Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chinese are coming!

Options
  • 21-03-2011 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody else notice this truly alarming picture on Yahoo today? It's a Chinese warship in the Mediterranean - ostensibly there for humanitarian reasons in connection with the Libyan crisis but with the Chinese aiming to replace the US as the global military superpower....
    article-1363440-0D5F9444000005DC-240_468x304.jpg

All the Western powers (including the USA) are trying to cut back on military expenditure and the Chinese are heading in the other direction. Who's financing it - we are. Everytime we buy Chinese products, be they top end goods like Wiis, Ipods etc. or cheap rubbish in the Euro shops we are contributing to the expansionist aims of the despotic Chinese regime. In much the same way as a Dublin.4. 'yuppie' buying coke helps fuel the drug wars and deprivation in other parts of Ireland. Talk about cutting our own throats.
    There is only going to be one outcome of the crazy arms race that the Chinese government are embarked upon and that is Armageddon. The senile old duffers in the Chinese Communist party will think nothing of trying to invade Taiwan when they feel that their navy is up to a stand-off with the USA. Am I being alarmist? Is it okay because were neutral? What is the answer? One thing for sure, doing nothing is not an option. The West has already stood back while China becomes the new big player in Africa but seeing them flex their military might on our doorstep is a step too far. I know that today China is, theoretically, our friend (we do lots of trade with them) just like we did with Saddam's Iraq, Khomeni's Iran and Gaddafi's Libya. :(

Piece from the Mail Online while being a tad sensationalist gives food for thought: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363440/After-Beijing-sends-frigate-Med-leading-author-poses-chilling-question--How-long-Chinese-aircraft-carrier-sails-Thames.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

+1. Nearly all the non-food items in our shops are now made in China. It may have Western or Japanese brand names, but its made in China.
    Consumers will yet rue the day they stopped supporting western manufacturers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

They are just dying for some European food in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Am I being alarmist?

Well, ya did go from the Euro shop to Armageddon in one fell swoop. Then linked to the Daily Wail, so, eh, yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Alarmist BS. The Chinese have bought so much European and American debt, what do you think would happen to that debt if they ever become hostile? The Chinese still only spend a tiny fraction on their military compared to NATO countries, if anything they have historically underfunded their military and are only beginning to correct that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

This thread is still open?

how so?

(say it with a Chinese accent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

All the Western powers (including the USA) are trying to cut back on military expenditure and the Chinese are heading in the other direction. Who's financing it - we are. Everytime we buy Chinese products, be they top end goods like Wiis, Ipods etc. or cheap rubbish in the Euro shops we are contributing to the expansionist aims of the despotic Chinese regime.

There is only going to be one outcome of the crazy arms race that the Chinese government are embarked upon and that is Armageddon. The senile old duffers in the Chinese Communist party will think nothing of trying to invade Taiwan when they feel that their navy is up to a stand-off with the USA. Am I being alarmist? Is it okay because were neutral? What is the answer? One thing for sure, doing nothing is not an option. The West has already stood back while China becomes the new big player in Africa but seeing them flex their military might on our doorstep is a step too far. I know that today China is, theoretically, our friend (we do lots of trade with them) just like we did with Saddam's Iraq, Khomeni's Iran and Gaddafi's Libya. :(

Piece from the Mail Online while being a tad sensationalist gives food for thought: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363440/After-Beijing-sends-frigate-Med-leading-author-poses-chilling-question--How-long-Chinese-aircraft-carrier-sails-Thames.html

I fail to see what we should be worried about. The US, the UK, Russia, and many other nations, have naval deployments across the globe, including the Med. Why should China be any different?

As for their military expenditure, it's true that there's been a huge increase, but it's been from a low base. As a percentage of GDP, China spends half as much on its military as the US, and less than several members of NATO. And it's playing catch up.

Finally, I see no real sign of Chinese expansionism beyond what it has traditionally claimed as its own territory. True, China has been snapping up resources around the globe, and striking partnerships with national governments to exploit such resources, but that's not expansionism. Every nation with some strategic vision and a sovereign wealth fund is doing the same.

I'm not stating this as a defence of China. The Communist Party can be brutally repressive, but China has enough problems at home, without setting out on expansionist adventures. The last time the country adopted such a policy was in the 15th century. It lasted a few decades, and then they abruptly turned in on themselves. I see no real evidence to suggest they're in the process of resurrecting that legacy.

EDIT: For the first time in my life, I've read a Daily Mail article in full. Everything people say about them is true! What a load of nonsense. Jesus Christ, the last time I read something as hysterically over the top as the final line, was Gibbon's stating that the Arab hordes might have reached Oxford had the Franks lost at Poitiers in 732! Reason enough to ignore that particular author is the following line regarding Libyan intervention: "But France, Russia and China resolutely oppose force." Such penetrating insight. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Why is a Chinese superpower any worse than an American superpower? They seem to be just interested in doing business which benefits everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Food for thought, with the nutritional value of sawdust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just to get one thing straight, I don't get my news from the Daily Mail, or any other newspaper, but I linked to the piece as it was the first item I came across with a photograph of the offending vessel. I don't make up my mind or think about things just because they are topical either. I have long considered China as a growing threat due to their military ambitions and there's no point burying your head in the sand over it. That said, they are just as likely to have a go at Russia as the US but that still leaves us heading for a nuclear showdown. The fact remains that China is yet another military dictatorship that Western countries go out of their way to be nice to. Any chance of some rational comments - without reference to my Daily Mail link - this isn't After Hours?

Another link here refers to growing tensions between India and China - more alarmist claptrap? http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=4776&Cat=13&dt=3/21/2011

and here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/04/us-china-defence-idUSTRE7230ZN20110304 from Reuters refers to tensions with Japan and how the announced spending rises should be taken with a grain of salt coming as they do from a regime that is unaccountable to its own citizens i.e. they may in fact be spending far more on military spending than admitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭phosphate

The US spend more on "defence" than the rest of the world COMBINED.

• Advertisement

phosphate wrote: »
    The US spend more on "defence" than the rest of the world COMBINED.

Proving what exactly in the context of my concern about the Chinese?

Proving what exactly in the context of my concern about the Chinese?

That your concerns aren't really valid?

China is atleast 10-15 years away from becoming anywhere near advanced as US for causing death and mayhem.

Certainly they'll get there but I don't think you have anything to worry about today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Anybody else notice this truly alarming picture on Yahoo today?

Alarming to who?!
    It wasnt the Chinese who invaded and destroyed this country for 800 years, it was the west.
    I welcome any challenge to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

You know its just possible the world doesn't work on a scary ass them vrs us war mentality anymore theres simply no point to it when you have nukes and the likes if china does "take over" they will do it as america did with culture trade and ideas not a few warships in the med frankly i dont see it happening anyway.

Predator_ wrote: »
    Alarming to who?!
    It wasnt the Chinese who invaded and destroyed this country for 800 years, it was the west.
    I welcome any challenge to the west.

Alarming to me obviously or I wouldn't have posted. As for the rest of your post - get over it, it's called history, evolution whatever. You might as well blame the Romans for oppressing us as the British or perhaps the Vikings - how far do you want to go back. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the Chinese sabre rattling and flexing of military might which will lead to a conflict sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is only going to be one outcome of the crazy arms race that the Chinese government are embarked upon and that is Armageddon. The senile old duffers in the Chinese Communist party will think nothing of trying to invade Taiwan when they feel that their navy is up to a stand-off with the USA.

Am I being alarmist?

The Chinese have discovered something that will maintain the peace - MONEY!

mike65 wrote: »
    The Chinese have discovered something that will maintain the peace - MONEY!

I hope so but I doubt it, it's almost like the progression from being an economic power to military power is evolution and can't be held back. :(

Just to get one thing straight, I don't get my news from the Daily Mail, or any other newspaper, but I linked to the piece as it was the first item I came across with a photograph of the offending vessel. I don't make up my mind or think about things just because they are topical either. I have long considered China as a growing threat due to their military ambitions and there's no point burying your head in the sand over it. That said, they are just as likely to have a go at Russia as the US but that still leaves us heading for a nuclear showdown. The fact remains that China is yet another military dictatorship that Western countries go out of their way to be nice to. Any chance of some rational comments - without reference to my Daily Mail link - this isn't After Hours?

Another link here refers to growing tensions between India and China - more alarmist claptrap? http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=4776&Cat=13&dt=3/21/2011

and here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/04/us-china-defence-idUSTRE7230ZN20110304 from Reuters refers to tensions with Japan and how the announced spending rises should be taken with a grain of salt coming as they do from a regime that is unaccountable to its own citizens i.e. they may in fact be spending far more on military spending than admitted.

China isn't a military dictatorship, it's a technocratic oligarchy. Power is not concentrated in any one persons hands but rather in a number of senior communist party figures. And they do not stem from the military, they are mainly come from engineering and scientific backgrounds and by most accounts they're viewed as moderate and conservative.

sink wrote: »
    China isn't a military dictatorship, it's a technocratic oligarchy. Power is not concentrated in any one persons hands but rather in a number of senior communist party figures. And they do not stem from the military, they are mainly come from engineering and scientific backgrounds and by most accounts they're viewed as moderate and conservative.

Call it what you like. The unelected communist party officials run the country and the army and that's a military dictatorship what ever way you add it up - in my book.

Call it what you like. The unelected communist party officials run the country and the army and that's a military dictatorship what ever way you add it up - in my book.

No, a military dictatorship is when one senior military figure controls the country with absolute authority. China has no one single leader with absolute authority, none of Chinas leaders come from a military background therefore China is not a military dictatorship. You can call it many things such as a police state, totalitarian and oppressive, but it is not under any sensible definition a military dictatorship.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    No, a military dictatorship is when one senior military figure controls the country with absolute authority. China has no one single leader with absolute authority, none of Chinas leaders come from a military background therefore China is not a military dictatorship. You can call it many things such as a police state, totalitarian and oppressive, but it is not under any sensible definition a military dictatorship.

Okay - a totalitarian, oppressive, military regime - will that do?

How many countries have China invaded in last 10 years?

Then tell me how many the US have invaded or attacked...

Okay - a totalitarian, oppressive, military regime - will that do?

Not a military regime! You know words tend to have specific meaning you can't just substitute one for the other and expect to make sense.

Military regimes by their composition tend to be more militaristic, China is not governed by the military and tends to take a less militaristic approach. In international relations it prefers to use soft economic power rather than hard edged military might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Isn't China just extremely authoritarian capitalist?

How many countries have China invaded in last 10 years?

Then tell me how many the US have invaded or attacked...

Regardless of that, I feel less threatened by the US than the Chinese. :rolleyes:

Also, it is only now that the Chinese are getting near to being in a position to invade anywhere with the modernisation of their armed forces - especially their navy. Their last big adventure was in 1979 against North Vietnam which saw them humilated.

Regardless of that, I feel less threatened by the US than the Chinese.

oh, well that's okay then, as long as they aren't pissing on you, no problem.
    Also, it is only now that the Chinese are getting near to being in a position to invade anywhere with the modernisation of their armed forces - especially their navy.

So you have good reason to believe they will invade a country?
    Their last big adventure was in 1979 against North Vietnam which saw them humilated.

Are we talking about the US or China? :D just joking..
    This all reminds me of the South Park edition 'The Chinese Problem'

Many people believe that China will be the next empire.
    We had the Greeks, the Romans, The British, The Americans and now it's China's turn to dominate the world.

Regardless of that, I feel less threatened by the US than the Chinese. :rolleyes:

Also, it is only now that the Chinese are getting near to being in a position to invade anywhere with the modernisation of their armed forces - especially their navy. Their last big adventure was in 1979 against North Vietnam which saw them humilated.

It is along way from being able to project military power beyond it's immediate borders. For one thing that requires aircraft carriers and the Chinese have none. It has a number of amphibious assault vessels but without air cover they would be sitting ducks. They could invade Taiwan or Japan with fighter cover from the mainland but they could not go much farther.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looks like a SIGINT play not a Projection as such :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

oh, well that's okay then, as long as they aren't pissing on you, no problem.

So you have good reason to believe they will invade a country?

Are we talking about the US or China? :D just joking..
    This all reminds me of the South Park edition 'The Chinese Problem'

Many people believe that China will be the next empire.
    We had the Greeks, the Romans, The British, The Americans and now it's China's turn to dominate the world.

I find their relatively recent history a tad worrying, from government created famine in the 1950s that killed millions of Chinese, to the government imposed madness that was the Cultural Revolution of the 60s.

and the current intolerance towards dissent is not encouraging either.

Obviously, since the death of Mao, things have been improving. But its not that long ago. Modern China is very much an unknown quantity and with an unpredictable future ahead of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

We will be ok , Michael Martin can negotiate with them in a Chinese accent

Advertisement