Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket World Cup- Ireland Vs. South Africa. See Mod Warning in post 18

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭

On Tuesday 15th, Ireland faces a tough task in the form of South Africa in their second last group match. Theoretically Ireland can still qualify, but if we lose this, unfortunately, despite heroic performances by Ireland, our World Cup journey will come to a disappointing, but successful end.

So let the build-up begin.

Does anyone think we can do it?

I do, it will be tough, but I really do believe Ireland have a solid chance at causing an upset. Why? Well we have 6/7 batters who are well capable of getting a good knock against the world’s top teams. Ed Joyce just had a great innings, so I'm sure he'll want to move onwards and upwards. We have Paul Stirling who is probably going to fight tooth and nail for a good knock, after two very early exits in the last two matches. Kevin O'Brien will want to make sure no-one thinks his memorable century was a one off, and he can play that well again. To add to this, we have other great batters that can perform very well. We have a solid bowling line-up, with some great talent in Dockrell and Johnston (please god he makes it) and others. We are well capable of restricting big teams to figures that we’d have a good chance of chasing.

We have to cut out some loose bowling, some costly mistakes in fielding, and we have a fighting chance.

Now, what are your thoughts? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭decies

Nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

the lads will put in a performance they have given every game a crack so hopefully they might pull it out of the bag when its needed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

John.Icy wrote: »
    Ed Joyce just had a great innings,

hang on a minute. Only the other day you were blaming Joyce for Ireland not kicking on against the WEest Indies now your saying it was a great innings.

Talk about a Finna Fail style position flop. :rolleyes:

Can we win ? Yes its 11 v 11 anything can happen. It will take one hell of a performance though.

Arguably SA have the best bowler and batsman in ODI cricket right now with Amla & Steyn. It will take an amazing performance with perhaps a bit of luck to pull off a win but one things for sure the lads will give it a fair rattle.

one thing is for certain we need the openers to put on a decent partnership we have been 2 down for 30 or 40 odd every game this world cup. You cant keep expecting to dig oyourself out of that sort of hole. Hopefully Striling can fire like we all know hes capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Some news on South Africa, '' AB de Villiers: muscle sprain of the left thigh. Not serious but doubtful starter vs Ireland. ''...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Cremated wrote: »
    Some news on South Africa, '' AB de Villiers: muscle sprain of the left thigh. Not serious but doubtful starter vs Ireland. ''...

This is great news. Now if only they would rest Steyn, Morkel, Botha, Amla..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

This is great news. Now if only they would rest Steyn, Morkel, Botha, Amla..............

Not too concerned about Botha. He did play for Malahide a few years ago in the Leinster Senior League.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

randomer wrote: »
    Not too concerned about Botha. He did play for Malahide a few years ago in the Leinster Senior League.

That was before he was banned though wasn't it? I think he's come on a lot since then.
    Well its really just that whenever I see a half decent spinner coming on to bowl to an Irish batsman I break out in a cold sweat :D

'' Injury concerns will definitely keep Imran Tahir out of the match ''...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Smith is due a big score...

[OP, the Cloud skin makes your post unreadable :) ]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

D3PO wrote: »
    hang on a minute. Only the other day you were blaming Joyce for Ireland not kicking on against the WEest Indies now your saying it was a great innings.

After reading back over my posts, I was harsh, but I wasn't meant to come across like that. I think he had a great knock, but I just got frustrated when the run rate was going higher and higher, but both Joyce and Wilson kept hitting a couple of singles, with only some great overs in between, but I can't blame them really, West Indies bowled superbly. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

dfx- wrote: »
    Smith is due a big score...

[OP, the Cloud skin makes your post unreadable :) ]

Hopefully that Irish young one that he's romancing at the moment will distract him sufficiently that he gets out first ball.

And yes I did get that news from the Evening Herald :o

So when can we expect him to complete his four year stay in Ireland so he can come play for Ireland ;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

depends on which SA side shows up... if we get the one that played india we can forget it but if we get the performance they put in against england i'd say we have a fine chance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Against England it was a bowling track, so both teams made such a low score. I dont think SA will slip up. AB De will score a big one and Steyn and Morkel will be too hard to handle. Two of the best bowlers in the world cricket today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

streams?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

streams?

No stream requests or posts on this thread please - there is a sticky for that purpose at the top of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Yeah, looking forward to this one. I think the boys will be disappointed they've only got one victory at this stage (albeit vs the old enemy!) and will be anxious to put in a strong performance. Hope Trent is back, we miss his bowling. We were doing well vs India until he got injured. I want to see more chicken dance! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Would love Ireland to pull a surprise here, but really can't see it happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

PDN wrote: »
    Would love Ireland to pull a surprise here, but really can't see it happening at all.

Best thing about this WC for me is that there is some higher expectation that Ireland can beat these teams.

Should have one or two more wickets out by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Two poor drops so far and one great catch, little erratic lads

And a great direct hit to make it 52-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

They are off to a good start with RR around 6 despite being 2 down. But getting them 2 down is an achievement in itself, but hard to see Ireland winning this at the end of the day - but I hope I am wrong and I hope Ireland wins. Best of luck everyone!

Saying game may not end today due to rain. Only raining lightly now.

Van Wyk bowled by Dockrell. Having a great overs bowling. 84-3

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

OUT! Clattered! Terrific delivery, full in length on off, probably an arm ball skidding on with the angle after pitching, Morne attempts to cut it but misses and the ball goes on to disturb the wooden framework. The drop chances didn't cost much but a fluent 42 from Morne van Wyk nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

4 from the last 2 overs with 1 wicket in the power play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Stirling and Dockrell (who I felt were under used against WI) are pulling it back
    6 overs for 16 runs between them so far

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Yeah happy to see run rate drop below 5 per over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

For anyone stuck in Work without TV you can listen to it Live audio ball by ball cricket commentary with a slightly entertaining approach to the game!

Interview with someone from Cricket Ireland as well during the break in Innings - http://testmatchsofa.com/

Come on Ireland!! 1 or 2 more wickets here and we're right in this game...

Advertisement