Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Zombie Apocalypse Car?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

So the zombie apocalypse hits and we're all scurrying for weapons and supplies, what car would you take to ferry you to safety?

For me it would probably have to be a land rover defender. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Tactical Segway ?

w7LYe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Bobjims wrote: »
    So the zombie apocalypse hits and we're all scurrying for weapons and supplies, what car would you take to ferry you to safety?

Defender or Nissan X-trail/Izuzu D-max/Ford F-150 (350 uses too much fuel). With an extended fuel tank in the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

viking-splash-dublin.jpg

that. end of :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bobjims wrote: »

Land rovers are notoriously unreliable, if your commandeering one there's a chance it could have a problem.

Choices may be limited, if your in your local area you might know where your model may be at any particular time but if your in an unfamiliar area you'll have to choose something based on practicality.

If I was in a city I'd go for something small, preferably Japanese for their reliability and build quality, but a French car would be just as good. these are nibble use small fuel and will be able to get through gaps bigger cars wouldn't. Nothing low riding or modded either.

Once out of the city it's a good old fashioned Toyota Hilux.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

I don't know if anyone else has watched Apocalypse Man, with Rudy Reyes...I've caught a couple of eps...anyway, in one of them he talks about how it's best to use a vehicle that takes diesel, because a) only about 5% of cars in the States use diesel so all the gasoline will be gone [I realize most everyone here is in Ireland and I can't speak for the percentage there, if any] and b) you can make diesel yourself, and he even goes on to show you how to do so.

That being said...I drive a Honda CR-v, and it's roomy, perfect for traveling, so I'd use it until I had the opportunity to find something better suited.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Land Cruiser
    /Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

ChaseThisLight is spot on w/ the diesel proposal. I'd go that route if at all possible. Being able to manufacture your own fuel, albeit less efficient than currently produced fuel, would be a HUGE benefit.

The newer electric cars COULD be manageable if you were able to generate electricity. Issue is that many are VERY small and not as durable as gas/diesel powered vehicles.

Me? I'm gonna find a horse. :D

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    ChaseThisLight is spot on w/ the diesel proposal. I'd go that route if at all possible. Being able to manufacture your own fuel, albeit less efficient than currently produced fuel, would be a HUGE benefit.

The newer electric cars COULD be manageable if you were able to generate electricity. Issue is that many are VERY small and not as durable as gas/diesel powered vehicles.

Me? I'm gonna find a horse. :D
    The real problem with electric cars is batteries have a shelf life which is typically around five years for standard domestic batteries. It could be longer on car batteries I'm not sure but ultimately unless we could manufacture the batteries they're as short term as running out of diesel and petrol. From this year on however we will begin to see more and more electric hybrid cars which may extend the usability of both electric and oil based modes of transport.

Yeeps - good point Scumy. Batteries, like any type of fuel, have a shelf life and if things go horribly awry battery production would be as affected as gas/diesel production.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

One plus on the electric cars: you can hardly hear them when they're running. Perfect if you want to travel quietly and not draw attention to yourself.

I think Dakota has an excellent idea though with the horse...eventually there'll be no gas, so cars will be obsolete. Back to simpler ways will win out, unless enough people with the know how survive to make things work.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

funny_car_pictures_05.gif
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Bobjims

I would be inlined to select a car based on its durability when running over the zombies too.

The last thing you want is the front bumper falling off and getting jammed in one of the wheel arches, leaving you stuck in the middle of a zombie hoard.

Also, +1 on the diesel as being the fuel of choice.

Horse will be "the" mode of transport more than likely. It carries many advantages with the loss of society, most of all it'll be a companion should you be left alone, it can give early warning of all kinds of dangers, easy to feed, great off road and you get to sing "horse outside" all the way through the apocalypse.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Horse will be "the" mode of transport more than likely. It carries many advantages with the loss of society, most of all it'll be a companion should you be left alone, it can give early warning of all kinds of dangers, easy to feed, great off road and you get to sing "horse outside" all the way through the apocalypse.

Biggest problem I can see with a horse is that you will be very vulnerable to being bitten on the leg by some zombie. At least in a car you wont get bitten while sitting in it.

Yeah yer right Bobjims. Not a whole lot of protection on the horse. I guess you'd have to keep you distance from the Z's while mounted.

Also - horses may not need a tune ups or oil but they do require some fairly specialized care. A sick horse is massive trouble but even simple things like hoof maintenance, etc can be daunting if you've not done it before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Surely something quiet is important, or at least manouverable, I see defenders and such being named they're awesome but any reasonable road block, or pile up of cars = totally ****ed.
    A motor bike, horse or car with a very small and quiet engine which would economical to fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionn14

Opel Zafira. No doubt.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Surely something quiet is important, or at least manouverable, I see defenders and such being named they're awesome but any reasonable road block, or pile up of cars = totally ****ed.
    A motor bike, horse or car with a very small and quiet engine which would economical to fuel.
    I don't think a car that's quieter than another car is going to be much of an improvement an engine is loud either way and in a quiet setting a 1 litre will stand out as much as a 2 litre in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

in the zombie survival handbook it claims that the motorbike(preferably scrambler) is the best form of transportation as they are economical and can go on any terrain. the pros outweigh the cons so dirt bike it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

you see the scrambler is still really loud so it would only really be very useful in the country side where you NEED to go cross country so the z's have a smaller chance of following you

a bicylce will do the same job in the city as well as being almost completely quite and wont draw attention to you from long distances

I think the cons outweigh the pros in this case

• Advertisement

FatherLen wrote: »
    in the zombie survival handbook it claims that the motorbike(preferably scrambler) is the best form of transportation as they are economical and can go on any terrain. the pros outweigh the cons so dirt bike it is.
    Have you ever tried to ride one? It's one thing using one on a road but it takes real skill to do it off road without killing yourself.

I had a go on a trials bike once (an even more off road bike than a scrambler) and the bike took off ok but I was just left there in a "I'm riding a bike pose".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

on the topic of Bikes
    honda-50cc.jpg
    this IMO is one of the finest mass transport solutions of the 20th century.

if you are good to it it will take you ANYWHERE, they are pervasive in every society on this planet, they are more numerous than VW Beetles, Toyota Corollas and Model T Fords combined, they are possibly the most straightforward engine I have ever seen, they will run on the sniff of an oily rag and can take horendous abuse.

the modern ones have electronic ignition

they also have spectacular cargo capacity
    5444735902_247bc6c6cd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

ScumLord wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to ride one? It's one thing using one on a road but it takes real skill to do it off road without killing yourself.

I had a go on a trials bike once (an even more off road bike than a scrambler) and the bike took off ok but I was just left there in a "I'm riding a bike pose".
    well yeah a trials bike would be useless but maybe a 125 or 250 scrambler wouldnt be too loud and would still be powerfull enough to carry some supplies and go a decent speed. if travelling on my own i would definately use one and even if you run out of fuel, it wont be improbable to push it a few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Are we talking Money no problem,orwhatever you can lay your hands on?
    Money no problem,a Chevvy K5 milspec Blazer with a 6in lift and all the trimmings please.:D 2nd a Toyota VX amazon customised.Both are massive reliable units that can haul huge amounts of gear,and are pretty bulletproof machines.
    Reality,anything 4x4 that is driveable in a hurry.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

I agree totally with a scrambler for a get away vehicle, but, when going through the city streets the population density of zombies would be considerably higher so to go do the weekly grocery shopping in the city I advise using one of these
    90886_ORIG-Hummer_knight_xv_next_to_a_.jpg
    I bring you the Knight XV, it's pretty badass compared to the likes of a Humvee or Land Rover Defender. They're armor plated steel, and almost fireproof. Door hinges are reinforced to prevent unwanted dead or alive humans entering. Comes with six liter V8, with over 400HP, can run on diesel and ethanol.
    http://www.conquestvehicles.com/brochure.html
    Here's the brochure for additional information.
    Being such a large engine it might run out of fuel quickly, to solve this problem you mount a very large fuel tank on the roof (reinforced with Kevlar or dragon-skin of course, just to prevent those nasty people shooting holes in it). If it's too loud, put a better silencer on it. There'd be no problem on getting away as all windows are bulletproof, all tires are run flat and those zombies that didn't die after being run over, to help there's a rear view camera to help, all from the comfort of your leather and suede interior.

I think I've covered most of it...;):cool:
    D.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sweet..But whats the chance of finding one in somones garage in D4 ,down town Riahdyah, Saudai Arabia that is??:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

You'd be surprised what you'd find here...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

To the fellas saying an MX bike would be best I can tell you that you won't get far off road without seriously hurting yourself if you aren't experienced.

Plus the threads is specific about what car to choose.

• Advertisement

The main problem with adding a fuel tank to the roof of the Knight XV is finding a safe workshop in which to make this modification. Apart from that, if you had a prepared one available before the zombie apocalypse I agree that it would be a safe mode of transport, looks badass too. :D

I know this can't really be classed as a car and there are none really in existence in Ireland, but (if I had the time and facilities to build it) I would probably feel safest travelling in this...
    http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_1561.html

Advertisement