Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket World Cup- Ireland Vs. South Africa. See Mod Warning in post 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

thats 7 down :( 166 to go maybe a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

John mac wrote: »
    thats 7 down :( 166 to go maybe a long shot.

With Steyn and Morkel still to bowl 9 more overs I'd say Kilkenny have a better chance of winning the football All Ireland.

Ah well, I think we were always going to get a hiding off someone, unfortunately it is today. On to the Netherlands game and finish on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

I think we can be proud that no team has really got on top of us until today. I really hope we can pick ourselves up and get the win against the Dutch. We deserve to finish on a high, but I suspect there will be a lot of tired bodies out there by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Trents wicket....He expected a SA spinner (who isn't Tahir) to actually spin the ball.

Critical error there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I daresay we can forget about that ICC full membership now after this hiding, and especially if we fail to beat holland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

Alright, so long lads - see you at next world cup. Enjoy the a win with the last matc against NL.

spiralism wrote: »
    I daresay we can forget about that ICC full membership now after this hiding, and especially if we fail to beat holland...

Ok.
    First, Full membership is a long way off and would still have remained so had we reached the final. Some wise and well informed fans here postulate that it may never happen and that is regardless of this tournament.

Second, the situation is not as bad as you make out. We are getting smacked a bit by, to my mind, the best team in the competition. We were bowling very well untill a frankly inspiring innings from JP Duminy took the game away. We haven't batted well, but the SA attack is good and there was a lot of pressure on. Other than this game we have been very competitive which is a big improvement on 2007.

Plus we may still win 2 matches which is a big deal. The ICC knows we have beaten a lot Bangladesh recently. That team have done Cricket Ireland and themselves nothing but a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Ok.
    First, Full membership is a long way off and would still have remained so had we reached the final. Some wise and well informed fans here postulate that it may never happen and that is regardless of this tournament.

Second, the situation is not as bad as you make out. We are getting smacked a bit by, to my mind, the best team in the competition. We were bowling very well untill a frankly inspiring innings from JP Duminy took the game away. We haven't batted well, but the SA attack is good and there was a lot of pressure on. Other than this game we have been very competitive which is a big improvement on 2007.

Plus we may still win 2 matches which is a big deal. The ICC knows we have beaten a lot Bangladesh recently. That team have done Cricket Ireland and themselves nothing but a service.

True. Just hope the ICC sees a bit of sense with us. And true, SA are probably performing the best out of anyone in the world cup so far....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This is very important, we didn't really look like we belonged in the super 8s back then, but with the exception of this game we have looked pretty close to the standard of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

At least Marshall will help strengthen the team, either way I'm still proud of the lads and let's get the win against the Netherlands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ok.

Well said. It's a credit to this team that people are disappointed that we got a bit of a hiding today. In fairness, they have played well at this World Cup... every game featured a period where I thought "We might actually do this". Given that we don't get exposed to this level of competition on a regular basis it is fantastic to have been so competitive in this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Dissapointing performance really. Started so well but just lost our way when we took the fifth wicket.

Really poor with the bat. Nobody stood up at all. Especially dissapointed with Stirling who failed yet again. His form thsi world cup has been brutal and worse than him not making scores has been his shot selection.

yes I know he bats agressively but there was no thought in it at all. Instead of getting the early boundary and then working around the signles it was slog slog slog. Piss poor batting to be honest.

realistically we lost our shot at the QF when we failed to beat the Banglers but disappointing to lose like this today.

Lets go beat the Oranje on Friday and at least exit on a positive note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Interesting discussion in thre studio about the future of Irish cricket and the allocation of funds by the ICC.

David Gower making some good points especially about the future of the game in countries that already play the game as opposed to actively recruit new cricketing nations away from the traditional nations already with a desire to play the game.

D3PO wrote: »

Really poor with the bat. Nobody stood up at all. Especially dissapointed with Stirling who failed yet again. His form thsi world cup has been brutal and worse than him not making scores has been his shot selection.

yes I know he bats agressively but there was no thought in it at all. Instead of getting the early boundary and then working around the signles it was slog slog slog. Piss poor batting to be honest.

This is important and right.
    He was slogging like a madman from the get go.
    He is a talented batsman, but he needs to chill the fudge out and get himself in. I think there might be a certain amount of the occasion getting to him.

Interesting discussion in thre studio about the future of Irish cricket and the allocation of funds by the ICC.

David Gower making some good points especially about the future of the game in countries that already play the game as opposed to actively recruit new cricketing nations away from the traditional nations already with a desire to play the game.

I'd like to hear it, but it sounds like I'd be throwing my Tea at Gower again.

About Stirling, the guy has talent and I think he will be a top batsman but this throwing the sink at every ball is a bit over the top, he was facing Dale Steyn and Morkel, this isn't net bowlers.

I hope he can show something against the Dutch, something we all know he can do...

A 100+ first wicket partnership would do the job right & nice.

And Ed Joyce to score 108 for a new top score ;)...

And a 10 wicket haul for George Dockrill.

Re: stirling, anyone think there is a case for either dropping him/moving him down the order and get Joyce to open instead?

So far Stirling has gone with the score on: 2-19, 1-6, 1-1, 2-62, and 1-23.

While he's clearly a very talented guy an opening partnership should provide some sort of stability to the side and we're not getting that at the moment. He's a good player of spin if memory serves (open to correction here) so maybe he might find more success down the order?

Edit: and yeah I know Porterfield is very responsible here too but I think he is more suited to being an opener.

• Advertisement

We do need that Spark at the top and Joyce can do it, he opens for Sussex in all forms of the game, and he is a classy player, and then have Stirling at three?,

then again it's hard to know where to put Stirling really if he doesn't open but we could look at what Australia did with Watson, they put him in their middle order and over the years he became their opener, well as far as I know they did...

Cremated wrote: »
    We do need that Spark at the top and Joyce can do it, he opens for Sussex in all forms of the game, and he is a classy player, and then have Stirling at three?,

then again it's hard to know where to put Stirling really if he doesn't open but we could look at what Australia did with Watson, they put him in their middle order and over the years he became their opener, well as far as I know they did...

Maybe that is the solution.
    But I think he is an opener by nature, would a shunt down the order teach him some restraint?
    He is aggressive and can clatter the new ball back past a bowler. But he definitely needs to start picking his shots.

Joyce is basically our best batsman.
    Which reminds me, can someone explain the whole "best batsman at 3" thing?
    Is it so when he comes in he theoretically will have a batsman who is in to partner up with?

Is it so when he comes in he theoretically will have a batsman who is in to partner up with?

I think its supposed to be that he can function as an opener and see out the new ball if he comes in at 0/1 but he can also play some good shots if he comes in at 100/1. My source is that book Simon Hughes wrote, Jargonbusting I think it was called.

Morgan used to come in at no.3 and he's really been able to adapt to his new role down the order, I'd like to see Stirling try something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Proud of the lads today, getting one of the best teams in the world to 117-5, is a fantastic feat, even if they ran away after that, even so, keeping S.Africa below 300 is great achievement, when there capable of putting 350 past teams.

Dockrell was top quality today, fantastic stats.

Batting was rather poor, but I'm sure the lads are totally worn out from previous efforts so I won't complain.

About batting order, I'd put Niall O'Brien and Sterling out first to go for a couple of quick runs, if it doesn't work out, Joyce and Porterfield will be able to steady ship from 3 & 4. Just my way on thing, but I wouldn't want Joyce out at no.1, it would be better for him to see the early happenings, and when he comes in he has a gameplan ready to put into action, like O 'Gara, he can come on, and do what's needed to be done whatever the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I always thought it was because the new ball had been seen off and therefore runs would be easier to get.*

*Probably talking out of an orifice that isn't my mouth.

And when Marshall comes in, I presume he will go in at five?,

Stirling can open but as others have said he just needs to learn shot selection, trying to blast Steyn and Morkel at every ball isn't the best option unless your Sehwag,

then I think for the games after the World Cup a order of,

Porterfield,
    Stirling,
    Joyce,
    N'OB,
    Marshall,
    Wilson,
    K'OB/Cusack,
    Mooney,
    Johnston,
    Dockrell,
    Rankin,

will be a strong team, also I think Wilson is starting to show what he can do, some nice shots and was very unlucky against the West Indies...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

the issue with stirling isn't just his shot selection its his temperment, he hits a boundary and gets overconfident
    vs South Africa
    Morkel to Stirling, FOUR, Stirling is going for them at the slightest opportunity, goes for the cut this time to a wide delivery, and gets it just over a leaping point
    Morkel to Stirling, OUT

vs england
    Bresnan to Stirling, FOUR, lovely shot, there has been plenty of bluster and power from Stirling but here was a flick of the wrists. Waiting on a slower ball to turn his wrists over it, send it fine of short fine leg and pick up the boundary
    Bresnan to Stirling, OUT, ah, sad end for Stirling. Banged just back of a length from Bresnan around off stump and Stirling aimed a slug to leg. Only managed a top edge that sailed high and swirled over Pietersen, who watched it carefully at deep square to snaffle the chance. Bresnan the man again for England
    vs West Indies
    Benn to Stirling, FOUR, shot from Stirling. Benn tosses it up generously outside off, Stirling leans out to the pitch and goes uppishly on purpose. He times it well enough to get over mid off and get the boundary. Just over.
    Benn to Stirling, no run, shortens the length this time, Stirling hangs back and defends
    Benn to Stirling, OUT, gone.

vs Bangladesh
    Abdur Razzak to Stirling, FOUR, that's a cracking sweep, he came right across his crease and took the ball from outside leg stump down to backwards square
    Abdur Razzak to Stirling, no run, on the pads but he finds the fielder at square leg
    Abdur Razzak to Stirling, OUT, gone!

He's young and will learn but it isn't good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

John.Icy wrote: »
    Proud of the lads today, getting one of the best teams in the world to 117-5, is a fantastic feat, even if they ran away after that, even so, keeping S.Africa below 300 is great achievement, when there capable of putting 350 past teams.

Dockrell was top quality today, fantastic stats.

Batting was rather poor, but I'm sure the lads are totally worn out from previous efforts so I won't complain.

About batting order, I'd put Niall O'Brien and Sterling out first to go for a couple of quick runs, if it doesn't work out, Joyce and Porterfield will be able to steady ship from 3 & 4. Just my way on thing, but I wouldn't want Joyce out at no.1, it would be better for him to see the early happenings, and when he comes in he has a gameplan ready to put into action, like O 'Gara, he can come on, and do what's needed to be done whatever the case.

I think Stirling and porterfield are the right opening pair the idea being one bat that is steady and gets in to play a long innings and the other the aggresor who keeps the pressure off by keeping a reasonable rate going the problem isn't the order it's stirling not picking the balls to go at andwhich ones to turn the strike over with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Do boards.ie have a cricket team?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Duminy quietly accumulating runs by being very quick, making ones into twos, twos into threes made a difference that perhaps Smith or Kallis wouldn't have got up to.

Batting wise, not much you can do in front of Steyn and Morkel. Only shots I don't get was NOB's charge down the wicket and shot off Kallis (where was he trying to hit it/do with it?) and KOB holing out to long-off when 51-4 had become 92-4 and 'only' 181 was required off 28 overs I think

Advertisement