Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows arrival 2011 (Was I seeing things???)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Up to a dozen on the Barrow this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Just seen my first swallow of 2011 at Cork (Railway Station) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

My first Swallows in Mayo today.
    Other reports from Mayo 12 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

The sand martins are back since Tuesday 5th, in Foxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Yep they are back ...spotted 2 on wednesday evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

One singing overhead this morning.

Did see a possible on 28th March, but it was very high and I couldn't rule out Sand Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Still no sign of mine yet. I first saw them on this day last year so I've been keeping my eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

saw my first swallows this morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

5 swallows overhead this morning high up, heard them first .

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Yesterday in Leabeg, Tullamore area approx 15 - 20 Sandmartins & about 5 - 9 Swallows.

img4943.jpg

The Sandmartins made these burrows/holes into the bank in the morning but then just disappeared, not a sign of them in the afternoon..

img4959j.jpg

• Advertisement

Saw my first two swallows today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Boomshakalak

2 arrived here in North Donegal on friday 8th April but haven`t seen them or any more since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

None here at the house yet but a lot at Lilliput near Mullingar on Thursday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Seen Swallows around Dublin Airport and Skerries today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

First swallow at the turn off for Limerick uni on the new motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Like the op I was amazed to see some swallows in Limerick yesterday it picked up my mood to see them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Mine arrived this morning!:D

Definately some of last years brood, they're swooping in and out of the boilerhouse where last years nest is - I wonder will they do running repairs or build a new one from scratch? They added an "extension" onto the original nest for the second clutch last year!

Great to see them back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Mine arrived this morning!:D

Definately some of last years brood, they're swooping in and out of the boilerhouse where last years nest is - I wonder will they do running repairs or build a new one from scratch? They added an "extension" onto the original nest for the second clutch last year!

Great to see them back!

Delighted for you. :)

I'm hoping 'ours' will come back after their absence last year and mite infested previous Summer.

May you have a great Summer enjoying your Swallows. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Swallows here in the Portnoo barn. They seem to be young ones, short tails. Do the young ones arrive first, in a hurry to stake a claim somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

'Mine' came back about 10 days ago. In and out of their usual spot in the old shed, I even painted it for them. Just hoping the cat doesn't bring the nest down like last year (despite my best efforts).

• Advertisement

Though I've seen very small numbers of swallows (ie singles here and there) they haven't arrived back in full force here yet.
    I read somewhere that the males arrive first and females two weeks later?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

littlebug wrote: »
    Though I've seen very small numbers of swallows (ie singles here and there) they haven't arrived back in full force here yet.
    I read somewhere that the males arrive first and females two weeks later?

Dunno, never heard that - but mine are definately a pair - swooping in and out and checking out the old nest - they usually do this for a few weeks then reuse or build. I've been checking it but they haven't "refurbished" it yet - there's a couple of feathers in it from last year.

Last year we went away for a week in mid May - when we left there was a few mud splatters on a light fitting that was attached to a beam - by the time we got back we had a full mud nest with one egg - and three more eggs followed in subsequent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Our housemartins arrived today :D:D

Loads of them nest in our estate and all our neigbours 'lodgers' arrived nearly 2 weeks ago. Last years nest came down during some bad weather during the winter, and i thought that our pair might have decided to build elsewhere.

But Lo and behold they arrived at last :D watchin them going back and forth for the last while with gobs full of mud.

There have been 3 yearly broods in our porch up until year before last when some of you may remember a mite infestation caused a disaster.

Last year they returned but didn't build - just curiously hung around quite a lot and perched on their usual camera wire in the porch.

Well, they have just returned again and are very vocal in the porch as I write.

Here's hoping ! I have 2 nest cups up too :)

Huge influx over the weekend in North Kildare.

I've had a pair or 2 checking out my place over the weekend. Hoping some will stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi,
    Tried positing earlier, don't know what happened. Hope it doesn't pop-up after I post again !:confused:
    Last year , late on in the season had our first swallows nest built between our living room and sun-room.( Very close to the living room wall vent.)
    Sadly the chicks hatched during that horrible month of rain we had in August, and they both died . Me and the kids gave them a proper burial , and were left waiting in hope for the parents return.
    Lo and behold, back they came in april, and a few days ago, after three weeks of listening to the excited chicks being fed, i was able to observe the chicks being called and coaxed from their nest by the parents. They are still flying around the house/ garden . Great to see.
    Will we get a second brood?
    W.

That's great mr.w :)
    Sadly I've none...as yet

You have time for a 2nd AND a 3rd brood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭lolie

Popped into the shed earlier to do a bit of work and was about to switch on the plug when i seen this pair. Thought feck it it can wait and left them to it.

159015.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Have pair in my garage, think they had 3 broods last year and another tweeting away as I type, if they keep returning I'll have to charge them rent!!:D

Advertisement