Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Discos/Clubs/Pubs/Venues you remember from your 'Heyday'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I also went to Vixens, and buying pints of "Molloys Ale" for £1.10 total muck :p And the girls were drinking bottles of Ritz and if I had enough out of my wages Id be drinking Furztenberg (forgive my spelling). I just about remember the one time I did go to Rumours holy christ your right totally freeked out at the people there.
    I think Blinkers became Club91 but I stand to be corrected. As for the Blue Banana..............Rough wasnt the word anytime we were there, there was a row. I recall the long walk back to Tallaght as the taxi's wont go there.
    The Spawell in Templeouge? what was that nightclub called? very strange memories of a very bad meal, If you remember the meals? that we got there, jesus I can still taste it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ha ha remember the Furstenburg!

And I was a Ritz woman myself!

Remember the food in the Spa Well. I think I recall getting sausages and chips. The other choice was curry and rice if I remember correctly. We ate it anyway - we were well on so did not taste it and probably sick after it , but down the hatch mixed with the Ritz.

I am not sure if the nightclub in the Spawell had a name, we always just called it the Spa Well.

Ah memories.........

The nightclub was called Cloud 9, And your right about the sausage and chips dreadful. I was chatting to a friend today about "Bobs Van" in Bolbrook Tallaght which was the only shop in the local area....happy days. Pop rock, fizzle sticks, and those happy days of Green Sheild Stamps. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭timbel

one of the first pubs in Dublin I went to was the South William, close to the William Tell. I think its a Cafe Moka (Sp) now, or was recently.

£1 bottles of Classic cider - Bolton Street "ID".
    I'd say there was nobody over 16 in the place besides the staff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

anewme wrote: »
    And I was a Ritz woman myself!

Ah yes, Ritz. I was never bothered about drinking until someone handed me a Ritz.
    T'was all down hill from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think Blinkers became Club91 but I stand to be corrected.

Close, it became Club92. Spent many nights there, a mate's parents owned the bar and catering franchises. We used to get in for nothing and then get a few free drinks and a feed (because clubs had to provide a meal then) sneaked to us. I never particularly liked the place, but you couldn't pass up freebies like that when you were 18 or 19. The other place we'd go to sometimes was Racy Nights, above the Leopardstown Inn. Later became Cleos and had an Egyptian theme, iirc. Then it burnt down.

I also remember Peekers, complete and utter pit of a place. My old work crowd used to go there when we wanted a late drink after the pub closed. We'd end up in a fleet of taxis down to the place.

Hollywood Nights in Stillorgan used to be split into three parts at one stage, Flamingos, Peppermint Garden and Coconut Grove. Flamingos was the nightclub part, can't remember what the other two were supposed to be. One might have been a cocktail bar or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Tis sad indeed ... first visit to Dublin was when I was 30. The excitement of getting there was only matched by the excitement I felt when the Gardai had me up against a wall.:eek:

But I was so happy to be there in the first place it didn't matter that they had some kind of sub machine gun in me ear.:eek:

And when it was time to go home all kinds of decent friendly people made sure I was back on the ferry.... and ensured I didn't sneak back off it again :D

But the Nightclub I remember from my wild youth days (wild????) anyway the big club back then was the Top Rank in Liverpool city centre, I soon managed to start going to Dino's a small dark place where sweaty bodies were crushed together;)

Then there was and still is the Grafton Rooms and the old "Grab a Granny" nights. (Odd it was almost always the grannies grabbing me, and I only wanted a dance and a beer.):o

Then there was the Flying Club in a converted house (not really converted very well to be honest) I went there thinking it was all about aircraft.. Hellfire and buckets of blood.... it was for Pigeon Fanciers. But it became just about the only place I ever went drinking with me dad. I was so proud the first time I drank him off his stool. Must be a man thing:)

There were other clubs in other towns but they were secondary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

In Ennis, the New Hall Ballroom or ' Paddy Con's ' as it was known locally was the best place. There was the main ballroom for the showbands and a smaller hall upstairs for the ceili. In the 1980s, it was renamed the Jet Club. There was also a cinema nearby - The Burren Cinema. There were always chip vans parked along Station Road on the nights of dances. One could go and see a film and then go to the dance and finish up with a bag of chips! Those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Clareboy wrote: »
    In Ennis, the New Hall Ballroom or ' Paddy Con's ' as it was known locally was the best place. There was the main ballroom for the showbands and a smaller hall upstairs for the ceili. In the 1980s, it was renamed the Jet Club. There was also a cinema nearby - The Burren Cinema. There were always chip vans parked along Station Road on the nights of dances. One could go and see a film and then go to the dance and finish up with a bag of chips! Those were the days!

Id forgotten about the Jet Club :D. Great times!

Zaph wrote: »
    Close, it became Club92.
    Yea thats it. I remember the name of the the other club Racy Nights but sadly I never frequented the place. I do remember a door man "Selling" black socks for a fiver to you if you had white sock on which was always a no no, in the Belgard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Started off with the Freshford hop, went on to GAA Club discos, Rugby Club discos, dance halls all round Ireland (loved Tweed and The Memories and even Dickie Rock), then hotel nightclubs like The Clonmel Arms and Hayes Hotel (Thurles). We could only afford the money to pay in, never had enough to buy a real drink let alone a Coke and I can remember dancing around white handbags in white stilettos. :D Grease was the thing! I had electric blue satin drainpipes and none of my jeans would do up while I was on my feet - had to lie down and stick a clothes hanger into the zip to pull them up. Before that, walking home from Barrowland in New Ross in the pouring rain and my flares wet up to the thighs from the pouring rain. Heading out to dances in dance halls at the middle of nowhere crossroads and hoping to god you'd get a lift home and wouldn't have to walk the three miles or back to town in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

humberklog wrote: »
    The Ivy Rooms (and La Mirage downstairs). Celebrated my 15th birthday in there and don't think I left for 3 years.

Suffolk Lounge...clebrated my 18th in there and didn't leave for about 2years:pac:.

Then I went to Grogan's and still haven't left.
    Ah........La mirage,what a ****hole but then again at 18 we thought it was paradise, bubbles graduated to the apartments then tara club then the big step up to rumours....and if you were good looking that gaf just off georges st that never sold guiness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Started out with the Grove, graduated on to the Rugby Clubs (Clontarf, Suttonians, Wesley, etc) then to the excellent Bruxelles. After that things are a little vague!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Man I'm 19 and i shudder at the day I'm naming the clubs I visited in my "Heyday"...I dont wanna get old ha!!

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Man I'm 19 and i shudder at the day I'm naming the clubs I visited in my "Heyday"...I dont wanna get old ha!!

I have a magic potion... it's expensive but worth it. Can I interest you in purchasing some. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Talk to anyone under the age of 16 and you'll find that you already ARE old. Old is subjective. I'm willing to bet that you occasionally reminise about things you did with your friends when you were younger, games you played, your first consol, your first mobile phone, your first year in secondary school.

Meanwhile, kinda back on topic - do ye remember being timid when passing the bouncers doormen incase they would knock you back? Or the really crappy food the clubs would produce just to get their late drink license.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Or the really crappy food the clubs would produce just to get their late drink license.

Chicken and chips in a plastic basket. Nobody ever ate it that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Chicken and chips in a plastic basket. Nobody ever ate it that I can remember.

Wasn't only the basket that was plastic. I can still taste the chicken they used to serve at the Unyoke after 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I dread to think how many of us were turned off curry forever after having our first taste of it in those clubs.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Whynotme

The 'Court, Killiney Court, Jesters, Porter House in Dun Laoghaire.... Blinkers. First time I was refused in the Porter House was on my 18th birthday, my sis, 16 got served and they wouldn't serve me cos I was underage.

Rumours, spent the last part of my wedding night there....sad. Maybe it was foretelling of years to come! Lol.

Remember Peekers well, well remember bits....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

The dungeon in Beleek castle in Ballina co mayo was a ledgend place.
    Hothouse, pearls, tingles, knights, the enterance, cocktails, mollys, longnecks, fond memories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

The Oval
    The Fleet
    Sides
    The Apartment
    The Hitchin Post, Leixlip *
    The Spa Hotel, Lucan
    The Garda Boat Club, Island Bridge

*I remember those meals they used to hand out, I used to run in horror as the lads ate what looked like week old bacon, cabbage & potatoes swimming in water served regularly in the Hitchin Post, I don't think they ever served chips it was all carvery style dinners drowned in gravy or parsley sauce. Yuck! The club stank once they opened the kitchen doors up. Getting everyone in the gang past the bouncers was part of the excitement. Great times for 17 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

I remember ending up in "Tophers" a few times,
    when we used to go to Brittas Bay for a week-ends camping.
    I think it was just a cottage converted into a night club of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The Garda Club- like a big culchie barn dance.
    Club Nassau.....ah the memories
    RIOs, Bucks, Leggs on Lesson St followed by food in Manhattans
    Went to The Nurses Dance once.....too many nurses though (:confused:)

The End in Phoenix Park.......:D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ah the memories. As a Dublin northside lad I started going to the nightclub at the summit in Howth I forget the name now, then moved onto Goodtime Charlies, what a great venue that was, then from there I tried my luck in Tamango's but it was hit and miss so never developed a love for the place, then into town to the The Harp bar, maybe it was because I was young but I loved that place and then the odd trip up O'Connell street to McGraths. Good times. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Started off with the Freshford hop, went on to GAA Club discos, Rugby Club discos, dance halls all round Ireland (loved Tweed and The Memories and even Dickie Rock), then hotel nightclubs like The Clonmel Arms and Hayes Hotel (Thurles). We could only afford the money to pay in, never had enough to buy a real drink let alone a Coke and I can remember dancing around white handbags in white stilettos. :D Grease was the thing! I had electric blue satin drainpipes and none of my jeans would do up while I was on my feet - had to lie down and stick a clothes hanger into the zip to pull them up. Before that, walking home from Barrowland in New Ross in the pouring rain and my flares wet up to the thighs from the pouring rain. Heading out to dances in dance halls at the middle of nowhere crossroads and hoping to god you'd get a lift home and wouldn't have to walk the three miles or back to town in the dark.
    1981 my first time in the door of hayes disco in thurles i was 16 it was brilliant the bar was more or less large bottles only and the lights came on every 20 minutes or so for the bouncers to settle a fight on the dancefloor. leaving in your coat to the cloakroom and trying to mind your cloakroom ticket for the rest of the night. supper-time a door would open at the back of the hall and the chicken baked beans and mashed potatoes would be dolled out. by the following summer they had an ice machine and a video disco. it was like feckin las vegas. 5 song slow sets trying not to get pregnant. fellas asking you "do ya wanta stay on?"out at 2am and messing around the Square. into joey kavanaghs for a sausage and chips "do you want it coated?!?! great days....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OldGoat wrote: »

Meanwhile, kinda back on topic - do ye remember being timid when passing the bouncers doormen incase they would knock you back? Or the really crappy food the clubs would produce just to get their late drink license.

I remember going arse over tit on a shepherds pie that somebody left on the floor in a nightclub, and I was wearing a beige skirt so it looked like I either fell in or sat on shiite. Morto.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

I used to go disco dancing at Rumours with some friends. I had a love/hate thing with the place. It was great for the music but we used to go in on a Wednesday, which was Ladies night, so we could have a night out for free ( money was tight then too ) but the guys had to pay to get in. I hated the way the dance floor was designed, it reminded me nothing more than a cattle ring and all the lads eyeing up the girls. It was always like the lads wanted to make it worth their while for paying in. I seen some goings on in the place lol!

A pub on Eden Quay back in the 80's. It was then part of a hotel, I think.

Then there was Bubbles Disco in a Lane way off Fleet Street. Also Sloopy's Disco!

Where the QBar is now in D'Olier Street., there used to be a disco pub there back in the 80's. Went there once but the dance floor was really tiny. Any one recall the name of the place?

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    1981 my first time in the door of hayes disco in thurles i was 16

Ha! You may well have known my younger sister. I used to take her there in the early 80's. Were you a Presentation girl? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Ha! You may well have known my younger sister. I used to take her there in the early 80's. Were you a Presentation girl? :D
    absolutely presentation How did you guess?

Advertisement