Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you've found about the ageing process

Options
  • 11-03-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello ladies. Huge fan of this forum have always been a lurker not a poster although most of my family are so going unregistered here. I was having a chat today with some girlfriends about the ups and downs of the ageing process. At the ripe old age of 36 I have wisdom, knowledge and experience I wouldn't trade for the world. On the flip side while wearing a mini dress last weekend I had to put up with some nasty comments about being a bit old for that sort of thing. I'm slim and always keep myself wear but hate having restrictions on what I can wear also my single girlfriends find the single scene hell at our age. I know I'm very lucky, I have a wonderful husband and career i'm very happy with. A fabulous family and circle of friends with an active social life. For all this I'm extremely thankful to be at this point but the odd day fading looks or idealistic dreams of youth cross my mind. I would love to hear your thoughts....................................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If you've the body for something, wear it - pay no attention to nasty comments from people who are bitter that they don't have the body, or who are just kids and think they're somehow immune from ageing.

Defo women who commented anyway, gentlemen wouldn't find a lady in her 30s in a minidress worthy of negative thought. 36 is far from old :) Me thinks the folks who commented are a tad jealous of your figure and or your confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I don't think 36 is to old to wear a mini! if you have it flaunt it!

I've learned not to take life too serious...to lighten up and have a laugh....it could be over tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've learned that no matter what, you can't fight your dna. If your Mum had facial hair, chances are you will too! :p

Also, most people can't see the things you obsess about yourself (like the afforementioned facial hair!!)

I'm slowly learning that you are who you are- you can't change who that it, you just need to learn to be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My mam is 60 and wears mini dresses if she's going out or to a party- not mini mini, but mid thigh height! She also wears skinny jeans and leather jackets. Now, she does look young for her age, and acts more like a 21 year old than 60 year old, so I think the way she dresses is very "her" anyway! I love that she wears what she likes and doesn't feel that any of the stuff is too young for her! (Now- imo there is a line where it's mutton dressed as lamb, but that's mostly just with the proper slutty stuff i think!)
    She's always had a fab figure anyway, and her skinny jeans and mini dresses look way better on her than mine prob do on me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi

A good thread. Like you Op I like the way my mind is maturing and richer from life experience but on the physical side I am noticing a number of things. I am approaching 40 (about four months left of my 30s). I have noticed that I have more facial hair, such as the dreaded moustache, now these get dealt with but I hate it. I am losing hair in other places (not my head). My cycle is changing slightly. I can see very faint lines developing, my hair is seriously grey but I have been since 14 so I am used to that one. I have also noticed that things are starting to sag. I have always felt lucky enough to have a shapely and tight bum, it is beginning to droop. I think that is it but it is part and parcel of life unless one chooses the cosmetic surgery route and I can't stomach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bangra bangra

Two words spring immediately to mind... DEMI.MOORE. I'm 39, when I was around 30 a good friend said to me "You know you won't get away with long hair for much longer".. so girls, yes that's right, I grew it longer..!!
    All I can say is that I'm a much stronger person the older I get, I've learnt more about myself, others and the world in the last 9 years than I ever dreamed. I exercise more and have a better body now than I had when I was 25. (Modesty personified!!) I've accomplished things that I never thought I would. I think up to the age of 30, even though I was married with a good career, I just didn't get it, you know..? I would have no problem dressing the way I feel like on a particular day, I dress for me, I wear what I like, I know what suits me, it's only taken 20 years!!!. The negativity about a womans age will never come from men, they simply don't see age in the critical way women do. Most negative comments will come from some fat wagon you went to school with who's let herself go and lives in a greasy tracksuit, and quite honestly who cares about negative people like them? I would have thought that the dating scene would be ok as a confident 30something woman tho?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Demi Moore? Hardly an accurate representation. She's the Heidi Montag of the forty-something generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

36 certainly isn't old! Don't throw out the minis yet! My mum still has the legs for them and she's in her 50s! I think the worst thing is when you see the complete opposite: when women look very well for their ages but try to 'dress their age' and end up looking like complete grannies when they don't have to! I always think of my secondary school teachers who seemed to give up on themselves when they reached 40, all unflattering short haircuts, Deirdre from Coranation St glasses, pleated skirts down to their calves and boxy blouses. Look at Helen Mirren, she puts women half her age to shame and I don't think she's had very much work done (if any!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

From a male perspective, if you have the figure wear as little as possible. Twenty year olds do not have a monopoly on sexy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    From a male perspective, if you have the figure wear as little as possible. Twenty year olds do not have a monopoly on sexy.

Eek! Neither does "wearing as little as possible" have the monopoly on sexy! Dress appropriately to suit your figure, definitely don't need to be half naked to be sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

That 40 year olds think its more acceptable to chase me because im 30 (in fact they are still chasing 24 year olds).

Im sorry but they might feel 30....I still feel 20...so ok 20 might be a bit too young to date. Certainly not too young to snog. Bye bye 40 year olds...look me up when Im 50 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Demi Moore? Hardly an accurate representation. She's the Heidi Montag of the forty-something generation.

Demi Moore is certainly not your average woman.

1. She is very beautiful.

2. She spent a fortune on cosmetic procedures to reverse the signs of aging (face and body). She most likely has personal trainers, personal chefs, regular massages, facials, laser treatments etc. Any average, non-billionaire woman can't do all this!

mood wrote: »
    2. She spent a fortune on cosmetic procedures to reverse the signs of aging (face and body). She most likely has personal trainers, personal chefs, regular massages, facials, laser treatments etc. Any average, non-billionaire woman can't do all this!

That's what I mean! :)

That 40 year olds think its more acceptable to chase me because im 30 (in fact they are still chasing 24 year olds).

Im sorry but they might feel 30....I still feel 20...so ok 20 might be a bit too young to date. Certainly not too young to snog. Bye bye 40 year olds...look me up when Im 50 ;)

Huh? :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Fashion wise, I've found that I just don't like high heels. The Universe made me small, I've accepted that fact so I'm not shoving my feet into instruments of torture just to gain a few inches in height. I dress to suit my body shape and not to follow fashion.

Emotionally and spiritually, I like myself more today than I did when I was 20. I've got wonderful people in my life who love me and life is very good now.

maple wrote: »
    Fashion wise, I've found that I just don't like high heels. The Universe made me small, I've accepted that fact so I'm not shoving my feet into instruments of torture just to gain a few inches in height. I dress to suit my body shape and not to follow fashion.

Exactly how I feel. I gave up on high heels in my early 20s. I'm only 5'3" and I'm fine with that. I don't see why I should spend nights out in pain when I should be enjoying myself. Mid to low heels will do fine And boyfriends get mighty pissed off at their mots complaining about their sore feet all night and I don't blame them!

I'm only 5ft 4" but i just couldn't give up on my heels I LOVE EM!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Now that I'm fast approaching 38, I haven't half the hang ups or insecurities I had in my 20s, thank God. I have learned that its quality not quantity of friends that matters, and refuse to be around people that bring me down. I will wear what I like thanks very much, skinny jeans and Converse aren't just for teenagers:D. I no longer give a s**t what people think about me, take me as I am. And yeah I'm an altogether happier person these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Malari wrote: »
    Eek! Neither does "wearing as little as possible" have the monopoly on sexy! Dress appropriately to suit your figure, definitely don't need to be half naked to be sexy.
    We're coming from different places.

• Advertisement

I'd actually hate to be in my early twenties again...i do feel you grow more comfortable in your own skin by the time you reach your thirties!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

tan11ie wrote: »
    I'd actually hate to be in my early twenties again...i do feel you grow more comfortable in your own skin by the time you reach your thirties!

+1:D

And I don't feel I have to drink if I don't feel like it, and don't feel like a dry sh**e for not drinking. Besides my guts can't take much alcohol anymore. On the plus side, no more manky hangovers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Well, don't get me wrong, I think women can be extremely sexy naked. But I think you can get a lot of distance out of dressing well and to what suits your figure. Even an older woman with a great figure is going to look 10 times better with a stylish, sexy, well-fitting outfit than wearing a skimpy mini skirt and boob tube that a 20 year old would look hot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

73Cat wrote: »
    +1:D

And I don't feel I have to drink if I don't feel like it, and don't feel like a dry sh**e for not drinking. Besides my guts can't take much alcohol anymore. On the plus side, no more manky hangovers:)

Learning the words "No, I'm not drinking tonight" has been one of my biggest achievements so far. That, and appreciating a night in with friends and a few glasses of red wins hands down over going to a club and getting ratarsed!

(Sometimes ratarsed at home is ok too....;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

you dont need to wear as little as poss to look sexy no matter what the age
    i remember from the movie monster in law where lopez says a dress should fit her not the other way round - or something like that. and it stuck with me. so many times when i was younger id repeatedly try on a dress in the hopes it wouldnt look so bad. then i realised the dress was worng for my shape and im pretty sure the designers idea of how the dress should look and my idea of how it should look on me - vary!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

You may not mean it but you're coming across as sleazy.

Please dial it back a little.

Maple

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bangra bangra

That's what I mean! :)

Ah come on girls, sure she's totally natural, she said it herself!!!!:D

Ah come on girls, sure she's totally natural, she said it herself!!!!:D

:D

She has the knees of a middle aged lady. Nothing wrong with that at all, it just looks strange considering everything else is all stretched and pinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

:D

She has the knees of a middle aged lady. Nothing wrong with that at all, it just looks strange considering everything else is all stretched and pinned.

Huh...Iv never googles someones knees before:D

Youre dead right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

cor - possible knee-lift on demi though! thats a new one to me.

Advertisement