Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas to Citywest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,564 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    It usually takes the 145 20 minutes to get from UCD to the north end of Stephen's green, and longer at peak times. The Luas journey takes 40 minutes from start to finish. I find it difficult to believe that the bus can travel from UCD to cherrywood in 10 minutes. The printed timetable gives the 145 an hour to make the off peak journey to the city from Kilmacanogue, which is probably close enough.

I agree that the red line is pretty slow though, but since most Tallaght buses take a trip around the world on their way to town, it still beats the like of the 49 and 77 very easily.

The 145 would certainly off-peak get from Cherrywood to St Stephen's Green in 40 minutes maximum, but probably in 35.

With regard to the red line, the 49 is hardly a good example to use in comparing with the LUAS given it takes a wide detour while serving Ballycullen and Firhouse.

My own experience is that it depends on where you are going. If you are going to the northside of Dublin city centre then the LUAS is best, but if going to the southside then the bus, such as the more direct 65, 65b, or 77 is faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

Even an hour from Citywest to town is great if it is reliable. At the moment, it's 65b or 69 and doing better than these 2 will be easy. Personally, I look forward to this extension because right now going to town from Citywest is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    It usually takes the 145 20 minutes to get from UCD to the north end of Stephen's green, and longer at peak times. The Luas journey takes 40 minutes from start to finish. I find it difficult to believe that the bus can travel from UCD to cherrywood in 10 minutes.

last time I got 145 to town from Cabinteely it took 30 minutes at 8pm
    time before that was 35 mins at about 7pm

They fly in, usually helped by overlapping 145's and 46a's too

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Rabbit, the start date for the Citywest line is July 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Cheers for that.
    Please tell me that most of the Luas' from
    saggart will gonto town and not involve changing at Belgard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Afraid not, Rabbit....

From what I hear, we'll have to change at Belgard to go from Citywest to town, or The Square!...:confused:

I'm with you... A direct service would have been nice... Still, as we're finally getting a service, I suppose we shouldn't really complain!...

Sorry I can't be the bearer of better news!...

Darth...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Victor wrote: »
    Timetable should be similar to the rest of the Red Line, but most trams will be shuttles between Saggart and Belgard.
    If there's going to be a shuttle service, I'd have hoped that it would go to Tallaght. People could still transfer at Cookstown to continue into town, and the Tallaght terminus would give access to the Square for workers and shoppers.

The standard operation should be Connolly-Saggart and The Point-Tallaght, but perhaps it may be different at certain times such as late evenings, or perhaps early mornings at weekends when demand would be less.

It's silly to have shuttles up amd back .
    There should be direct services especially at peak times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The station at Belgard was re-built to allow a shuttle but its definitely not going to be the only service.

• Advertisement

Darthvadar wrote: »
    Afraid not, Rabbit....

From what I hear, we'll have to change at Belgard to go from Citywest to town, or The Square!...:confused:

I'm with you... A direct service would have been nice... Still, as we're finally getting a service, I suppose we shouldn't really complain!...

Sorry I can't be the bearer of better news!...

Darth...

Are you sure about this?

My understanding is that the current Connolly-Red Cow trams will continue now to Saggart, and that the existing Point-Tallaght service will continue.

The services out of Connolly run from 0530 to 2200 Mon-Fri, 0700-2200 on Saturdays, and 0900-2200 on Sundays. I would consider that outside of those times there will be a shuttle to/from Belgard and perhaps also additional shuttles during those periods also given the lower frequencies to/from Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,291 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aard wrote: »
    If there's going to be a shuttle service, I'd have hoped that it would go to Tallaght.
    The configuration doesn't really suit this.

The idea is to let the existing Tallaght stops retain most of their services.

There should be some direct Saggart-City services, especially at peak times.

Completely agree. The most logical thing is to simply extend to Saggart the service that currently terminates at the Red Cow. My post was just a "what it" if the case was that there *had* to be a shuttle element.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

A test Luas just passed me outside Citywest shopping centre! :D:D:D:D Can't believe that it's almost ready:D

(ok,ok... I know that they said this summer...but I remember when the extension was supposed to open in 2006)

Yea it will be great to have.
    Hopefully they will be serving town directly and plenty of then at rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why are people so against a shuttle service?

It's one of the thing we need to embrace in PT in Ireland if there is ever going to be any kind of working reform, be it tram, bus or rail. Much more applicable to DB sure but not every journey has to be done without changes just because its the way we do it now.

Given the high frequencies of the Luas and nature of ticketing, a shuttle should be a perfectly workable solution

I just think that a shuttle service is a tad silly.
    Nobody really wants to spend ten minutes in bad weather waiting on a luas onlybto get off and wait a further ten at belgard in bad weather.
    Connolly to Saggart should be the designated services

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

the Belgard stop is meant to be roofed; currently it has a roof structure and no covering...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Does anyone know how long it takes to walk from the Saggart stop to the Citywest Events Centre? I may be attending an event their later this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

2 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

2 mins

Great, can't get much better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Shuttle services between 7am - 7pm will be Saggart - Connolly, Connolly - Saggart.

Should it not be shuttle services between 5am amd 7am and 7pm to midnight?

This is a shuttle service. Mainline is Tallaght - The Point.

rednik wrote: »
    This is a shuttle service. Mainline is Tallaght - The Point.

No it isn't - the shuttle is Saggart to Belgard and v.v. You could not call a journey from Saggart to Connolly a shuttle.

There will be two main Red Line services - Point-Tallaght and Connolly-Saggart supplemented by the shuttle from Belgard to Saggart.

lxflyer wrote: »
    No it isn't - the shuttle is Saggart to Belgard and v.v. You could not call a journey from Saggart to Connolly a shuttle.

There will be two main Red Line services - Point-Tallaght and Connolly-Saggart supplemented by the shuttle from Belgard to Saggart.

We run a shuttle service at the moment Red Cow - Connolly which will be Saggart -Connolly from early July.

rednik wrote: »
    We run a shuttle service at the moment Red Cow - Connolly which will be Saggart -Connolly from early July.

In transport terminology a distance of Saggart-Connolly would not be called a "shuttle" - for goodness sakes it's about the same length as the Point to Tallaght.

You're just confusing people here by calling it that. People are referring to the shuttle here as Belgard-Saggart.

Basically what you are saying the pattern will be during the day Connolly-Saggart and Point-Tallaght, with short Belgard-Saggart shuttles at other times.

For me, a typical shuttle is a short feeder line. Like the Saggart branch, or a hypthetical Howth-Donaghmede service. Routes that could work as standalone lines would never be typified as "shuttle".

On a different note will the price of a ticket from Belgard to Saggart be the same as Belgard to Tallaght?

• Advertisement

Unlikely. I'd imagine the entire branch will form zone Red 5.

Advertisement