Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket to Evo 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Say we were somehow able to cover the costs of travel and accommodation, if the person who comes in 1st place is unable to go to Evo and the person in 2nd place is able, what happens then?

Does the person who came in 2nd get the full prize while the person in 1st gets something like a free entry to next Inferno? €1000 - free entry to a €15 tournament doesnt seem like a fair trade to me.

Do they split the prize? If flights etc are already booked this wont be an option. If they're not booked and the prize is given as cash, and the 2 of them split it, this sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing, since not everyone can even afford half of the trip to Evo, bringing the number of who could possibly attend, even lower.

It's all well and good to have a positive attitude towards this, but we still need to address the negative aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

GorySnake wrote: »
    Say we were somehow able to cover the costs of travel and accommodation, if the person who comes in 1st place is unable to go to Evo and the person in 2nd place is able, what happens then?

Does the person who came in 2nd get the full prize while the person in 1st gets something like a free entry to next Inferno? €1000 - free entry to a €15 tournament doesnt seem like a fair trade to me.

Do they split the prize? If flights etc are already booked this wont be an option. If they're not booked and the prize is given as cash, and the 2 of them split it, this sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing, since not everyone can even afford half of the trip to Evo, bringing the number of who could possibly attend, even lower.

It's all well and good to have a positive attitude towards this, but we still need to address the negative aspects.

Hence a clear definition of what happens when in the event rules & regualtions etc. Anyone entering who can't go, probably knows when entering and as such would just have to accept that if they can't go and win then it goes to the next who can. No?

Well obviously if the winner cant go it'll be passed on to the next person in line, but then what about the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

what about the winner.

The prize is X. If you win and can't go, then it gets passed as discussed. My question is that if this is known by all beforehand, were is the issue?

So the winner gets nothing if he cant attend? That's going to kill the number of participants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So the winner gets nothing if he cant attend? That's going to kill the number of participants.

It won't stop people who aree there to support the community rather than assume they'll win.

It didn't last year like.

But upping the cost of entry to €30 as well? It's a lot to ask of someone who cant attend, entering a tournament for €30 where they have 0% chance of winning anything.

But upping the cost of entry to €30 as well? It's a lot to ask of someone who cant attend, entering a tournament for €30 where they have 0% chance of winning anything.

The point the lads are trying to make is that it shouldn't just be a tournament, it should be something more than that.

It shouldn't just be 30 euro to play in Inferno lite. It should be something special. What can be done to create that I don't know.

For a loooong time people have hmmed and hawwed over an annual event which'd be the highlight of the fg calender. Might be time to resurrect that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Hows that anyones fault, we can hardly have a back up prize, if he cant attend. Nothing will match the value of the original/initial prize.
    If you cant go, tough ****. Strictly speaking before entering the competition, you here by agree that you will be available from X to the Y of this month.

Other than that, im not for the idea at all. Its expensive and really not worth it in the end.

I didnt say it was anyone's fault. I just stated my opinion on what could happen

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    Hows that anyones fault, we can hardly have a back up prize, if he cant attend. Nothing will match the value of the original/initial prize.
    If you cant go, tough ****. Strictly speaking before entering the competition, you here by agree that you will be available from X to the Y of this month.

Other than that, im not for the idea at all. Its expensive and really not worth it in the end.

Now here's the thing. I'm torn on this.

It's a logistical pain in the arse and alot of heartache on past evidence, but if we could send Hound or Cog to Evo and they got noticed, for me, that'd be worth my 30 quid.

It's hard to convey how much it made my day when I met a guy in Cannes who already knew who I was, along side Chris, hound, Sairus and others from the videos. From Poland! I actually sat down beside him and he said "Hi, you're Doctor Doom, right?"

That's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

but if we could send Hound or Cog to Evo and they got noticed, for me, that'd be worth my 30 quid.

or bush or stevekanevo or blag etc lets be honest there's a fair whack of competition at the top nowadays and I'd be happy to see my contributuion go to any of these lads!!

@gory - You are right in a sense, last year there were people who didnt enter the tournament, conceding that they couldnt win so what is the point. But the way I would see this is its pretty much the community saying to its members 'hey we'd love to send one of our top lads to the biggest tournament in the world, can you help?, oh and theres a tournament in it for you aswell'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

On the topic of alternative prizes, prehaps thats where a sponsor could come in and maybe pay for things like arcade sticks or something related so that the winner if they decide not to go to Evo, isn't going away empty handed ( or maybe that could be the purpose of a side tournament. )

Of course, such prizes needn't be that big a deal but all things are worth considering, aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

If the tourney is basically a fund raiser id rather just give my 30 quid to cobelcog :pac:

bush wrote: »
    If the tourney is basically a fund raiser id rather just give my 30 quid to cobelcog :pac:

Well, what else would it be. Funds are required.
    But i get your point, at the end of the day if we need some one to represent Ireland, it needs to be the best, some one that has won constantly. But Ofcourse there needs to be a formality. We cant just set up a DONATE box.
    Also i'm pretty sure Chris will need to bring some one with him [no offence btw, no way id let my kid go to Vegas on his own, either]

Because of these formalities and mind set, it all just becomes an odd pain.

There is talk of people going to EVO anyway, isnt there? thats irish representation there.
    I'm going to Vegas in May but for hookers and drugs

To be honest I dont think many people want to go anyway. Most people said on irc they have no interest in going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm going anyway. Give me the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Lol at the people saying they won't go if they don't think they can win.

Might as well give up inferno too with that attitude.

Anywho thoughts:

Straight up SSFIV tournament
    : simplest and most obvious answer

Iron Man type tournament: Eg points awarded for tournament placing in 3+ tournaments.
    Split between SSFIV BB and MvC3 for example.

Iron man would be much more hassle but also more of an event.

More thoughts: MK launch may provide sponsorship avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

The winner should get the prize and do whatever the hell he/she wants to do with it.

Ie:if Cobelcog wins it, can't go, he can give it to Hound/Bush/Farz or whoever he wants etc...

If the winner can't be trusted to make a responsible decision we should abort the whole operation. I'm sure that whoever wins(assuming they're a member of the community) will make the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Hi guys,

Just a few things to add.

I spoke with seth at svb about doing this event, so if you guys are willing i don`t see why it can`t happen, whoever wants to get the ball rolling can contact me and ill forward you seths contact details.

However, before you guys set out to do anything, you need to start agreeing with each other on what to do and how to do it.

Working together is the key to success, unite together and make it work. A problem shared is a problem halved, you guys are well capatable of making this event or any event in the future work, but you need to pull together.

good luck.

• Advertisement

Says the fella who went off on his own to do it last year and made a complete balls of it.

worst poster ever made.
    better off using microsoft word

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

If the event is solid, I wouldn't mind what the poster looked like....especially when most of the target market will see the info in plain text form online.

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If the event is solid, I wouldn't mind what the poster looked like....especially when most of the target market will see the info in plain text form online.

why make a poster in the first place then. Surely that target market here is 100% online users, by your logic?

THERES even a watermark at the bottom right, havin a laugh.

Advertisement