Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf with blood in dung

Options
  • 08-03-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I noticed one of my calves had some blood in its dung yesterday evening. Calf is about 2 weeks old. Dosed him with Vecoxan to prevent coccidosis when he was a few days old. He doesnt seem to be sick. In good form, drinkin fine etc. The dung is not too solid and not too watery, pretty happy that he is regular enough. Anyone got any ideas what it might be? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

barryoc1 wrote: »
    I noticed one of my calves had a blood in its dung yesterday evening. Calf is about 2 weeks old. Dosed him with Vecoxan to prevent coccidosis when he was a few days old. He doesnt seem to be sick. In good form, drinkin fine etc. Anyone got any ideas what it might be? Thanks in advance

If I see blood, I call the vet. Its possibly a blood scour and 2 weeks of age is a normal time for it to hit them. He may not show symptoms for 24 to 36 hours after you seeing the blood but the sooner he is treated the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Possibly cocccidiosis , nasty disease, Vecoxan is a product that is used, keep the calf hydrated

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Thanks Jeff but the thing is i did him with Vecoxan already. So hopin and thinkin it cant be. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

howdy... it is a waste of money doing with vecoxan before the calf is a week old , coccidiosis is something they meet they are not born with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

It doesnt say a minimum age on the leaflet or box, as far as i could see and he was a few days old when i did him. Was hopin the sooner i did him the better so none of them would get coccidosis. Had a few with it last year and i said never again.

• Advertisement

It doesnt say a minimum age on the leaflet or box, as far as i could see and he was a few days old when i did him. Was hopin the sooner i did him the better so none of them would get coccidosis. Had a few with it last year and i said never again.
    i have been there done that do them all at one week then do them again about 10 days later.... you live and learn... some calves get a third shot ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

generally speaking i find they are usually a month or more before they get it, unfortunately i find dosing them early will not be enough to prevent them getting it later on either, absolute bastard of a disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Sounds like cocccidiosis alright.

The last time a calve had that, I did them just with the Sulphur Powders. They worked fine.
    Nasty disease alright. They pass part of the stomach lining aswell.

I suspect they pick it up from dirty sheds, water troughs etc but I dont know for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Does sound like Coccidiosis.
    Some of the previous posts are very familiar to me, I too notice it usually in calves over 3 or 4 weeks. It used to respond well to Sulpha No.2 powder, but last year nearly all our calves got a touch at some stage, and needed repeated doses of Vecoxan.
    We don't seem to have any of it about this year.
    I was told only yesterday that there is a new dose available, I wonder did anyone hear?
    If he aint responding you might need to be thinking of other ailments!

oocide disenfectant kills it , its a 2 part disenfectant ... clean out sheds , power wash and disenfect , mi8ght be too late for this year now though

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Does sound like Coccidiosis.
    Some of the previous posts are very familiar to me, I too notice it usually in calves over 3 or 4 weeks. It used to respond well to Sulpha No.2 powder, but last year nearly all our calves got a touch at some stage, and needed repeated doses of Vecoxan.
    We don't seem to have any of it about this year.
    I was told only yesterday that there is a new dose available, I wonder did anyone hear?
    If he aint responding you might need to be thinking of other ailments!

hmm its not the same as my ones now, they only show blood if its fairly advanced I think, in my case anyway i notice the calves backsides getting very dirty, they have a brown colored scour almost,ver bad smell too, if you dose with vexcoxan its usually gone in about 3 days but if you leave it off thats when you see a bit of blood staining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

hmm its not the same as my ones now, they only show blood if its fairly advanced I think, in my case anyway i notice the calves backsides getting very dirty, they have a brown colored scour almost,ver bad smell too, if you dose with vexcoxan its usually gone in about 3 days but if you leave it off thats when you see a bit of blood staining

I would agree.
    Last year it seemed to get a bit of a hold on us to the extent that we were dosing all calves, even those showing no symptoms.
    It knocks back thrive in calves to hell too.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I would agree.
    Last year it seemed to get a bit of a hold on us to the extent that we were dosing all calves, even those showing no symptoms.
    It knocks back thrive in calves to hell too.

ya i had very strong calves that picked it up again during the summer, i read somewhere recently that if you notice one calf with it you are as well to dose all other calves even if showing no signs, i think i read that on the web somewhere anyway, gave my sheds a good clean this year and no good, will be trying that stuff whelan suggested this year if i can get it

i clean the sheds out every 2 weeks , powerwash and disenfect with the oocide , i hate to see a bulid up of dung ....yup the first sign is a dirty backside

This backs up what Whelan1 said. It's in relation to sheep, same disease, I guess. Wrong disenfectant can make the matter worst.

"Only two disinfectants, Stalloson F and Oocide, are effective against coccidia. Spraying with Formalin solutions makes the coccidia worse as it kills other bugs leaving more room for coccidia."

From
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2003/1108/farmmanagement/sheep/feature.shtml

pakalasa wrote: »
    This backs up what Whelan1 said. It's in relation to sheep, same disease, I guess. Wrong disenfectant can make the matter worst.

"Only two disinfectants, Stalloson F and Oocide, are effective against coccidia. Spraying with Formalin solutions makes the coccidia worse as it kills other bugs leaving more room for coccidia."

From
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2003/1108/farmmanagement/sheep/feature.shtml
    knew i was right:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

2 weeks looks very young for Coccidiosis, unless he is at a very early stage

is he staining when passing dung or afterwards

calves can pass blood for more reasons, I would try him on some sulpha powders and maybe something like Noroclav and make sure he takes plenty of fluids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I usually give Synulox tablets for blood scour as you described

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

snowman707 wrote: »
    2 weeks looks very young for Coccidiosis, unless he is at a very early stage

is he staining when passing dung or afterwards

calves can pass blood for more reasons, I would try him on some sulpha powders and maybe something like Noroclav and make sure he takes plenty of fluids

Yea coccidiosis symptoms usually dosn't appear until after 18/21 days as this is the lifecycle from ingestion to been passed out the other end, saying that harm has been done to the lining of the gut at that stage, as a rule of tumb and a wealth of experience dealing with it i dose all calves with veccoxan when they reach 3weeks and i repeat the dose 6weeks later as this breaks the cycle, going in before this i find it is hit and miss so this works for me.

calves can pass blood in their dung and then clear up, but if it persists i always recommend taking a sample (your vet should have a kit to test it), keep them on the milk, and electrolytes and the calf should recover. if the test shows Rotavirus, coronavirus or e coli (very young calves) antibiotics are a must.

Guys,
    Anybody mind checking what the dosage rate is for Vecoxan?
    Typically what would it be for for say a 60 Kg Calve?
    What price is a Litre of it?

I'm gonna dose mine with it this year. I've had calves with it every year, so prevention better than cure and all that!

• Advertisement

20 ml dose per calf , its around 100 euro per litre ... i once bought the 2,5 litre carton but oh drove over it with tractor:mad: so only buy 1 litre back now:rolleyes:

pakalasa wrote: »
    Guys,
    Anybody mind checking what the dosage rate is for Vecoxan?
    Typically what would it be for for say a 60 Kg Calve?
    What price is a Litre of it?

I'm gonna dose mine with it this year. I've had calves with it every year, so prevention better than cure and all that!

30mls for a 75kg calf (1ml/2.5kg), I was told recently by a vet 40mls/calf regardless of size?. i'm purchasing it at €220/2.5ltrs.

Thanks guys, that was quick!

the lid of the vecoxan hold exactly 20ml , so i fill the lid and suck it in to dosing syringe ;)

Ask for a free gun, i get one every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bluebelle

Where can one get Oocide?

Bluebelle wrote: »
    Where can one get Oocide?
    i get it off my vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

any up date on the calf barry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bluebelle

whelan1 wrote: »
    i get it off my vet

Thanks for reply.

My Vet told me I could get it in the Coop. They said it is no longer available. Will try somewhere else, mind you alot of the websites also say product is not available.

• Advertisement

well i got it a few weeks ago , it comes in 2 buckets

Advertisement