Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - car still registered to me...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

thats a good idea rodney.. i'll save it as last resort, as i'd hate to sentence the car to the crusher.. but if i can't get it sorted, that's where it's going :)

Think you'd need to return the log book for that...otherwise anyone could do it...hence there being more log books than actual cars in the country...;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

Sids Not wrote: »
    Think you'd need to return the log book for that...otherwise anyone could do it...hence there being more log books than actual cars in the country...;);)

do you not think i could order a replacement log book, seeing as i am still the registered owner? that way i can scrap it and send the book back in? for the sake of €20 or whatever the replacement cost is, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

do you not think i could order a replacement log book, seeing as i am still the registered owner? that way i can scrap it and send the book back in? for the sake of €20 or whatever the replacement cost is, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind..

............thats probably your best bet. Do you have any idea who now owns it ? Could you look it up, perhaps his surname and area ? Otherwise you'd have to get replacement docs and ask them what else you need for permanent export ?

Personally I think the Gardai could be a bit more helpful to you, and I think they could probably find who the insurer is.

It does seem odd that you've had no Tax reminders, as mentioned already AND I would say its most likely it is being used by someone with trade plates until its 30th birthday arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Don't think you can scrap a car these days without a cert of destruction - and AFAIK any company that can issue one of these certs will want the shell with the chassis number printed on it to crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Trade insurance does not require a registration number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It only cost €12 and takes a two/three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭beanderb4

man that car was beautiful.

why did you sell it - particularly after getting the heads done!!:confused:

get the car back - i'll buy it off you and you can keep the volvo!!:D

hope the head is well after lastsaturday night out.:cool:

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Not too sure about claiming that the car was stolen is a good idea as you might have a lawsuit knocking on your door die slander by the present owner
    Get down to your solicitor and pay him a couple of bob to draft a letter stating that you sold the car with that registration 7 years ago. Bang it off to the Dept of transport and let them make a note of it.
    Keep a copy of the letter yourself
    did the guy not ask for a receipt given that I am sure that he didn't pay 200 euros for the car?!?
    With the government hungry for cash the gardai are clamping down on car tax evaders so in time he will get nabbed and when he has to tax the car he might have to pay arrears given that the car should be flagged having received your letter
    he has a headache a comin

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I think if you can get to the Dept. Of Transport in Shannon, and explain to them your problem, they will be able to advise you. In relation to Road Tax, I bougth a Volvo recently, and it had not been Taxed since 1992 (30 Years). The Dept still had the records of it. So much for the clampdown on road tax offenders

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Thoughtful of you to reply mattroche, but this thread is over a year old now. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Oooppps, I did not look at the year, Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

In before this thread is closed.Maybe its still not sorted:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement