Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Good old Elara, they saw the cashback was extended so they bumped the price of the Microserver.

It was €269 at the weekend so now they bumped it to €277 and promote it with a banner on their site for the 120 cashback offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jurisprudence

Sorry for bugging everyone but does anyone know if these will work in the Microserver. I'm not used to DDR3 Ram at all.

http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/272

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Sorry for bugging everyone but does anyone know if these will work in the Microserver. I'm not used to DDR3 Ram at all.

I don't know for sure but they look very tall so there might not be enough room inside. I know that some others who have put in RAM with heatsinks couldn't fit them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not EEC registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Just took the plunge on one of these also! Should be a great replacement for my DNS-323.

I'd like to run a setup similar to this fella from AVForums: LINK

I hope to have:
    - 3 of these 2TB drives: LINK
    - 2 1.5TB drives from my existing NAS
    - this 8GB of RAM from Crucial: LINK
    - this IcyBox 5.25 Rack for the optical drive: LINK
    - 64GB SSD drive

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good 64GB SSD? It's the missing piece to my puzzle! :)

Thanks and kudos to the OP for starting this thread!

• Advertisement

Not EEC registered.

Am I mistaken in thinking if I remove the existing 1GB ECC registered module I should be able to use the 2x 4gb Geil Non-Ecc modules above. If using all Non-ECC is ok are the above chips, in terms of specs, usable in the Microserver. Thanks for any help as I cant install WHS 2011 without 2gb and the other Microserver has found a new home so cant access its 1GB to do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thanks for any help as I cant install WHS 2011 without 2gb and the other Microserver has found a new home so cant access its 1GB to do it.
    It REQUIRES 2GB of RAM? :eek:

Don't mean to start a big Windows vs Linux debate, but you should seriously look into running Linux on it. You'd be doing well to be using 512MB of RAM. Samba allows seamless filesharing with Windows clients on the network.

Jonathan wrote: »
    It REQUIRES 2GB of RAM? :eek:

Don't mean to start a big Windows vs Linux debate, but you should seriously look into running Linux on it. You'd be doing well to be using 512MB of RAM. Samba allows seamless filesharing with Windows clients on the network.

In a moment of pure MS-ness it can run on 1GB but won't install unless you have 2GB, multi-facepalm. I'm already running an Acer H340 with Whs 1 as primary. Want Whs 2011 for Mac backups and may move all over if, and only if, it matures but not going down the Linux route as I just don't have the time to play with it. Any idea on the ram specs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Jonathan wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to be using 512MB of RAM.

Totally agree here. Putting 8 gigs of ram into an atom server is like putting a 800l petrol tank into your car to drive the couple of miles to work.

I have freenas running happily here with 128MB of ram on an old geode board does print server, file server, audio and video streaming. Safe to say you'll be just fine with 1G of ram.

Sorry but this cant become yet another Linux v Microsoft thread. I appreciate everyone has their favourites/opinion and appreciate the advice but this server is sold platform absent, its a hardware bargain alert (and it really is:). This is NOT an Atom based box, its an AMD Neo dual core. WHS 2011 does run on 1gb as mentioned but need 2gb to install, oddly. Linux just doesnt suit the purposes versus management time overhead scenario I am in a position to offer the project. Anyone any idea of the ram specs above suitability. If not I'll just risk it and report back with results and in the process maybe find another bargain alert.

For others info these boxes will run on Non-Ecc ram as stated in the comments section of the linked article so if anyone has spare Non-ECC your options are open to limit costs

http://www.techhead.co.uk/new-hp-proliant-microserver-a-decent-vsphere-lab-server-candidate

PS: Sorry if the above sounds snappy but you all know in Internet land this linux/MS thing starts with a spark and ends up burning down the building in no time:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

paddyp wrote: »
    Totally agree here. Putting 8 gigs of ram into an atom server is like putting a 800l petrol tank into your car to drive the couple of miles to work.

I have freenas running happily here with 128MB of ram on an old geode board does print server, file server, audio and video streaming. Safe to say you'll be just fine with 1G of ram.

For various reasons I have got 8Gb in mine. The latest version of Freenas(8) suggests 4gb ram minimum if you are running with a ZFS filesystem if I remember rightly. I think this is to optimise for deduplication of files but as I'm largely ignorant of the internal workings of ZFS and Freenas this is just a guess. Since it was cheap enough to do I thought why not.

The other 4gb is currently floating allocated to a Windows Server 2008 install (for dev work mainly) I vary it as needed for bringing up Linux images or whatever I'm playing with currently. So while not ideal processor wise its not entirely insane to put 8gb in it. I had a more powerful server taking up space and power but this does the job nicely in a nice small box

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pegasus425

I noticed on the HP claim form terms & conditions that you need to supply a reseller invoice with the HP Part Number displayed on the invoice.

On the Elara Invoice, the HP Part Number is not printed (though it is on the delivery docket).

Does this make a difference? What did anyone that purhcased from Elara do? Did HP accept the invoice without the HP Part Number printed? Or can you just include the delivery docket also?

Many Thanks.

You should receive a PDF from them which has the part number on it.
    Just checked mine and it had the part number on it.

example of what's on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

@ pegasus425 - If you have any issues with it not being displayed just lets accounts@ know and they can have the invoice ammended for you.

Thanks. But the PDF Invoice I received from them "Cash Invoice" does not list the part number at all.

Suppose I can email accounts to ask for a revised invoice showing the part number.

Elara: Kin wrote: »
    @ pegasus425 - If you have any issues with it not being displayed just lets accounts@ know and they can have the invoice ammended for you.

Cheers. Had just posted a message - then saw your reply.

Many Thanks. Will do.

Elara: Kin wrote: »

Wow! Pretty amazing customer service. Revised invoice received at 7:50pm.

Many Thanks Elara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

machalla wrote: »
    For various reasons I have got 8Gb in mine. The latest version of Freenas(8) suggests 4gb ram minimum if you are running with a ZFS filesystem if I remember rightly. I think this is to optimise for deduplication of files but as I'm largely ignorant of the internal workings of ZFS and Freenas this is just a guess. Since it was cheap enough to do I thought why not.

The other 4gb is currently floating allocated to a Windows Server 2008 install (for dev work mainly) I vary it as needed for bringing up Linux images or whatever I'm playing with currently. So while not ideal processor wise its not entirely insane to put 8gb in it. I had a more powerful server taking up space and power but this does the job nicely in a nice small box

I suppose I still cling onto the tight days when all I could afford was 2mb of RAM because of an earthquake in Taiwan and had to figure out how to make the most of it :) Also I did a fair amount of microcontroller programming where I had 2k of ROM, 128 bytes of RAM and 256 bytes of FLASH so you learn to think about things in minimal terms.

ZFS doesn't make sense to me versus a raid mirror [edit] on a low power server [/edit] unless you have 6 or more drives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

pegasus425 wrote: »
    I noticed on the HP claim form terms & conditions that you need to supply a reseller invoice with the HP Part Number displayed on the invoice.

On the Elara Invoice, the HP Part Number is not printed (though it is on the delivery docket).

Does this make a difference? What did anyone that purhcased from Elara do? Did HP accept the invoice without the HP Part Number printed? Or can you just include the delivery docket also?

Many Thanks.

I just circled the description of the server since both of my invoices did not contain the HP part number. I assume the serial number and description is enough as I got both rebate cheques.:)

• Advertisement

@howamidifferent Hey just wondering if you can help with something. I'm thinking of doing something similar to you with the 5.25" bay, a 4 x 2.5" array, not raid just individual drives being cloned from network sources. I know you went with the Lindy unit but do you have an opinion on this one

http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=43&prodgroupid=125&id=951&type=19

Just wondering if it was one you came across before purchasing the Lindy and chose the Lindy over it. Cheers

@howamidifferent Hey just wondering if you can help with something. I'm thinking of doing something similar to you with the 5.25" bay, a 4 x 2.5" array, not raid just individual drives being cloned from network sources. I know you went with the Lindy unit but do you have an opinion on this one

http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=43&prodgroupid=125&id=951&type=19

Just wondering if it was one you came across before purchasing the Lindy and chose the Lindy over it. Cheers

The only reason I went for the Lindy one was it had a .ie address so I assumed it was a local supplier, not US or HK.

Its seems similar in that they both support drives up-to 12.5mm high when the standard is 9.5mm, so they can probably take the larger 1TB drives also.
    Here is a 6 bay unit but I would expect this to take only the 9.5mm drives.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1156&ID=2031

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

paddyp wrote: »
    I suppose I still cling onto the tight days when all I could afford was 2mb of RAM because of an earthquake in Taiwan and had to figure out how to make the most of it :) Also I did a fair amount of microcontroller programming where I had 2k of ROM, 128 bytes of RAM and 256 bytes of FLASH so you learn to think about things in minimal terms.

ZFS doesn't make sense to me versus a raid mirror [edit] on a low power server [/edit] unless you have 6 or more drives

Times have definitely moved on :) I do remember paying about £100 fo my 16mb ram upgrade back in the mid 1990s and thinking it was a great bargain!

I expected ram prices to start rising after the Japanese disaster as well so thats another reason to get the 8gb. It doesn't seem to have had any impact yet but stocks may not have run down that much yet.

I'm using 4x2Tb disk raid 5 zfs array so instead of raid 1 mirroring to only(!) give me 4Tb of data storage, I have about 5.7-5.9TB of available storage. Of course time will tell if this proves to be a sensible configuration or not. It is a backup server (theres another primary server also) so I have some redundancy there. I'm playing with configurations to see what I can learn from doing so as well.

The only reason I went for the Lindy one was it had a .ie address so I assumed it was a local supplier, not US or HK.

Its seems similar in that they both support drives up-to 12.5mm high when the standard is 9.5mm, so they can probably take the larger 1TB drives also.
    Here is a 6 bay unit but I would expect this to take only the 9.5mm drives.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1156&ID=2031

Thanks for that. The Thermaltake looks fantastic, I'd only eer be using 9.5" 2.5" anyway as the clones will be going into normal laptops later and at that price its a a steal. Just a shame I cant find anywhere I can steal it from (or buy) in Europe:(. Have you seen it anywhere? Just about to pull the pin on the Patriot 4 bay after ordering the 8gb RAM and hoping for the best

Thanks for that. The Thermaltake looks fantastic, I'd only eer be using 9.5" 2.5" anyway as the clones will be going into normal laptops later and at that price its a a steal. Just a shame I cant find anywhere I can steal it from (or buy) in Europe:(. Have you seen it anywhere? Just about to pull the pin on the Patriot 4 bay after ordering the 8gb RAM and hoping for the best

No, I havent seen it anywhere in Europe although I did google for it and would have bought if I had found it...

No, I havent seen it anywhere in Europe although I did google for it and would have bought if I had found it...

have a peek on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Thermaltake-MAX-1562-6x2-5inch-HDD-Converter-RC1600101A-/270692493945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0687aa79#ht_2853wt_906

I haven't been able to find it in any resellers in the EU

nearest match I can find is
    http://www.lindy.ie/sas-sata-back-plane-system-for-4-x-25-hard-drives/21980.html

Mac daddy wrote: »

I've seen those ones as well, thanks for the links though. The Lindy is the one howamidifferent uses in his Microserver. Just wondering how to get my hands on a thermaltake unit although will need to find a helpful yankee and an idiot in customs and excise so as not to pay twice. Or I could just get a 4 bay & stop being a greedy plank:)

I've seen those ones as well, thanks for the links though. The Lindy is the one howamidifferent uses in his Microserver. Just wondering how to get my hands on a thermaltake unit although will need to find a helpful yankee and an idiot in customs and excise so as not to pay twice. Or I could just get a 4 bay & stop being a greedy plank:)

Well buying from the states is the risk you take when buying bits and pieces :)
    Me personally I have bought around 800 dollars worth of watercooling bits for my systems and I have never received anything from customs yet, and I have bought a fair amount of electronic device and computer parts over the past number of years.

Any big orders that I place via newegg ect I always use bongous to forward it to ireland for me ( pay per use service )
    https://bongous.com/package_forwarding.php

But the cost of getting it forwarded to Ireland isn't worth your while for a $60 component.

Icydock do similiar products as lindy and the thermaltake one
    http://www.icydock.com/category.php?id=41
    and these are normally easier to get a hold of in europe via the Uk or a german/dutch resellers.

***Edit***
    just found a 6 bay device for a single 5.25" sloth in the EU via scan.co.uk!
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sharkoon-sata-quickport-internal-sata-iii-6-gb-s-6xbay-25-hdd-into-single-525-bay

Mac daddy wrote: »
    just found a 6 bay device for a single 5.25" sloth in the EU via scan.co.uk!
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sharkoon-sata-quickport-internal-sata-iii-6-gb-s-6xbay-25-hdd-into-single-525-bay

Just had a look at the pics for that. Downside is it requires 2 molex power connectors instead of 1 as the thermaltake does...Although I suppose you could pick up a splitter for the one in the HP Microserver for a few euro.....

EDIT: Also says 4 sata cables supplied with it? Why 4 and not 6? typo maybe?

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the pics for that. Downside is it requires 2 molex power connectors instead of 1 as the thermaltake does...Although I suppose you could pick up a splitter for the one in the HP Microserver for a few euro.....

EDIT: Also says 4 sata cables supplied with it? Why 4 and not 6? typo maybe?

Something else to keep a eye on is Max. HDD height: 9.5 mm which means the following drives will NOT fit in it
    Toshiba 1TB 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive
    1TB Seagate ST91000640NS Constellation.2 Hard Drive - HDD
    750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue Hard Drive - HDD

as the drives above are all 12.5 mm to 15mm drives

This drive here Samsung Spinpoint M7 500GB 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive
    should fit in it dimensions are 9.5 mm
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500gb-samsung-hm500ji-spinpoint-m7-25-sata-(95-mm)-single-platter-8mb-cache-12-ms-ncq

This drive will also fit
    Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive
    500GB Western Digital WD5000BEVT Scorpio Blue, 2.5", SATA 3Gb/s, 5400rpm, 8MB Cache, 12ms, PS3 Ready
    9.5 mm
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500gb-western-digital-wd5000bevt-scorpio-25-sata-300-5400-rpm-8mb-cache-2-ms

Splitter that should work
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/power-splitter-cable-molex-to-2-x-molex-way-(rb-511)

Ideally I wouldn't use splitters if possible here.
    I might buy one of these 6bay devices next week depending on the disks that I can get for it, still checking the reviews of the disks above and performance numbers.

Also you would need a controller for it which can be pretty damm pricey!

Advertisement