Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,127 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Which version is it, 180bhp or 225bhp? Quattro? Coupe or Convert? Prices will vary depending on which version it is.

How reliable it will be at 10 years old/100k miles will depend on it's service history so surely your mother being the owner, you are in the best position to know it's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

bazz26 wrote: »
    Which version is it, 180bhp or 225bhp? Quattro? Coupe or Convert? Prices will vary depending on which version it is.

How reliable it will be at 10 years old/100k miles will depend on it's service history so surely your mother being the owner, you are in the best position to know it's history.

It's the 180bhp Coupe.

Thanks for the tip re:service history - I'll have to quiz the old bird :)

Full service history and NCT till August as well...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Full service history and NCT till August as well...

Did she spend much on repairs or maintenance during the time she has owned it. If it's been relatively trouble free during that time then it could a good car to buy at that price. On the other hand I usually advise people against buying from relatives or friends as it can end up more hassle than it's worth.

Did she spend much on repairs or maintenance during the time she has owned it. If it's been relatively trouble free during that time then it could a good car to buy at that price. On the other hand I usually advise people against buying from relatives or friends as it can end up more hassle than it's worth.

She's had no issues with it at all.

I appreciate the advice and you're dead right to give it - I'll be going through the same steps I'd take with anyone else if I pull the trigger for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

keane2097 wrote: »
    She's had no issues with it at all.

I appreciate the advice and you're dead right to give it - I'll be going through the same steps I'd take with anyone else if I pull the trigger for sure!

I can't believe you just said that :eek:

You'd check out your mothers cars like a stranger's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

339847.jpg

Hey Folks,

The missus went looking at a Ka for me today. I could go and see it later on tonight but based on the photo above perhaps it's best to write it off? I know they can be prone to rust but how does the above look to you?

Run away as fast as you can.

37685310.jpeg

Run away as fast as you can.

That's what I had thought and I had already discounted it but it was a shame really as it looked ace.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-ka-nct-till-sept/8632797?offset=20

Fiestas and Kas of that vintage are notorious for rotting.

• Advertisement

Fiestas and Kas of that vintage are notorious for rotting.

Indeed, I had known that was their major flaw hence why I had asked the missus to have a look underneath.

Ah well, the search continues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What are your search critera?

Tbh you're nearly wasting your time looking at kas that old.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What are your search critera?

Tbh you're nearly wasting your time looking at kas that old.

Well Colm, I'm 37 (late bloomer) and only have a years named experience on the missus' policy- she drives a 320i so I don't think I can go too wild. For a first car I was thinking something up to a max of 1.6L as insurance may be pretty steep. Baring that in mind I was thinking a max budget for the car of €1600. It's mostly going to be used to get to the train station so it needs to be a petrol.
    If I'm looking at the wrong stuff I'm more than happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Haven't I been reading here that low price Yaris' like this are likely to be trashed as they hold their value well and you need to pay more to pick up a decent one? :)

Certainly from the photos that looks to be in great condition. Anything to look out for on them or are they reasonably bullet proof. I ask as it's fairly high mileage. Obviously need to check everything electrical works and that the screen displays A-OK.

That price is about right for a 1999 model though, it's 16 years old after all. I know pictures don't tell the whole story but it looks tidy enough. It would obviously still need to be checked by a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Great guide, but If you are buying from a reputable trader, are questions like 'is the milage legitimate' necessary?, also would you still perform checking the oil step?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yokeybob

singing" I can see clearly now the rain has gone" Ive been wreaking my head these past two days trying to buy a second hand car thanks a million for this guide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The guide on page 1 was in the newspaper last Sunday almost copied word for word! Anyone else notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

-=al=- wrote: »
    The guide on page 1 was in the newspaper last Sunday almost copied word for word! Anyone else notice?

What paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Is there a website offering vehicle history, crash info, etc. if you just have the VIN and not a registration number?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi,

Girlfriend is looking at a Golf with a missing book (being sold by a main dealer of another VAG brand). Can we ring up any VW main dealer and check what work/servicing was done? It's a 2010 if that makes any difference.

Don't mind paying for the info if it takes someone's time.

Cheers.
    R.

That depends on whether the car was serviced with the VW dealer network or not. If they didn't service it then they won't have any information on it.

That depends on whether the car was serviced with the VW dealer network or not. If they didn't service it then they won't have any information on it.

I'm guessing that the first few years at least would have been done through the place of purchase.
    That guess is based on another guess though, that VW's would come with some kind of service plan from new.

So I take it it is possible IF it has been serviced through a VW dealer?

Cheers Bazz.

They will not be able to give any personal information but should be able to tell you things like what was done at x mileage. Not sure if all VW dealers have access to each others service info so you might have to ring the VW garage that serviced it directly.

They will not be able to give any personal information but should be able to tell you things like what was done at x mileage. Not sure if all VW dealers have access to each others service info so you might have to ring the VW garage that serviced it directly.

Cheers for that Bazz. Could be tricky finding the original seller with the book missing and the stickers removed.
    I'll give it aa shot though.

Well I'd start by ringing the VW dealers in the county of where it was originally registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

Lads what would ye say to this...

Found a 2009 A4 s line for sale. Has 60k miles on it with FSH (appernry). Uk import with one Irish owner here for 4 years. Price is under €14,5k

Ran the motercheck car test on it and all seems okay. Ran an equivalent uk one, think it was totalcarcheck, using English reg I found with motercheck. Only thing here is it says there's no record of it being exported.

Hoping to view car tomorrow and see service history. I'd be worried rhw car could be due some work with the low mileage on it. Hence costing me some yo yos.

Any thoughts on the situation?
    I would be hoping dealer will agree to a pre purchase inspection. What the best approach to a deposit here. Aggree to buy car 'Subject to satisfactory inspection results'

The no record of it being exported could mean that the DVLA in the UK have not been informed that it has been brought over here.

Regarding pre purchase inspection. Unless the dealer has something to hide I cannot see them objecting to you having it inspected but they may insist on you bringing the mechanic to the car rather than the other way round.

Personally I'd hold off putting a deposit on it until after it was inspected, could prove more hassle getting it back in the event the inspection finds something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Quick question about buying a car for someone else.

My GF is learning to drive, and I'm going to get her a small car to learn in. She lives in Belfast Monday-Friday, so for practical reasons most likely won't be with me when I buy the car (but she'll have ok'd whichever car I recommend). Can I buy the car, and put her name down as the new owner on the logbook (or can only the owner themselves do that?).

I know that I could buy the car myself, and then transfer it to her at a more convenient time, but that brings up insurance issues. By putting it in her name immediately, I can use my driving other cars extension from my own insurance to drive the car with her permission (and thus without a need to have insurance immediately). If I buy it myself, I'd have to get insurance sorted for what would in practice only be a few days.

Advertisement