Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Lane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Raleigh_chopper_01.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI1DWEp_4WwaYJMb0SDU3O72fC5iGaXVlSC0iBq-7cqNLd842q&t=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

MT USA was on from 2-5pm on Sundays if memory serves....probably one of the best programmes RTE ever produced...ever.....there was nothing like it on UK TV at the time- specially not for so long- 3 hours of music entertainment....unheard of....

Cicero wrote: »
    MT USA was on from 2-5pm on Sundays if memory serves....probably one of the best programmes RTE ever produced...ever.....there was nothing like it on UK TV at the time- specially not for so long- 3 hours of music entertainment....unheard of....

Yeah think that was the time.. It is mad to think that it was that show and the radio that kept us in touch/up to date with music..

No internet or youtube then :rolleyes:

Summer of 1985/1986 (can't remember which)...2FM did a series of gigs called "Lark in the Park"...did one on Stephens Green...remember Gerry Ryan on stage getting the crowd going and playing the Fine Young Cannibals...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Since I gave up (but think about them every day) here's a smoking ad from the sixties.

Note the "Thenk yew"

• Advertisement

Any of you remember Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at ya? :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I always thought that I'd end my days drinking Fursenburg and driving one of these...

BeachBuggy.jpg

But alas...Furstenburg was (rightly) ended and (unfortunately) the Beach Buggy went outta fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Summer of 1985/1986 (can't remember which)...2FM did a series of gigs called "Lark in the Park"...did one on Stephens Green...remember Gerry Ryan on stage getting the crowd going and playing the Fine Young Cannibals...

I was at that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Remember we had just gotten UK TV at home and we couldnt wait each Sunday for the BBC's Clothes Show with Jeff Banks & Co.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/clothesshow/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

foxinsox wrote: »
    Memory Lane - a mouldy old lane where things that we all once loved live.

{SNIPed videos, no real need to repost them. OldGoat}

Looks so stupid these days, but he was a very nice guy died a few years a go well before his time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

humberklog wrote: »
    I always thought that I'd end my days drinking Fursenburg and driving one of these...

BeachBuggy.jpg

But alas...Furstenburg was (rightly) ended and (unfortunately) the Beach Buggy went outta fashion.

Fustenburg was my favorite beer in the 80's, when launched had an extra kick but reduced shortly later, should have bought shares in The Hole in the Wall those days. Why was it rightly ended?

Abi wrote: »

Watched it on TV....wasn't able to go that day....some good bands on...not a bad effort at all looking back...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Abi wrote: »

I was at the Lark in the Park out in Blackrock park around same time and remember seeing some bands playing on the day like Un Tua Nua ,The Lookalikes and Hothouse Flowers :)
    Remember they also they got the highest viewing figures at the time after showing the full length edition of Michael Jacksons ' Thriller ' video :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Latchy wrote: »
    I was at the Lark in the Park out in Blackrock park around same time and remember seeing some bands playing on the day like Un Tua Nua ,The Lookalikes and Hothouse Flowers :)

Remember they also they got the highest viewing figures at the time after showing the full length edition of Michael Jacksons ' Thriller ' video :)

They wouldn't show "Girls on film" by Duran Duran though.

Mind you nobody else would either.

cml387 wrote: »
    They wouldn't show "Girls on film" by Duran Duran though.

Mind you nobody else would either.
    Remember the issue over Frankie goes to Hollywoods 'Relax' song ...so 1980's

Latchy wrote: »

^ I was there too... we so defnitely must have met in a past life ;)

on topic... remember these?
    sherbert-fountain_167865t.jpg

^ I was there too... we so defnitely must have met in a past life ;)
    we must have being bumping shoulders to the music ;)
    Indeed ....I somehow always managed to spill mine everywere ,like a scene out of Al Pacinos 'Scarface ':D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

admit it

if ya saw one of these right now............youd have a bounce

ahh ya would :D

space-hopper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Raleigh_chopper_01.jpg

I had one of these

and remember these, surely this does not make me old?

:eek:

I'm starting to think my little cousin might be right about me.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

hey bbdbb i got mt friends two kids these last christmass!
    twas in a yesteryear type shop in the kildare outlet centre for all ye looking for cool ( inexpensive) presents!

sherbet dips...MMMMMMMM

gob stoppers.

gollibars

snorkel jackets

harringtons

must learn how to post pictures, if any one has a link...

• Advertisement

if you want to post a picture

open a second tab/page and find the picture you want

copy the url at the top of that page (ie the unique address on the web of that page)

when you then click to reply, use the normal post reply box not the quick one

if you look above that box you'll see a whole load of icons that do things to your text

click on the one like a postcard of some mountains and the sun, (8th from the right)

and now copy the url address into the box that pops up, make sure you delete the letters etc already in that box before you paste it)

then submit your post as normal :)

you are a gentleperson bbdbb, theres a drink in the bar for ya!

Harrington&FredPerry%20020.jpg

Harrington jackets like the one yer man's wearing above were the Dogs Ballax back then and they never really went out of fashion did they ?

nicely glossed over the ambiguity of gender issue there slave :D

but I thought the hairy chest and the deep voice gave it away ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

humberklog wrote: »

No1J wrote: »
    Fustenburg was my favorite beer in the 80's, when launched had an extra kick but reduced shortly later, should have bought shares in The Hole in the Wall those days. Why was it rightly ended?

Furstenburg hasn't gone away. I couldn't believe my eyes when saw it in Superquinn in Ashtown a couple of weeks ago. Now you can re-live your youth! :D

Raleigh_chopper_01.jpg

There was also the junior version without the gearstick, the Chipper.

chipper.jpg

BBDBB wrote: »
    nicely glossed over the ambiguity of gender issue there slave :D

but I thought the hairy chest and the deep voice gave it away ;)

one cannot be too careful under the watchful eye of she who must be undone obeyed!;)

Zaph wrote: »
    Furstenburg hasn't gone away. I couldn't believe my eyes when saw it in Superquinn in Ashtown a couple of weeks ago. Now you can re-live your youth! :D

firstinbed we used to call it as it was so potent! woeful hangovers off the stuff!

firstinbed we used to call it as it was so potent! woeful hangovers off the stuff!

Yeah, I can still remember what was probably the worst hangover I ever had after drinking it for the night. Never touched it again after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

I remember my father giving out like mad every Sunday afternoon when this was on and we couldn't watch it in peace till he went for his post-pub snooze. I loved the show, but then Nina (Nena?) and her "neunty neun red balloons " used to drive me mad because they played it every week and after 100 views I grew to hate it.

I also fondly remember from this era: army shirts which were unisex, desert boots, yassir arafat scarves,patchouli oil and duffle coats of brown or blue. I had a brown duffle coat that got mixed up with someone elses one night in the cloakroom of a disco (ah yes) and I was left with a larger size, which I wore for a year or more after, as I was stuck with it. The sleeve smelled vaguely of vomit, which I drenched with patchouli oil to smother the smell.

Advertisement