Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2011 (Voting Thursday March 24)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

I found a poster suggesting Sharon Brosnan for president yesterday in the Main Building. I didn't go further down that corridor in case I found a lost city or a dead body.

I think Finn did a good job as Communications Officer. Don't be mean Squidman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Tara,

Why did you say in the An Focal election spread you're a class rep when you're not registered with the union?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

sceptre wrote: »
    At the half-way point, it might interest some to see how well people are doing on their facebook fan pages. It's worth noting that some people will dedicate more time than others to their facebook pages (keep in mind that some people have "proper" webpages outside of facebook), some pages may have been set up earlier than others and that a number of candidates will have little focus on their facebook presence compared with actually going and talking to people. So it's not actually an indication of anything more than the number of fans each page has.

But with the above in mind, taking the facebook pages listed on the ULSU elections event page, here's a list of the number of "fans" each candidate page has:

President
    Derek Daly - 107
    Enda Gallery - 104
    Keith Young - 2

I know that Keith has been having problems with his page on facebook for people to like, but if you click "like" on it serveral times it will connect you!

Lets hope none of us have tech problems on Thursday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

NewShoes wrote: »
    I know that Keith has been having problems with his page on facebook for people to like, but if you click "like" on it serveral times it will connect you!
    Yeah, as I mentioned in the opener to the post, it's really more of a interesting curiosity to post rather than any indication of anything more. I fully expect Keith to be firmly in the running at the very least when the votes are cast and counted.
    Lets hope none of us have tech problems on Thursday!!
    Let's:) Having worked with the person who Derek mentioned was dealing with the company that wrote the voting software, I'm happy to say that I've rarely met someone as diligent and competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

While I am campaigning for Kelly, this is my own personal opinion and not anybody else's

I don't think Keith would be the optimal candidate for the Communication's office. The majority of people fail to realise that, despite common belief, An Focal takes up 75% of the CO's time. Keith does not have experience with the newspaper, so it would not benefit it at all. It would be a huge shame to see what has thrived this year and had unprecedented effort exerted into it fall into a debased state. Saying that he will "continue the high standards" does not really cut it- how is he going to do that? Also not everybody is capable of writing for a newspaper, or editing one for that matter.
    I do agree that an increased web presence is needed however Kelly has also pledged to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Susicia

To start, I would like to declare my allegiance to AOIFE KENNY!

Barry 'the Baz' Kennedy. Although this 'man' has been a class rep longer than Aoife, he has achieved alot less. Aoife has been elected as the Kemmy Business School Faculty Officer and has organised the KBS Ball this year (which was a great success).

Has anyone actually heard of Mr. Kennedy being actively involved in the Union by providing a service to students? Not me anyway, and certainly not ALL of students I know.

So Barry Kennedy isn't involved in the Union at all I see you say? And "all" of the students you know think the same you say? Good to know you've done such good research by actually taking the time to ask *everyone* you know, clearly you're a reliable source of information...

5 years of Class Rep not enough for you but Aoife's one is eh? Deputy chair of Class reps Council not good enough for you? Barry Kennedy has worked on over 30 campaigns during his years (Alcohol Policy Referendum, Carparking Protest, naming just two and we're not just talking *taking part* we're talking help promote and run...) and you may be a bit too young to remember Mister Kennedy spending a week in first year over exam week shamelessly carrying a board offering free hugs to bring attention to Mental Health Week.
    Barry was also on the ERB Referendum Board, Class Rep Development Group and Campaigns Working Group... So yeah... Not involved?

Supporting Barry Kennedy for Education Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

Susicia wrote: »
    So Barry Kennedy isn't involved in the Union at all I see you say? And "all" of the students you know think the same you say? Good to know you've done such good research by actually taking the time to ask *everyone* you know, clearly you're a reliable source of information...

5 years of Class Rep not enough for you but Aoife's one is eh? Deputy chair of Class reps Council not good enough for you? Barry Kennedy has worked on over 30 campaigns during his years (Alcohol Policy Referendum, Carparking Protest, naming just two and we're not just talking *taking part* we're talking help promote and run...) and you may be a bit too young to remember Mister Kennedy spending a week in first year over exam week shamelessly carrying a board offering free hugs to bring attention to Mental Health Week.
    Barry was also on the ERB Referendum Board, Class Rep Development Group and Campaigns Working Group... So yeah... Not involved?

No need to feed the trolls Susicia ;)
    Smokey Bacon is playing mirror image to SaltandVinegar methinks. Compare his style of post to SnV's on pages 4 and 6...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sinaydk

Despite the fact that experience is important, at the end of the day its about the right person being elected to the right position...Its not a 'who has spent more hours in the SU' competition, it's an election for a professional job. Both candidates have different experiences and achievements under their belt, so its about choosing the right person for the job. Whether their individual achievements are helpful or not is up to each voter....

Barry was also on the ERB Referendum Board, Class Rep Development Group and Campaigns Working Group

As the currenty Class reps development officer, he hasn't attended any of my working group meetings.

I'd like some dates of these alleged persuits, Just so the voters now how much experience he actually has.

And I've been stand in Deputy chair at Class reps council, it offers no experience except for being able to turn on a projecter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kristinkenny1

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Tara,

Why did you say in the An Focal election spread you're a class rep when you're not registered with the union?

Hi guys,
    This is Kristin Kenny here on behalf of a very busy Tara Feeney! Unfortunately there was a mistake, which Tara has emailed the editor about- I would just like to clarify that Tara Feeney is not a class rep, (but respects them very much!!) and has NEVER claimed to be one in any way, either through An Focal, her manifesto, facebook or canvassing! It's a mix up. Hopefully Finn will be able to clarify this, and if anyone has any doubts or questions we have the original typed doc sent to An Focal. please don't hesitate to contact me via Facebook or Tara herself.

All the Best

Kristin Kenny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

While I am campaigning for Kelly, this is my own personal opinion and not anybody else's

I don't think Keith would be the optimal candidate for the Communication's office. The majority of people fail to realise that, despite common belief, An Focal takes up 75% of the CO's time. Keith does not have experience with the newspaper, so it would not benefit it at all. It would be a huge shame to see what has thrived this year and had unprecedented effort exerted into it fall into a debased state. Saying that he will "continue the high standards" does not really cut it- how is he going to do that? Also not everybody is capable of writing for a newspaper, or editing one for that matter.
    I do agree that an increased web presence is needed however Kelly has also pledged to do this.

That is the unfortunate compromise that has to take place, Finn and his predecessors have put in a lot of work to make An Focal one of the best student newspapers (as evident in the awards its picking up), but I think that it is a shame that the Communications Officers time is taken up 75% with the newspaper.

I would be be happier with someone who does not spend as much time on it and improves the online aspect of the office. Kelly has promised to do this and did Finn and so did Aoife, they all added bits and pieces, the online newspaper is fantastic. If someone who has the ability to give the whole thing an overhaul and set it up for future COs who come into office there would be a much greater long term benefit to the Union.

The newspaper may falter and not receive as many awards if the current system of the CO being the editor, maybe the editorial duties should be given to someone else as I am sure there are many different aspiring journalists that would love to say they edited a few issues of their student newspaper without having to run for a sabat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

day 2 of campaigning over and tbh I've never been on such a sugar crash...epic time I'm having though.
    i know who my votes are going to for welfare (obviously) and education...after that undecided,

thanks for the responses for on the U.S.I. guys...have a better picture of that particular issue.

Good luck in the hustings to all btw

entropic wrote: »
    That is the unfortunate compromise that has to take place, Finn and his predecessors have put in a lot of work to make An Focal one of the best student newspapers (as evident in the awards its picking up), but I think that it is a shame that the Communications Officers time is taken up 75% with the newspaper.

I would be be happier with someone who does not spend as much time on it and improves the online aspect of the office. Kelly has promised to do this and did Finn and so did Aoife, they all added bits and pieces, the online newspaper is fantastic. If someone who has the ability to give the whole thing an overhaul and set it up for future COs who come into office there would be a much greater long term benefit to the Union.

The newspaper may falter and not receive as many awards if the current system of the CO being the editor, maybe the editorial duties should be given to someone else as I am sure there are many different aspiring journalists that would love to say they edited a few issues of their student newspaper without having to run for a sabat.

There are already 6 subeditors (Deputy and 5 sectional editors) so the editing is quite evenly divided out. However the CO still needs to read most the content for obvious reasons and do quite an amount of tedious work in preparing it to go the graphic designer. There are also issues such as advertising to deal with, which might I add, provides substantial revenue. There is no easy way to spend less time doing this, generally, without letting the paper turn into something unacceptably unprofessional. The work needs to be done. I would become extremely irate if a candidate's mandate were to "Spend less time" on the paper and leave it "Falter". If thats what their work ethic and attitude were, then goodness help us. It's current standard is something we should be proud of, we've already won an award this year as a result and will potentially collect more at the smedias. That is what makes us stand out over the rest, and while you may not wish for that, many many others do. Like I've said I'm not anti-online but it should not come at the expense of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I think this is quite unfair - or at least ignores the possibility that Keith's high attention to detail, approachable demeanour, willingness to help, a genuine and determined work ethic etc, etc. are not skills/attributes that are transferable or valid in the area of An Focal?

Also, it the statement assumes that 75% of the work SHOULD be An Focal. Who decided that?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jasonpkennedy

entropic wrote: »
    I would be be happier with someone who does not spend as much time on it and improves the online aspect of the office. Kelly has promised to do this and did Finn and so did Aoife, they all added bits and pieces, the online newspaper is fantastic.

Kelly, Aoife and Finn are three completely different candidates. You can't judge Kelly on what other candidates did or didn't do in the past.

I think this is quite unfair - or at least ignores the possibility that Keith's high attention to detail, approachable demeanour, willingness to help, a genuine and determined work ethic etc, etc. are not skills/attributes that are transferable or valid in the area of An Focal?

Also, it the statement assumes that 75% of the work SHOULD be An Focal. Who decided that?

They are indeed transferable, but there are many specific journalism related skills one would not learn overnight.

That is in relation to the amount of work that needs to be done to produce the paper. I don't think it was decided x amount of time should be spent on it, it falls on what needs to be done to produce it.

For the record, nowhere in the ULSU constitution does it state there must be a newspaper.

(Although I'd be extremely upset to see it go, don't get me wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

They are indeed transferable, but there are many specific journalism related skills one would not learn overnight.

That is in relation to the amount of work that needs to be done to produce the paper. I don't think it was decided x amount of time should be spent on it, it falls on what needs to be done to produce it.

I agree with Tony.

The position is for Communications officer, not newspaper editor. Why should a newspaper, that comes out once every two weeks, be the main point of communication for 10,000+ students?

Do you not think that in this day and age, more emphasis should be placed on moving things online? By the time An Focal comes out, half of it is old news!

I do agree that the paper should continue to exist, but surely you cant overlook the advantages of modern technology in this day and age?

TO be quite honest, the last 2/3 years the position seems to have been filled by people who are using the position to springboard themselves into a career in Journalism. Not saying anything is wrong with this, just that it would be nice to see a change!

Just my two cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Don't understand how that is different to any other job within the SU - in fact for any other job full stop.
    Sabbat positions have never been advertised as "must have journalism/campaign management/diplomatic/teaching/negotiating/counselling experience"

This is an election - where people stand on their skill set and policies. Someone can have great policies but a limited skill set, a great skill set but limited policies, be crap at both or be exceptional at both - that goes for any position and people are free to decide with their vote who it is that they feel should be within the role.
    I just don't think you're comment is in any way constructive - it doesn't propose an alternative candidate; it simply (and in my opinion: falsely) outlines your perceived negative points about a candidate (as if it were fact).

From the conversations I have had with Keith, I see him as a talented (APPROPRIATELY talented) and dedicated candidate who would be embarrassed to allow the current standards to slip, who would do all in his power to not allow that to happen, who would look to the potential of where the role can go and always with an eye on how it serves the student.

These are the kinds of qualities that employers look for and as the electorate, we are effectively the interviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jasonpkennedy

I can't think of one person that I know running in this batch of elections that are in it for any other reason than to make the SU the best it can be. I'm pretty confident that whatever the outcome later in the week, the next SU will be a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thedesertman

CO is a demanding job, it doesn't require certain skills as a prerequisite. They are an advantage as editing does take time, writing does take time, but with experience it makes a big difference.

An Focal does take up much of the CO's time, but even while dealing with An Focal the CO will be dealing with enquiries, from emails, telephone and also people calling in. At the end of the day its a demanding job.

An Focal is one of the main outlets from the SU to the general student population. Keeping a high standard for An Focal is important, as shown by the 400% increase on online viewing of the paper. The majority of the information is up to date and any that is old actually is just providing students with more information about that particular event.

Modern technology isn't being overlooked, look how successful ULSU's facebook page is. Both candidates manifestoes detail how the want to improve this.

Both Kelly and Keith have some excellent ideas and are hard workers, but I think Kellys experience should count to her, Finn was in a similar position last year with similar experience and look what he managed to do. Imagine what Kelly, given the chance, could do?

At the end of the day its who could do the best job, and this is just my opinion, I think Kelly is the best person, with the enthusiasm to succeed in this role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YoungSeery

Hi Folks

My name is Niamh Seery and I am a recent graduate of Economics and Sociology. I currently work in UL as a Social Media and Marketing Assistant for a new start up company based in UL.

I wish all candidates the best of luck this week and I hope everyone involved in the campaigns have a great time. I was previously involved in Lorcan's Campaign last year and it was one of the most memorable experiences in UL I had. (Thank you Lorcan )The people I met from within Lorcans campaign team and from the other candidates & campaign team.. Are some of my closets friends today.. We had a great laugh and there was great FUN rivalry between us and Viv's team..
    We all wished each other the best of luck in every team and promoted whoever we wanted , by explaning why they should be elected.. based on policies, experience etc etc.. NOT by slamming the other Candidate !!!

It is to my disapointed to see the atmosphere has certainly changed this year.. Even with this Cheese&Onion, and Smoky Bacon... Aoife V's Baz.. I think you should let Aoife and Baz speak for themselves.. rather than biting at one another.. As it sets the standard so low on boards.ie....
    Stop putting one another down, and start debating about their manifestos and policies.. I recommend some reading.. As regards to Campaign table on the red raisins.. Dont judge by appearances.. Go up and ask some questions and be informed.. Get to know Barry . Great man !!! and Aoife is a lady also..

As regards to this sort of stupid snapping at one another.. in this ''pretend polite manner''.. Its Awful ! and I would nearly be ashamed to let any of my NUIG, AIT friends read this forum. So please to everyone of you !!!!! Go to the Hustings and get informed, rather than reading this Rubbish on Boards.ie..

Peace Out !!!
    Niamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YoungSeery

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

Hi everyone!

Just some things that I have to get out of me :p
    Keeping a high standard for An Focal is important, as shown by the 400% increase on online viewing of the paper.

To quote Finn McDuffie, "Online readership of An Focal has actually increased by 1000% as of today".
    Modern technology isn't being overlooked

It most certainly isn't. People seem to overlook the fact that I, too, have plans for the website. I also have plans to introduce podcasts.

There is no such thing as An Focal candidate vs. Skynet candidate. Anyone who reads my manifesto will see that An Focal is not my only point of focus.

The fact that I already know how to compile and edit An Focal means that I will not get bogged down with it. I will not struggle with An Focal because I know how to deal with it's deadlines already. This knowledge will leave me free to use my New Media and English degree and introduce podcasts, improve the website drastically and work towards the resurrection of the radio station.

I have wanted this position since 2008 (my first year) when I first started writing for Seamus Ryan, past PPO and Editor of An Focal and Review Magazine.
    Imagine what Kelly, given the chance, could do?

I do not know who you are but I am touched :)
    I appreciate the support, it means a lot to me.

I would also like to say that I have tried, and failed, to stay away from boards. I think that the forum can get quite derrogatory and, while I appreciate the support from people posting in my favour, I would rather that any questions be
    1) asked of me at hustings
    2) asked of me at my stall
    3) emailed to me directly

I apologize for my frankness in this post. My Campaign Manager will probably flay me for it in the morning. But I'm only just getting home, I'm sleep deprived and emotional and I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Boom. No more boards for me. Goodnight!

Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thedesertman

YoungSeery wrote: »

We all wished each other the best of luck in every team and promoted whoever we wanted , by explaning why they should be elected.. based on policies, experience etc etc.. NOT by slamming the other Candidate !!!

I'd also like to agree here with Niamh, I also campaigned last year, and even if there is a competitive rivalry between the different teams, there is no need to be slating other candidates, support whoever here, discuss policy etc. Don't slate people..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 optimised

Mental Health, Alcohol awareness and the Drive Safety campaign are all campaigns I feel to be important. I must credit the union on their driver safety campaign this year, it had the shock horror effect hoped for.
    But I feel more can be done for Mental Health and Alcohol awareness.

For example, since september, I have come across at least 8 students suffering from all kinds of Mental Illnesses, who have not received any treatment or support due to something as simple as not knowing who to ask or being scared for being judged. In university, it is essential that we have in place services so that sufferers can get the help they need before their illnesses develops, the earlier we do something the better.
    Alcohol awareness- linked directly and indirectly with Mental Health. I think this should be a big issue as we are students, we all drink. There has never been a night out where I haven't seen a shamefully disgraceful student, covered in vomit, stumble home. Surely this is something that would be best targeted in first year, while young naive minds are being moulded.
    Anyone to cut it short, I have read all the Welfare manifesto's and have not seen any great litrature in relation to either of these major issues meaning I will with-hold my vote for Welfare until one of the Canditates decides to review their polocies somewhat.
    I understand that it is hard to please everybody, but these topics affect a serious amount of U.L students.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Finn won TV3 Student Newspaper of the Year on Vincent Browne and is nominated for numerous Student Media Awards. Keith or Kelly would be doing well if they lived up his standard. Can't please everyone...

It wouldn't have taken Mr. McDuff to include plain text in his mass communications. I made him aware of the issue in the last semester and after a few mails he reverted to the image only ones again. the SU is supposed to be inclusive and he failed in that department

Vincent Browne isn't a student in the University he should have been more concerned with his union members first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

optimised wrote: »
    For example, since september, I have come across at least 8 students suffering from all kinds of Mental Illnesses, who have not received any treatment or support due to something as simple as not knowing who to ask or being scared for being judged. In university, it is essential that we have in place services so that sufferers can get the help they need before their illnesses develops, the earlier we do something the better.
    Well, UL has support for that. There's an entire counselling department up there on the CM corridor. And while American (for example) students come over to Ireland on Study Abroad and know to ask about that department and how to access their services, Irish students don't. Or frequently even think about it.

The biggest issues there are information and attitude. Somehow (and frequently I wonder how), UL students appear to be unaware that the counselling department exists as a friendly service for those who need it. And then there's the attitude issue, where many Irish people tend to fall into two categories: those who won't (or feel they can't) talk about problems and those who talk about nothing else. Obviously it's the first group that need help.

While there needs to be a major shift in Irish attitudes away from many people regarding someone as "a mental" if they need any sort of mental health help or counselling, at the UL end it's just as important. Acting as an orientation guide over a number of years I know I was at pains to point out the helpful nature of the counselling department and what they had to offer and I know others were as well, though some were less, erm, helpful. But getting that information re availability to students and honing the attitude that it's perfectly OK to avail of the services seems to be the stumbling block. It's fine to suggest being awesome but, after all, someone can be both awesome and depressed (I know I have some awesome friends who are). I don't currently have a solution. Well, except for time and changing attitudes but that's rather a long time. An incoming Welfare officer would do well to come up with a good plan on that one (I'm not saying to include it a manifesto, just go do it after being elected) because, despite best efforts over the past 20 years in UL-land, there hasn't been a good solution. It's one clear example where the Americans are streets ahead.

(oh, completely agree with what you said by the way:))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

And just an adendum tomy previous post in response to jasonpkennedy

My main issue is with the email communications to the students, awards for the newspaper have nothing to do with that,

In a way it is not that important now, I would just like to see the new comms officer promise to make communications to the students more accessible . fancy emails are pointless if some people are unable to read them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

So let's get this right.....because there's some seriously interesting math here.....
    prefer a candidate who has spent no time around college (because if you spend ANY there, you know what the average student is like) - approx 80%

Ridiculous, and I never said this, Even the the most gifted student needs to spend a certain amount of time in college to get their degree.
    couldn't give a toss about the SU - approx 80%

About right
    no involvement with the SU - approx 80%

I got this wrong. Probably 95%.
    rates charity week as THE most important issue for students in an environment where introduction of fees still hangs over students, grants have been reduced, alcohol, stress and depression are all issues - approx 80%

Again I probably got this wrong. More than 80% i'd say. If you or others spent time out amongst the regular student you might know this.

Voter turnout for last several years - approx 25%..........

So it looks like the main of the 25% have involvement with the SU, care about it, value it and it's functions...... but that's apparently wrong!?

No it's not. But just like in this great country of ours, the bum who scabs off social welfare has the same rights as the politically involved stockbroker. Just as the lazy college student who never goes in has the same rights as the head of the SU "clique". It's called a democracy

But sure according to you
    Every time this clique thing comes up it appears to do 2 things (I seem to be getting fond of putting things down to 2 things - if I do run for anything, expect it to be a short manifesto!):
    identify those who are quite simply jealous of not having such distinguished company

It's kinda hard to take any point you make serious after reading the single funniest thing ive seen in my 4 years here

Advertisement