Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket to Evo 2011

Options
  • 09-03-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

We up for doing this again this year?
    Can we get a 30, 35 man+ tournament or is there an apitite at all?

If we're gonna do it we need to start planning soon, so a thread to get the ball rolling.

I suppose include in replies if you support the idea and/or if you'd enter such a tournament.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'd say we should run one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

But for Super or Marvel?!

I'm just saying... we got a top 8 in Cannes in Marvel. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

If its done in a similar way to last year ( ie, do as an Inferno with an altered prize structure ) then I'd be up for entering it as well. Of course I'm not the one to decide that but what I do know is that one rule will need to be strictly enforced to prevent a repeat of last year's fiasco: Everyone who enters will have to make their intentions of whatever to they want/can to go to Evo or not known on the day

As for the game, thats open to debate, Super will still presumably be the main event but Marvel is probably going to be more popular this year.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

It doesn't have to be confirmed on the day. Just within a known time peroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

That's where things get messy, a simple tick of the box on the day, full winner annouced before everyone goes home, job done.

We've got 3-4 months for people to make sure they can attend in case of victory.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Its not messy if its known well in advance that people have a few days after the event to confirm if they can go or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

that's why it was messy in the first place; no clarification of what amount of notice you had.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You'd have to give a period of about a week for people to confirm whether they can go or not. A trip to America is not a little thing, it can take organising for people in work etc.

After this period of a week the offer should go to the highest ranking player, and so on.

Second on this- I'm pretty sure I am not getting involved in the running of this in any way, shape or form. Fingers are burned.

Thirdly- someone needs to contact the organisers of Evo and see if they'll give us the seeding, or it's pointless.

But for Super or Marvel?!

I'm just saying... we got a top 8 in Cannes in Marvel. ;)

Damn right, don't forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I would say we shouldn't do it.

It's too messy and awkward to organise in every aspect. From organising who gets it (TBH I hate the idea of sending someone that didn't win it), to organising tickets or whatever and it just becomes giving people money, which seems to defeat the point to me.

Unless by some miracle we get everyone that has ever shown up any Inferno we won't be able to cover the costs.

Oh and if we are doing then deciding on the day is a god awful idea. Going to EVO is a big deal based on cost, time off work and all sorts of other aspects. You need time to find out if you can go. A week seems fair, if everyone in top 16 considers it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Why can't people know on the day if they'll be available for EVO or not? It's simply a matter of having the dates available. I've never entered a qualification tournament without knowing for sure that I can attend the main event.

If you award the prize and then give the winner a week to sort out some time off, what happens if they can't? Does second place get an additional week? Or do they, and everyone else, need to spend the same week sorting the details incase the ticket gets passed to them? And if that's the case, why not the week before the qualifier?

I'm all for the know-on-the-day requirement. Procrastinating over it makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I think its too expensive. Without sponsorhsip or something I cant see how the money could be made. And the burden that was put on a few people last year was too much and you couldnt expect anyone to do it this year.

But if it does go ahead there were a lot of lessons learned that wouldnt happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Couldn't you only afford the flights last year because Chunkis knew a guy who was friends with the half-brother of someone who was in a hockey club with the aide of the girl who worked a few buildings down from a guy whose dad knew where to get cheap flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The main reason for the week is that it's unlikely we'll be able to cover the full cost of the trip so there is still a cost to the participant which needs to be considered based on how much is available as a prize. It's part of the reason why I think it should be a no-go.

As I said, if everyone in top 16 takes the week to consider if they can make it then you're ready to go once it's done. The week is just an arbitrary number, in reality it would be a day or two but it's just some kind of time frame so that people don't have to decide on the day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm really, really, really hesitant about the whole thing.

Last year had a financial and time cost for me, it also created alot of stress for me moderation wise, and it also created some bad feeling I'm sure we all regret to this very day.

If people want to do this then ok but I'd like you to think very very carefully indeed before you do.

I can understand where your all coming from, I was going by the assumption that people would know whatever they'd want / would be able to go before the day of the event.

I just simply don't want a repeat of what happened last year, thats all. I care about the community and don't want its reputation taking another hit like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

@Structure: Why don't we do an opt in for a tourney thats specific purpose is the winner goes to Evo. That way every participant entering, knowing the dates of EVO, can make arrangements. If the winner cannot make the changes then you have an ordered list (of participants who specifically entered to go) from which you can go through if 1st can't go.

@Costs: A Tourney like this could follow inferno rules and format but we could put a real promotion on it and separate it from Inferno. This could be Evo Qualifier event....... This way we could charge enough for entry to pay more for the cost to send...and in this regard, I think we could offer tickets and hotel stay as the prize with flights up to the individual. Stating this at the beginning would allow people to make informed decisions to enter the competition. I would go to this tourney... No chance of me winning it but I would go, support the initiative and send a rep to EVO.....

....and not Azza! Can't have dirty dictator scum representing us. :p

Could be done and last years mistakes are something to be learned from, not a reason to not do this....

And for SSF4, not Marvel. Its got more of a draw is a far better game anyway/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This should only be run if we confirm some kind of sponsorship beforehand to pay for flights, accommodation and entry fees. Nobody should have to dig into their own funds for the prize.

Also, last years fiasco with who the prize went to was entirely my fault which I've made clear many times and I'm truly sorry for.

Also, last years fiasco with who the prize went to was entirely my fault which I've made clear many times and I'm truly sorry for.

So last season man. I had forgotten about it tbh.

@Sponsorship: Gamesnash? might contribute a little?

Question: How much does this sort of thing cost all in for flights, accomm & ticket? Just so I have a fix on it cause there are a few people I could approach re sponsorship - depending on cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You'd probably be talking somewhere in the region of €1000 for flights, accommodation and entry fees.

Could be gotten cheaper if booked early and got a good deal somewhere.

That's why a tournament like this would have to be run soon, to give us plenty of time to book well in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No point doing this if its like last year where 80% of people in the tourney didnt want to go.

• Advertisement

@chopper: all I remember was the fiasco, not the person whose fault it was, don't worry about it.

I also wouldn't mind if the event was more expensive than an inferno ( personally, I'd recommended it being done in lieu of an Inferno one month but thats just me ) but it would need something to being in an extra draw, apart from the prize of course.

A bigger than usual venue and maybe a side tournie as well and some finger food perhaps but I'm just throwing ideas around and of course, heavy promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

heavy promotion.

Yes, and some heavy burtations too.

You'd probably be talking somewhere in the region of €1000 for flights, accommodation and entry fees.

Could be gotten cheaper if booked early and got a good deal somewhere.

That's why a tournament like this would have to be run soon, to give us plenty of time to book well in advance.

Lads.... 1000 eurons is doable with a community effort, a good tourney and some promotional work.

30 entries @ 30 quid is €900. Couple this with some small, but important, contribution from Gamesnash (I use them as an example only). Would they like the Irish rep to wear a Gamesnash sponsored T-Shirt when playing etc.

Also one not to forget. Every university in Ireland has a Games society and I know first hand of the people involved in NUIM. If we promoted this as an EVO Qualifier (Can we legally do that?) we could not only get interest form these uni's (who, btw, have money for things exactly like this) to send their players to the qualifier. If you got 1/2 from each uni you are talking about 400 quid from them in total if we pitched it at 30 quid an entry. I would reasonably assume that we could get between 20-30 players from all over Ireland from the community as is?

And you could also get Farz to do a site for taking registrations to get ideas for numbers etc.

I really like how positive you're being about this Ayjay. Coming up with ideas and solutions instead of focussing on what can go wrong with the idea. I reckon it can (and hopefully will) work, it just requires a number of ground rules to be laid out beforehand.

I think the first thing that needs to be done, as DooM pointed out, is to contact the organisers and see if we can get a seed spot. Use members achievements in intl tournaments as proof that we deserve one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'm against the idea for the reasons outlined by Orim and Sagat.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Lads.... 1000 eurons is doable with a community effort, a good tourney and some promotional work.

30 entries @ 30 quid is €900. Couple this with some small, but important, contribution from Gamesnash (I use them as an example only). Would they like the Irish rep to wear a Gamesnash sponsored T-Shirt when playing etc.

And you could also get Farz to do a site for taking registrations to get ideas for numbers etc.

Good S***.

It's definitely doable and despite the fiasco last time, I thought it was a good idea that time round and it really still is a good idea that the community should get behind now, higher entry price, a 3v3 side tourney on the day, food and beers, make it THE f***in' event.

An evo prize should also be used to bait the big name English, French players and so on which would also hopefully bait other fighting game fans from their communities to make the trip. This could also strengthen our own community not only by building ties with others across Europe but in giving players a reason to level up. And so what if you can't make evo? You can still show your support by showing up and doing your bit to stop the foreigners from trying to make us look like the big pack of scrubs that we are and walking away with the prize.

It'll take some serious organisation but past f*** ups shouldn't put people off getting behind this. The idea of an Evo qualifier actually makes me want to start putting effort into the game again, not that I think I'll win but because it's so much more fun because something is on the line and it's f***ing Evo, in all honesty fighting games will probably not be as popular as they are now, ever again. There's about 2 years worth of hype left in the tank at most and I think everyone in the community would regret not making the most of it while it lasts, make memories worth remembering not ones that are going to yield regrets.

Just make sure nobody gets tricked into thinking they're going... that s*** ain't cool brah.

And no individuals should be burdened with the cost of this everything within reason should be done to maximise the prize pot so this is actually a self sufficient affair.

It'll take some serious organisation but past f*** ups shouldn't put people off getting behind this.

Exactly, well said man. Just because there were difficulties with the last attempt, that shouldn't deter people from trying again, and succeding this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Page 2 of the thread cheered me up a bit. some positivity :)

It's march now. evo's in july.
    As aj said, entry fee + sponsership isn't outside the realms of possibilities.

And everything upfront open always. No one should have personal finacial burdens.

everyone active in the scene should be giving a reply to this thread.

1: do you support the idea : yes/no
    2: regardless of Q1, if it was held would you go: yes/no.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

I definitely support the idea. I know I've no chance of winning but I'll happily come down to the event and put a few more clams in the pot so we can have an Irish rep at Evo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mix of positivity, negativity, realism and constructive suggestions incoming - take from it what you will....

First off, I'm not sure EVO is the best place to start:
    a) It's far away so winner is less likely to have travelling companions.
    b) It's expensive to get to.
    c) The format is tough and there is fierce competition.

Why not pay for someone to go to Cannes / DreamHack / i-Series / Ultimate Gaming Championship. It costs less, will be attended by other Irish players, better chance of finishing higher, still respected and attended by good players.

Secondly, regardless of the event, it needs to be just that. An Event. Some have criticised Inferno's €15 entry....so why double that to €30 and expect the same level of interest. If attendees were sponsors (which in a way, they are seeing as their entry will go towards the trip), they would look for Return On Investment.

There needs to be a bunch of stuff going on, plenty of things to do, side tournaments, prize pots, documentary showings. Something to make this stand out rather than just another tournament. I would agree with LiquidSwords in that regard - make it as big as possible and get interest from whereever possible.

Thirdly, it cannot be run in conjunction with Inferno. Inferno is no longer a new thing so can afford the month break that it couldn't the last time. No point trying to please all. Reducing the prize pot and making things messy with interested / non-interested mixing up the running order is futile. This should be a stand alone event. This should be something completely different and something (perhaps on the yearly calendar) to look forward to.

There has to be set guidelines in place - tournament rules are all there, so the extra stipulations such as time to make up one's mind also needs to be set in stone.

🤪

Advertisement