Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny so far.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Maybe he's just lacking in the arrogance of his recent predecessors.

true, dont get me wrong, when I saw a flash of Cowen today on the telly when Obama was in moneygall I thought it would ruin the whole occasion but thank God they swiftly changed cameras.

One thing I do have to say though, Ive never appreciate Mcaleese so much as I have the past week or so, so cool and so natural, meeting Obama seemed like nothing to her in terms of testing her confidence, she may as well have been meeting her own brother or sister.
    What a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

President McAleese has rounded off her term in a way that could only have been dreamed of. She's raised the bar for anyone wanting to run for the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

enda rocks my world. he causes sensations in certain parts of my body that i thought would never happen again, after james may. enda is my new "no-strings".:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Is Ray D'Arcy still in Country?? Sick for him!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

iMax wrote: »
    President McAleese has rounded off her term in a way that could only have been dreamed of. She's raised the bar for anyone wanting to run for the park.

Er.....as a ceremonial wheel out that's fit for the odd visit.....maybe but she loses points for not having Bono and the Delai lama juggling chainsaws.... :/

Seriously, she has done nothing during her tenure to either change or improve the scope of the office, add to that she rubber stamped everything without challenge that was sent from the Dail, including the bailout legislation.

Her lack of oversight would be criminally negligent but for the office and it's historic lack of importance.

We need a president that sees the Aras as more then just a plush retirement home!

• Advertisement

Er.....as a ceremonial wheel out that's fit for the odd visit.....maybe but she loses points for not having Bono and the Delai lama juggling chainsaws.... :/

Seriously, she has done nothing during her tenure to either change or improve the scope of the office, add to that she rubber stamped everything without challenge that was sent from the Dail, including the bailout legislation.

Her lack of oversight would be criminally negligent but for the office and it's historic lack of importance.

We need a president that sees the Aras as more then just a plush retirement home!

Her job is to not sign a bill that is not constitutional, there'd be problems if our presidents just started picking and choosing what they wanted to pass based on their own opinions, thats what the Dail is for, the people we vote.

And also, she did call a meeting regarding the bailout legislation, it may not have been a challenge, but she still didnt pass it lightly.

I actually gave her bonus points for ensuring that Bono was not around:D

Also, getting on a bit but I'm nearly sure she refused to sign retrospective legislation to make Nursing Home charges legal.....and sent Mary Harney to the Supreme Court, mind you that might just have been a personal thing between the 2 Mary's:D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Is Ray D'Arcy still in Country?? Sick for him!!:D

Ray DArcy had Willie ODea(remember him) on his radio show laughing and joking while a listener played with his mustache....he also had very little negative to say about FF at the time despite every dog on the street knowing that they had made a balls out of our country! Then he decides that he dislikes Kenny so much that he will leave the country????how anyone could rate Kenny bellow Cowan who came on a radio show half drunk at a time when 450k people were unemployed is beyond me. What more the disgraceful conduct of his Gov Mary Hanafin"he has nasal problems",Brian Len "there is no bailout", John ODonoghue(say no more:rolleyes:),Mary O'Rourke,Noel Dempsey etc...really makes me wonder whats his agenda

bonzos wrote: »
    Ray DArcy had Willie ODea(remember him) on his radio show laughing and joking while a listener played with his mustache....he also had very little negative to say about FF at the time despite every dog on the street knowing that they had made a balls out of our country! Then he decides that he dislikes Kenny so much that he will leave the country????how anyone could rate Kenny bellow Cowan who came on a radio show half drunk at a time when 450k people were unemployed is beyond me. What more the disgraceful conduct of his Gov Mary Hanafin"he has nasal problems",Brian Len "there is no bailout", John ODonoghue(say no more:rolleyes:),Mary O'Rourke,Noel Dempsey etc...really makes me wonder whats his agenda

Could it be that his people and their people before that have voted for the Soldiers of destiny since the foundation of the State? That's normally the excuse:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

wylo wrote: »
    Her job is to not sign a bill that is not constitutional, there'd be problems if our presidents just started picking and choosing what they wanted to pass based on their own opinions, thats what the Dail is for, the people we vote.
    Agreed the mandate is to protect the Constitution, but the office is also one of oversight for the law of the land as passed by the Dail and my opinion backed up by presidential history is that the office has degenerated in to a that of mere Commissioners for Oaths. With regard to potential problems, seem's plenty of other countries have presidential oversight without problem.

wylo wrote: »
    And also, she did call a meeting regarding the bailout legislation, it may not have been a challenge, but she still didnt pass it lightly.
    Mea Culpa, should have said the bank guarantee and all related acts. As for the meeting called, the ECB and the IMF were back on the plane home by the time she bothered asking any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I have to say Enda Kenny has grown on me. I once thought of him as a halfwit, but now I see him as the likable uncle. He mightn't have the intellect of Bruton but he has humility, resolve, and a genuinely good nature. Frankly I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Great ambassador for Irish tourism has to be said. Very friendly and empathetic and seems to make people at ease.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I'm still not a FG voter and most likely never will, but Kenny has grown on me. Compared to Cowen he's the messiah

kev9100 wrote: »
    I'm still not a FG voter and most likely never will, but Kenny has grown on me. Compared to Cowen he's the messiah

compared to Cowen, I am actually God himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I never have and never will vote FG, and had no faith in his abilities prior to and during the General Election, but has surprised me pleasantly over the last few weeks since he took office. He has an air of integrity and honesty about him, which is a nice change compared to the last 2 muppets to hold the office. I doubt he'll get it right anywhere approaching 100% of the time, but at least I get the feeling that he's a man trying to do his best for the country, without ulterior motives as such, and that is a quality I can respect in a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    He has an air of integrity and honesty about him, which is a nice change compared to the last 2 muppets to hold the office. I doubt he'll get it right anywhere approaching 100% of the time, but at least I get the feeling that he's a man trying to do his best for the country, without ulterior motives as such, and that is a quality I can respect in a politician.

i agree with you there. sometimes he can have an awkward look about him and not look natural but i can forget that if he can be seen to be doing his best and putting the interests of the country first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Agree completely and what worries me is that there are no declared candidates out there who would give me the same confidence. Michael D. and David Norris would be too interested in talking about themselves to listed to what a foreign dignitary might say. John Bruton comes across too often as a country bumpkin. Failed TD candidates who became MEPS (Crowley, McGuinness) why are they suitable? Campaigners who run the risk of becoming associated with their campaigns rather than the post of President (Mary Davis, Fergus Finlay) don't do enough for me either.

Even if you look beyond that motley group, there is nobody who stands out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

Godge wrote: »
    Agree completely and what worries me is that there are no declared candidates out there who would give me the same confidence. Michael D. and David Norris would be too interested in talking about themselves to listed to what a foreign dignitary might say. John Bruton comes across too often as a country bumpkin. Failed TD candidates who became MEPS (Crowley, McGuinness) why are they suitable? Campaigners who run the risk of becoming associated with their campaigns rather than the post of President (Mary Davis, Fergus Finlay) don't do enough for me either.

Out of that list I think McGuinness would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

Getting a bit off topic but what is the reason for having a limit on the number of terms? In fariness the president cant do too much damage. I think given our current circumstances we could do without the expense of a presidential election and allow Mary Mac to go for a third term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Godge wrote: »
    Agree completely and what worries me is that there are no declared candidates out there who would give me the same confidence. Michael D. and David Norris would be too interested in talking about themselves to listed to what a foreign dignitary might say. John Bruton comes across too oen as a country bumpkin.ft Failed TD candidates who became MEPS (Crowley, McGuinness) why are they suitable? Campaigners who run the risk of becoming associated with their campaigns rather than the post of President (Mary Davis, Fergus Finlay) don't do enough for me either.

Have you ever met a real country bumpkin?

They certainly didn't go to UCD or the Kings Inns, lol!

But the post certainly attracts too much of a motley crue, I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

enda kenny putting the country first really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was he putting the country first when he was putting the boot into the last goverment making the country a joke on the international stage making it impossible to get money. if they had engaged in a bit of constructive advice instead of destructive critiscm. maybe then he would be putting the country first and not thinking of being taoiseach. strange that he is now implementing the policies of the last goverment. if he had made richard bruton minister for finance instead of that joke micheal noonan, then he might be putting the country first. if he hadnt lied about all these wonderful pre-election policies he was going to put in place when in goverment i would say he wa putting the country first. remind me how the renegoiation of the bailout is going. what about the 60,000 jobs. what about the help for those struggling with their mortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Enda Kenny made it impossible for this country to get money ||||||

You for real ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

enda kenny putting the country first really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was he putting the country first when he was putting the boot into the last goverment making the country a joke on the international stage making it impossible to get money

Wow I must have missed that part, so the IMF & EU bailout was all the work of Enda Kenny!! Come back Brian Cowen & Bertie Ahern all is forgiven!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

enda kenny putting the country first really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was he putting the country first when he was putting the boot into the last goverment making the country a joke on the international stage making it impossible to get money. if they had engaged in a bit of constructive advice instead of destructive critiscm. maybe then he would be putting the country first and not thinking of being taoiseach. strange that he is now implementing the policies of the last goverment. if he had made richard bruton minister for finance instead of that joke micheal noonan, then he might be putting the country first. if he hadnt lied about all these wonderful pre-election policies he was going to put in place when in goverment i would say he wa putting the country first. remind me how the renegoiation of the bailout is going. what about the 60,000 jobs. what about the help for those struggling with their mortage.

I see that you claim to be from Biffo country.

You are either a wind up merchant or Brian Cowen's drunken alter ego based on that rant.

Kenny is not perfect but, as a Taoiseach, he is light years ahead of both Cowen and Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

A Tesco's own brand tin of beans would have been more useful than Cowen.

I didn't have low expectations of Kenny, and he is living up to my expectations so far. I knew it would work in his favour.
    People started out with huge expectations of Cowen and he is regarded as the worst Taoiseach in the history of the state.

I still don't think Kenny will go down as a success tho.
    The scale/speed of reform is insufficient.
    It's a shame for Kenny, if he had been 3 years earlier, he could have had a real impact, but the situation is snowballing now. More evident by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    A Tesco's own brand tin of beans would have been more useful than Cowen.

I didn't have low expectations of Kenny, and he is living up to my expectations so far. I knew it would work in his favour.
    People started out with huge expectations of Cowen and he is regarded as the worst Taoiseach in the history of the state.

I still don't think Kenny will go down as a success tho.
    The scale/speed of reform is insufficient.
    It's a shame for Kenny, if he had been 3 years earlier, he could have had a real impact, but the situation is snowballing now. More evident by the day.

Actually most of the damage was done between 2002 and 2007 by the then government fanning the flames of the property bubble and paying off the public service to keep them happy, so by the 2007 elections most of the damage had been done.

That aside, FG's manefesto for the election at that time was all about spending more, not reeling in spending. I know this inconvenience is something FG supporters hate to see written, but the grass is always greener when you choose not to see the sh*t on it. Likewise, in hindsight we can all tell you what should of happened.

So far, in its term, kenny has done well puplically and most people agree he has been above expectation. Apart from when hes asked specific questions (like the way he said that people drawing on their pensions pay 5% tax on 6/1 news, which is incorrect, they have to drawdown at least 5%) on certain issues he is doing well.

In terms of leadership, I think its better to have a good delegator who is open to discuss their policies then the likes that we have seen in the past. We also need a decisive Taoiseach, which unfortunatley Kenny and FG/Lab do not appear to be. They attack the easiest targets first (Private sector, then I am sure the Social welfare will be the easier one next) before dealing with the big , protected, pink elephant in the room. Until they tackle Public service costs, as far as I am concerned they are showing little leadership and avoiding tough decisions.

Kenny should not be judged in comparison to our previous leaders who are hated so much as that just lowers the benchmark to a point where he cant physically fail to satisfy. So far, he has just sang to the same hyme as our previous leaders and limped on in the hope that everything will evevntually work itself out.

Howlin as minister for Public service reform is a complete Joke. Dont know who I would prefer, him or Mary Coughlin. Giving this portfolio to the Labour party was like asking John O'Donohue if they should take a bus or a Limo between airport Terminals. The only loser will be the taxper. That aside, it is just another example of parties giving people positions in power above their ability. How many school teachers can we fit into cabinet ? Its a disgrace. I wanted real change with people with real qualifications and experience. I wanted somebody with a private sector backround in the Public service, as this is the only way we can start to truely reform it (not another "entitled" privaleged one who can give them all high 5s and see where else he can waste our taxes!).

Our minister for Finance (edit and minister for health in particular) is the exception and leading the way for me, taking responsibility for the running of the department (in no way does he feel the need to blame previous government to excuse his own shortcomings). And he has a good knowledge of the portfolio he is taking over. This was the kind of appointments we needed across the board, but everywhere else we got the usual BS lameass, give your buddy a job appointment.

I dont care which party is running the country once they are doing things right and fair. It gets annoying when people benchmark this crowd against the others as if it makes their shortcomings acceptable. Once you start accepting sh*t, that is all you will ever get . . Only by demanding a better, more accountable government and public service will true reform take place. Actions speak louder then words and in terms of the changes of what is really needed within the political and spending structure of government, there has been little to suggest that we will ever get the real change that we all hoped we had voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Excellent post Drumpot, couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Drumpot wrote: »
    It gets annoying when people benchmark this crowd against the others as if it makes their shortcomings acceptable. Once you start accepting sh*t, that is all you will ever get
    I couldn't agree more. I am supportive of many of the measures that FG are instigating in hoping to bring about recovery, but some of the rest of their apparent inaction is just mind boggling from an economic perspective. As soon as an economic policy is criticised, though, you get the same old tired heads defending it as being being better than something FF have done - sure it might be, but that doesn't mean it's still not a load of horse sh1t. Unfortunately, for the Irish economy, it's a defence that FG-Lab are likely to get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

later10 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I am supportive of many of the measures that FG are instigating in hoping to bring about recovery, but some of the rest of their apparent inaction is just mind boggling from an economic perspective. As soon as an economic policy is criticised, though, you get the same old tired heads defending it as being being better than something FF have done - sure it might be, but that doesn't mean it's still not a load of horse sh1t. Unfortunately, for the Irish economy, it's a defence that FG-Lab are likely to get away with.
    Lets be honest lads,
    Until politics isn't about getting votes - or people take an attitude of looking at the bigger picture when casting their votes - and a better caliber of politician go for elections with policies whereby the main aim is to eithre reduce lose of votes or increase gain of votes (despite everything else), that's the yardstick we have........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thankfully Cowen was not in power when the Queen and Obama came. Could you imagine the embarrassment? In a world dominated by image, at least Kenny cuts a much smarter more competent image than Cowen. Christ! at least his suits seem to fit him, if nothing else. Overall, I think he performed quite well with recent events.

Advertisement