Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just watched the christmas tree in the shannon sink

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

tishandy wrote: »
    They finally moved it , drove off atop a flatbead trailer. Huge cranes involved, wonder what that cost. They should of just taken the thing down in january. Its only fit for the dump by the look of it now
    photo.php?fbid=214035358612157&set=a.151139924901701.30711.100000170823669&theater

aaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmm - its still there - looking as sad as ever - only the very top is gone, the rest is still arse up in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Fair enough, I was going by the content of tishandy's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

10 min ago. :rolleyes:

dsc03891o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Don't jump Stan, someone will be along shortly to talk you down.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

^^ Ha! smile.gif

If I have to wait for help as long as the "tree", then I jump! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

aaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmm - its still there - looking as sad as ever - only the very top is gone, the rest is still arse up in the sky
    The base is still in the water, they were still working on that when I left last night, I had assumed that it would be hoisted out next but looks like its still there according to "Thesimpsons" post but still technically ,aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmm the tree is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

http://bridalbeautybyemma.blogspot.com/

picture of tree on trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

As a regular visitor to the city, (every fortnight or so), that tree is the biggest pile of ****e even in December when lit up, hopefully when it goes this time it'll stay gone.

Take that back - that tree is worth €10 million to the local economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'd argue it costs that amount, I brought people down a few weeks ago who thought I was joking when I told them about the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Staplor wrote: »
    As a regular visitor to the city, (every fortnight or so), that tree is the biggest pile of ****e even in December when lit up, hopefully when it goes this time it'll stay gone.

Totally agree with you. Said it before and i'll say it again. Nice idea but the execution of the idea is awful. Cheap. nasty looking yoke even at Xmas.

Should never be put up again or if it is it needs a complete overhaul not cheapo lights around a industrial looking frame made of scrap metal

Don't forget that's Thomond Park scrap - worth at least another €1 million to the local economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭BobMc

those cranes cost a fortune to rent, so its going to set them back a small fortune to get it out, typical council, penny wise, pound foolish!!, but when no ones accountable they dont care:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

They should have left it in the Shannon as a symbol of the crashed economy and collapsed property bubble ... we could label it modern art - might become a tourist attraction! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

How on earth can they call a pile of angle iron “Eco friendly” I seen them erect it last time and they had a Crane and 2 cheery pickers burning plenty of diesel and now they have to use lorries and more cranes to take it away,

Eco friendly my asp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

mann wrote: »
    How on earth can they call a pile of angle iron “Eco friendly” I seen them erect it last time and they had a Crane and 2 cheery pickers burning plenty of diesel and now they have to use lorries and more cranes to take it away,

Eco friendly my asp

Let's just say they bought a real 30ft tree, how would they erect that. I'd guess that they'd hire a truck to bring on site and get a crane to erect it, not much different from how they erected the metal tree.

I was never too critical of the tree when lit up, I even thought leaving it in the river and changing the colours of the lights for diferent occasions was a good idea, what annoyed me was the fact the Christmas lights were left on for ages after the Christmas season was over and when it was obvious that the tree was toppled over that it took so long for any action to be takn to have it removed.

phog wrote: »
    Let's just say they bought a real 30ft tree, how would they erect that. I'd guess that they'd hire a truck to bring on site and get a crane to erect it, not much different from how they erected the metal tree.

I was never too critical of the tree when lit up, I even thought leaving it in the river and changing the colours of the lights for diferent occasions was a good idea, what annoyed me was the fact the Christmas lights were left on for ages after the Christmas season was over and when it was obvious that the tree was toppled over that it took so long for any action to be takn to have it removed.

I think it would be more eco friendly to go chop down a fast growing Christmas tree and recycle it afterwards… all you would need to erect it is a lorry with a grab on the back “Job done” But that’s would be way too easy,

I had to go to the office today so I passed that way to find some guys cutting some of the fixings with a torch so I went and had a chat and found out that there were 2 lorries and 2 cranes at it last week from 5am… they took the first and only lift away around 9pm - nice little earner or what,

There cant be much holding it together after all the cutting that went on so it looks like they will be at it again this weekend… most likely on Sunday,

I just checked out the Limerick tide’s and low water is around 12.30 or there about so I think they will chance doing another little bit a few Hours either side of L/W,

Looks to me like the floats on the down side are nicely buried in silt so its going to take some tugging to shift them free, I reckon the cranes will have they’re work cut out for them as the jibs will be fully extended and they cant lift too much weight safely in that position,

Maybe they will get a bigger crane this time… would be fun to watch if you had a time laps camera.

Had to take a picture of it today as I will really miss it when they get it out “whenever”

Eco friendly… ya sure

mann wrote: »
    I think it would be more eco friendly to go chop down a fast growing Christmas tree and recycle it afterwards… all you would need to erect it is a lorry with a grab on the back “Job done” But that’s would be way too easy,

I had to go to the office today so I passed that way to find some guys cutting some of the fixings with a torch so I went and had a chat and found out that there were 2 lorries and 2 cranes at it last week from 5am… they took the first and only lift away around 9pm - nice little earner or what,

There cant be much holding it together after all the cutting that went on so it looks like they will be at it again this weekend… most likely on Sunday,

I just checked out the Limerick tide’s and low water is around 12.30 or there about so I think they will chance doing another little bit a few Hours either side of L/W,

Looks to me like the floats on the down side are nicely buried in silt so its going to take some tugging to shift them free, I reckon the cranes will have they’re work cut out for them as the jibs will be fully extended and they cant lift too much weight safely in that position,

Maybe they will get a bigger crane this time… would be fun to watch if you had a time laps camera.

Had to take a picture of it today as I will really miss it when they get it out “whenever”

Eco friendly… ya sure

I would hope the council got a bid from a company to take the tree out of the water and it's that company that is now responsible for the additional costs.

I think the idea behind the tree was to draw attention to the river by having a floating tree on it, once that was decided the tree was made from recycled metal and it was leds rather than lights that illuminated it, hence it being called an eco friendly tree.

I don't knock the council for trying but I do for allowing the tree to remain lit after the Christmas season and not quicker once it toppled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

phog wrote: »
    I think the idea behind the tree was to draw attention to the river by having a floating tree on it, once that was decided the tree was made from recycled metal and it was leds rather than lights that illuminated it, hence it being called an eco friendly tree.

timeline is off a bit, year 1 it was put outside penneys, and had a little windmill thing at the top that was meant to power the lights. never really worked, so they decided to move it to the river and make it taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

^^^ That's right. It was originally set up outside Penneys and was described as an eco-friendly tree. It did indeed have a little wind generator on top......and a nice thick power cable feeding in through a first floor window of penneys.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Apologies, forgot that :o

Anyway, I still think the idea of a floating tree on the Shannon was a great idea and it really looked well when lit up at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

It looked well lit up, but not when unlit, it needed a bit more refining. a decent floating sculpture would be much more welcome, and could be built using the existing metal.

Personally Id like to see a similar shaped sculpture with a fancier styling to the metal, and perhaps a fountain spraying into the air, lit up at night.

why don't they put in on Poor Mans Kilkee - same effect of appearing of being in the water, far less construction costs and maybe just maybe they would take it down on time. Its shocking (but why does anything LCC do shock me I wonder) its now into April and they still faffing around with the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

why don't they put in on Poor Mans Kilkee - same effect of appearing of being in the water, far less construction costs and maybe just maybe they would take it down on time. Its shocking (but why does anything LCC do shock me I wonder) its now into April and they still faffing around with the thing.

Or just plant/transplant a live tree onto Poor mans Kilkee, and use that. Hard to be more eco friendly than that.

Sure it would mean a bit of work making the quay able to support a growing tree, or rather it's roots, but it would be a nice full time thing that would be easy to light up every time the season came around.

Because when it's on the river it can be seen as you drive down Roches St, one of the main routes through the city and probably more important but it also makes it more difficult for the idiots that want to climb or vandalise it to get access to it as they'd have to swim out to it.

at the moment (and for the last 3 months) the view is of the heap of sad looking metal like a load of discarded shopping trollies dumped in the river, although I see they have 2 mobile cranes there again this morning. hopefully we are seeing the last of it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Today. (3/April/2011)

DSCF3627.JPG

DSCF3630.JPG

DSCF3632.JPG

They finally got the metal out of the river so all that’s left now is the base.. The scrap metal is gone for ever - yes folks I said for ever as it is now resting amongst tons of other scrap where it belonged in the first place,

Its been cut up into little pieces to be really recycled, I cant wait to see what they put in its place,

Being careful is probably better than being fast, did anyone see the ferry in Galway docks?

• Advertisement
Advertisement