Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a tsunami hit Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I saw a documentary that says that in years and years time another fault line will develop on the eastern shore of the US, so I guess we could get a tsunami from that.
    But isnt there a small fault that runs along the English channel?

Thats scary. When is that going to happen. any estimates?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes we could, I saw a documentary on this once. There are very unstable volcanoes on the Canaries, there's one volcanous mountain that could slide into the sea if it errupts and cause a tsunami that could wipe out the east coast of the USA 15 miles inland, we would get the rebound

Isn't that the one that would supposedly wipe out Cork if it hit Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Isn't that the one that would supposedly wipe out Cork if it hit Ireland?

Yeah, it could cause thousands of Euro worth of damage.

So we have 3 reasons how a possible tsunami could hit ireland
    1) another lisbon 1755 earthquake
    2) a mountain spitting in the canaries and if/when the nearby volcano erupts it could push the mountain into the sea
    3) a new fault line developing on the east coast of the US, (iceland would be north of this fault line)

is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

ilovesleep wrote: »
    3) a new fault line developing on the east coast of the US, (iceland would be north of this fault line)

I assume Iceland would be west of this fault line (if it went N-S).

Ive visited Iceland twice and you can actually walk where the Mid atlantic ridge "comes ashore" and is pushing the two plates west and east. An amazing site. You can argue then that half of Iceland is in America and half in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I was thinking about this in my usual idle ah-well-now way earlier today (in between automatic signs of the cross and "amens") and I figure that if a tsunami was triggered in the Atlantic somewhere, the continental shelf would wear it out as it approached Ireland and by the time it got here it'd be well and truly knackered. So there'd be a bit of damage but nothing on the scale of what Japan's seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

You can argue then that half of Iceland is in America and half in Europe.

I'm pretty sure Greenland and Canada don't consider themselves "America"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

2) a mountain spitting in the canaries and if/when the nearby volcano erupts it could push the mountain into the sea

is that correct?

Option 1 is the only likelihood in the next couple of millennia. A fault line would take an almost unimaginable length of time to form.

It's not gonna happen lads. We will never experience anything like that. Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I'm pretty sure Greenland and Canada don't considered themselves "America"

Er, Yes, I do!

I'm pretty sure Greenland and Canada don't consider themselves "America"

They probably don't consider themselves the "USA", maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Er, Yes, I do!
    davyjose wrote: »
    They probably don't consider themselves the "USA", maybe?

Alright alright, they're in The America's or North America! I always relate just "America" to the US :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Canary islands, Norway and of course the runaway release of methane hydrates by global warming or any large meteroite landing in the Atlantic

Could you explain the runaway release of methane hydrates? I looked up methane hydrates and understand that, but can't find anything about them causing tsunamis???

:confused:

Option 1 is the only likelihood in the next couple of millennia. A fault line would take an almost unimaginable length of time to form.

It's not gonna happen lads. We will never experience anything like that. Calm down.

I know it probably won't happen in our lifetime. I suppose it wouldn't hurt putting a plan in place all the same for such a disaster. Look where ignorance on behalf of our government got us - deep up sh1ts creek in dept.

If a comet was to hit the altantic ocean wouldn't that cause a tsunami?

Never having babies after learning this info. Im going to die a lonely old cailleach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Could you explain the runaway release of methane hydrates? I looked up methane hydrates and understand that, but can't find anything about them causing tsunamis???

:confused:
    It's a runaway effect, once the ones at top are released there is less pressure on the deposits lower down - worst case the whole seabed bubbles over and you get land slides

Canary islands, Norway and of course the runaway release of methane hydrates by global warming or any large meteroite landing in the Atlantic

How would norway cause a tsunami

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is that correct?
    The underwater landslides off Norway a few thousand years ago which reached 50Km inland in Scotland would give for concern too. And the ones that lifted rocks onto the Aran Islands and a meteroite landing in the Atlantic.

And the Shell gas field explodering when the Shell to sea saboteurs hijack a rig :pac:

or if there is an accident with one of the many Nuclear subs in the Irish Sea.

The proposed underwater gas storage in Dublin Bay.

The underwater landslides off Norway a few thousand years ago which reached 50Km inland in Scotland would give for concern too. And the ones that lifted rocks onto the Aran Islands and a meteroite landing in the Atlantic.

And the Shell gas field explodering when the Shell to sea saboteurs hijack a rig :pac:

or if there is an accident with one of the many Nuclear subs in the Irish Sea.

The proposed underwater gas storage in Dublin Bay.

more reasons for possible tsunamis to hit ireland. And no disaster plan except for to quote bonyarsebogman - iodine tablets and cheese. Well aren't we the lucky bastards.

I know it probably won't happen in our lifetime. I suppose it wouldn't hurt putting a plan in place all the same for such a disaster. Look where ignorance on behalf of our government got us - deep up sh1ts creek in dept.

If a comet was to hit the altantic ocean wouldn't that cause a tsunami?

Never having babies after learning this info. Im going to die a lonely old cailleach.

TBH, you're overreacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

galwayrush wrote: »
    Obviously the Mayans made allowances for all the historical changes that occured in our calenders.:D

One thing they didnt foresee was their own demise, so for that matter I cannot take their predictions seriously.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

more reasons for possible tsunamis to hit ireland. And no disaster plan except for to quote bonyarsebogman

I missed that pamphlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

TBH, you're overreacting.

you take things too literal and dont get sarcasm at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

Geologists are monitoring the Cumbre Vieja volcano in La Palma in the Canary Islands after scientists found a threat of a large chunk of the volcano collapsing into the sea, kicking off a mega tsunami. Such an occurrence could send waves of up to 15 metres high to Ireland in about six hours.
    Furthermore, a landslide risk exists off our own western seaboard along the edge of our continental shelf, McConnell said.
    With the new system, Irish authorities would have four hours’ notice if an earthquake occurred in Portugal again and five hours if one struck the Caribbean. Tsunami travel at about the same speed as a 747 aircraft, according to Blake.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7127829.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Thats scary. When is that going to happen. any estimates?

Not anytime soon. Nothing to be scared about :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Can anyone explain to me why we need to do a half assed job of monitoring ourselves?
    We could get better information just as quick from countries that actually have a need to monitor seismic activity.

The wonders of t'internet and telephones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

I just don't know where the safest place to live is anymore.

Can anyone explain to me why we need to do a half assed job of monitoring ourselves?
    We could get better information just as quick from countries that actually have a need to monitor seismic activity.

The wonders of t'internet and telephones...

FF were in power for the past 13 to 14 years and they only ever cared about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Penfailed

FF were in power for the past 13 to 14 years and they only ever cared about themselves.

Eh?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

It's a runaway effect, once the ones at top are released there is less pressure on the deposits lower down - worst case the whole seabed bubbles over and you get land slides

.... and the polar bears will drown and the sky falls and the big bad wolf will kill all of the little ikkle piggies and .... and then you will wake up and change the sheets... again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    I live and work 120 meters of sealevel according to gps and google earth

bring it on :D

I thought about that before, screw everybody else, I'm out of the danger zone. But rather than just hang around waiting to die, a lot of people will be able to mobilize, and guess where they are going? Yep, ding dong. "Whoever could be at the door at this hour??"

Taking couchsurfing to a whole new level.

• Advertisement

jocmilt wrote: »
    .... and the polar bears will drown and the sky falls and the big bad wolf will kill all of the little ikkle piggies and .... and then you will wake up and change the sheets... again!
    We've had events in the past that have caused step changes in climate. And these events are not reversable in the short term.

Most of the events I've listed have happened in the past, and we aren't doing anything to prevent them happening again.

This novel is a bit far fetched, but not impossible.
    http://www.suttonelms.org.uk/JFOLLETT.HTML
    ICE....1986
    Thousands of square miles of ice have broken off from the Southern Continent and are drifting towards New York. Can the collision be averted?

Advertisement