Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2011 (Voting Thursday March 24)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cheese and Onion Tayto

I Cheese and Onion Tayto declare my loyalty to Aoife Kenny. :)

I do not agree with Salt and Vinegar's opinions infact, Smokey Bacon and I were talking about this and he's no friend of ours!

I would encourage people to go talk to her before you judge! Same applies to all candidates. Wouldn't mind a Tayto sandwich with a few of them!;)

This election is being taken way too seriously. Enjoy the week candidates!!

Tayto #1

On Thursday, when its CRUNCH time, don't be a couch potato and vote!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

So Cheese and Onion and Smokey Bacon are teaming up against Salt and Vinegar?

Seems even crisp flavors can't help forming cliques nowadays. When will this cronyism end?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bearing in mind that I've no preference for DP/Welfare, don't know any of the three candidates and to my knowledge have never even met any of them so there's no way I'm advancing anyone's candidacy (but my wackland detector is active)...
    BOLAND Will Be Around When Others Can’t Be Found!

<snip>

as a former Class Rep and ULSU Shop Broad member, I have proven my organisation and coordination ability and have shown myself to be a team player but more importantly I believe I have shown myself to be approachable, reliable and dependable.

How does that square with Eamonn Boland having been deemed resigned as a class rep and ULSU shop board member for missing requisite meetings without sending the required apologies/notice? I mean, the requirement to stay in the roles isn't even that the meetings have to be attended or even that there has to be an excuse offered, it's just a simple email that has to be sent saying that he won't be there.

I can't square the circle of being reliable, dependable or being around when others can't be found with not turning up (or even saying that he won't be there). But if Eamonn (as the candidate) or Ciarán (as the campaign manager) can, that'd be cool. In the absence of that, it's not that easy to believe any of what I've quoted to be anything other than a handy election line thought up to get votes from the unaware.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cheese and Onion Tayto

Nagoh wrote: »
    So Cheese and Onion and Smokey Bacon are teaming up against Salt and Vinegar?

Seems even crisp flavors can't help forming cliques nowadays. When will this cronyism end?!

Why does Mr Tayto carry a mobile phone??

Incase Johnny Onion Rings

Why does Mr Tayto carry a mobile phone??

Incase Johnny Onion Rings
    Cute. The one-liner twitter humour forum is handily located under Rec in the menu at the top of the screen.

(that's a mod hint)

• Advertisement

At the half-way point, it might interest some to see how well people are doing on their facebook fan pages. It's worth noting that some people will dedicate more time than others to their facebook pages (keep in mind that some people have "proper" webpages outside of facebook), some pages may have been set up earlier than others and that a number of candidates will have little focus on their facebook presence compared with actually going and talking to people. So it's not actually an indication of anything more than the number of fans each page has.

But with the above in mind, taking the facebook pages listed on the ULSU elections event page, here's a list of the number of "fans" each candidate page has:

President
    Derek Daly - 107
    Enda Gallery - 104
    Keith Young - 2

DP/Welfare
    Eamonn Boland - 104
    Thomas Cranley - 173
    Tara Feeney - 169

Education
    Barry Kennedy - 69
    Aoife Kenny - 124

Campaigns & Services
    Alan O'Sullivan - 43
    Paddy Rockett - 285

Communications
    Kelly O'Brien - 145
    Keith O'Neill - 78

Figures are correct at time of posting and I didn't bother to take the time to create a proper table.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

sceptre wrote: »

How does that square with Eamonn Boland having been deemed resigned as a class rep and ULSU shop board member for missing requisite meetings without sending the required apologies/notice? I mean, the requirement to stay in the roles isn't even that the meetings have to be attended or even that there has to be an excuse offered, it's just a simple email that has to be sent saying that he won't be there.

Thoughts?

I'm just saddened by this - I knew there was a reason I didn't know him. Taking credit for doing things he didn't do, bad form. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Just to add that there is something wrong with Keith Young's facebook page, for some reason it is just showing two likes, but there are actually many more.

Just to add,

Young for President, Keitho for communications and I havent decided the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Smokey Bacon7

To start, I would like to declare my allegiance to AOIFE KENNY!

Having read both manifestos I believe Ms. Kenny's to the superior. It seems much more specific and focused on the REAL needs of students.

She covers issues such as:
    • tutor availability for students on teaching practice,
    • liasing with the Careers Division to make students better prepared for the world of employment after college,
    • making people more aware of the Class Reps system and what it can do for them,
    • getting course specific information more readily available to students,
    • bettering communications with the Co-op Office,
    • lobbying for final year nurses to be rewarded for their efforts
    • and introducing tutor evaluations to ensure students are getting the most out of their education.
    I would also like to draw attention to 'saltandvinegar's arguement that Aoife Kenny is less experienced than this Barry 'the Baz' Kennedy. Although this 'man' has been a class rep longer than Aoife, he has achieved alot less. Aoife has been elected as the Kemmy Business School Faculty Officer and has organised the KBS Ball this year (which was a great success).

Has anyone actually heard of Mr. Kennedy being actively involved in the Union by providing a service to students? Not me anyway, and certainly not ALL of students I know.

Having looked at both election stalls in the Red Raisin there is an obvious difference in standard between them. Certainly this must reflect who cares the most about being elected as education officer. Aoife's stall was bright, full of energy and her campaign team were friendly and approachable. On the other hand, Mr. Kennedy's stall seemed thrown together and uninviting.

With regards to election posters again, there is quite a difference. Aoife's are vibrant and well structured, whereas Baz's are, frankly, cheap looking and poor.
    In all honesty who would you rather have as the face for your education?

In conclusion, Aoife Kenny deserves to be education officer and is the only one capable of looking after the education of the student.

Yours in crispiness,

'Stay tasty'

Smokey Bacon.

"Bee Smart"
    AOIFE KENNY #1 FOR EDUCATION!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 interesteduser

@ Lorcanthrope...

Just out of curiosity I had a look over yourself and Paddy's manifesto (from this year)... Didn't notice any similarities.

Care to enlighten us on what similarities you saw?

Needless to say why would he use a manifesto that failed to win an election anyways.

Just a thought :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 jasonpkennedy

Howya lads,

I said I’d chime in on this little debate since I can’t be around this year. In case you can’t tell by the name, I’m Jason Kennedy. I was Finn’s CM last year and Aoife NiRaghallaigh’s the year beforehand. I get the feeling from boards and from Facebook in general that there’s not as much camaraderie in this year’s campaign as there was in last year’s, which I think is a real shame. Election week can be great fun when there’s no botching or snide comments being passed around.
    My advice to people would not be to focus on slandering other people, which seems to be happening a lot this year. The week has the potential to be great craic, but also to be bitter and overly competitive. I hope you all have a great week and let the nasty comments slide for the next few days at least. I have a fair idea of who I’m going to vote for, but since I’ll most likely be working under some of ‘em next year, I think I’ll keep my mouth shut! :P
    As for the clique, I can see how people think that. It really is an open group. Anyone who partakes in work with the union just gets brought in. The nicest people you could meet work and volunteer in there.

Have a great week lads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

Regarding the USI, the membership costs about 10 cent a week per student. Given the amount of bargaining power that comes with being with a membership of 250,000 people this is a small price to pay. One has every right to believe that the USI isn't well run enough for us to join it, however, I think this is burying our heads in the sand. We can't change it from out here. We must be the change that we seek. If you want bargaining strength when it comes to cuts we want to be in the strongest position possible. 250,000 is a far stronger position than 12,000. Here again the membership fee might be a small price to pay.

If you want to take it on a purely financial perspective, we must also remember the financial benefits and cost savings gained by group purchasing of alcohol for bars and supplies for our shops which is a strong possibility in the future.

It goes without saying that it would be up to a student vote, I simply think it's the way forward if we want to get some real representation for this, the most educated generation in the history of the state. The other option: keep waiting for it to change to suit us?

Since when has USI got 250,000 members? I was around UL when we left USI, and frankly it is a cost not worth paying. The model that USI has of many full time elected/appointed officers is completely top heavy and needs to be revisited before UL should remotely consider getting involved again. Fact is that USI exists at a level or two of a remove from the ordinary student, with no real power for the ordinary student member to propose motions to be discussed by USI congress or even for the mandate of a local union to be observed by USI when it comes to voting.

As for the ludicrous notion that somehow it would lead to cheaper beer cos it is being bought in bulk, there is nothing to stop retailers doing that at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

At the half-way point, it might interest some to see how well people are doing on their facebook fan pages. It's worth noting that some people will dedicate more time than others to their facebook pages (keep in mind that some people have "proper" webpages outside of facebook), some pages may have been set up earlier than others and that a number of candidates will have little focus on their facebook presence compared with actually going and talking to people. So it's not actually an indication of anything more than the number of fans each page has.

But with the above in mind, taking the facebook pages listed on the ULSU elections event page, here's a list of the number of "fans" each candidate page has:

President
    Derek Daly - 107
    Enda Gallery - 104
    Keith Young - 2

DP/Welfare
    Eamonn Boland - 104
    Thomas Cranley - 173
    Tara Feeney - 169

Education
    Barry Kennedy - 69
    Aoife Kenny - 124

Campaigns & Services
    Alan O'Sullivan - 43
    Paddy Rockett - 285

Communications
    Kelly O'Brien - 145
    Keith O'Neill - 78

Figures are correct at time of posting and I didn't bother to take the time to create a proper table.

Make Irish an Issue - 70

Make Irish an Issue for the ULSU Election

Glaic Pairt le do tholl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

@ Lorcanthrope...

Just out of curiosity I had a look over yourself and Paddy's manifesto (from this year)... Didn't notice any similarities.

Care to enlighten us on what similarities you saw?

Needless to say why would he use a manifesto that failed to win an election anyways.

Just a thought :D

First of - thanks for being mature in the little dig at the end. I secured over 1300 votes last year and lost by just over 100. I'm not in the slightest bit ashamed of losing to Viv, especially in that close a margin. A difference of 113 votes out of 2771 votes. Paddy ended up polling 943 after transfers against Ruán. In my opinion that was a little bit needless on your part.

Secondly - similarities.

Services - One of Paddy's "new" services is SU Sabbatical Team suggestion boxes. One of my pushes for services was Discourse and the integration of student opinion into service development. A rose by any other name basically. We both push for the NiteLink service - in fact I did it more so by specifiying it as a manifesto point and explaining the benefit to student safety if it were promoted more. We both push the development of the photocopying services offered by the Union.

Campaigns - Paddy gives a long list of campaigns - most of which fall under either the facet of ULSU or C&S branded weeks (like Charity Week, Equality Week or International Week) or one of the following two categories: student lifestyle (mental health, exam campaign, alcohol and drug awareness, SHAG week) or student safety (student safety week, road safety week). Lets see... What were my two big pushes on campaigns? Student lifestyle (incorporating things like good mental health promotion and alcohol and drug awareness) and student safety. He says he'll push campaigns by large-scale activity in the courtyard. I had a point about the "Campus Community" - where we rebuild the campus as a focal point for student involvement. Much of the same again.

Entertainment - I too pushed the idea of bringing better acts for UL. I explained how it happens that there are other venues in Limerick that can get these names and how we could use our college to draw them in. Paddy meanwhile has advocated this while promising someone like Tinchey Strider. I thought I was being realistic. I'll say fair play if he can pull this off. I'll just point out that last years big pull was the rave on Plassey Lawn and we never saw that either.

In short there's one thing I want to offer: things that are important to students tend to get noticed. Thinking you're the only one who ever notices them is arrogant and pretentious. However coming straight out and accusing someone else of being a "thief" because they too have the foresight to analyse a situation and think of solutions is a step beyond that.

Hence why I think any accusation made at Alan was a little beyond the scope of the person making their argument. We'll see how the public responds to Alan's ideas for the position - both the common ones which I think both deserve credit for identifying and his own unique flavor.

Now I'm going off to shout at some poor unfortunate birds that are looking far too comfortable on the lawn.

Oh. And to make sure I'm not misleading someone, I'm supporting Alan for Campaigns. But I would have stepped in as quickly if something like this was happening to one of the candidates for one of the other positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Mental Health and alcohol awareness are issues incredibly close to my heart and i see them as the two MOST important issues in college.

snip..

I do enjoy a free hug, never paid for one yet. I really like the idea of anonymous method of communication through a phone app and i know tom has great experience in development in this area so i wouldnt brush it off as unrealistic. THe open door policy is great of course, but how do you plan to promote this to the students and have you any other ideas?
    Disapointed to say again i didnt see anything on alcohol awareness here

Hi Tony.

Briefly in relation to the hugs, it's really an example of something that might brighten up a stressed student's day when all the pressure of exams, FYP's or even elections get too much! Also, thanks for acknowledging the communication ideas, and for those who don't know, technology is a big part of my life having worked for UL ITD and basing my own FYP around iPhone applications.

My open door poilicy would be primarily a visual campaign, the chances are if an email or poster went out saying when I'd be somewhere not many would show up (not that I'm discarding that idea). However, setting a trend of, for example, being in the Health Science once or twice every week, would certainly bring in people who needed to use the Welfare service.

For my policies on alcohol, I was admittedly focussing on Student Health as a whole. I treat any issue relating to the wellbeing of a student the same, although being Irish does highlight the over consumption of alcohol. In my manifesto, if you notice:
    fortnightly events like TAG Rugby or 5-a-side Soccer,just for fun!
    I think that without trying to play up any problems within the UL Student Community relating to alcohol, I am doing my best to provide an outlet for those who don't neccessarily drink to come and enjoy themselves, without any peer pressure to take alcohol, while also cutting back the competitive nature usually attached to sports.

Obviously, things like that are the tip of the iceberg. There are 60-odd fantastic clubs or societies that would be delighted to run alcohol free events with the support of their Students' Union.

If I've missed something, get back to me.

Thomas Cranley

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Howye guys!

If i could just a few things clear because as per usual things are taking different turn in these elections.

I should have had issue with the use of my own personal ideas being used by someone else but these events in turn have been observed in different Universities so they are not my ideas - they are ul based events that is all based on another Universities events.

Lorcan I am going to be totally honest here and say that with regard to student lifestyle it is entirely my own - having finished an fyp based on the needs of students with regard to their own wellbeing I have carried out extensive research in this field and as such know how to raise awareness on this issue.

Improvement of current services is a must for any new person entering office and one that myself and Viv have spoken about quite extensively.

Whilst i name out the Campaigns I'm going to carry out during the year i have been questioned on these by students which is exactly what I wanted. Simply naming them is not enough its the questions and the answers they receive that is making this campaign so popular

Entertainment - well to put it simply working with ents and promo groups that I have met over the past year put me in a great position for links to big acts - I work entertainments for many groups and have made my face very much known in entertainment circles all of which will benefit our students

And Big Acts are available you just need the savvy and balls to push for them and the organisational skills to see an up and coming act that is gonna be big by the time our event comes round.

The Long and Short of it is I'm not here to lick arse in any way I happen to be a real student who understands that office, its limitations and its fantastic possibilities- I put my name to the table because I mean business and I am open to being challenged - but expect years of planning and work to come right back at you!

Peace and much love as always
    Paddy

President
    Derek Daly - 107
    Enda Gallery - 104
    Keith Young - 2

DP/Welfare
    Eamonn Boland - 104
    Thomas Cranley - 173
    Tara Feeney - 169

Education
    Barry Kennedy - 69
    Aoife Kenny - 124

Campaigns & Services
    Alan O'Sullivan - 43
    Paddy Rockett - 285

Communications
    Kelly O'Brien - 145
    Keith O'Neill - 78

I have my doubts about how representative support figures in Facebook or elsewhere, especially in the early days of a campaign, really are. People can end up supporting multiple candidates and so too can people from outside the electorate. Fact is that the more people you talk to, the more votes you end up getting. A big push on election day is vital.

Nice going though, now if only some them would become fans of my Seanad run I'd really be getting somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I hope whoever takes over communications does a better job than the incumbent. thanks to his image only emails it is impossible to search for stuff as the mails have no text

that and the fact that they were inaccessible. If the comms candidates are about, how do they propose to make ULSU communications more accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

kingkane wrote: »
    I have my doubts about how representative support figures in Facebook or elsewhere, especially in the early days of a campaign, really are. People can end up supporting multiple candidates and so too can people from outside the electorate. Fact is that the more people you talk to, the more votes you end up getting. A big push on election day is vital.

Nice going though, now if only some them would become fans of my Seanad run I'd really be getting somewhere.

don't think any of them can vote in the seanad elections.

don't think any of them can vote in the seanad elections.

You don't need to be able to vote for something in order to be a fan of it on Facebook, I can't vote myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 jasonpkennedy

I hope whoever takes over communications does a better job than the incumbent. thanks to his image only emails it is impossible to search for stuff as the mails have no text

that and the fact that they were inaccessible. If the comms candidates are about, how do they propose to make ULSU communications more accessible.

Finn won TV3 Student Newspaper of the Year on Vincent Browne and is nominated for numerous Student Media Awards. Keith or Kelly would be doing well if they lived up his standard. Can't please everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Finn's emails are AMAZING!! Finn McDuffie does so much work that people don't see. People are leaving the stables/scholars,sports bar at midnight and he's STILL in his office working.
    If your biggest problem with Finn is the format of his emails then you have very little to complain about!!
    He won by one of the biggest(if not THE biggest) margin in his particular election last year and he's definately lived up to his promises, as well as so much more.

Kelly or Keith will have a lot to live up to next year and I hope whoever wins does well but Finn moving on will be a major loss to the communications office, the students union and the university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 interesteduser

I was going to post a reply to your post @Lorcanthrope but Paddy has pretty stated my beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whinger1234

that is being picky!

Catch15 wrote: »
    Hi Tony.

Briefly in relation to the hugs, it's really an example of something that might brighten up a stressed student's day when all the pressure of exams, FYP's or even elections get too much! Also, thanks for acknowledging the communication ideas, and for those who don't know, technology is a big part of my life having worked for UL ITD and basing my own FYP around iPhone applications.

My open door poilicy would be primarily a visual campaign, the chances are if an email or poster went out saying when I'd be somewhere not many would show up (not that I'm discarding that idea). However, setting a trend of, for example, being in the Health Science once or twice every week, would certainly bring in people who needed to use the Welfare service.

For my policies on alcohol, I was admittedly focussing on Student Health as a whole. I treat any issue relating to the wellbeing of a student the same, although being Irish does highlight the over consumption of alcohol. In my manifesto, if you notice:

I think that without trying to play up any problems within the UL Student Community relating to alcohol, I am doing my best to provide an outlet for those who don't neccessarily drink to come and enjoy themselves, without any peer pressure to take alcohol, while also cutting back the competitive nature usually attached to sports.

Obviously, things like that are the tip of the iceberg. There are 60-odd fantastic clubs or societies that would be delighted to run alcohol free events with the support of their Students' Union.

If I've missed something, get back to me.

Thomas Cranley

thanks tom for being the first to reply to my query, I think that reply shows good insight into the two areas and "imagination" in tackling the issues. Of course there is loads more we could say on the issues and im sure you will continue to generate ideas as you progress so i wouldnt expect anyone to have not "missed something".

Also i wasnt making little of the free hugs idea, just a little joke, this and the other ideas you have are strong and from taking to you today and yesterday i think your commitment to the role and potential to be good in this role is strong also... and im sure if you are successful in you campaign you will do a great job.

btw ive always been all up for handing out free hugs too to any single ladies that were interested... not a big uptake I have to say :( :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whinger1234

Bearing in mind that I've no preference for DP/Welfare, don't know any of the three candidates and to my knowledge have never even met any of them so there's no way I'm advancing anyone's candidacy (but my wackland detector is active)...

I can't square the circle of being reliable, dependable or being around when others can't be found with not turning up (or even saying that he won't be there). But if Eamonn (as the candidate) or Ciarán (as the campaign manager) can, that'd be cool. In the absence of that, it's not that easy to believe any of what I've quoted to be anything other than a handy election line thought up to get votes from the unaware.

Thoughts?
    How do you know this information if you don't know the candidates?
    Is this not just an lame attempt to slander the candidates name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You haven't upset me, it takes a lot more than that to upset me! :) I do not think you are naive, but I do think that that post shows the level of cynicism that makes my job so damn difficult at times.

Benefits.. hmm ok. Let's look at my Charity Week so - I went out all week, didn't show up to work and had a great time! No wait, I was in work all week dealing with student drop-ins, I was in meetings, out fundraising, up at 7am for estate cleanup, making a sober appearance at most events. I'm sure you think that my job is laden with benefits, but I don't know what they are. I take the point about good on the CV, but I don't of know any legal employment experience that doesn't look good on a CV. As for staying around college.. I am in around 9am each morning because that's when my day starts. Sometimes that extends to after 9.30 depending on if I'm driving back from Cork. If you've ever been outside my door, you'll see a timetable that tells students where I am if the door is closed. Despite what you may think, being a Sabbat isn't like being a student. I wouldn't dispute that it's good fun at times but every job is. I've never had a job that I didn't enjoy some element of but that doesn't mean the work is any less difficult.

There is a difference between charity and "doing some good". On a daily basis, I "do some good" because I help students with a huge volume of problems (see previous post re: numbers of students). I've never said I do it for free because I get paid, but I have volunteered in the SU for most of my college days through C+S, Class Reps and Exec. Being paid doesn't mean that I'm any less dedicated to doing good and it doesn't mean that what I get paid reflects the amount of work, hours and "good" that I do.

Essentially, until you have taken a Sabbatical position/gone out with a Sabbatical Office/have been a close friend of a Sabbat, you have no concept of the difficulty of the job and the strain that doing these jobs properly puts on people. I've been in both situations; seeing the SU from the outside and from being inside, you've only seen it from one.

Aoife, I'm sure you wouldn't dissuade either of the current candidates for running for your position? Would you encourage them too? And if you had the chance again, would you do it the same and run for Education officer again? I guess what im asking is what are the benefits of a sabbat position, because this thread just seems to be focusing on the negatives.

By the way, none of this is aimed at you, I voted for you, think you've done excellent and you've helped out more than a few of my friends during your time in the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What a surprise. Hulk Hands having a rant about Charity Week. Like a scratched record at this stage.

Was I upsetting you in some way? Actually I only brought the topic up in the thread specific to that very topic. I brought it up once out of several posts of mine in this thread purely because we were never given an answer about it. Your pathetic post in the relevant thread din't really clear things up you see. It is a role of the SU, so it relevant here also.

How do you know this information if you don't know the candidates?
    Is this not just an lame attempt to slander the candidates name?
    Someone mentioned it on facebook. Then I went and formally checked the information with the SU. It's an entirely legitimate question to ask and it got confirmed to be so. Deemed resigned as a result of missing multiple meetings without notification. That's one of the core parts of the job - how reliable is that? I ask questions. It's what I do. Having written for the Limerick city local papers, I don't propose to stop asking questions either. I trade on my own reputation.

As for it being a lame attempt to slander Eamonn Boland, firstly, it's written so it would be libel, not slander. Secondly it's true so it isn't libel. Thirdly, as a person with no interest in the Welfare race but a large interest in anti-idiocy (see my formally stated position when moderating the boards Politics forum for the past six or seven years), it isn't nice when people make an attempt to mislead the electorate on a point of fact. We're not taking about someone intending to do something in the next year that they end up not being able to do (that sort of thing happens), we're talking about a misrepresentation of a factual statement based in the past. I don't need to "know" the candidates to find out where they're dropping something into their manifestos that isn't particularly truthful - all I need is a hint and a phone in my hand to check that statement as factual or not.

You can argue the case as to whether it's an attempt to do a candidate down (it isn't as a core intention, yet it is as there wouldn't be any need to ask why there's a misleading statement of fact in the manifesto if that statement made wasn't a misleading statement of fact in the first place:)). Thing is, if someone doesn't ask the question and point it out, people won't know when they go to place their votes. Investigative reading of political manifestos isn't done anywhere near enough in this country, let alone somewhere like UL where a manifesto comes out on Monday (or, er, Tuesday) and people vote on Thursday without anyone pointing out where it's been written in a highly misleading way. It's the opening stated-as-fact lynchpin of the manifesto. I'd be a fool or effectively complicit if I didn't ask that question, after raising an eyebrow and taking the time to go and actually check. Especially given that the alternative is that you go and read about it post-election in An Focal in two weeks time (and how useful is that when the election is Thursday?).

Slander? Dude, you've got to be kidding me. Even in a small insignificant election like the UL Students' Union one, if candidates are going to say they were involved in something in a particular role, the electorate deserves to know if they were deemed resigned from that role through not bothering to turn up. You honestly think you can defend that? Good luck.

The only real question you should be asking is why more people aren't asking these questions. Highlighting something like this may be seen as pretty negative but unfortunately there isn't a positive happy way full of dancing Skittles to point out that there's a highly misleading statement on one of the manifestos that is missing a key point that's more relevant than the misleading statement itself. Don't get me wrong, I've got sympathy for anyone who gets elected as anything and then repeatedly forgets one of the important parts of doing the job (actually the only part of the job where failure to do it means being automatically resigned) - but even a family emergency or a volcano erupting doesn't preclude a note being sent... and then to base self-reliability in a public manifesto on having been in the role from which you were deemed resigned? No, not in this universe, surely no-one would do that.

Of course, if you hadn't asked me this question, I wouldn't have highlighted it a second time. Or felt the need to explain at length why it's relevant and should really be a deciding factor in anyone voting for the Welfare position.

My question still stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sinaydk

i personlly tink that corect spelin is shudnt b such a big deal lik, wat do it mater in d long run anyways? once u can understand the manifisto lik!!

Haha nice spelling there...took me about three goes to read it ;)

Nah I do think though that a Sabbat is a professional job and thus being able to communicate well in English is highly important!

Advertisement