Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just watched the christmas tree in the shannon sink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

tippman1 wrote: »
    Anyone find swearing offensive?
    Call me old-fashioned but I find this sort of thing offensive, esp. form a mod.

John.

Where is the swearing? Me no see it? Feck it anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

"It is believed low tides and a reduced flow of water from the turbines at Ardnacrusha hydroelectric power station caused the tree to fall at around 3am this morning."

Damn it was the turbines all the way out in Ardanacrusha that are to blame all along!

And here was me thinking it was the evil Australian goth swan with the black feathers and red beak that was upto no good and toppled it over :rolleyes:

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Ah ffs. I watched it topple over at approx 7.50 am.
    Nothing to do with tides or turbines.
    Everything to do with the fact that the left a piece of metal floating for longer than it was intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Why don't they leave it there as an Underwater Visitor attraction. At a conservitive estimate it's bound to generate about €320 billion for the local enconomy.

Also does this mean that Limerick is no longer a Lady after her Shannon waters have been probed by a foriegn object?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Twin-go wrote: »
    Why don't they leave it there as an Underwater Visitor attraction. At a conservitive estimate it's bound to generate about €320 billion for the local enconomy.

Also does this mean that Limerick is no longer a Lady after her Shannon waters have been probed by a foriegn object?

LOL!
    she's just a big slut now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

bullets wrote: »
    Damn it was the turbines all the way out in Ardanacrusha that are to blame all along!

Blame ? Blame you say ? Surely they should be hailed as a saviour .

It's all over for JP McManus now , he is yesterdays hero .

We shall carry the Turbines aloft on our shoulders down O'Connell Street on St.Patricks day .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Karma!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Push it to the other side of the bridge. Let it go and when it hits County Limerick its their problem.

Sorted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

"It is believed low tides and a reduced flow of water from the turbines at Ardnacrusha hydroelectric power station caused the tree to fall at around 3am this morning."

Cue the mayor claiming that if they has been granted the boundary extension this would never have happened! Those Clare Bastards! :mad: :pac:

• Advertisement

when they're recovering it, they can gather all the trolleys too and gain some extra scrap metal to add a few more tiers to it next year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Twin-go wrote: »

Better than the €10m they roll out every time there is any kind of event in the city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

tippman1 wrote: »
    Anyone find swearing offensive?
    Call me old-fashioned but I find this sort of thing offensive, esp. form a mod.

John.
    Blasphemy & swearing I can live with, but people who can't spell from really bloody annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Recovery plans are underway it seems.

IMGP7862.jpg

More pics in My Picassa Gallery
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Munster.Images/LimerickChristmasTreeFallsOverAgain#

That awkward moment when you leave your Christmas tree up so long that Mother Nature insists on taking it down for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

zuroph wrote: »
    That awkward moment when you leave your Christmas treenot a christmas tree, but a tree shaped monument up so long that Mother Nature insists on taking it down for you
    fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

according to the examiner, a pump that is used to keep it floating failed.

the Ardnacrusha thing was a nice excuse though..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tempted to dole out infractions for bad language and back seat modding, but by jaysus if we can't just get along things we'll start to take on water and it'll be a sinking ship before too long, Celine Dion will be singing, ice bergs will be dead ahead and Poseidon will become the next mayor of Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

vkid wrote: »

If true, a slow clap for the City Council. How hard is it to seal two large pontoons?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That Leader article reads like a story from The Daily Mash. I especially like this quote by Gerry McMahon from Killalee:
    It should be put back on its moorings and left there permanently. London has the London Eye. We should have something.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

We should poke the London Eye with our Limerick Erection :pac:

Not that type of erection, perverts.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/erection

Burger King statue on Bedford Row? :pac:

*cough* King Limerick *cough*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

vkid wrote: »

the Ardnacrusha thing was a nice excuse though..

Ah Sherlock got it..

There were pumps in each of the pontoons which were there to empty any water that got in, were put in as they ground on low water and would eventually leak... The cable supplying power to the tree and more importantly the pumps was found sheared upon inspection. People involved had advised to take tree in. Not nice to see it as some people do put a lot of effort into it, does look well at Xmas...

The poor old Christmas tree couldn't even get it's own thread without the swearing crew p*ssing on it's territory :-)

Keep livin the dream!!

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

can someone tell me why it hasnt been lifted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

The Tree is trying to rise from the shannnon.

UPDATE: slow progress. dosn't seem any plan to it. just to yank it out of water with crane.
    Its now sunk even more

ya, not making much progress at all. its actually fallen at a very difficult angle, as they really need to pull the highest point of base AWAY from the quayside to get it standing, i presume there isnt enough strength in the frame to lift it up from the top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

shme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

They finally moved it , drove off atop a flatbead trailer. Huge cranes involved, wonder what that cost. They should of just taken the thing down in january. Its only fit for the dump by the look of it now
    photo.php?fbid=214035358612157&set=a.151139924901701.30711.100000170823669&theater

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So will it be back up for Christmas? Im betting on Yes

• Advertisement

tishandy wrote: »
    They finally moved it , drove off atop a flatbead trailer. Huge cranes involved, wonder what that cost. They should of just taken the thing down in january. Its only fit for the dump by the look of it now
    photo.php?fbid=214035358612157&set=a.151139924901701.30711.100000170823669&theater

A one day operation involving two cranes yesterday, versus a one day operation involving two cranes in January. Hmmm. Still highly embarrassing however.

Advertisement