Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows arrival 2011 (Was I seeing things???)

Options
  • 07-03-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Okay, I was walking to the bus this morning, full of the joys of spring and to my surprise I saw what I really think was a swallow fly past me at eye level. The said bird disappeared into the park so I could not follow it visually. I could be mistaken but I was so sure of the call I forgot how early it is in March :confused:.

Any other good person here ever seen a swallow this early in Dublin?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well according to irishbirding.com there was one seen on Cape Clear on 20th Feb ! Last years recorded sightings started around about St Patricks day. I don't think its outside the realms of possibility for todays bird to have been a swallow but it's certainly early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Perhaps it was one of the overwintering ones? Sorry, but it's one of my pet hobby horses. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3336271/Climate-change-confuses-migrating-birds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Starling can look like a swallow in flight sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

E39MSport wrote: »
    Starling can look like a swallow in flight sometimes.

I don't think it was a starling. It was the colouring that made me make the call.

littlebug wrote: »
    Well according to irishbirding.com there was one seen on Cape Clear on 20th Feb ! Last years recorded sightings started around about St Patricks day. I don't think its outside the realms of possibility for todays bird to have been a swallow but it's certainly early!

I have heard of them being early on the south and south-east coastal areas. I will just have to keep me eyes peeled :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Was thinking about the swallows yesterday with the lovely spring weather.
    Hopefully mine will make it back to the outhouse where they raised two broods of 4 last year. The were very tolerable of all the comings and goings as it's where the dog sleeps and also the laundry room so always plenty of activity. Didn't seem to bother them one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Perhaps it was one of the overwintering ones? Sorry, but it's one of my pet hobby horses. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3336271/Climate-change-confuses-migrating-birds.html

I doubt any would have survived this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

One swallow doesn't make a summer and one failing to leave England hardly shows a trend of birds overwintering in Ireland?
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

maybe a sand martin. ?
    I saw them early last year but nothing this year yet.

There were swallow sightings recorded in Cork and Co Down over the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I seen one on Sunday morning flying up along the river Suir.

a few more days and I think we'll have lots of sightings. "Mine" didn't appear til April 8th last year but I'll be checking out a few other places nearby where I know they usually arrive a bit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

There's something about seeing the first one of the year. The feeling stays with me until the following year. Like a child waiting for Christmas right now :)

E39MSport wrote: »
    There's something about seeing the first one of the year. The feeling stays with me until the following year. Like a child waiting for Christmas right now :)

They are a special sighting. They mark the days getting longer and hopefully warmer.

Oh, and I had a definite sighting yesterday!! Along the canal at Suir Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

you can report your first sighting here
    http://www.springalive.net/en-ie
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

boneless wrote: »
    Oh, and I had a definite sighting yesterday!! Along the canal at Suir Bridge.

Are you definite it was a Swallow at Suir Bridge along Drimnagh Boneless?
    That would be exceptional as there don't seem to be many Swallow sightings north of Cork yet?
    I walk along the canal quite a bit but haven't managed to see one yet, lots of low, fast flying Starlings and common birds, but no Swallow as yet.
    There's a building where they nest and roost up near Blackhorse and I stayed watching for a while but nothing except a Feral pigeon.

Yep, 100% it was a swallow. I saw some more down near Leeson Street too. Possible that they just made it and are heading to traditional sites for them.

Where is the house on the canal where they nest MB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

boneless wrote: »

Where is the house on the canal
    If you walk along the canal up past Blackhorse there's a derelict building that's been promising to be a new apartments for a couple of years..
    In the 3rd or 4th floor windows, when the Swallows have arrived, they flit in and out of here constantly and sit along the electricity wires nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I thought I saw a housemartin yesterday in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Any recent swallow sightings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Just saw 2 or 3 flying around the house. One of them in and out of one of last years nest.
    great sight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Saw a few around Dunshaughlan, Co. Meath, yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

One lone swallow in Wicklow this morning!

I thought I saw a couple of familiar looking swooping shapes as I drove along near Galway this morning. Can't be sure but maybe ....:). No sign of "mine" yet. 8th April last year so hopefully it won't be long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Seen 2 a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

1 at Clontarf this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

1 Swallow along river Nanny today.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

saw a flock of swallows yesterday at Killard Point, County Down, so north- east coast.
    They were swooping and diving, great display.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

i Just saw one in donegal this morning around sheds on the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

its official, summer is here.!
    6698912C4A884C3CAAD9127EB8AB97D0-0000335208-0002251516-00800L-3B54BCACEF61498D9E8D36B956DB6BC4.jpg

terrible pic i know, but hey, hopefully there'll be more chances to get better ones!

Advertisement