Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a tsunami hit Ireland?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Serious question. Although no big earthquakes are ever likely to hit Ireland the mid Atlantic ridge is underneath the Atlantic Ocean and is visible onland in Iceland. This moves quite a bit. What are the chances of an earthquake here and a resulting tsunami in Ireland like we saw in Japan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Not really. Full scale stupidity could, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Sure it'd only be the west coast that would get any damage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sure it'd only be the west coast that would get any damage :D

Don't forget the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

22/12/2012....

That is all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Serious question. Although no big earthquakes are ever likely to hit Ireland the mid Atlantic ridge is underneath the Atlantic Ocean and is visible onland in Iceland. This moves quite a bit. What are the chances of an earthquake here and a resulting tsunami in Ireland like we saw in Japan?

they are pulling away from each other unlike the ones near Japan which are being compressed together.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLozvvn1iKX8N8KAv4l36YVk2NguIYqCXq9GL1DS25itbOADDf&t=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

OP, everything is a possibility but in the case of Ireland, due to geological and weather reasons - for the present - its not likely.

But nature is a fickle thing so we should never say never...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I live and work 120 meters of sealevel according to gps and google earth

bring it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Penfailed

As they are moving apart, it is more likely to cause volcanoes, rather than earthquakes.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Not only could it happen it did happen, twice!!

In 1755 and 1761.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Apparently we did get a tsunami or the ends of one/two tsunamis in 1755 and 1761. I dont know how true this is but i'm going to look into it.

edit - Skilliser got in before me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

There was a thread on this already. Ireland has been hit with a Tsunami and will again. Maybe not in our lifetime but it will get hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Of course.

On November 1st, 1755, a series of tsunamis lasting more than seven hours tore at the south west coast of Ireland, wrecking fishing boats around Kinsale and even damaging coastal buildings as far north as Galway Bay. Indeed, findings from the recent Irish National Seabed Survey (INSS), undertaken by the Marine Institute in partnership with the Geological Survey of Ireland and others, has already revealed a very substantial rockslide in the Atlantic Deeps which would have caused an enormous tsunami in bygone years, the effects of which are clearly visible on the coastlines of Northwest Ireland and Scotland. In more recent times, the condition of the Cumbre Vieja volcano near La Palma in the Azores area is giving scientists cause for concern.

http://www.marine.ie/home/aboutus/newsroom/pressreleases/PressreleaseMajorConferencetoDiscussTsunamiWarningSystems.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes we could, I saw a documentary on this once. There are very unstable volcanoes on the Canaries, there's one volcanous mountain that could slide into the sea if it errupts and cause a tsunami that could wipe out the east coast of the USA 15 miles inland, we would get the rebound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Accrding to the article the work would be finished by the end of 2010. I wonder was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I wonder if a powerful volcano erupting underwater would cause one....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,836 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Biggins wrote: »
    OP, everything is a possibility but in the case of Ireland, due to geological and weather reasons - for the present - its not likely.

But nature is a fickle thing so we should never say never...

But Justin Beiber can....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Pauleta wrote: »
    There was a thread on this already.

Yes indeed - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056205892

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

listermint wrote: »
    But Justin Beiber can....
    Irritating, ill mannered little schite he is... thats all I have to say about him...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pauleta wrote: »
    There was a thread on this already. Ireland has been hit with a Tsunami and will again. Maybe not in our lifetime but it will get hit.
    Canary islands, Norway and of course the runaway release of methane hydrates by global warming or any large meteroite landing in the Atlantic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Canary islands, Norway and of course the runaway release of methane hydrates by global warming or any large meteroite landing in the Atlantic

Annoyingly we'd have more chance of stopping a meteor hitting earth than volcanic slippage on the Azores.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

2 weeks of heavy rain is all we need to close this country down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

galwayrush wrote: »
    2 weeks of heavy rain is all we need to close this country down.
    Too right. It's a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Naikon wrote: »
    Don't forget the pale.

may be they should rebuild that big wall around the pale so when one does hit, we wont get wet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Yeah. A tsunami of banking debt.

/derail thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I saw a documentary that says that in years and years time another fault line will develop on the eastern shore of the US, so I guess we could get a tsunami from that.
    But isnt there a small fault that runs along the English channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

22/12/2012....

That is all

think you mean the 21st...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Considering we cant cope with a little snow and ice, if a tsunami strikes we would be well and truely bent over and....

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Maybe if Ian Pailsey falls out of bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

22/12/2012....

That is all

Obviously the Mayans made allowances for all the historical changes that occured in our calenders.:D

Advertisement