Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Zombie Apocalypse Car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭dunnaman93

I would pick anything that runs on diesel due to the simple fact that every single farm in the country has a diesel tank for tractors and what not, even though its green diesel it'll run fine.

I personally would choose to avoid urban areas and the fact that your bound to come across a farm every few miles in the countryside means its very unlikely that you'll run out of fuel!

It being green diesel just don't get stopped by the zombie custom officials!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thebillynator

Quad bike FTW, not only do they have a great load capacity but are great off road, compact, and you can get diesel powered ones, also you could add protection for yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Landy Defender with a couple of AK's mounted on it and a double barrel shotgun on the passenger seat

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

One of the dirt buggys would be perfect. If you could somehow mount hardened perspex on the inside of the bars (and outside), it would give you speed, off-road capabilities and protection too.

c67d0c4a0d93e47a4d14d851e73b0d06.jpg

Also, the one above is a four person. If you didnt need the four person, remove the back seats and replace with a nice large petrol tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is armour all that important?

We see it used in the movies when people are moving though cities but I don't think it'll give much of an advantage.

Rotting zombie more than likely won't be able to break a car window, they're designed to be tough.

Armour will seriously increase your fuel consumption, making any change to something as highly engineered will have consequences. Cars this days are moving more and more towards a monocoque design which gives cars huge strength but once you start messing with that design the car could literally fall apart at the worst possible time.

If your in a vehicle the best defence against zombies will be to simply drive away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

'99 corsa. Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JacComedy

jltv_bae_2.jpg
    Something like this if I could get it. Something to carry enough fuel to keep itself going to the next spot to hopefully find more fuel. Then when out of all that start walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'd be heading to the curragh to liberate one of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

A tank or armoured car would be good, but where do you get one? how to drive it? maintain / use it etc? (ok, maybe the Curragh as mentioned above)

But I reckon a common production car (eg BMW, Merc, Audi, etc) would be good, as long as its big , strong, reliable and runs on diesel. So, where to look .... I was going to suggest something you would see on a taxi rank (as they would be reliable, strong and have room for all your sttuf), but I saw a Mitz Colt with a Taxi sign on the roof @ lunchtime stroll .... I kid you not!

...ground clearance would be a problem

What about those ESB trucks? (cant remember name - mahog? big yellow 4x4 truck / flat-bed things) they look great and might be more readly avail than a tank ...

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thebillynator

This?
    5474340527_34761745d9.jpg

• Advertisement

I really don't see the point in getting anything bigger than a pick up. Anything bigger than that will just eat fuel. They're designed for torque and load pulling, so you won't be going anywhere in a hurry. 80kph would be about your maximum speed.

They will be a flashing beacon to other people which could be the real danger. Driving one of them means you must have the resources to back it up, namely a large store of fuel somewhere. Plus you have no chance of getting away from them if they're in a standard car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

This?

Yup, thats the one, Billy.
    I reckon its a good compromise between car and tank. You could take a lot of stuff off it to make it much lighter. Fuel to run it long term would be a prob, but thats long term. You prob only need this for a year. After that, all the Z's are dead, or in really small pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

2008-03_Glabek-LesothoHerdboy.jpg

Africa Twin. Good on road, off road, long haul, short haul..

Extra payload for petrol/provisions/weapons..

Engine is hefty enough to lug you around with your armor on

The genius who comes up with a diesel version of this will be the last man standing.

Also can be stowed in your hilux and used as a scout vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Old Defender or Hilux ftw. If I could get my hands on one of those UK army surpluss one's sold off after the Kuwait war it could be almost perfect. They were modified to be lighter (so they could be air dropped) and long range. Would go almost anywhere, would be reasonably tough and easy to maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Ah lads, come on now, Honda 50, only way to go;)

1978_honda_c70_06.jpg?w=470&h=693

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Sturdy toyota hilux or something similar with a 29'er hardtail mountain bike and an audax bike (bicycle) in the back for quite scouting/when you run out of fuel/encounter a road bike/break down.

Bicycle is great for manuverability, reliability and go anywhereness but you can't sleep in one and you're pretty exposed when you're surrounded by zombies.
    4x4 can carry more, bust its way through small crowds of Z's and offer more protection but you can't carry it if it breaks down, parts are less interchangble/harder to service and rough/urban terrain is an issue.

So I'd go with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Toyota Hilux would be ideal.Pretty unbreakable anyway,if you check out out twhat the Taliban drive around in Afghanistan,where maintence isnt a big thingn on cars.Its all Toyota,that must be saying somthing.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Toyota Hilux would be ideal.Pretty unbreakable anyway,if you check out out twhat the Taliban drive around in Afghanistan,where maintence isnt a big thingn on cars.Its all Toyota,that must be saying somthing.:D

Hilux is ok and they are reliable BUT when they do break (and they will) they are very expensive to repair compared to....

A Defender Series, 90/110...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

EBF_madmax_car.jpg

This, the interceptor :)

• Advertisement

Hilux is ok and they are reliable BUT when they do break (and they will) they are very expensive to repair compared to....

A Defender Series, 90/110...

Which break ALL the time,or bits fall off them!:D:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chocablock

I imagine if fuel wasnt an issue a large semi truck would be your best bet....Run down a horde of zombies and not even feel it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

zero19 wrote: »
    EBF_madmax_car.jpg

This, the interceptor :)

The Interceptor was based on a 76 XB Falcon coupe, with a Blown Cleveland351, Bastards of machines to Fuel, Dogs to Steer, and Brakes are all but non existant, fine if you have hundreds of Km of Outback, useless anywhere else, Trust me, I salivated over that car as a child too, then I drove one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg

You know why.
    88 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

The-Rigger wrote: »
    1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg

You know why.
    88 mph.

Plus, fueling it is simple - just get your trash bin.

You have to get one from the future for that feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

ScumLord wrote: »
    You have to get one from the future for that feature.
    and even then rubbish only powers the time circuts.. still need pertol to get her to 88

peatcass wrote: »
    and even then rubbish only powers the time circuts.. still need pertol to get her to 88
    Or a steam train.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

You're forgetting about the flux capacitors :P going nowhere without one. Past or future that is....

• Advertisement

Still an all.It might be very safe,as the door locks were notoriously tempermental on them.So the thing is the Zs mightnt be able to open the doors to get at you.Trouble is..You mightnt be able to get out either!!!!

As happened to John DeLorean and a VIP at the cars launch.They were locked in the car for six hours while the technicans figured how to open the doors without a blow torch while under the Press and media glare!!:D:D
    DeLorean cars..Built by a gangster,for gangsters!:D:D

Advertisement