Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - car still registered to me...

Options
  • 21-03-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

hey folks,

in 2004 i sold a classic car to someone claiming to be a dealer. he asked me if he could send the change of ownership details in on my behalf, when he sold the car on. being niave and happy with the cash, i agreed.

last week i recieved a penalty from eflow saying that the car registered in my name failed to pay the toll. this is the car i sold 7 years ago...

i spoke to the VRO and garda, and they said i need to know the details of the new owner before they can change the ownership and move me to a previous owner status... 7 years is a long time, and i have no idea who i sold the car to now..

so i got a declaration of change of ownership form, which i need to fill out in front of a commissioner for oaths, but the form is all about the new owners details.. :confused:

what do i do? anyone have this happen to them before? what i'm really worried about is speeding fines, points etc, which could all end up on my licence if this guys carries on driving the car...

thanks,

last

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can you not remember anything, or dig anything out about the guy? Even a phone number?

What is the car? someone might be able to place it and you could track him down that way.

Have you not been getting tax demands?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

hi Dades, thanks for the response..

nope, I've not received a thing from the tax office, garda, etc in 7 years.. i thought the car was gone to be honest.

the car is a 1980, so i am thinking he may have stored it for a while, or only used it very little, while he waited for the 30 year mark to come up.

i dont really want to give any specific details of the issue here, as it's uncontrolled. with regards to the guys name, all i remember is his surname, which stood out at the time.

actually, seeing as the car is still in my name, i guess it's ok to put up a few pics..

anyone know this car, or it's current whereabouts? :) hopefully it's in as good a condition as when i sold it...

058p01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

This is tricky. same happened to me a few years back, although not a classic. I got a call from the guards in Killarney to tell me to remove the car, as it was abandoned. they left me in no doubt as to that I was reponsible for it. I would contact a solicitor to see where you stand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I reckon it's been laid up for a bit too.
    Maybe he'll register the new ownership now he's in the market for €48 tax. :pac:

Can't be too many blue 928's with checked interior about, I'd have thought.

Can you get eFlow to send you the toll pic to verify it was your car - you might be able to see the driver?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

How is it possible that the car is still registered to you, at your address, and yet you haven't received a single motor tax reminder form in the last 7 years?

That's seems incredibly strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Seeing as its still "your" car..its a pity you didnt report it stolen and get it back..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Get it back as its still in your name & I'll buy it off you!!!!

Please??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

well if the eflow is €3, might it be a idea to pay that and then deal with the change of ownership seperately?

This would mean that you wouldnt have the hastle of eflow trying to get money out of you seperately which very quickly goes up and up in money.

I have no idea how to sort out the ownership problem im afraid as the guards are not being that helpful.

H

Sids Not wrote: »
    Seeing as its still "your" car..its a pity you didnt report it stolen and get it back..;)

believe me, i've given it some serious thought :)

• Advertisement

hplp wrote: »
    well if the eflow is €3, might it be a idea to pay that and then deal with the change of ownership seperately?

This would mean that you wouldnt have the hastle of eflow trying to get money out of you seperately which very quickly goes up and up in money.

I have no idea how to sort out the ownership problem im afraid as the guards are not being that helpful.

H

yup, i paid it and am taking the change of ownership up separately. just hope he's not a regular commuter now..

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

anyone know this car, or it's current whereabouts? :)

I reckon there's only 2 "G" reg 928s in the country and the other one is mine :D

Sure, we'll all keep a look out. I'm actually surprised the Gardai can't / won't find out who is the current owner. It would be easy enough if they could access insurance details, surely? Or maybe it's not insured? Yikes...

what i'm hoping is the current owner has had it laid up and only brought it out for shows and track days, etc. and that he has genuinely no idea the car is still in my name..and has a garage insurance policy (?)

anyone in the porsche club, or similar car clubs, seen a blue 928 lurking at mondello, or at events at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gene Hunt

Now that you sorted e-flow if I were you I'd send a letter to Shannon stating that you sold the car to someone in a different country and the car has been exported and you have given the new owner the v5 or logbook so they can register the car in their country.
    That is all you can do now really, keeps you in the clear as they remove it off their system......as to what the fella driving around in it's going to do when he comes to putting her road legal that's his problem ,he didn't think of you when he's runnin the country in it.
    From experience that is what I did......it's exported!

what i'm hoping is the current owner has had it laid up and only brought it out for shows and track days, etc. and that he has genuinely no idea the car is still in my name..and has a garage insurance policy (?)

anyone in the porsche club, or similar car clubs, seen a blue 928 lurking at mondello, or at events at all?

I'll bet that's what it is!

It's been off the road & trailered to track days, shows etc. That's why there's never been an issue with Motor tax and eFlow.

Recently they put in rear number plate facing cameras (to catch people who were tailgating other vehicles so as not to have their no. plate read).
    Soooo.... a car that's on a trailer, that used to be ignored because the front plate couldn't be read, is now being caught by the rear facing camera.

Ask for a photo of the car and see if it's on a trailer. If it is you might also be able to make out the reg of the towing vehicle and you'll be one step closer to tracking the new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

report it stolen, 7 years ago, you only just noticed :D

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I normally go the the track days in Mondello for the Porsche days and I have never seen it. In fact their arent a huge amount of 928`s at the track days (must be those lazy autoboxes:))

thanks lightning, fyi it's a manual... dogleg and all. i threw it round mondello a few times and it handled pretty well.. the v8 was pretty sweet.

god, i'm really beginning to miss it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Gene Hunt wrote: »
    Now that you sorted e-flow if I were you I'd send a letter to Shannon stating that you sold the car to someone in a different country and the car has been exported and you have given the new owner the v5 or logbook so they can register the car in their country.
    That is all you can do now really, keeps you in the clear as they remove it off their system......as to what the fella driving around in it's going to do when he comes to putting her road legal that's his problem ,he didn't think of you when he's runnin the country in it.
    From experience that is what I did......it's exported!
    There's a little bit more to it then "Sending a letter" to Shannon. It needs to be an affadavit witnessed by a Commissioner for Oaths. I did this previously and the bloody thing was still registered in my name afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

-Chris- wrote: »
    Recently they put in rear number plate facing cameras (to catch people who were tailgating other vehicles so as not to have their no. plate read).
    Soooo.... a car that's on a trailer, that used to be ignored because the front plate couldn't be read, is now being caught by the rear facing camera
    Slightly off-topic - but I'm curious so I'm going to ask.

Does the above mean that if someone is towing a car on a transporter on the M50 now that they could get caught for double toll fees? One for the motor towing, and one for the motor on the transporter? :confused:

Not definite, but it would certainly make sense (or not, as the case may be :p).

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic - but I'm curious so I'm going to ask.

Does the above mean that if someone is towing a car on a transporter on the M50 now that they could get caught for double toll fees? One for the motor towing, and one for the motor on the transporter? :confused:

..and possibly one for the trailer too.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

A trailer should have the same reg as the car towing it and to be sure cover the reg of the car on the trailer. Problem solved.

A trailer should have the same reg as the car towing it and to be sure cover the reg of the car on the trailer. Problem solved.

How many times i've seen the opposite...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Maybe it was a misreading of the plate by the camera? It does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

professore wrote: »

That's a real possibility, I've had it happen to me a few times, I was out of the country with the keys of my car with me and I got a bill for going though the toll bridge. My daily driver has a few 8's and 0's which could be easily misread.

I've also seen a taxi with some black tape on his reg to turn one number into another, I guess for that reason.

professore wrote: »

unfortunately, the car is definitely registered to me.. garda confirmed it.. no outstanding fines, or penalties yet, thankfully.

just waiting on the pic from e-flow, before i make the next decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rodneys

report it as scrapped, :) then when he tries to do anything,sell,tax or insure think of the "fun" He'll have and then you can :D

thats a good idea rodney.. i'll save it as last resort, as i'd hate to sentence the car to the crusher.. but if i can't get it sorted, that's where it's going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

check to see if it's insured with any one. Legally it can only ad insured in your name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

ted1 wrote: »
    check to see if it's insured with any one. Legally it can only ad insured in your name.
    I'm guessing you meant "be" and not "ad" - but either way your information is incorrect. You can insure any vehicle, whether its registered to you or not. Though if its not registered to you then you have to have whats called "insurable interest" in the vehicle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement