Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway, schools?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I hope to move from the North to near Galway City in the summer and will be looking for a good secondary school for my son. He's 13 and enjoys studying, so looking for somewhere that will nurture academic progress. Would like to hear people's experiences of the different secondary schools in Galway. Will be looking for a house to rent on the outskirts of the city. I don't drive so would need to find school within range of bus services etc. Any tips re areas to live or schools would be much appreciated.
    :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Which side of the city are you moving to?
    Do you want your son in a mixed school or an all boys' school?
    Would you prefer to live near the school? The city bus service is reasonably efficient.

Your choices for a boy are:

St Jospeh's (Bish) in city centre. All boys

Jesuit College (Jes) , city centre. Mixed.

Colaiste Einde (Enda's), Salthill/Knockncarra. Mixed

St Mary's. Shantalla/Lower Salthill. All boys.

Yeats. Private fee paying. City centre. Mixed.

Oranmore. 5KM from city. Mixed.

I think that is it.

My top 3 would be 1/Bish, 2/ Enda's 3/ Jes

All others are girls' only.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Hi! I first registered with the same issue in mind, as you can see from my 'lame' Username.
    I would really recommend Enda's College in Salthill, a mixed Secondary. It has a great mix of Academic and Sporting pursuits, has a third of girls to keep the boys slightly civilised, is incredibly multi-cultural and open to all sorts of kids. The facilities are probably the best in Galway.

My daughter, who felt a little out of place in her Primary because she is very bookish and quite original in her interests, feels so happy there, and is learning so much.

Kids of all types fit in well, and I have been impressed by all her teachers bar one. (BTW, I am a secondary teacher myself, so I feel I'm in touch with standards etc.) They have house exams 4/5 times a year, and achievers are celebrated.

Most importantly, they are encouraged to develop in all aspects. I don't know if it's the case in the Bish, the most academically reputed boys school in Galway...

Best of luck with your move and your decision, I hope other parents (and maybe pupils) will give you feedback too.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

+1 for Enda's

Oldest daughter left Enda's last summer, son (16) still there.

Can not speak highly enough about this school.

Do exams on a regular basis and staff always helpful.

They run homework clubs and there is also 2 study sessions each evening.

This is the website and it is on threadneedle rd, in Salthill.

BTW: what part of the North are you from? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 catsea

Hi, thanks for both replies, very detailed and useful info...I can start now to email the schools recommended. It's great to have something solid to go on. I was previously quite overwhelmed with the selection coming up on a google search and with no reviews from parents or kids.
    My son is presently nearing the end of his 2nd year in an all boys school, but I have no set preference for him to attend the same, I see advantages and disadvantages with both types of schools although am starting to shift to the idea that it would be good for him to go to a mixed school.. being an only child starting off in a new area, it might be better for him to develop friendships with both sexes.
    He would be okay with cycling( on a cycle friendly rd) or taking bus to school so school doesn't have to be too close. I'm not sure what side of the city I will move to, depends on availability and rental costs. I've been told Oranmore is a nice place, and I'm a little familiar with Barna and Salthill having spent holidays there. I will be looking for work so public transport will be needed until such time as I get a driving license.
    Cheers!:)

Hi paulgalway
    I'm from Belfast. Been wanting to make this move for years...Some folk say I'm mad to be planning for it now with the economic downturn but I think with regard to my boy's age I can't put it off any longer. I feel that despite the problems that There will be much to compensate.
    Thanks for advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I spent 7yrs in a boarding school back in the 70's. I would reccommend a mixed school.

We live in the east side of the city, kids went to Renmore national school and even though Enda's is on the other side of the city decided it would suit the kids better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

catsea wrote: »
    He would be okay with cycling( on a cycle friendly rd) or taking bus to school so school doesn't have to be too close. I'm not sure what side of the city I will move to, depends on availability and rental costs. I've been told Oranmore is a nice place, and I'm a little familiar with Barna and Salthill having spent holidays there. I will be looking for work so public transport will be needed until such time as I get a driving license.
    Cheers!:)

Public Transport is pretty rubbish in those places. The bus to Oranmore is infrequent (especially in the evening) and costs a fiver, Barna is just outside the bus route and the Salthill bus is ok, but not the most frequent.

If you're going to be taking public transport for a while you should definitely make sure you'll be living on a bus route, and a regular one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

http://www.galway-ireland.ie/secondary-schools.htm

This may be of use to you OP, It's a listing of all the Secondary schools with phone numbers and email contact addresses....

For what it's worth my 2 sons are in the Bish and I'm delighted with it. Has a great reputation as a feeder school into NUIG and is totally committed to academic studies.
    There are no Home economics, Art or Music taught so that may be a deal breaker for you but then again it leaves extra time for other subjects.....

I must add as well that my boys went to primary school out in the country and travel each morning about 26km into the Bish. Because of this they knew absolutely no-one at the school and it was never a problem. Within a week they had a group of friends around them as if they'd all moved from the same primary school:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Its a long way from Oranmore to St. Endas. IMO it would be a nightmare to have to commute there everyday. Does your son play any sport or have any other activities? If you do live on one of main Bus Routes in the City you will be sorted for life; going to School, College, Town, nights out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

Another one for Enda's here - we are delighted with it, the most amazing headteacher, and it also has homework club for the younger pupils and then proper study for the older ones.
    Bus services can be a bit rubbish, but there are school buses and when our son stays for homework club he gets a non-school bus home.
    I will say this - I have heard that the Bish and the Jes are difficult to get into if you are not from Galway and have no ties here, which is the situation that we were in. As it turns out, we applied to three and got our first choice which was Enda's anyway.
    That's just personal experience though, and is in no way meant to put you off. Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Another vote for Enda's! My son is in second year there and is doing really well. He is very academic and likes to be challenged. The school caters for the entire spectrum and while achievement is encouraged and fostered, the weaker are not left behind. We are VERY happy with the teachers, the facilities and extra-curricular activities.

@OP: I would recommend that you check with the various schools if their subject choices match the subjects your son is doing at the moment. If he is going into third year he will be sitting the Junior Cert next summer and it would probably be best if he could do it in the subjects he is studying at present.

Good Luck!

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Will be looking for a house to rent on the outskirts of the city. I don't drive so would need to find school within range of bus services etc. Any tips re areas to live or schools would be much appreciated.

Depending on what you mean by "outskirts", you may be disappointed.

If you're hoping for a detatched house in a semi-rural environment, but still with a frequent-ish (say every hour) bus route that stop close enough so you can carry your groceries home from the supermarket - then I think you're plain out of luck: the public transport system here just doesn't do that sort of stuff.

If you mean a demi-d in a suburban estate with between 20 and 100 other similar houses in it and a pleansant-looking but totally non-functional round green bit in the middle, maybe 15-30 minutes bus ride from the city centre, maybe or maybe not within walking distance of a neighbourhood pub, and with a local bus service every 15 or 30 minutes ... then yes, there are places here like that.

Are you or someone else in the household going to be working? Most of the jobs are on the east side of town, but pretty much all the recommended schools are on the west side. So or the other of workers / kids will probably have an unpleasant commute.

fyi, I have a website that tells you everything you never wanted to know about Galway's public transport system - including this map which shows the location of Endas. (I haven't tried to do all schools ... far too many of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭combat5

+1 for India's

Oldest daughter left Enda's last summer, son (16) still there.

Can not speak highly enough about this school.

Do exams on a regular basis and staff always helpful.

They run homework clubs and there is also 2 study sessions each evening.

This is the website and it is on threadneedle rd, in Salthill.

BTW: what part of the North are you from? :)
    as i am in endas and in 4th year and find this to be a real good school as most teachers are funny and can teach you a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

The only three schools with their salt at the moment, in my opinion, are Endas, Coláiste na Coiribe and G.C.C. Advantages to each and have friends in each.

combat5 wrote: »
    as i am in endas and in 4th year and find this to be a real good school as most teachers are funny and can teach you a lot

Thanks! Good to hear a pupils perspective...sharing these posts with my son and he really likes the sound of St Endas.

JustMary wrote: »
    Depending on what you mean by "outskirts", you may be disappointed.

If you're hoping for a detatched house in a semi-rural environment, but still with a frequent-ish (say every hour) bus route that stop close enough so you can carry your groceries home from the supermarket - then I think you're plain out of luck: the public transport system here just doesn't do that sort of stuff.

If you mean a demi-d in a suburban estate with between 20 and 100 other similar houses in it and a pleansant-looking but totally non-functional round green bit in the middle, maybe 15-30 minutes bus ride from the city centre, maybe or maybe not within walking distance of a neighbourhood pub, and with a local bus service every 15 or 30 minutes ... then yes, there are places here like that.

Are you or someone else in the household going to be working? Most of the jobs are on the east side of town, but pretty much all the recommended schools are on the west side. So or the other of workers / kids will probably have an unpleasant commute.

fyi, I have a website that tells you everything you never wanted to know about Galway's public transport system - including this map which shows the location of Endas. (I haven't tried to do all schools ... far too many of them).

Thanks so much for the info...I will have to conform to how the transport system works, we will be trying for St Endas, and I hope to find work, am presently looking so both will will depend on public transport for everything, shopping, pub....

sgthighway wrote: »
    Its a long way from Oranmore to St. Endas. IMO it would be a nightmare to have to commute there everyday. Does your son play any sport or have any other activities? If you do live on one of main Bus Routes in the City you will be sorted for life; going to School, College, Town, nights out.....

Thanks for this warning...sounds like I def need to find a home close to a main bus route for everything. My son likes the sound of St Endas...so we will apply for there. He's easygoing about sports, takes part but not that competitive, loves art, and starting to do rowing at present school, which he seems to enjoy.

Really appreciate all the words of advice and info...will help us to make the right choices I'm sure. Going to research the bus routes now with a view to directing me to finding a place to live that will allow for travel to St Endas, should my son manage to get a place there....he so far likes the sound of it. Will also be depending on transport for work, shopping, leisure etc. Cheers everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Thanks for this warning...sounds like I def need to find a home close to a main bus route for everything. My son likes the sound of St Endas...so we will apply for there. He's easygoing about sports, takes part but not that competitive, loves art, and starting to do rowing at present school, which he seems to enjoy.

My two lads row for the Bish for the past 2 and 4 years. The eldest lad last year competed and won 10 gold medals during the season ( 2 of which were All-Ireland National Rowing Championship Gold medals.......proud mammy moment here:))
    They have a fantastic rowing history and it is unreal the discipline it instills in them. The Jes row as well and I think they do Art classes so maybe check them out. As far as I know Enda's don't have rowing!
    I'm not sure but I know the Bish do outside of class activities e.g art classes if the demand is there so it would be worth checking it out. Maybe ring or email them to see if that option is available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

If rowing is important I think the Bish and Jes are the two main schools where this sport is high on the agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

No voice for Mary's? I went there a few years ago and loved the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

You have to know OP that it's extremely difficult to get in the Jes, if you don't have previous links to the school. I don't know about how the Bish works. Enda's works on a random system for enrolment. It's a jungle out there, I highly recommend applying to several schools just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Colaiste Na Coiribe is out of the question because you won't be able to get in there with numbers being so tight....

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

If rowing is important I think the Bish and Jes are the two main schools where this sport is high on the agenda.

NUIG is also great for rowing after his leaving cert !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

You have to know OP that it's extremely difficult to get in the Jes, if you don't have previous links to the school. I don't know about how the Bish works. Enda's works on a random system for enrolment. It's a jungle out there, I highly recommend applying to several schools just in case!
    I understood that the Jes does give priority to children/siblings of past pupils but, once prospective pupils on that list are selected, the remaining places are distributed at random to applicants who have applied that year. Meaning there is a chance to get in now for September's intake unlike some other schools which operate a first come first serve basis where you have to apply when your child is still in nappies. I believe CNC is already oversubscribed for the September 2120 intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Very past pupil of the Jes here, the Jes still does art and rowing as far as I know. Re new pupils in the Jes, nearly every year new pupils entered my year, to replace pupils who had left. None of them had any previous links to the school that I can remember. It was always very difficult to get into first year but it may be esier to get into 2nd year and so on. Of course it may still be difficult to get in.

I have spoken to few mums and their sons about Endas as my son will be going to second level in a few years and I wanted to get a broad view of what is available. Both the mums and their sons seem happy with Endas, both of the kids are quite studious too.

Thanks! Good to hear a pupils perspective...sharing these posts with my son and he really likes the sound of St Endas.
    good to hear it is a very good school

as a endas don't have rowing we do a sailing if he was int to the rowing

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Whest

Surprised that St Marys doesnt get more of a mention- i was there from 1998-2003 and found the teachers excellent and the majority has a real passion for emparting knowledge. The current president is Father Barry Hogg and he is an absolute gent...Unless things have changed drastically since I left Mary's I would seriously consider it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Whest wrote: »
    Surprised that St Marys doesnt get more of a mention- i was there from 1998-2003 and found the teachers excellent and the majority has a real passion for emparting knowledge. The current president is Father Barry Hogg and he is an absolute gent...Unless things have changed drastically since I left Mary's I would seriously consider it,

3 sitting TDs went to Mary's.

Advertisement