Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII structures in Donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,570684,908085,7,5

I have placed the red x to the right of the OSI letters and to the left of the EIR. Pretty sure this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

yes you got it. Stands out clear as day now! Should have the number 74

see, that pic was twenty years ago. Sometimes black and white is clearer, a lot depends on the camerawork as well. Just looking at the LOP art project for Crohy and I reckon the stones are on the headland viewed out of the window, in the sidehots section.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator

Durnish wrote: »
    see, that pic was twenty years ago. Sometimes black and white is clearer, a lot depends on the camerawork as well. Just looking at the LOP art project for Crohy and I reckon the stones are on the headland viewed out of the window, in the sidehots section.

Had been looking for that on aerial photos for ages but never found it. That is located down below the small lookout tower in front of the old Crohy Hostel. Great find.

Here is the one in Arranmore out beside the lighthouse.
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,564861,918422,7,5

In the summer (?) I plan to go, with maybe a couple of visiting siblings, on a hunt for the Arranmore, Crohy and Bloody Foreland EIRE stones.

I should mention, in passing, that City of Uk Culture has a Battle of the Atlantic celebration thing going on over the weekend of the 10th May.
    Sad to say, they have advertised it with a warship in the harbour at Malta (rather than L'Derry).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Arranmore one is findable and legible, my dad/nephews went up there last summer. However, please do come spend some money on the island ;)

What could we buy? I did stay in the YH there many years ago but I don't expect it's still standing. Big pots of tea and good bacon sandwiches could open the wallets, flex the plastic etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The hostel is still present, just not as an An Oige hostel. After An Oige pulled out it went derelict (well, more derelict) but has been totally renovated: http://www.uniqueirishhostels.com/http:__www.uniqueirishhostels.com/Arranmore_Island_Hostel.html

There's two hotels, some pubs that do food and a restaurant to get food/spend cash in, all would be very much appreciated I imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Try this webmap for locations of military related Heritage in County Donegal.
    http://arc.donegal.ie/LocalViewWeb/Sites/MilitaryHeritage

Signal Towers
    Martello towers
    Forts
    Look out posts
    EIRE signs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

In the summer (?) I plan to go, with maybe a couple of visiting siblings, on a hunt for the Arranmore, Crohy and Bloody Foreland EIRE stones.

I should mention, in passing, that City of Uk Culture has a Battle of the Atlantic celebration thing going on over the weekend of the 10th May.
    Sad to say, they have advertised it with a warship in the harbour at Malta (rather than L'Derry).

I haven't added Crohy yet but http://eiremarkings.org/category/counties/donegal/ and http://eiremarkings.org/the-map/ might help you. Arranmore is quite clear and so is Bloody Foreland. You'll find either Bing or Google aerial photographs. I haven't added OSI yet as I want to talk to them first and also have plans to look at the LOP log books in the military archives. I just have not had time lately.

Crohy is now located on the map. Durnish - are you the person by any chance who left a comment on my site about this location lately - really appreciate it if it were you.

• Advertisement

Yes, that may have been me. I was bit mystified by your post, before you edited it, as I thought I had already posted the OSI view of the Crohy sign.

Good luck with the rest of the project.

The EIRE 71 stones on Slieve League are amazing. The car park ones are indistinct but the Carrigan Head ones, shown in the Coast clip, are brilliant. So big. Went and found them a couple of weeks ago.

On a related note, was at the WW2 Battle of Atlantic commemoration in Ebrington in Derry at the weekend and wondered if there was any similar plan to mark the amazing work of the LOP coast watchers in 70th anniversary of the tide turning in Battle of Atlantic. After all, the EIRE coast watchers maintained a 24 hour watch over the events for six years during WW2, or Emergency. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Wonder where 74 is on this map http://www.lookoutpost.com/geo/lop1/ ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

slimboyfat wrote: »

cool site--I didn't realise there was one up on Crohy.
    oh wait--thats number 74 and you've put a smiley in...hmmmmm-maybe it's not there anymore.I've seen and pictured the other lower tower many times

I liked the projection video

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

slimboyfat wrote: »
    I moved the above to this thread as it is more appropriate here

never mind---74 is still there--saw it today and don't know how I ever missed it

We found the Melmore Head EIRE 78 stones last week. Incredible. A great site and a job well done. We actually talked to the man who had helped to uncover and clean the stones. He was so pleased that we had come to find it.

Crohy (74) was also uncovered again by a group of locals at the end of last year, great to see it.

oh excellent news. I think I was the first to spot it on the old black and white 1995 OS overhead. Wonderful. When we went to look for it about this time last year all we could find was a few possible bits of old paint.

so what happened here--did termonator delete his post with the 2 pics from my friend ??

• Advertisement

Yes, just so there are no copyright issues. Will take some myself when out there again and post them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 angelclar

Calina wrote: »
    Hi Connaught.

I've scanned the area around Annagh Head several times now and I'm still not seeing evidence of the sign. I know you said it was sinking into the ground but I've tracked down a couple that are almost invisible on the area photographs so I'd like to find this if possible. I'll have another look for Roonagh but I suspect you're right about Kilcummin and Downpatrick.

Thanks a million for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Just letting you know the over growth ground is now removed around the sign Eire 64 at downpatrick head .

check out aercam on facebook to see

More news, I think I just found the EIRE stones for the Rossan Point Glencolumbcille LOP 72.
    I was using Bing maps to plan a route from Malinbeg to the back of Slieve League when I found EIRE stones plainly visible on the Rossarel Point headland south east of Tra Bane Malinbeg.

Here is the link to the OSI 1995 view.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,550277,879063,7,5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, I was reading the McGinley book (C19th) about the cliff coast of South West Donegal and he tells, in great detail, about the priest and the Spanish sailor. However, the Spaniard's Church is over on the other side of Glencolumcile in Faugher and is part of the Turas.

Did you look at the OSI pic? The EIRE marking is distinct and even more so on the Bing Maps aerial of Rossarel.

It would be really interesting to find the grave markings and the house in Glen Leahan as mentioned in McGinley's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Gosh, if you were there this weekend it would be great if you were able to photograph the spot! We were at Malinbeg in August, after the Heritage day talk on the Napoleonic Signal towers, and if I had known about this EIRE sign I would have treked over to it.

Every LOP had an EIRE sign and I had looked over the aerial maps for Rossan's one but I reckon this is it.

The Kennedy Neutral Ireland book gives the list of Volunteers who manned the LOP but I don't have it to hand (had to give it back to the library!) At Crohy Head last year the local Heritage officer, Hugh Boyle, had talked to some of the local men who remembered working on the LOP74 and the associated stones.
    EIRE 74 has now been uncovered, but without the number, as yet.

The T McKinley South West Donegal book mentions the actual ruin connected to the Spanish sailor on Leahan/Slieve League. He calls the valley Glen Leahan, the house as belonging to one Cahal O'Bynre at a place called Meenagirr.

Go on, fill in the rest of the story with a few pics, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

angelclar wrote: »
    Just letting you know the over growth ground is now removed around the sign Eire 64 at downpatrick head .

check out aercam on facebook to see

That's brilliant. It looks fabulous.
    More news, I think I just found the EIRE stones for the Rossan Point Glencolumbcille LOP 72.
    I was using Bing maps to plan a route from Malinbeg to the back of Slieve League when I found EIRE stones plainly visible on the Rossarel Point headland south east of Tra Bane Malinbeg.

Here is the link to the OSI 1995 view.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,550277,879063,7,5

I failed to find that one when I did the Donegal coast line so thanks a million for that.
    Gosh, if you were there this weekend it would be great if you were able to photograph the spot! We were at Malinbeg in August, after the Heritage day talk on the Napoleonic Signal towers, and if I had known about this EIRE sign I would have treked over to it.

Every LOP had an EIRE sign and I had looked over the aerial maps for Rossan's one but I reckon this is it.

The Kennedy Neutral Ireland book gives the list of Volunteers who manned the LOP but I don't have it to hand (had to give it back to the library!) At Crohy Head last year the local Heritage officer, Hugh Boyle, had talked to some of the local men who remembered working on the LOP74 and the associated stones.
    EIRE 74 has now been uncovered, but without the number, as yet.

The T McKinley South West Donegal book mentions the actual ruin connected to the Spanish sailor on Leahan/Slieve League. He calls the valley Glen Leahan, the house as belonging to one Cahal O'Bynre at a place called Meenagirr.

Go on, fill in the rest of the story with a few pics, please.

Some of the LOPs actually had two signs and they were a bit away from the LOP huts. I have plotted two on one of the Arann Islands; I believe there were 2 on Achill Island but only one was visible when I was looking for them. I've also been told one of the Cork locations had two as well but I haven't found the second one yet. This is separate to the issue that some of them had to be rebuilt because they were two small.

Michael Kennedy's book on Defending Neutral Ireland is fascinating too and if you're of a mind to go there, the military archives have some of the LOP log books. I've looked at the ones from Baltimore - they are fascinating in a lot of different ways.

I've also been sent a scan of a portion of the maps that had the LOP numbers plotted on them.

The site where I've stashed what I know of this is here: www.eiremarkings.org for anyone who is interested or might have additional information for me. It's due some updating (I've been extremely busy lately with some college related stuff so I have a line of updates to go).

I love the internet for stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mike in CT

The area at the western base of Slieve League is referenced in John (Sean) O'Neill's unpublished thesis on place names of Glencolumbkille and written Min na Gearach. Liam Ó Cuinneagáin at Oideas Gael has a copy of this document. The late Columba Ward of Carrick made a recording of a discussion with my great uncle of Meenaveen in the 60's and he did pronounce the area "Minagirr", as in McGinley's book.

The house of the sheep herder for the Malinbeg people is listed as #43 in the 1857 Griffith map listing of Malinbeg. This is the only house in Min Na Gearach on the 1857 Griffith map and the 1835 OS map. A great-great aunt lived in this house in the 1800's married to Dominick Doherty from Croughagh, Straleel North, Glencolumbkille.

I have some photos of the ruins, but for some reason can not post a link.

• Advertisement

I think I have to upload to Photobucket when I want to show pics. Thanks for all that info, Min CT.
    Is it possible to approach those ruins from the road on the Malinmore/Carrick side or is it a walk round from Malinbeg or nothing?

Advertisement