Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting, deer, fox, boar & bear with air rifle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not that unusual, the Girandoni was 0.51 calibre...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

On a historical aside.
    The Girandoni was the only air rifle ever used in combat.It was used against Napoleone's French army at the battle of Austerlitz in Austria,and partially almost cost Bony the battle.
    So scared were the French army by this weapon,that it was an immediate death sentence for anyone to be caught using,concealing or making such a gun.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr.Woodcock

Thats some air gun but what kind of range would it give?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

there are some youtube clips of lads hunting with those large calibre airrifles some of which are good but more are to my mind bordering on the unethical http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmds-xNmE1k
    make up your own mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88egSlaRM8s&feature=related

Better one here, 100 yards range on some sort of sheep.Pellet moves at 825fps.The gun looks ungainly IMO,and heavier than a normal cartridge job. Still,if it cranks your crank...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Thats some air gun but what kind of range would it give?
    The girandoni? About 150 yards. Lewis and Clark were reportedly using one (or something very similar) to hunt bear and moose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

just not the right tool for that sort of hunting in my opinion

ormondprop wrote: »
    just not the right tool for that sort of hunting in my opinion
    Today, we have better tools for the job, so we should obviously use those, yes. Back then though, they were competing with muskets and very early rifles - Lewis and Clark were mostly using muskets and early shotguns for their expedition - flintlocks I think, though I might be wrong. So back in their day, these were suitable tools for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

sorry sparks i should have wrote that better, i was talking about the videos on youtube of them hunting with the .308 and .50 airrifles

Sparks wrote: »
    Today, we have better tools for the job, so we should obviously use those, yes. Back then though, they were competing with muskets and very early rifles - Lewis and Clark were mostly using muskets and early shotguns for their expedition - flintlocks I think, though I might be wrong. So back in their day, these were suitable tools for the job.

They were using one all right,it wasnt a Giradoni though.It was more a propaganda tool to impress on the Indians[who were in some cases already equipped with the thunder stick of the white man by traders] the superiority of the white man who could make guns that made no noise.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

some serious air rifles alrite!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mergin thread with similar thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Any idea what they weigh in at?

My Diana RWS's are heavy and they are only .22 and .17. I cannot imagine what these weigh - 15lbs?

Advertisement