Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Guardian Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I fear this game will disappoint and end up been average. It's turning into another Duke Nukem Forever.

To think, Naughty Dog have released 3 Uncharted's (will soon be 4) and The Last of Us since work began on this, which is crazy (I realise Naughty Dog has a bigger team, but still). They have basically went through an entire console generation without releasing a game. Fair play to Sony for keeping them on the payroll, many wouldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would take a else from Team Ico before any of games mentioned.
    Uncharted really only furthered the art of the cut scene, everything else is fun, but nothing that stays with you like Ico does or SotC.
    I would be shocked of this turns out to be a poor game, The Last Guardian is based around a vision, one mans vision, world building and myth creating.
    Games like this are why I play video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

So, gamescom? Or TGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I would take a else from Team Ico before any of games mentioned.
    Uncharted really only furthered the art of the cut scene, everything else is fun, but nothing that stays with you like Ico does or SotC.

Ah come on now. Uncharted 2 is one of the best games of the last generation. Every game doesn't have to be a piece of art.
    Otacon wrote: »
    So, gamescom? Or TGS?

Oh ya... 100% :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tok9 wrote: »
    Ah come on now. Uncharted 2 is one of the best games of the last generation. Every game doesn't have to be a piece of art.

It was fun, but I honestly wouldn't have considered it one of the best.
    Certainly very polished, and some great scenes, but the action sometimes feels very scripted and the game is utterly linear, so you are really just running through some very pretty linked rooms.
    I had a blast with it while it lasted but I really wouldn't rate it compared with Dark Souls or it's sequel.
    The cut scenes were amazing, really, they furthered the art of the cut scene in the Uncharted games and only improved it in TLOU, but the actual gameplay was nothing remarkable, being a relatively solid 3rd person, cover based shooter.

And, honestly, I found Ico and SotC have been the games that have stayed with me the most over the last ten years.

But, you're right, not every game has to be a work of art.
    Similar arguments are that games don't have to be long or smothered in photorealism to be considered worthy.

Tearaway is possibly the one though, the game of the last year or two that was the best, along with the two Souls games mentioned, Tearaway was pure gaming joy.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I'm not denying that Uncharted 2 might be loved by many, and felt that it was the best of the PS3 games, I just didn't find it so, and it's predecessor was a pain with the sixaxis crap shoehorned in and the third one felt like little more than a retread of the mechanics of the second one, and I did have plenty of fun with the second one, but for action and adventure I think COD4:MW and it's immediate sequel MW2 pipped it, they were an absolute blast to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Personally I think people have a very high-horse opinion of Uncharted because it is a fairly linear, mainstream gaming series. But the reality is games are designed to be fun, and Uncharted ticks all boxes and then some. I think it caught a lot of people out by surprise with that. Sure it wasn't that long ago we thought games like Pitfall and Prince of Persia were amazing games - Uncharted just carries on that platform tradition. The game play is very good, too.

Although I don't know why we're using that as an example to compare it to TLG. Personally I find it odd that it's taken this long, I don't think the vision/idea of the game is holding it back, just the fact they don't have a team with the technical nuances to make it happen.

Well at least we know it's in full development. I'm sure we'll hear it mentioned by someone at E3.

.ak wrote: »
    Personally I think people have a very high-horse opinion of Uncharted because it is a fairly linear, mainstream gaming series. But the reality is games are designed to be fun, and Uncharted ticks all boxes and then some. I think it caught a lot of people out by surprise with that. Sure it wasn't that long ago we thought games like Pitfall and Prince of Persia were amazing games - Uncharted just carries on that platform tradition. The game play is very good, too.

Although I don't know why we're using that as an example to compare it to TLG. Personally I find it odd that it's taken this long, I don't think the vision/idea of the game is holding it back, just the fact they don't have a team with the technical nuances to make it happen.

Ah, Prince of Persia, Sands of Time on the PS2, now that was a platformer. Pure brilliant.

Read back over the previous few posts to see why Uncharted was mentioned.

I only mentioned Uncharted and Naughty Dog cause they are well respected, I could just have easily said there have been 6 or 7 Fifa's since they started this :pac:

I honestly think it's more than technical issues holding them back at this stage, it's gotta be design issues too (their design/plan for the game might not have been technically possible on the PS3). Of course at this stage they are working on the PS4 now, but it's going to be 2016 at the earliest before we see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Might be out for the PS5
    Rumours were rife that Team ICO’s The Last Guardian had been cancelled prior to Sony’s E3 media briefing. Nonetheless, while Sony clarified these claims, we still saw no sign of the game at the expo. President of worldwide studios for SCE Shuhei Yoshida spoke to Eurogamer about the situation for the past couple of days and why The Last Guardian missed E3 again.

“There were a difficult couple of days before the show – I’m sure you noticed. I’m so happy it was retracted before the show happened.” He then said that development was still on for the game.

“Lots of people tweeted me they were heartbroken by that news [prior to the show]. People are going through this roller coaster of emotions, and it’s our fault for not releasing the game, yet.

“We owe a lot to those people, but we really don’t want to release piecemeal information until we can say this is The Last Guardian – so we ask you to wait.”
    The Last Guardian's exclusion from Sony's E3 presentation has been explained.

The forthcoming action-adventure title wasn't showcased during the presser because it simply 'wasn't ready'.

"It was a fun week of Last Guardian news," PlayStation executive Scott Rohde told GameSpot.

"At PlayStation, it's really important to us to make sure that the creative process works."

He added: "And in this case, [game director Fumito Ueda] has created something that's great, it's just going to need some time. We'll show it when it's ready."

• Advertisement

They should just release it already for the Vita, then build a purdy version for the PS4.
    Just release the flipping thing already!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

You can't release what's far from being finished.
    We'll probably see something at TGS, but it might end up being a 2016 game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They should just release it already for the Vita, then build a purdy version for the PS4.
    Just release the flipping thing already!

If they're having trouble fitting it into PS3 hardware, I think switching to Vita may be solving the wrong problem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

While we're all talking of Uncharted: I dislike many aspects of them.

The platforming sections are quite dull in their linearity (since you don't have many options beyond "hold DIRECTION until you need to press JUMP"), and their length pales in comparison to the endless, neverending SHOOTING.

I can't even remember how many humans I killed over the course of the games I finished (1+3), but it was definitely in the hundreds.
    And honestly, after the first few dozen, it becomes very samey and dull: walk into area, find some cover, shoot until there's 1-2 guys left and punch him in the face.
    Also I started to question whether I was even a "hero" (since the heroes I know don't kill THIS often) but the story wants me to know I'm very definitely the "good guy".

In contrast, I remember every kill from Shadow of the Colossus, because every encounter was grandiose and meaningful. And some of them definitely felt wrong, but the game didn't try to impress on me that I was a hero: I was a selfish boy, and I got what I deserved.

Ha, I'm to blame for this Uncharted chat, apologies, though I wasn't even comparing the games!

After a no show at e3 I don't think we'll see it until next e3 at he earliest. They aren't releasing any info on it so it's a safe bet to assume full dev has only started recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    While we're all talking of Uncharted: I dislike many aspects of them.

The platforming sections are quite dull in their linearity (since you don't have many options beyond "hold DIRECTION until you need to press JUMP"), and their length pales in comparison to the endless, neverending SHOOTING.

I can't even remember how many humans I killed over the course of the games I finished (1+3), but it was definitely in the hundreds.
    And honestly, after the first few dozen, it becomes very samey and dull: walk into area, find some cover, shoot until there's 1-2 guys left and punch him in the face.
    Also I started to question whether I was even a "hero" (since the heroes I know don't kill THIS often) but the story wants me to know I'm very definitely the "good guy".

In contrast, I remember every kill from Shadow of the Colossus, because every encounter was grandiose and meaningful. And some of them definitely felt wrong, but the game didn't try to impress on me that I was a hero: I was a selfish boy, and I got what I deserved.

Morality was never high on my list of priorities while playing any Uncharted game. I take it for what it is: a fun, action filled game where I'm the good guy and the fate of the villains doesn't overly concern me.

There's more than enough games out there these days that make you question your actions, Uncharted has never been about that really and that doesn't bother me.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-its-time-for-your-latest-update-on-the-last-guardian-again
    AWOL PlayStation exclusive The Last Guardian didn't turn up during Sony's Gamescom press conference this week. Were we expecting it? Perhaps not.

But we had hoped for the Team Ico title to perhaps show up at the Tokyo Game Show in September 2014.

Alas, it doesn't sound like it'll be there, either.

"Will we see it at Tokyo Game Show?" we asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in an interview today.

"I don't think so," was his response. "Sorry."

When will we see it?

"When we are ready. I cannot confirm any timing because we are waiting for it to be in a state where we are happy that this is the game. We have a certain time frame in our mind, and the team is making great progress, but still not to the point that we can say that, here you go."

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well at least it has not been shelved, and they are making progress, slow painstaking progress, but progress none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Xenji wrote: »
    Well at least it has not been shelved, and they are making progress, slow painstaking progress, but progress none the less.

stopstop-570x291.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

In an interview with Weekly Famitsu, the fact that many of the upcoming games for the PS4 were multi-platform releases was brought up. "I think it's fine to start from there." Yoshida said. "If the number of PS4 users increases from there and they tell their friends, 'the games look prettier on the PS4,' or 'the loading time's faster,' or 'using the SHARE function is fun' then the sales for PS4 versions of games will increase and game creators may think 'let's focus on developing for the PS4 from here.'"

The interviewer noted that if for the time being, third party developers were making multi-platform games, then the role of first party games would be extremely important. Yoshida agreed. "Yes. We need to show why buying a PS4 is a good idea through our games."

Of course, on the topic of first party games, the obvious elephant in the room could not be avoided. The interview was concluded with the final question: "What can you tell us about The Last Guardian?"

Yoshida's response: "Development couldn't be better."

A quote he quickly followed with, "... That might be a bit of an exaggeration (laugh). We continue to work diligently on the game, so please look forward to it."

Well at least it is still in development, probably in another 5 years the response will still be the same.

I wish they'd stop asking that question now. They have said they'll show it when it's ready and that it's in development.

Realistically it won't be re-announced until E3 at least.

These articles just make me a sad panda.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It'll totally be out in December.

Now go bump the Half Life 3 thread as well for the craic. :)

So, is this dead or what?

Advanced apologies for any hopes I've crushed. It's a genuine query!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Development of it has moved from the PS3 to PS4 and slowed things down even more. Wouldn't be shocked if they have to rebuild the whole thing again.

Cool, can't wait to see it on the PS5. :D

Oh it's that time of year! :)

Signs genuinely seem to be pointing that this could be the E3!

I really hope it is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Oh it's that time of year! :)

Signs genuinely seem to be pointing that this could be the E3!

I really hope it is :(

Sony have come out and basically said they have next to nothing exclusives wise to show off this year. Unless that's a ploy to try and catch everyone on the hop when/if they go and pull the rabbit out of the hat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even if it is at E3 don't get your hopes up. Sony could just throw out a heavily scripted demo to make a show that it is still in development and bolster a lacking line up if there's is bare bones. Basicallu until there's reports of a playable build I'm taking the stance of 'yeah... sure sony.'

Advertisement