Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections

Options
  • 09-03-2011 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

If I get harassed by another lollipop-wielding eejit dressed like a traffic light I'm going to hit someone!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

All over now thanks be to Jesus. Extra-f**king annoying campaigns this year for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

All over now thanks be to Jesus. Extra-f**king annoying campaigns this year for some reason.

Maybe because we'd already seen a few of them before?;)

Yes, our current president trying to fill every position on the Student Union over a certain number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

A friend of mine compared Keith O'Brien to Van Wilder. Haven't been able to take the man seriously since then! :pac:

I don't see any problem with him running again though; shur if enough people vote for him, then he obviously has enough support out there to justify serving as president again.

Quite true. How ever from what I've seen on campus, Honan looks like the bigger candidate, seemed like his 'push' was stronger. I can't remember which I voted for. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

A friend of mine compared Keith O'Brien to Van Wilder. Haven't been able to take the man seriously since then! :pac:

I don't see any problem with him running again though; shur if enough people vote for him, then he obviously has enough support out there to justify serving as president again.
    Didn't he have to step down as president 2 weeks ago just so he could run again? So we currently don't actually have an SU president.
    The Van Wilder comparison is pretty good though. Took him 6 years to finish a 3 year course.

Aodan83 wrote: »
    The Van Wilder comparison is pretty good though. Took him 6 years to finish a 3 year course.

:eek: Ridiculous length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

why do you have to post gossipy ****e like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Didn't he have to step down as president 2 weeks ago just so he could run again? So we currently don't actually have an SU president.

No he didn't step down, he had to take 2 weeks annual leave. When the President takes annual leave the Deputy President assumes his position. He'll still be president until the 1st July.

Also Keith studied Physiology, it's a 4 year degree and took him 5 years to complete as he was welfare officer and had to take a sabatical year. He graduated last summer.

Looking like Ben Honan is going to take prez based on the tallies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

Really delighted Keith didn't get it. By the large margin in votes, seems everyone else is too.

Also, really didn't want to have that 5th officer referundum passed, I voted against. But, I'm even more delighted that girl, Aisling, didn't get it - phew!

Congrats to everyone else though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Even though I'm glad the canvassing and all that ****e is over I'll miss the amazing pictures on the Keith O' Brien for Totalitarian Dictator Facebook page. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Disappointed that Laura Harmon didn't get elected Deputy Pres. Also thought Lisa Ryan would get Irish officer.

Other than that, no complaints about the results. Congrats to those elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Where are the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

No he didn't step down, he had to take 2 weeks annual leave. When the President takes annual leave the Deputy President assumes his position. He'll still be president until the 1st July.

Also Keith studied Physiology, it's a 4 year degree and took him 5 years to complete as he was welfare officer and had to take a sabatical year. He graduated last summer.

Looking like Ben Honan is going to take prez based on the tallies! :)

So he's not even a student and he's running in a student election :confused:

Is that allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

PRESIDENT

Total Valid Poll: 4,041

Honan, Ben (Elected): 2,327

O'Brien, Keith: 1,520

RON: 126

Spoiled: 68

DEPUTY PRESIDENT

Harmon, Laura: 1,764

Murphy, Shane (Elected): 2,008

RON: 77

Spoiled: 192

EDUCATION OFFICER/VP ACADEMIC

Brennan, Cathal: 1,610

O'Drsicoll, Cat (Elected): 2,107

RON: 100

Spoiled: 224

WELFARE OFFICER/VP SUPPORT

Carey, Dave (Elected): 2,202

McCarthy, Mike: 950

O'Connell, Seán: 601

RON: 92

Spoiled: 196

COMMERCIAL & COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER

Healy, Eoghan (Elected): 2,142

Twomey, Aisling: 1,497

RON: 130

Spoiled: 272

ENTS OFFICER

Quota: 1,880

Barret, Cian (Elected): 2,079

Sheehy, Richard: 1,541

RON: 139

Spoiled: 282

OIFIGEACH NA GAEILGE

Dold, Elaine: 1,054

ÓBraonáin, Réamonn: 1,438

Ryan, Lisa: 1,005

RON: 175

Spoiled: 369

Second Count: Ryan Eliminated & Votes Distributed

Dold, Elaine + 279

ÓBraonáin, Réamonn (Elected) + 306

EQUALITY OFFICER

Walsh, Audrey (Elected): 3,250

RON: 374

Spoiled: 417

(Taken from www.collegeroad.ie)

As for whether Keith was allowed to run because he's a not a student, since he did run there must be nothing against a sabatical officer re-running. No idea about the ins and outs of it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Interesting number of spoiled votes. Up to 10% should be kind of worrying.

Any results on the referendum I know they passed But I'm interested in the numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 daithilinnane

I'll try get the full results for the referenda up later. Its was about 2 to 1 on the 5th officer, and a bit of a higher majority for yes to the rest of them.

The spoils are natural. People get one ballot with a number of races on them. Often they will only want to vote for one candidate in one position, and will leave the rest blank, putting those in the spoiled vote category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

On the issue of the creation of a 5th officer, it was 2320 for and 1312 against. I'd like to think that the number of no votes was down to myself and Eliot's "campaign" but you can never no. We did get an awful lot of positive feedback though....

4041 votes. Anyone else think that that's an awful turnout?

It's pretty pathetic alright, roughly a 20% turnout or thereabouts, and once again shows the major disconnect between the students and the S.U. Also, the new President better not use the "I have a mandate" line that Keith O'Brien was so fond of using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I'll try get the full results for the referenda up later. Its was about 2 to 1 on the 5th officer, and a bit of a higher majority for yes to the rest of them.

Cheers Daithi!
    maglite wrote: »
    Interesting number of spoiled votes. Up to 10% should be kind of worrying.

As daithilinnane said, they're not really spoilt. In fact, the technicalities of the counts given above are wrong: the "total valid poll" should be the total number of votes less spoilt votes. And most "spoilt votes" in the SU elections would be people not expressing a preference in one race - these shouldn't be, technically, categorised as spoilt at all. To spoil a vote it has to actually exist.

Now that's pedantry at its finest! :D

Referenda Results 2011

Referendum 1
    ‘That the Union splits the role of Deputy President/Communications into 2 Sabbatical Officers titled ‘Campaigns/Deputy President’ and Commercial & Communication’s Officer’.
    Total Poll: 3,780
    Spoiled 148
    Yes: 2 320
    No: 1,312
    Result: PASSED

Referendum 2
    ‘That the Union formally recognises the SU Equality Officer in the SU Constitution’.
    Spoiled 158
    Yes: 3,144
    No: 478

Referendum 3
    ‘That the Union formally recognises the SU undergraduate and Postgraduate College Representatives in the SU Consitution’.
    Total Poll: 3780
    Spoiled 162
    Yes: 3,287
    No: 331

Fee Plebiscite
    ‘Do you support UCC SU’s campaign against 3rd level fees in any form?’
    Spoilt 148
    Yes: 3,266
    No: 366

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Its actually pretty similar to other SU voting turnouts in Ireland, UCD had 4300 for president last year and Trinity had 4350 this year, also its only marginally down on recent years turnouts in UCC.

The vote is down from last year, but way up on previous years. There is an upward trend in turnout over the past few years, and compared to other colleges we are doing very well. Generally, the more candidates for President, the higher the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Whats wrong with Keith O'Brien?? I voted for him..Who is the deputy...What is Ben Honan going to be like i wonder??Is he related to the Honan Chapel??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

Whats wrong with Keith O'Brien?? I voted for him..Who is the deputy...What is Ben Honan going to be like i wonder??Is he related to the Honan Chapel??? :)

The answer to this question could fill several books but to keep things short:
    • He's arrogant, thinks he's God's gift.
    • He should get a real job. It's not our problem if nobody has been impressed enough with his performance as president to offer him one.
    • He doesn't know what a razor is.
    • He thinks that we're all sexually immature and a t-shirt saying 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' is going to attract us.
    • He wants to turn the Windle building into another office for himself (or something to that effect) at my expense.

I could continue but unlike Mr. O' Brien I have a life outside of UCC so I'm moving to another thread.

pbowenroe wrote: »
    why do you have to post gossipy ****e like that?

Why do you have to post whingy ****e this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

The answer to this question could fill several books but to keep things short:
    • He's arrogant, thinks he's God's gift.
    • He should get a real job. It's not our problem if nobody has been impressed enough with his performance as president to offer him one.
    • He doesn't know what a razor is.
    • He thinks that we're all sexually immature and a t-shirt saying 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' is going to attract us.
    • He wants to turn the Windle building into another office for himself (or something to that effect) at my expense.

I could continue but unlike Mr. O' Brien I have a life outside of UCC so I'm moving to another thread.

This is the lamest character assasination attempt i've ever read. The only point that has any merit is the last one. The rest is gossipy nonsense, this is the kind of stuff that belongs on toilet doors, and not such hallow forums as this. Give us a critique of KOB with a bit more substance please.

This is the lamest character assasination attempt i've ever read. The only point that has any merit is the last one. The rest is gossipy nonsense, this is the kind of stuff that belongs on toilet doors, and not such hallow forums as this. Give us a critique of KOB with a bit more substance please.

As opposed to the crap people have been have been writing and saying for the last 10 years about why Enda Kenny cannot ever be Taoiseach. Voice.... red hair... etc.

• Advertisement

During the No Campaign that myself and Eliot ran, he didn't trying to engage with us until the evening that the polls closed. Before then he said, and I quote, "Some people like to cause hassle and/or say no". As president of the S.U, that is a shockingly dismissive attitude to take with people, and students whom he is/was supposed to represent, who had legitimate concerns about the issue. It's worth noting that the only person to actually approach us about our concerns and not dismiss us was Eoghan Healy, the person that was elected as Comms officer.

Advertisement