Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny so far.

Options
  • 18-03-2011 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Although I didn't vote FG (not FF for that matter), I have to say I'm impressed with Enda Kenny's first seven days in office.

There's been an actual air of something being done. Although the changes so far have been largely superficial, I think if it's kept up, he could be one hell of a statesman. Not something I thought just a week ago.

I would have been in the ABE crowd last week, but I'm keen to see how the first month, Three months, six months & year goes. I hope he doesn't disappoint.

From the first week, He has an opportunity to make real change in the country. I hope he seizes it & does the job. Credit where it's due.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

hes a long time in polotics.he knows the story.pity the ones before him in government didnt too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'm no FG'er or fan of Enda but tbh thought he did well in this interview on Bloomberg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCA_3NiwZ60&feature=player_embedded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Thank goodness we got a new government in on time. Can you imagine Brian Cowen, once more in the white house, with obama, pigging on food all around him and wasted on guinness. Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

well he's already breaking election promises (about reducing the number of junior ministers)
    and there's still a sense on junketism with some of the paddy's day trips (sending a childrens minister to Australia, and a tourism minister to India :confused: )

so I'm not jumping for joy quite yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

well he's already breaking election promises (about reducing the number of junior ministers)
    and there's still a sense on junketism with some of the paddy's day trips (sending a childrens minister to Australia, and a tourism minister to India :confused: )

Firstly I was not an Enda fan either.

Being realistic about it no government has ever kept all it's promises - to be honest I don't expect them to and it's impossible in a coalition.

Some of these meetings are very valuable, I heard a very successful Irish businessman give a talk once and he stressed that having high level officials talk to foreign companies was a huge boost to him in dealmaking. They're not going to the Maldives, they are going to real countries with huge export opportunities.

There's only two issues at the moment and that's to reduce the debt burden and get people working. On these he is doing lots of positive stuff. The Obama meeting was excellent. The strong stance in the EU on corporation tax was excellent. I am also hopeful that Noonan is giving them the full details of how bad the bank situation is here and that we can't pay it back.

Maybe he's a doer and not a spoofer. We've had a bellyfull of the latter. Let's hope so. Oh and the garda driver, ministerial salary cuts and state car changes send out the right message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think enda is coming across well so far...

But....he...looks.....like....he....is.....reading...from...a....script.

He needs to be a little more natural to be more believable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

But....he...looks.....like....he....is.....reading...from...a....script.

Meh don't have a problem with this, people prepare for interviews and how they will answer questions. As long as what he is saying is the right thing, and he is acting on what he is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

hard to please some people, he's cut ministerial pay, introduced a new minister for reform of public service, overhauled the crazy system of gardai drivers for ministers reduced the number of minister travelling abroad for St. Patricks' day from 22 to 8 yet some people are still not happy.

For what its worth, Oz has a huge number of recently emigrated irish people, India is one of the 'BRIC' nations a huge economy growing at a fast pace, plus the minister sent there is of indian decent (Leo Veradker) who may hopefully be able to muster up some friends in indian govt for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

The bill is going to be way way down from previous years. Only 8 ministers travelled compared with 22 the previous year. They were also staying in embassies instead of hotels. When some of the biggest countries in the world celebrate a tiny islands national day, you would be a fool for not utilising this opportunity.

But there will always be people who will complain about anything, they would protest the rain if they could :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Varadkar going to India could potentially be as important as Enda in the US - it's got huge potential for growth. So the son of an Indian doctor becoming a government minister & travelling to a country where an Irish team is making a name for itself & gaining respect in their national sport can only be good for the profile of the country.

I too am impressed with Enda so far - yes the changes so far have been small, but that's how you have to start - like the old joke, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

First of all, on the number of junior ministers, that was not an election promise, it was a comment he made two years ago!

Secondly, if the people wanted FG to deliver on their election promises, they would have voted in a FG majority, giving them a mandate to implement their policies. The people did not do this, they voted in a FG Lab coalition government, giving the parties a mandate to compromise on their election manifestos to create a programme for government. You cant complain about FG, or Lab for that matter, breaking election promises when they were not given a mandate to act on these promises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This is an interview he did in the US the day before yesterday.

He's extremely presentable, confident, polite, articulate, and comes across as having a mastery of detail. In short, he's statesmanlike. Far more so than his two predecessors.

Enda Kenny has made a stupendous start so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

tbh its a relief watching the leader of your country presenting himself well on the international scene, I think the strong confident personality can have a genuine effect on foreign investment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

quite impressed with this as well
    SEVERAL ministers opted to stay in embassies rather than hotels to cut down on the cost of St Patrick's Day trips.

The cost of ministerial travel and accommodation in previous years was more than €500,000 but this year's bill is expected to be well down.

Social Welfare Minister Joan Burton; Enterprise Minister Richard Bruton; Children's Minister Frances Fitzgerald; Education Minister Ruairi Quinn; and Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney have shunned hotels in favour of embassies and official residences of Irish ambassadors.

Staying in the residence of an ambassador or in the embassy carries no extra cost to the taxpayer.

Mr Coveney is staying in the ambassador's residence in Paris, Mr Bruton in the ambassador's home in Berlin and Ms Fitzgerald in the ambassador's house in Sydney. Ms Burton stayed in the London embassy, while Mr Quinn was at the residence of the ambassador in Rome.

The move follows controversies down through the years over ministers staying in five-star hotels, travelling in limos and on first-class air tickets.

But the new Government has clamped down on such extravagant treatment, with cabinet members travelling without spouses and with just one civil servant in tow.

In some cases, ministers have travelled with low-cost airline Ryanair.

The Taoiseach and eight ministers travelled to eight countries for the St Patrick's Day festivities -- compared with last year when 22 cabinet and junior ministers travelled to 24 countries.

lets just hope it lasts eh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

People complaining about actual ministers and the Taoiseach because they make use of a free marketing day for our country are barmy. Other small states (and plenty big ones) would give their right arm for a day like St. Patrick's day.

The issues of the past were issues of EXCESS, taking the wife, 10 civil servants, all getting 5 star treatment at the expense of the taxpayer.

This is totally different-8 high ranking ministers and ONE civil servant, no spouses. This is showing the respect that the Irish public deserve and I for one congratulate the new government and Enda Kenny in particular for this.

I myself criticised him before the election but I was wrong. He does carry himself very well and is FAR more statesmanlike (yes, this is important when confidence in your country has been shaken) than many of his predecessors going back quite some years. I genuinely wish him and the government well in all that they have to do now. His pro-business stance is impressive, but he needs to make changes to the law to make it easier to start (and to fail) in business.

It's refreshing also to see a fit, healthy looking man run our country, not an overweight slob that would otherwise be propping up the local bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

iMax wrote: »
    Although I didn't vote FG (not FF for that matter), I have to say I'm impressed with Enda Kenny's first seven days in office.

There's been an actual air of something being done. Although the changes so far have been largely superficial, I think if it's kept up, he could be one hell of a statesman. Not something I thought just a week ago.

I would have been in the ABE crowd last week, but I'm keen to see how the first month, Three months, six months & year goes. I hope he doesn't disappoint.

From the first week, He has an opportunity to make real change in the country. I hope he seizes it & does the job. Credit where it's due.

I think Enda is doing well so far. He spoke very eloquently in the White House yesterday. It was a good advertisement for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

He'll fail miserably if he's holding out for universal popularity anyway.
    Having said that, he's coming across better than I expected. Actions speak louder than words mind you, and so far his actions have been middle of the road bordering on fairly ok. But 8 days is hardly anything to by anyway (especially when one of those days is St Patrick's Day)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I watched Enda on the sky news report with Obama, and he came accross as an excellent and equal statesman, and he was far more articulate and human looking than Cowen ever did/was.

I did think he was about to shed tears of happiness when Obama announced it, watch the reply, he was so proud.

Well done Enda. The apprenticeship you have served stands to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

I see dont send the Minister for Transport, tourism and sport to India when he is of Indian Heritage and is currently trying to bring massive investment from India into Ireland, a project that might actually make T2 at Dublin airport slightly more viable.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/air-india-may-consider-dublin-airport-as-its-new-hub/articleshow/7732192.cms

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I watched Enda on the sky news report with Obama, and he came accross as an excellent and equal statesman, and he was far more articulate and human looking than Cowen ever did/was.

I did think he was about to shed tears of happiness when Obama announced it, watch the reply, he was so proud.

Well done Enda. The apprenticeship you have served stands to you.
    His interview on the news from Washington was also very good - very honest (I believe) seemed to be open and frank and in fairness, now maybe I cant remember, but I dont think Cowen ever did an interview as long from Washington with the news provider over here.

He is definetly coming across very open, honest, eager to do the right thing.
    Just as an aside, Varadkars trip to India could be as important as any and looks to have been a very strategic move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

'"Dublin is one of the final two airports that Air India has zeroed in on and will shortly take a call on it," Varadkar, the first Indian origin person to be part of the Irish government, added. '

Gold

Enda's playing a blinder. Good joke too the way he brought up the apostrophe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus if Varadkars trip bears fruit how many jobs will that secure in Dublin Airport. It will also make us far more attractive to Indian business people as well.

Very impressed with Enda's performance so far as well and agreed that he does indeed look very statesmanlike in the interviews from Washington. A definite improvement on the previous two gombeens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

gandalf wrote: »
    Jaysus if Varadkars trip bears fruit how many jobs will that secure in Dublin Airport. It will also make us far more attractive to Indian business people as well.

Very impressed with Enda's performance so far as well and agreed that he does indeed look very statesmanlike in the interviews from Washington. A definite improvement on the previous two gombeens.

200-300 I read some where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I have to admit, despite not voting FG he looked well with Obama, he matched him as a leader in terms of composure and confidence. I remember looking at Cowen and thinking he looked like a little lick arse pet of Obamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He has surprised me so far I have to say and I'm not a FG voter. kenny does seem quite comfortable on the international stage in his new role. Cowen however, used to make me cringe because he always looked out of place and flustered. Christ, his suits didn't even fit him right and in politics image, appearance and the perception it creates can be half the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I come back to this thread again, once again to praise Enda Kenny & No, I'm still not an FG Voter.

In the last week he has surpassed expectations. We finally have a statesman we can be proud of. A world class politician. Well done sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

the only criticism I find is that his body language seems very fake when around Obama. I cant put my finger on it but when hes sitting down with him etc its sort of like hes trying to be too calm and composed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

wylo wrote: »
    the only criticism I find is that his body language seems very fake when around Obama. I cant put my finger on it but when hes sitting down with him etc its sort of like hes trying to be too calm and composed

He tries to copy Obama - his election campaign, Fine Gael's election website, etc.. resembled Obama's election campaign. Kenny's speech today was probably written while watching Obama's speeches. He loves Obama, he organised an advert campaign for Obama's visit. It's all a bit false:

werwerfs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He tries to copy Obama - his election campaign, Fine Gael's election website, etc.. resembled Obama's election campaign. Kenny's speech today was probably written while watching Obama's speeches. He loves Obama, he organised an advert campaign for Obama's visit. It's all a bit false:

werwerfs.jpg

To be completely honest, I'd rather see one of our politicians try emulate someone like Obama who has tried his hardest to make things better and attempt to clean up the mess that this country is in.
    If the last two numbskulls did the same we'd be in epic shape.

Of course it's all a bit false - isn't almost all of that kinda ****e? But it's whats actioned thats real, what effects people.
    No doubt many will believe that the speeches today are the start of a recovery, they are idiots. The recovery and change happens as a result of actions based on the meetings that took place today behind closed doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

wylo wrote: »
    its sort of like hes trying to be too calm and composed

Maybe he's just lacking in the arrogance of his recent predecessors.

Advertisement