Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need urgent help with deciding UL accomadation

Options
  • 05-03-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

hey everyone, thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this subject.

basically im going to UL next year and i eed to book accomodation in the next few days.

what i want to know is: Plassey village/ 8 bedroom apartment is the cheapest accomodation on campus. how good is it? what is life their like? is it a good place to live in??

Also, im wondering which is cheaper, On or off campus accomodation? if you have lived in a good cheap off campus digs could you please mention what it was called..

Thanks again! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

off campus is way cheaper but you gotta sort your bills and stuff yourself

on campus is more expensive but everything is included

plassey is the oldest and dingiest of the on campus accomodation, kilmurry is alot better and not much more expensive and there is a chance you will get a double bed were there are only singles in plassey

kilmurry was also by far the best craic
    if your on a serious budget though off campus might be a better option there are plenty of cheap decent houses, just dont rent one were the landlord is a polish guy called aleks he is ****ing awful and runs about 12 hosues for a couple whos name i cant remember

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Does off campus still end up being cheaper even with the bills and everything else included?
    well due to the recession my only options that are feasible are the 8 bedroom in plassey or off campus..

ok thanks for the tip about the polish lad..

i dont suppose you know the average monthly rent is for a place off campus? even from what your friends have said?

GV_NRG wrote: »
    Does off campus still end up being cheaper even with the bills and everything else included?
    well due to the recession my only options that are feasible are the 8 bedroom in plassey or off campus..

ok thanks for the tip about the polish lad..

i dont suppose you know the average monthly rent is for a place off campus? even from what your friends have said?

my place this year is 60 a week for a double bed ensuite. i am behind brookfield though so its about a 20 min walk to college, it will be a little more expensive for a little less closer to the college, 4 of us add on 50 to our rent every month to pay for bills and that has been more then enough. if you work out on campus weekly it works out at around 100 a week for kilmurry and plassey and 120 a week for the most expensive places so i think off campus is still cheaper.

if you are going for off campus im sure you could get a really good deal in college court and it is effectively on campus

do you not end up spending more on bus fare etc because your living so far away from college though? ya that is true alrite..

do you know of any grants for accommodation no? thanks for your help by the way i really need it! :P

do you not end up spending more on bus fare etc because your living so far away from college though? ya that is true alrite..

do you know of any grants for accommodation no? thanks for your help by the way i really need it! :P

its a twenty minute walk max, if i leave my house at 8.40 ill be in class for 9 but if you really are that lazy then brookfield is 90 a week and has regular free busses

there are hundreds of houses a 5 min walk form the campus

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    its a twenty minute walk max, if i leave my house at 8.40 ill be in class for 9 but if you really are that lazy then brookfield is 90 a week and has regular free busses

there are hundreds of houses a 5 min walk form the campus

this might seem like a stupid question now but how come you didnt go for those houses instead?

And i jst thought of this now, did u get a grant? sorry if its too personal to ask..

this might seem like a stupid question now but how come you didnt go for those houses instead?

And i jst thought of this now, did u get a grant? sorry if its too personal to ask..

no grant for me

i lived in briarfield last year which is a 5/10 min walk from college and i lived on campus for first and second year. I wanted to live somewhere a little quieter and away from the madness for fourth year. also you get way more for your money if you get a little bit away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

PO your Plassey analysis is out of date. Half of the multi-million €uro redevelopment is complete and the other half is to be completed this summer. Considering there's only 61 houses that's quite substantial.

Dromroe is also due new furniture before September.

In first year you're as well off with Plassey as the costs don't change. If it gets cold in November and you're off campus your gas/oil costs will rocket.

I didnt know any renovation was happening so that changes things alright I must find a party to go to there so I can see what the new ones are like

op I would now say plassey is your best option, the craic of on campus in first year cant be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

For first year I would say go for Plassey. I'm livin there this year (old house though), way better craic in Plassey according to mates living in Kilmurry. You'll be better off living on campus for first year, be much easier to make friends. The new houses in Plassey are nice though, nicer than most of Kilmurry although they are smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

What are the newly refurbed plassey houses like? I've applied for it already!

Noel2k9 wrote: »

Nicer and more up to date than Kilmurry. Plasma tvs and the like. Some even have 2 freezers or fridges (can't remember which).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Massively comfortable couches! Many a fine night I've had on one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Plassy is unreal!I live one of the done up houses ^^.

Plassy is perfect if your a first year as everyone here is.

Kilmurry you can be doggy with,Its a **** hole compared too plassy but theres some good partys there.

I know of quite a few people who left kilmurry for plassy but I know plenty wyho never want to leave kilmurry as well.But have never heard of anyone move from plassy to Kil.

Security and the village manager(+RA) are all dead on as well.

Seloth wrote: »
    Plassy is unreal!I live one of the done up houses ^^.

I know of quite a few people who left kilmurry for plassy but I know plenty wyho never want to leave kilmurry as well.But have never heard of anyone move from plassy to Kil.

Security and the village manager(+RA) are all dead on as well.

ok lads thanks for all the help, ive decided to definetly go to plassey!!! :)

so from what ye are saying, by the time i get to ul this august, all of the plassry apartment will have been done up??

also seloth, what are the new ones like? what are the bedrooms like? and is it a pain sharing a fridge and freezer with 7 other people?

ok lads thanks for all the help, ive decided to definetly go to plassey!!! :)

so from what ye are saying, by the time i get to ul this august, all of the plassry apartment will have been done up??

also seloth, what are the new ones like? what are the bedrooms like? and is it a pain sharing a fridge and freezer with 7 other people?

They will be all done up. Bedrooms are small enough but cozy- has a sink, huge desk, spinny chair, bedside table, wardrobe and a large shelf. also internet connection in the room.

whats the internet speed like? :P

and how tight are security? what will they leave pass and what will they simply not allow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Amymoo

Hi GV_ NRG

Depends what you mean by what security will let pass. I live in plassey at the mo and have to say I love it. some ppl will complain that security are a pain, but when you're trying to get some sleep or want some unwanted randomers out of your house, they can be great.

if you want friends over, best thing to do, is just run it by rebecca (village manager) and sign them in....unless its charity week, she usually lets them stay....unless you want a stupid amount of ppl staying over!:D

I'm in a new house, its great. VERY comfy, lost of fridge / freezer space....love the couches and the flat screen tv. bedrooms are adequate, plenty of storage space and the sink area comes in handy. I know some ppl think 8 in one house is loads, and i kinda thought the same too when i was deciding to live there, but we're never all there at the same time and I'm lucky we all get on and share d cleaning etc....

so, I would recommend it highly! great craic, great managers and great friends! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Amymoo

oh forgot to say...if your plan is to go in there and just party the whole time, think again!

you might be better suited to colllege court / milford grange etc where you can pretty much do wot you wnat!

campus security take parties / anti social behaviour seriously, our neighbours chanced a large party once and it wasnt worth the hassle! lol! + manger can be scary!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Amymoo wrote: »
    Hi GV_ NRG

Depends what you mean by what security will let pass. I live in plassey at the mo and have to say I love it. some ppl will complain that security are a pain, but when you're trying to get some sleep or want some unwanted randomers out of your house, they can be great.

if you want friends over, best thing to do, is just run it by rebecca (village manager) and sign them in....unless its charity week, she usually lets them stay....unless you want a stupid amount of ppl staying over!:D

I'm in a new house, its great. VERY comfy, lost of fridge / freezer space....love the couches and the flat screen tv. bedrooms are adequate, plenty of storage space and the sink area comes in handy. I know some ppl think 8 in one house is loads, and i kinda thought the same too when i was deciding to live there, but we're never all there at the same time and I'm lucky we all get on and share d cleaning etc....

so, I would recommend it highly! great craic, great managers and great friends! :)

Is the fridge/freezer big enough for 8 people? :P

And is the internet fast? :)

• Advertisement

Is the fridge/freezer big enough for 8 people? :P

And is the internet fast? :)

The Sharing of the fridge and Freezer is grand.I've only had problems once or twice when the feezer was full but never more than that(Go the food shoved right in hah)

ANd yeah the internet i dead fast!.

Yeah as said all ready the rooms are cozy :L.

Amymoo wrote: »
    oh forgot to say...if your plan is to go in there and just party the whole time, think again!

you might be better suited to colllege court / milford grange etc where you can pretty much do wot you wnat!

campus security take parties / anti social behaviour seriously, our neighbours chanced a large party once and it wasnt worth the hassle! lol! + manger can be scary!:D

so no parties what so ever?? surely weer alowed drink ya?? :P
    Seloth wrote: »
    The Sharing of the fridge and Freezer is grand.I've only had problems once or twice when the feezer was full but never more than that(Go the food shoved right in hah)

ANd yeah the internet i dead fast!.

Yeah as said all ready the rooms are cozy :L.

is there a limit on the internet? and wat bout gas and electricity? like if you use alot dyu have to pay the rest of it like?

so no parties what so ever?? surely weer alowed drink ya?? :P
    As long as ya keep noise down they won't come into ya so you can have a party in that sense.
    is there a limit on the internet? and wat bout gas and electricity? like if you use alot dyu have to pay the rest of it like?

No limit on the internet but they do have p2p blocked so no torrents, sopcast, limewire etc, so it's a bit of a pain. You pay for a certain amount of electricity in your rental fees, if you go over this amount the outstanding amount is taken from your deposit.

ah bollox anyway.. ok thanks for clearing that uo anyway! plassey is lookin increasingly good now!!

Hah dude theres plenty of parties in plassy.

Just they wont last longer past half 10 as its 10 when guests arent allowed over but everyone heads to town then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Hey, I myself live about a 15min walk away from the Uni, currently a 6th year, there's obviously no real point in me moving out if I'm this close, but just wondering will this affect my chances of making new friends as I wont be going back to the student village after college each day where all the other students are? Or do you grow close to your class mates etc?

RHunce wrote: »
    Hey, I myself live about a 15min walk away from the Uni, currently a 6th year, there's obviously no real point in me moving out if I'm this close, but just wondering will this affect my chances of making new friends as I wont be going back to the student village after college each day where all the other students are? Or do you grow close to your class mates etc?

If you can afford to move out then do, you wont regret it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Caoimhe1993

Hey, I'm having the same issue. Don't know where to live, undecided between kilmurry and plassey, does anyone have photos of what the places look like other than the idealistic ones that the UL website shows ?

The website says kilmurry offers more comforts than plassey ? In what way ? Anyone who has lived in both would be greatly appreciated at this moment.

Oh and could anyone tell me if double beds are available in either or both ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 marywary

My sons in his 1st yr in UL & in Kilmury, have to say he loves it. I was pretty disappointed when I saw it last year but I'm not living there. Double bed in each room (8 bedroomed house), kitchen/living room communal, 4 beds down & 4 upstairs, toilets/showers downstairs & up. For the money paid nothing special, pretty dismal actually, but thats my opinion & he likes it. Gets on well with other housemates as far as I know and they all have a clean up whenever they receive notice that an inspection is coming. He's home most weekends & brings food bck with him & I've heard him mention that he can't bring too much frozen stuff coz the freezer might be full. His bedroom smelt terrible when he got there first day (musty) mind you prob worse now. He's made loads of friends & loves UL, he's now looking for accomodation for next year but wants to move out.

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm having the same issue. Don't know where to live, undecided between kilmurry and plassey, does anyone have photos of what the places look like other than the idealistic ones that the UL website shows ?

The website says kilmurry offers more comforts than plassey ? In what way ? Anyone who has lived in both would be greatly appreciated at this moment.

Oh and could anyone tell me if double beds are available in either or both ?

Plassey when it's all done up (this summer) will be nicer than kilmurry houses. However, no double beds in Plassey houses, but 1 or 2 in most houses in Kilmurry, pure luck if you get one. My opinion (slightly biased) is to go for plassey I would put my money on you having no regrets. Kilmurry is slightly closer to the college though.

Also the management in Plassey a great help, had a problem paying rent when it was due and they were very understanding, probably the same in all on campus accomadation but I don't know tbh fair play to them

Advertisement