Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need urgent help with deciding UL accomadation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stevers

I lived in Kilmurry first year and would reccomend it.

PRO's: Close to college, plenty of first years, chance of a double bed (1 in 4) Good social spot. friendly staff (just dont annoy them too much!! :P)

CON's: Fridge was too small for 8 people...freezer was even smaller. Security is NOT as good as people think. My car got broken into parked DIRECTLY under a camera. I was told afterwards that it was a fake camera and it future to park it down further..was not impressed. But still wasn't their fault.

Also, from a food point of view, Plassey has a shop right beside it as well as a Chinese where as KM has no shop. We used to have the gap behind KM and walk down the fields to the lodge but that's closed now so one less thing to get excited about. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Hye guys does any one have an idea of where to start looking for accom off campus,such as in college court(which were hoping to get).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lovelabel

stevers wrote: »
    I lived in Kilmurry first year and would reccomend it.

PRO's: Close to college, plenty of first years, chance of a double bed (1 in 4) Good social spot. friendly staff (just dont annoy them too much!! :P)

CON's: Fridge was too small for 8 people...freezer was even smaller. Security is NOT as good as people think. My car got broken into parked DIRECTLY under a camera. I was told afterwards that it was a fake camera and it future to park it down further..was not impressed. But still wasn't their fault.

Also, from a food point of view, Plassey has a shop right beside it as well as a Chinese where as KM has no shop. We used to have the gap behind KM and walk down the fields to the lodge but that's closed now so one less thing to get excited about. :(

Our house was broken into rag week aswell and we were told the exact same thing, that the cameras were fake and there was nothing they were gonna do for us. A load of bollix really.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Does each room have their own shower or is it shared? :) or is it different for each of the sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

biggaman wrote: »
    Does each room have their own shower or is it shared? :) or is it different for each of the sites?

Plassey and Kilmurry have a shower to each floor in the apartments.

Thomond, Dromroe and Cappavilla all have en suite rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

After having rang the accomadation manager, she has suggested the cappavilla block seeing as I'm planning to study psychology next year, what do you guys recon? It seems that only Plassey and Kilmurry are being mentioned so far here for incoming first years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

biggaman wrote: »
    After having rang the accomadation manager, she has suggested the cappavilla block seeing as I'm planning to study psychology next year, what do you guys recon? It seems that only Plassey and Kilmurry are being mentioned so far here for incoming first years?

First years do go to Cappa but not as many as Kilmuray/Plassey. It's also a bit away from everything, it does have its own shop however

Doing Psychology would have little bearing on where you live really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 runamok80

the advise i got,,kilmurry best avoided. no fun at all. not anymore..
    more like a jail now manager is hard work,, its plassy every time cool place
    cool staff winner hands down any day....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Plassey and Kilmurry are pretty similar, I wouldn't fret over the small differences between the two houses. On the double bed luck, I never got one :( so no point banking your luck on that.
    Communities are fine, Plassey a little bit younger but mostly the same kind of people. Security a little bit more chilled with having friends over late, playing music etc than they were in Thomond/Dromroe. Kilmurry is a bit handier for walking distance, shorter to get to most places and right beside the sporting facilities if you're into that. Being able to leave the house at 8:45 and still make class on time instead of 8:30 was a pretty big selling point for me.

Big difference between living in Kilmurry and Thomond for me was the amount of interfering the management do. Regular notices on your fridge, a lot of knocks on your door with "Oh we're checking this", loads of attempts at community evenings that they say "are compulsory" but I never went to them anyway. Worst was one christmas break they mailed all our families photos of our kitchen which they obviously weren't happy with. It was messy but hardly in disrepair, teabag stains down the walls, some empty bottles lying around that kind of thing. Seemed like a bit of an unnecessary step to get parents involved when they hadn't even told us they were unhappy with the place.
    Thomond staff just leave you alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Is the internet in Plassey wireless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Togepi wrote: »
    Is the internet in Plassey wireless?

Nope, you need to use an ethernet cable which i presume is provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Nope, you need to use an ethernet cable which i presume is provided.

Ah okay, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Banks

Hi,

Lokking for accomodation for semester 2 as im only starting my masters now, what is The Cedars, Briarfield, Castletroy like or the Hawthorns?? Anyone know of any places to look for accomodation other than the UL SU page??

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

Look on rent.ie, daft.ie and even the student accomadation threads on here. Collegecourt estate would be ideal along with elm park both fairly close and allot cheaper than college housing. Just make sure you get a house with double glazing and can get upc..... some of the houses in collegecourt can be freezing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 runamok80

ya thats the kind of thing iv been hearing only lots of it. sounds like she needs to chill or be chilled, can she just walk in to your house anytime she likes arn't you the tannant??
    can she contact your parents without talking to you first. does she know your not 5
    thanks for all your help downlinz and be careful with the teabags..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skinacat

Downlinz wrote: »
    Plassey and Kilmurry are pretty similar, I wouldn't fret over the small differences between the two houses. On the double bed luck, I never got one :( so no point banking your luck on that.
    Communities are fine, Plassey a little bit younger but mostly the same kind of people. Security a little bit more chilled with having friends over late, playing music etc than they were in Thomond/Dromroe. Kilmurry is a bit handier for walking distance, shorter to get to most places and right beside the sporting facilities if you're into that. Being able to leave the house at 8:45 and still make class on time instead of 8:30 was a pretty big selling point for me.

Big difference between living in Kilmurry and Thomond for me was the amount of interfering the management do. Regular notices on your fridge, a lot of knocks on your door with "Oh we're checking this", loads of attempts at community evenings that they say "are compulsory" but I never went to them anyway. Worst was one christmas break they mailed all our families photos of our kitchen which they obviously weren't happy with. It was messy but hardly in disrepair, teabag stains down the walls, some empty bottles lying around that kind of thing. Seemed like a bit of an unnecessary step to get parents involved when they hadn't even told us they were unhappy with the place.
    Thomond staff just leave you alone.

my daughter stayed in kilmurry village last year and i have to say she loved it, but the only problem seems to be the common problem the atitude of the village manager towards her and her frends there is no need for it at all, it cost alot to stay there with out that nonsence
    this year she is in dromroe and has no such problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 whistlerblow16

Seloth wrote: »
    Plassy is unreal!I live one of the done up houses ^^.

Plassy is perfect if your a first year as everyone here is.

Kilmurry you can be doggy with,Its a **** hole compared too plassy but theres some good partys there.

I know of quite a few people who left kilmurry for plassy but I know plenty wyho never want to leave kilmurry as well.But have never heard of anyone move from plassy to Kil.

Security and the village manager(+RA) are all dead on as well.

but not so in kilmurry....

Advertisement