Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas to Citywest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Greedy buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Not really, considering the number of stops they're adding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

MYOB wrote: »
    the Belgard stop is meant to be roofed; currently it has a roof structure and no covering...

It had a covering, blew off after about a day IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rabbitt wrote: »
    On a different note will the price of a ticket from Belgard to Saggart be the same as Belgard to Tallaght?
    Yes. There are no new zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭howiya

Is it a permanent feature of the extension that trams are going to crawl along the section between cookstown and belgard?

• Advertisement

I doubt it. It may be just until they are happy the signalling is working as intended.

The new map. First seen in
    Irish Rail's onboard magazine

Thanks for that Victor. Good to see it's not a different zone epecially when it's only two stops more than Belgard to Tallaght line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

Victor wrote: »
    The new map. First seen in
    Irish Rail's onboard magazine

Tbh it looks pretty amateurish.

I think it would be much better for the Tallaght-Belgard section to be parallel with the 45˚ degree zone boundary. This approach was used for the Docklands extension (out of necessity, because 3 stations were on the zone boundary), and I think it looks much better).

Alternatively, if there is not enough space, the Tallaght-Belgard section should run vertical, and the Saggart-Belgard section horizontal.

Design standards for maps like this are very important. If you look at the London Underground map for instance, everything runs parallel or perpendicular to everything else, and it is a design classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

If I were a thrill seeker tourist braving the Saggart Luas extension what are the high points of the trip from Belgard to Saggart i.e. what can be seen from the tram and what is within easy walking distance of each stop? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If I were a thrill seeker tourist braving the Saggart Luas extension what are the high points of the trip from Belgard to Saggart i.e. what can be seen from the tram and what is within easy walking distance of each stop? Thanks!

Citywest industrial estate would be accessible with a little walk depending on where you are going to, Fortunestown shopping centre but it's just Dunnes and a few other units, Saggart village, Rathcoole with a walk and Citywest Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

There is a nice halting site close to the junction of the Luas and Cheeverstown Road where you can learn about the rich cultural diversity of the area. There is also a high building just across from the halting site where you can perfect your stone throwing - almost every window has been boarded up by now though so they may have to move onto throwing stones at the luas :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks guys - are there really no positives to come from the extension or is it just going to lead to the Red Line becoming even more of a no-go area? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Thanks guys - are there really no positives to come from the extension or is it just going to lead to the Red Line becoming even more of a no-go area? :(

Most of the citywest extension is through boring commuter estates and business parks. It's hardly a rough area at all, maybe a bit between Belgard and the outer ring road. It'll probably be fairly well used, because there's a decent mix of business and houses in the area.

D Peoples Voice you seem to be quite negative about the area.
    As in the name, travellers can set up camp anywhere. As we see out in Blackrock they got some real prime land out by the DART line in Blackrock. I suggest you keep the negative comments about stone throwing and halting sites to yourself.

D Peoples Voice you seem to be quite negative about the area.
    As in the name, travellers can set up camp anywhere. As we see out in Blackrock they got some real prime land out by the DART line in Blackrock. I suggest you keep the negative comments about stone throwing and halting sites to yourself.
    you can make the suggestion if it makes you feel happy,
    but it doesn't stop it from being true :D

But please, be sure to tell us of all the positive things there are for someone getting the luas out there. I might be converted yet ;)

You should ask that to Jim Mansfield and Co who put up half the money to build it.
    Your coming across as your a bit of a snob which may be a shame if your a decent chap.
    In sure your probably too afriad or too up your own backside to get the Luas Red Line so you shoul probably stop making comments on it and the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

http://www.luas.ie/luas-citywest-fast-approaching.html

Luas To Saggart Opening 12 Noon Sat 2nd July
    16 June 2011
    Luas-Is-Opening-Dedicated-Newspage-Image-182x80.jpgLuas Citywest is the 4.2km extension of the Luas Red Line (The Point - Tallaght) from Belgard to Saggart. Passenger services are due to start in July 2011. Luas Citywest will serve 5 new Luas Stops located at Fettercairn, Cheeverstown (Brookfield and Ard Mor), Citywest Campus, Fortunestown and Saggart. Cheeverstown Stop will have a Park & Ride Facility with 312 spaces. The line will terminate at Saggart Stop. The estimated journey time between The Point and Tallaght is 51 minutes and the estimated journey time between Connolly and Saggart is 49 minutes.

The line is a Public Private Partnership between RPA, South Dublin County Council and private property developers. Luas Citywest is is part funded by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and was the first project for which RPA has sought An Bord Pleanála approval under the provisions of the Strategic Infrastructure Act 2006.
    • Map of Luas Citywest, click here to read or download
    • Information Leaflet including Operating Hours & Frequency & Fares, click here to read or download
    • Red Line extension, Luas Citywest (Line A1), Click here for more information
    • Luas Citywest (Line A1) Construction Update No.8, Click here to view or download
    • Your questions answered, click here for more information

Operating pattern for Red Line appears to be:

Monday-Friday

Tallaght-Point: 05:30-00:30 (Both Directions)

Saggart-Connolly: 07:00-19:40

Saggart-Belgard Shuttle: 05:35-07:00 and 19:40-00:25

Last Outbound tram from the Point with shuttle connection to Saggart - 00:05

Saturday:

Tallaght-Point: 06:30-00:30 (Both Directions)

Saggart-Connolly: 08:55-18:55

Saggart-Belgard Shuttle: 06:35-08:55 and 18:55-00:25

Last Outbound tram from the Point with shuttle connection to Saggart - 00:05

Sundays

Tallaght-Point: 07:00-23:30 (Both Directions)

Saggart-Connolly: 12:00-19:10

Saggart-Belgard Shuttle: 07:05-12:00 and 19:10-23:25

Last Outbound tram from the Point with shuttle connection to Saggart - 23:05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

You should ask that to Jim Mansfield and Co who put up half the money to build it.
    Your coming across as your a bit of a snob which may be a shame if your a decent chap.
    In sure your probably too afriad or too up your own backside to get the Luas Red Line so you shoul probably stop making comments on it and the area.

Its boards.ie.

Most of the regular posters on C&T are pretty scathing about any rail services, perhaps they all graduated from Sean Barrett's or Colm McCarthy's classes in Trinners or Donnybrook Polytechnic.

Rail = less money for the Merc estate.

• Advertisement

Its boards.ie.

Most of the regular posters on C&T are pretty scathing about any rail services,
    untrue Propellerhead,
    it takes at least 20 minutes to get from Heuston to Hazelhatch
    http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2011/Dublin%20Portlaoise%2011.pdf
    DUBLIN Heuston Dep 06.30
    Hazelhatch & Celbridge Dep . . 06.50

so some of us think that 49 minutes for the luas to get to Saggart, a similar distance, is excellent :)

That new map is hideous.

1. The lines aren't even.
    2. There are three different station markers.
    3. Three different stop fonts/colours.
    4. The zone shading grades are incosistent across the two lines.
    5. The distances between stations isn't even for Red 4.
    6. Sandyford doesn't make any sense, cf Belgard and Busaras.
    7. They've still got Red 2 and Green 2, Red 3 and Green 3, etc. instead of a simple "Zone 2". I realise it's related to the fare structure, but the two lines aren't that different anymore.

Aard wrote: »
    That new map is hideous.

1. The lines aren't even.
    2. There are three different station markers.
    3. Three different stop fonts/colours.
    4. The zone shading grades are incosistent across the two lines.
    5. The distances between stations isn't even for Red 4.
    6. Sandyford doesn't make any sense, cf Belgard and Busaras.
    7. They've still got Red 2 and Green 2, Red 3 and Green 3, etc. instead of a simple "Zone 2". I realise it's related to the fare structure, but the two lines aren't that different anymore.

Sandyford, Belgard and Busaras are all interchange points - I'm not sure why you think that does not make any sense?

I mean the orientation of the symbol. It's just a big ugly blob. At the very least, they should have it longways.

If they didn't use a special station-symbol to demarkate zone boundaries (as well as the white lines) they could use that as the interchange symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Aard wrote: »
    There are three different station markers.

Agreed, this is daft. There is no need to denote interchange stations - it should be obvious from the map. Likewise, there should be no need to denote terminus stops differently, they are obvious (except Sandyford which should be obvious from the front of the tram and platform displays). I thought the old map was a lot cleaner. I'd also argue that there's no need to denote cross-zone stations differently too but this one is more subjective.

Edit: why are Abbey st and Spencer Dock designated as a regional bus stops?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What regional buses stop at Kingswood? Indeed what buses of any description stop on Enbankment; I drive it very frequently (sometimes 10x a day - its the way to my office from the M50) and I've never noticed a bus stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Most of the regular posters on C&T are pretty scathing about any rail services
    Think you need a better FADEC unit in that head of yours. Most C+T people just don't support stupid proposals costing significant sums with inadequate returns, when projects which would create significant modal shift get longfingered because they have the nerve to serve significant urban areas. VERY few posters here are anti-rail per se.

MYOB wrote: »
    What regional buses stop at Kingswood? Indeed what buses of any description stop on Enbankment; I drive it very frequently (sometimes 10x a day - its the way to my office from the M50) and I've never noticed a bus stop...

56/56a just around the corner from Embankment LUAS stop on the side road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lxflyer wrote: »
    56/56a just around the corner from Embankment LUAS stop on the side road.
    That is not a "regional"/Bus Eireann bus? if this is the case then all stops are adjacent to Dublin bus stops and should be marked the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Why is citywest shopping centre marking out car park spaces for the luas in the underground car park and advertising them for free? Why would anyone park at the Park and ride at cheeverstown and pay 6 euro for the day?

Advertisement