Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf with blood in dung

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

snowman707 wrote: »
    it says this product can not be purchased:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

I bought Kilcox Extra last month, €55 for 5L. I had to ring the Kilcox sales contact on the website to find out where I could get it from locally, as the co-op didn't have it. It deals with coccidiosis - at least that's what it says on the label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bluebelle

theroad wrote: »
    I bought Kilcox Extra last month, €55 for 5L. I had to ring the Kilcox sales contact on the website to find out where I could get it from locally, as the co-op didn't have it. It deals with coccidiosis - at least that's what it says on the label.

Will it kill Cryptosporiduim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

Bluebelle wrote: »
    Will it kill Cryptosporiduim ?

I don't know, but Wikipedia says that Cryptosporidium belongs to the class of coccidian protozoan parasites. Crypto forms oocytes, so I guess it does. But I'm just some random bloke on the internet, better ask your vet.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Definately coccidosis. Fair annoying. Just wonderin bout the suphur powders. Anyone know do i give it once or twice a day and in water or milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Sulphadimidine Sodium - made by Bimeda

Indications
    For the treatment of infections caused by micro-organisms (both bacteria and coccidia) susceptible to sulphadimidine

Treatments
    Calves - 100mg per kg bodyweight with dosage interval of 12-24 hours during 3-5 days

They go mad for the thirst after giving it, so let them drink a cow or whatever straight away. I did a yearling with them once. Mad the way it drank a bucket of water right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

So will i give them water or milk maybe after dosing them with it? Was afraid that might negate the fact that i gave it to them.

barryoc1 wrote: »
    So will i give them water or milk maybe after dosing them with it? Was afraid that might negate the fact that i gave it to them.
    It doesn't say on the Powder Sachet. I gave mine to suckler calves. I didn't take them off the cow. It will clear it up very quickly too, in a day or two.
    For bucket fed calves - I'd say it's ok to feed them milk as normal, after dosing.cant say for sure though. Maybe somebody else knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

barryoc1 wrote: »
    Definately coccidosis. Fair annoying. Just wonderin bout the suphur powders. Anyone know do i give it once or twice a day and in water or milk?

I used a lot of these over the years and I always dosed it in a dosing syringe (60ml) down the hatch. First dose: A full pack. Half a pack then daily for the next 4 days.
    I'm not telling you its the correct dosage, but thats how I do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

if the calf has coccidiosis / crypto... he needs energy to get over it/ fight it ... so i would give it a lectade or similar for one of the feeds during the day, thats what my vet tells me anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bluebelle

theroad wrote: »
    I don't know, but Wikipedia says that Cryptosporidium belongs to the class of coccidian protozoan parasites. Crypto forms oocytes, so I guess it does. But I'm just some random bloke on the internet, better ask your vet.:D

Thanks for info.
    I called the Lab today. Said they would call me back. Didn't.

Just to let you know!
    I got 1 Lt of Vecoxan from www.megentadirect.ie for €111 delivered in 3 days.
    The place I normally buy veterinary stuff didn't have it.

Advertisement