Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHELTENHAM - DAY 4: Friday 18th March

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Mr.Conners

Talking through your pocket hole.

The kid did nothing wrong, would you prefer if the horse stayed standing and finished 5th or 6th? He gave him every chance and no jockey would have stayed up, the horse didnt even jump.

In fairness he did go off too quickly, he may not have made a mistake when going to jump the fence but if the horse wasn't tired he would have jumped it.

I have seen worse jumps where the jockey has stayed up, Oscar Wells iirc absolutely thumped a fence the other day but the jockey stayed on. The 16 year old didn't have any strength to pull the horse up as such, wouldn't have made a difference though.

However, it is an amateur race. People expecting the races to be flawless can forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

DB10 wrote: »
    No jockey would have stayed up? LOL

Sure lads believe what ya want really. The moon is made of cheese as well is it.

You sir, are a clown. Go back to the circus.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

eilo1 wrote: »
    So you backed this horse and dont even know how to look up his form in the racing post?!!??

He won at Weatherby and Haydock

As for being related, I wish I was related to the Twiston Davies.

So which jockey would you have liked to ride the horse? let me guess Ruby Walsh :pac::pac:

Yeah Wetherby and Haydock.

Not the same as Cheltenham is it brains, for someone who thinks they know it all.

You know everything yet you know nothing, idiot.

Nulty wrote: »
    You sir, are a clown. Go back to the circus.
    Might find young T-D there.

He could practise walking the tight rope, mightn't fall off every horse as easy.

Mr.Conners wrote: »
    In fairness he did go off too quickly, he may not have made a mistake when going to jump the fence but if the horse wasn't tired he would have jumped it.

I have seen worse jumps where the jockey has stayed up, Oscar Wells iirc absolutely thumped a fence the other day but the jockey stayed on. The 16 year old didn't have any strength to pull the horse up as such, wouldn't have made a difference though.

However, it is an amateur race. People expecting the races to be flawless can forget about it.

Exactly.

People don't like to look at facts when they see **** ups like this. It's nobody's fault, get a grip fools.

Everyone would be quick to fawn over him if he actually did win, but a bit of small technical criticism and people blow a fuse.

Really he lost alot of people money of course some will react to such idiotic riding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

You know DB10 the people on this thread have been very helpful and generous offering information and support over the festival. I thinks its been a great place to talk about the runners and riders over the last few days.

If you would pipe down and listen a bit you would probably learn something and maybe have more luck with your betting.
    Instead you are ruining a really good forum with ridiculous statements and insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

So how many winners did Ireland finish up with at the end of the four days?

eilo1 wrote: »
    You know DB10 the people on this thread have been very helpful and generous offering information and support over the festival. I thinks its been a great place to talk about the runners and riders over the last few days.

If you would pipe down and listen a bit you would probably learn something and maybe have more luck with your betting.
    Instead you are ruining a really good forum with ridiculous statements and insults.

Fair enough, I'm out of here.

But the way he lost that race was sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

So how many winners did Ireland finish up with at the end of the four days?

Thats racing baby................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

Live with it. The jockey owes you **** all mistake or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

What a ****ing idiot that jockey on Baby Run was....:rolleyes:

Cost me a load, if he had of done his ****ing job, he would have won at a canter.

Typical, even with the best horse these amateur jockeys **** it all up.
    He has no place riding a horse like that as we seen today.
    16, a ridiculous age, he should be riding out lesser horses especially at Cheltenham.

I really dont give a **** how he was feeling, I was distraught. If he knew what he was playing at nobody would be distraught.
    Dunno I'm not a properly trained jockey.

But I'd say I would have gave as good as your man on Baby Run. In his position steading the horse at that stage was vital, he decided to plow into to fence to look like a hero.

This type of attitude really sickens me to the core.

It's all too easy for a punter to start complaining about the ride a horse got after they've lost money.

When you have sat on a horse, and ridden around a point-to-point or steeplechase course, preferably without falling off, then you can criticise to your heart's content, but until then, grow up. I'd like to see you ride around Cheltenham now, let alone as to when you were 16!

I have respect for all NH riders/jockeys. Ok, some are better than others, andas hard as it is to believe, everyone has an off day, so cut the kid some slack and stop talking through your pocket. If you dislike amateur riders (especially youngsters) so much, then you should have kept your money in your pocket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Really pleased for Emmett Mullins - a good rider, who probably doesn't get the credit/attention he deserves. Hopefully this will give his career a bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

convert wrote: »
    Really pleased for Emmett Mullins - a good rider, who probably doesn't get the credit/attention he deserves. Hopefully this will give his career a bump.

Yeah, if only he'd be ridin Baby Run though... right, DB10?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Thanks lads for the tips all week, up a couple of ton. I'm presuming Ruby won top jock which would really round off the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

mailburner wrote: »

Were there 27 races in total? If Oiseau de Nuit had tipped up and Askthemaster won, would it have been 14-13 to Ireland? That would have been fairly amazing.

With regards to Baby Run, think back to Adrian Maguire on Barton Bank in the 1994 King George. It can happen to the best of jockeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

jive wrote: »
    High Ransom @ 100/1 (3 places)

Nearby @ 66/1 (5 places) 3rd
    Tarkari @ 50/1 (5 places)

Our island @ 28/1 (3 places)

Kauto star @ 10/1 (3 places) - ante post bet 3rd

Jaunty Flight @ 20/1 (3 places)

Hollins @ 28/1 (5 places)
    Barizan @ 25/1 (5 places)
    Astracad @ 33/1 (4 places)

5:15
    Oh crick @ 10/1 (4 places)
    Anquetta @ 9/1 (4 places)

Lucky 15
    1.30 -> Zarkander @ 7/1 (3 places) WIN
    2.05 -> Final Approach @ 12/1 (5 places) WIN
    2.40 -> Kilcrea Kim @ 9/1 (3 places)
    4.00 -> Baby Run @ 7/2 (4 places)

all e/w :D

Wins in the first two made it a profitable day straight from the off. Happy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

convert wrote: »
    This type of attitude really sickens me to the core.

It's all too easy for a punter to start complaining about the ride a horse got after they've lost money.

When you have sat on a horse, and ridden around a point-to-point or steeplechase course, preferably without falling off, then you can criticise to your heart's content, but until then, grow up. I'd like to see you ride around Cheltenham now, let alone as to when you were 16!

I have respect for all NH riders/jockeys. Ok, some are better than others, andas hard as it is to believe, everyone has an off day, so cut the kid some slack and stop talking through your pocket. If you dislike amateur riders (especially youngsters) so much, then you should have kept your money in your pocket.

I do agree with this................with one single notable exception - Roger Loughran on Central Park at Leop a few years back, mistaking the finishing line and punching the air in celebration and getting beat. That was a case when punters myself included had a genuine grevience and i dont mind admitting talking through my pocket in that particular case.

Today was a completely different scenario. Falls and unseats happen. The young lad would have grown up with that horse and known every hair on his hide, his quirks and way of going, and whether he saw a stride at the fence or not. Yet DB10 thinks he is more qualified to comment on how to ride the horse :pac::pac::pac:

DB10 - stick to backing favs at Steepledowns and you wont have to deal with this sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

I disagree with one element of Convert's post. You do not need to know how to ride to judge a good ride from a bad one. Its that sort of defence that cause McCoy to boycott RUK after Lydia Hislop questioned his ride on Get Me Out Of Here at the start of the year. Funny how connections seemed to know that he was about to bounce back to form today.

But of course, DB10's attitude is that of the lowest rung of betting office moron. Looking around for approval as he calls the jockey all sorts of names. Of course, he knew who was riding the jockey before he bet. The type that would have been shouting at the TV for a leader to fall/break its leg if his horse was in second. I bet on Baby Run and to be honest, Im happier he unseated now, knowing it caused DB10 so much grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

He has no place riding a horse like that as we seen today.
    16, a ridiculous age, he should be riding out lesser horses especially at Cheltenham.

I really dont give a **** how he was feeling, I was distraught. If he knew what he was playing at nobody would be distraught.
    When you have a bet its up to you to take the jockey into consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm down a small bit for the whole festival but I wasn't really following any tips from you lot. I definitely will next year though :D

It has been a very enjoyable few days.

I don't really bet on horses apart from at Cheltenham, so until next year, take care all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Quick question lads. Not in the know really. Denman 8/1 4 euro e/w How much back.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

I've learnt my lesson celebrating too early today...and a harsh one it was. Had a treble of Final Approach, Bobs Worth and Baby Run which would have netted a cool 5k...ran out of the room with 2 to go celebrating Baby Runs impending win...well to say my heart sank when I came back in is putting it mildly :(

Retrospectively had a great week though as up nearly 800 bucks. Big earners Hurricane Fly, Big Bucks, Albertas Run and of course Long Run.

Absolutely wonderful festival for the Irish...we've been done very proud!

You should get a quarter the odds plus your stake back. So 4 X 2 + 4 = 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

GymJim wrote: »
    I've learnt my lesson celebrating too early today...and a harsh one it was. Had a treble of Final Approach, Bobs Worth and Baby Run which would have netted a cool 5k...ran out of the room with 2 to go celebrating Baby Runs impending win...well to say my heart sank when I came back in is putting it mildly :(

Retrospectively had a great week though as up nearly 800 bucks. Big earners Hurricane Fly, Big Bucks, Albertas Run and of course Long Run.

Absolutely wonderful festival for the Irish...we've been done very proud!
    Unlucky. How much du put on it. 40??

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

closeline wrote: »
    Unlucky. How much du put on it. 40??

50! Still as I said though very good week overall

Advertisement