Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naff Jackets. Did you have one?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I never had one.
    Latchy wrote: »
    Naff

British slang, today meaning uncool, tacky, unfashionable, worthless... or as a softer expletive, in places where one might use "****" as in "naff off", "naff all", "naffing about".

Origins of the word are disputed, but it appears to have come from Polari (gay slang), used to dismissively refer to heterosexual people.

It was introduced as a less offensive expletive verb ("naff off") in the '70s UK television show, Porridge. "Naff off!" was famously used by Princess Anne in 1982.

In fifties Britain when homosexuality was outlawed gay people had to speak in code. NAFF refers to someone that you fancy but isn't gay. It means Not Available For F*cking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I had a naff jacket,eclipse ends,xworks jeans the whole lot.I remember travelling up from Waterford to the big smoke on Christmas to a shop called "hairy legs" to buy them,beacuse you couldn't get them in Waterford :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I had a pair of Joe Bloggs jeans when I was about sixteen. The front was blue denim and the back was black denim. I looked so cool in them. :cool:

I had another pair of jeans that were really baggy. The back pockets were so massive that I could fit a video tape in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

**** that, I had a parka with assorted Satanic symbols crudely drawn onto it in fat black marker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

al28283 wrote: »
    I can't remember having a Naff jacket but I did have a pair of Xworx jeans

same here... wanna be best friends? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I can remember having a L.A. Sharks jacket (ice hockey fan at the time), Kappa jacket (not sure if puffy or not), Helly Hansen jacket, X-Works jeans, Eclipse jeans...but never had one of those NAFF jackets:pac:

I was a townie in all fairness:p

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Never had one myself.

But there was an ould lad in his 60s living across from my father was still wearing one up to a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

we were bush drinking before a disco when we were about 15, one of the lads was dying for a poo and had nothing to wipe his bum bum with. Then we found a NAFF jacket thrown in the ditch...

Frogeye wrote: »
    we were bush drinking before a disco when we were about 15, one of the lads was dying for a poo and had nothing to wipe his bum bum with. Then we found a NAFF jacket thrown in the ditch...

Did he not have socks on? As long as you're wearing socks you'll never go without a wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Did he not have socks on? As long as you're wearing socks you'll never go without a wipe.

socks my hole!! this was the mid 90's pre celtic tiger boomy times... we didn't even have shoes..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Sh1te straight into the sock and tie it at the end for easy flinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Two come to mind, a bubble jacket when I was a kid and in early adulthood I had a ridiculously oversized leather jacket that none of my friends called me on so I looked like (senile) al pacino for about a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement