Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading on a bike trip to France!! :-D

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well lads I just got back. Was a great trip, I’m exhausted. Did over 3000km in the end, almost a complete loop of France. Had a great time but it was pretty tough going at times. New bike is definitely on the horizon as doing serious milage on a naked bike is not much fun. My mates bike broke down on the first day, dirty fuel we think, but we got it going again, but lost most of the day. The 2nd day we had to do 850km to keep to schedule. 13 hours on the bike, very tough going, but some incredible mountain roads for the last 2 hours which made it all worthwhile.

Spudmonkey thanks so much for the recommendation on the Gorge Du Verdon – it was incredible. We did the mountain road all the way to the top and then over the back and into Antibes. It was incredible! Although it rained for the afternoon which sucked. Still had fun though, the roads were spectacular all over the place, you could go for hours without a single bump in the road. Autoroutes were like glass. Not much fun doing 130-150kph for hours and hours on the go though. No wind protection on my bike and its seriously hard going. Deffo going to get a sports tourer next. Last day it rained all day and we got soaked through, we had a boat to catch so had to keep going. Thankfully it stopped and we dried out eventually.

Definitely want to do more touring but I’d do it differently next time. Long boring drives on motorways are not much fun but it kind of had to be done to get to the places we needed to see out mates etc. Still, next time I’d take more time, do less distance but better and nicer roads – and on a better bike too haha

I would definitely recommend it though, anyone thinking of it – stop thinking and just do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

Wow ,sounds like a great trip , albeit a bit manic. I am just back from a week in Brittany on my classic bike ,1000 miles in a week ,almost all of it on small back roads at about 40 mph . Miles and miles passed by without seeing another soul ....wonderful . Dont knock riding a naked bike ,its pure motorcycling , knees in the breeze sort of stuff. Just allow plenty of time to get anywhere. Each time I stopped I ended up in conversation with someone ....you dont get that on motorways at warp factor 4 . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

great stuff zascar!

what bikes your mate on? (or has it been mentioned in the thread already?)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry, Ducati Monster 620. She held up well but my mate was on a 1000cc Aprilia. His easy cruising speed was was way above mine.

I'm thinking about a Honda VFR800 VTEC - lovely in white but they are expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Zascar wrote: »
    Sorry, Ducati Monster 620. She held up well but my mate was on a 1000cc Aprilia. His easy cruising speed was was way above mine.

I'm thinking about a Honda VFR800 VTEC - lovely in white but they are expensive..

What about this...

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=21334

I'm on my third one so I'm biased but they are a great allrounder....

• Advertisement

Thanks. I think I'll start another thread so to keep this one on topic.

Ok one thing I forgot to mention, my make had the Garmin motorbike GPS. Absolutely invaluable. Seriously I just cannot imagine doing this trip without it and having to pull over and look at maps all the time. Anyone going on a trip even a cheap satnav could be worth its weight in gold. Just knowing where the nearest petrol station is (I never nearly ran out of petrol once and it saved us) or down to finding things around you etc, really brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know this is an old thread but decided to revive it as it could be helpful keep the info in the same thread.

I'm heading to France shortly and have a few questions. Are tinted/dark visors legal in France, I'll be carrying a clear visor also if it makes any difference, and have they brought in the high viz law for bikers yet?

I have been googling to try and find an answer, but all I can find are post from years ago on the visor and found this about the high viz, which looks like it'll be 2012. I'll still stick a viz in my luggage in case of breakdowns.

Advertisement