Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Discos/Clubs/Pubs/Venues you remember from your 'Heyday'

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

cordub wrote: »
    the star roller disco , peekers in dun laoire , jaggers in fleet street, mangens in cork. elroys and sidetrax in cork .:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Roller disco's - Jayus, that takes me back !!!!!!! :o:o:) What we did for entertainment back in the early 80's !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Another one from Cork here: 80's

CLUBS:
    Spiders
    Coco's
    Zowies
    Squires
    Sables

MUSIC VENUE:
    Sir. Henry's

PUBS:
    The Pitz
    The Gay Future
    Redz
    Slicks

And on occasional trips to the Big Smoke aka Dublin - The Pink Elephant and whatever dens you'd fall into on Leeson Street.

Aaahhhhhh memories..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bartley Dunnes
    McGonagles

I love you. :)

The song Atomic by Blondie always makes me think of Bartleys for some reason. Do you remember the doorman - Dicey (?). I loved that pub and also the William Tell across the road.

For those who don't know, Break for the Border is on the site of Bartleys now; The Hairy Lemon on the site of William Tell.

I loved McGonagales too. There were a few great clubs there at the end of the 80s: Soul On Ice and Club Voodoo.

Also Sides on Dame Street and the Olympic Ballroom.
    psni wrote: »
    The Apartment... anyone?

Jaysus. Haven't thought of there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Went to Saints in Howth on a much too regular basis!! It turned into Good Time Charlies then but never went there then.

Went to the Grove once but why would I go to a place with no booze when Saints and Tamangos let me in?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

Mid 50's
    morrisini Whelans on Henry St to learn to dance
    The Green Lounge to jive
    cyms Fairview !st one to R & R
    Royella ( CIE Club ) on Saturdays ( my 1st date with my now wife )
    Oulten Rd Tennis club
    Clontarf rugby club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Started of with a few in the Tudor Rooms and then to "The Tube"
    Promoted then to:
    Belvo rugby club
    The End
    Bad Bobs
    Leggs

Those were the Days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    Started of with a few in the Tudor Rooms and then to "The Tube"
    Promoted then to:
    Belvo rugby club
    The End
    Bad Bobs
    Leggs

Those were the Days :)
    i worked one time in the pub/restaurant that eventually became bad bobs backstage . phil lynott died and the space shuttle disaster happened while i was there, that era. it was owned by two ex Ireland international rugby players. brothers. i cant remember their names. scuzzbags just closed up one day, no notice no prsi or tax paid, nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

anewme wrote: »
    where would you leave The Blue Bannana in Clondalkin.

The biggest dive ever!!
    Swear to God I had my hair searched one night going in there :confused: i mean what exactly did they think they were going to find there?
    OldGoat wrote: »
    the really crappy food the clubs would produce just to get their late drink license.

Don't knock it........ when I first moved out of home it fed me and the girls on many a night, esp the ladies free nights in Club Nassau when we would get all the chicken curry vouchers off the lads and fill our faces :)

Loved Bruxelles Bartleys and then onto McGonagles on a Saturday night,those were the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

carolmon wrote: »

Loved Bruxelles Bartleys and then onto McGonagles on a Saturday night,those were the days.

Spending your money on more crap wine or Ritz or walking all the way home to Tallaght. The eternal McGonagles dilemma... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Older sister went to the Grove and Rosminnie (spelling), the school dances held no appeal for me so I headed straight into town on the bus to Baggot Inn (Maggot Bin as we called it). The live gigs were in a dungeon like room at the back and you had to queue in an alley to enter that area and pay the cover charge. It was a mouldy dive but to me the live bands were a whole new world. I thought I was an alternative rocker/punkette so did not do the disco scene until I was in my 20's. I lived in Dublin & UK during that time in my life so lots of venues and the memories meld at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Waterford here.. all went to small village Kill to the teenage disco there in the local community centre, a very apt name as the place was like Beruit, running battles, buses being stoned etc.. ahh I miss my youth!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

I grew up in North Dublin, so these are all Dublin ones;

The Source
    Bartley Dunnes
    The Flowing tide
    Brussels
    Upstairs in The Plough (forget the name)
    McGonagles
    Judge Roy Beans
    The Rock Garden
    The Clarenden

My favourite of all The Grove (Raheny the one and only!)

All of the above except the Grove, heard it was great.
    The Flowing tide down stairs in the Neptune.
    Upstairs in the Plough in the late 80's turned in to a restaurant called Jammet's then Smiley Bolger (Thin Lizzy) had live bands there.
    Judge Roy beans when it was The Bernie Inn and Max down the back later on the night. Remember everyone finish your drinks, move outside, form a line to get back in after 10pm, thats £3 please to get back in.
    Then down to the Lincoln or the Ginger Man.
    Bubbles
    Lord Johns
    TV Club
    Sides
    William tell
    The Long Hall
    Blacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

merlie wrote: »
    I used to go disco dancing at Rumours with some friends. I had a love/hate thing with the place. It was great for the music but we used to go in on a Wednesday, which was Ladies night, so we could have a night out for free ( money was tight then too ) but the guys had to pay to get in. I hated the way the dance floor was designed, it reminded me nothing more than a cattle ring and all the lads eyeing up the girls. It was always like the lads wanted to make it worth their while for paying in. I seen some goings on in the place lol!

A pub on Eden Quay back in the 80's. It was then part of a hotel, I think.

Then there was Bubbles Disco in a Lane way off Fleet Street. Also Sloopy's Disco!

Where the QBar is now in D'Olier Street., there used to be a disco pub there back in the 80's. Went there once but the dance floor was really tiny. Any one recall the name of the place?

Eden Quay Daly's with Stingfellows Nite club downstairs or next door the Clifton Court.
    Q Bar was The Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

nesbitt wrote: »
    Older sister went to the Grove and Rosminnie (spelling), the school dances held no appeal for me so I headed straight into town on the bus to Baggot Inn (Maggot Bin as we called it). The live gigs were in a dungeon like room at the back and you had to queue in an alley to enter that area and pay the cover charge. It was a mouldy dive but to me the live bands were a whole new world. I thought I was an alternative rocker/punkette so did not do the disco scene until I was in my 20's. I lived in Dublin & UK during that time in my life so lots of venues and the memories meld at this stage.

Full Circle in Baggott every Saturday Night was the dog's twitcher!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sandra.c

Upstairs in the plough was just the plough I thought? The Grove was my second home. There's a Grove FB page if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sid 1984

Horse & Tram Eden Quay
    Cardy Marina Balbriggan
    Coast Inn Skerries (still there I think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Brewsters in Lahinch, disco bar downstairs nightclub upstairs. Heaving upstairs and just one exit down the stairs. Health and safety didn't bother us. Hair, the bigger the better, full of mousse under the hand drier upside down for a minute and good to go. Nice stroll down the prom if you met a lad or needed to puke lol. Fab Vinnie and other Radio 2 DJ's doing discos in the ballroom in Lahinch for the youngsters. Gorgeous long Summer nights, best years of my life

Advertisement