Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naff Jackets. Did you have one?

Options
  • 09-03-2011 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Has anyone seen these new Naffco54 jackets. Saw an urban trendsetter wearing one of these on grafton street a few days ago. The logo is similar to the NASA one, silver and futuristic looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

(K)Nackers are Filthy F*ckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I can't remember having a Naff jacket but I did have a pair of Xworx jeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Knackers are fuckin faggots was our version of the acronoym :D

al28283 wrote: »
    I can't remember having a Naff jacket but I did have a pair of Xworx jeans

oh the memmories of cringe! , and no I didnt have either :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Nope but I did have an ENORMOUS Kappa puffa-jacket. A Nope and a Susst Hoody and Roads jeans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Nannie Annie Fúcking Fanny condoms Only 54 pence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

a what?

a what?

if you're under 20 or even 25 maybe, you wont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Naff

British slang, today meaning uncool, tacky, unfashionable, worthless... or as a softer expletive, in places where one might use "****" as in "naff off", "naff all", "naffing about".

Origins of the word are disputed, but it appears to have come from Polari (gay slang), used to dismissively refer to heterosexual people.

It was introduced as a less offensive expletive verb ("naff off") in the '70s UK television show, Porridge. "Naff off!" was famously used by Princess Anne in 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Never had a Naff jacket but I did have both a Chicago Bulls and a Miami Dolphins puffa.

And I wore Eclipse jeans for my confirmation. I thought I was the shiznit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nope, had X-Works jeans though. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nope but I had British Knights runners.

Latchy wrote: »
    Naff

British slang, today meaning uncool, tacky, unfashionable, worthless... or as a softer expletive, in places where one might use "****" as in "naff off", "naff all", "naffing about".

Origins of the word are disputed, but it appears to have come from Polari (gay slang), used to dismissively refer to heterosexual people.

It was introduced as a less offensive expletive verb ("naff off") in the '70s UK television show, Porridge. "Naff off!" was famously used by Princess Anne in 1982.

true but he's talking about an actual brand name of jacket called NAFF, they were jet black shiny tracksuit type material and rainbow coloured lettering :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

No, and i despised them too... proper scobie styling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Saila wrote: »
    true but he's talking about an actual brand name of jacket called NAFF, they were jet black shiny tracksuit type material and rainbow coloured lettering :o

Just as a the slang term suggests , it sounds Naff and Embarrassing to be seen wearing one :o

But I'm over 35 so it doesn't really matter :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Yeah, but i got bullied about it at school so only wore it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yeah i had one. A lot of people in my school had them and carpet coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

I see your Naff jacket and raise it with...

Chicago bulls puffa jacket. (I still have it and I'm 32 - cost my parents a small fortune about 18 years ago and I was the biggest Michael Jordan/bulls fan and it was the icing on the cake that Christmas).

joe bloggs jeans with the leather patch.

LA gear tackies (runners/trainers to anyone outside of Limerick)
    which had 2 sets of laces in each. One perpendicular to the other, weaved like a chess board.

Oh Christ, the shame of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm caucasian and not american so have never craved or worn the clothing mentioned in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Were they black with a grey hood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

NAFF?! i remember em.. on what appeared bosnians. often torn with the stuffing hanging out. declaration of the disenfranchised i had Slayer on the back of mine; and Kreator and Voivod. it were leather

had one o them millits bomber jackets though.. :/ close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I certainly did not. They were for the tragic younger kids who back-combed quiffs into their hair and wore leisurewear as going out clothes. Urgh.
    Thanks for reminding me how horrific they were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Saila wrote: »
    if you're under 20 or even 25 maybe, you wont know

im 26...

to me a coat is a coat...

were total bargain basement, i thought only the most impoverished had em. sure as hell don't recall local townie slickster JT investing in a naff jacket.. flamboyant shellsuits were his game. these things had a bad rep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'd never heard of them before, but just looked them up.

Shame on all of you that wore them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They were just cheap knock-offs of Naf Naf jackets IIRC.

Nackers Asking For Food
    Never had one in but in fairness from what I remember they were decent enough as a coat so lots of folks' parents didn't object to their kids getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Yep I remember myself and my brother had just gotten them(probably around 10 and 12 at the time). We were little messers back in the day and were in a bush lighting a fire. Someone came out of a near-by house and chased us, unfortunately we left our NAFF jackets at the scene of the crime! My mother went ballistic we just lost our new coats.

Also, (K)Nackers Asking For Food.

Here's a pic of the beauty:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs247.snc1/9431_136216596714_704486714_2726793_346425_n.jpg

Edit: Great minds, RoverJames!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nackers Asking For Food

yeah; that was it, most fitting. i recall how the most impoverished family on the street's kid would appear at the door in his naff jacket, asking "have ya any chocolate biccies"

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Jesus, naff jackets are the ultimate mark of a complete scumbag in Cork in mid-90s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement