Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Igotadose wrote: »
    Hello all.

We're relocating to Dingle in the next few months from the USA. Is there an online resource that describes what's involved with insuring a car? I think it has to be similar, but the terms are very different than what I'm used to in the US. Is there the equivalent of liability insurance, comprehensive insurance, collision, etc?

What's the 'no claims' bonus? What is 'voluntary excess' and 'compulsory excess?' It seems like 'compulsory excess' is 'deductible' in the US, and maybe there's a minimum (compulsory) amount, where 'voluntary' you can buy into via higher premiums?

A pointer to a dictionary would be much appreciated! Thank you

Insurance is going to be very expensive for you when you land as you have no built up a "No claims bonus". That pretty much is as it says, it's a bonus for not claiming off your insurance policy. Everyone in Ireland will have an expensive insurance policy, it's just they will have a huge percentage of a discount off the premium for building up their no claims bonus. It is built up yearly and it goes to a maximum discount or years bonus of 5 (Some insurers 6+).

So if and when you do come over, you will have to start from scratch and pay the 100% premium. Vehicle dependant this could amount to 3-4000 euros per annum. There is an Insurance company operating in Ireland that recognises US drivers and offers a lower premium, but I am not sure of their name.

We have three types of insurance, Third party liability, Third party liability with fire and theft insurance and then Fully comprehensive insurance.

Excess on a policy is the initial amount that you will have to pay in the event of a claim arising. Some insurers will offer a larger discount for a higher excess (Ie. if you are involved in an accident and the excess on your policy is €3,000, and the damage arises to €4,000, you will be liable for the first €3,000 and the insurer will pay the rest.) Voluntary and compulsory excess are self explanatory after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 natsat79

Hi, any advice on an 06 Fiat Punto for 1900 - it's done 110kms but he said he'd put in a new timing belt for me. Unfortunately I can't post the link as I'm a new user, but the car looks decent it does have a small ding in the rear door. It has nct till feb16. He's also using the "selling for friend" story, but i see it was sold to dealer a few months ago.
    Basically I need something reliable, safe, economical to run, cheap to tax & insure - any thoughts on if I should go for this car or look out for something else, and if so what? I could spend 3000 if it would get me something decent.

thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

How do people deal with deals in the 20k region when it comes to the exchange of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you buying or selling?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you buying or selling?

Buying. I think that makes me slightly at less risk in a way. Il have met the guy once before the cash is exchanged aswell. He also claims he owns a business in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€20k is alot of money to carrying on you. I'd either do the handover at a local bank branch or at a garda station.

bazz26 wrote: »
    €20k is alot of money to carrying on you. I'd either do the handover at a local bank branch or at a garda station.

Any reason not to do part bank draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 natsat79

natsat79 wrote: »
    Hi, any advice on an 06 Fiat Punto for 1900 - it's done 110kms but he said he'd put in a new timing belt for me. Unfortunately I can't post the link as I'm a new user, but the car looks decent it does have a small ding in the rear door. It has nct till feb16. He's also using the "selling for friend" story, but i see it was sold to dealer a few months ago.
    Basically I need something reliable, safe, economical to run, cheap to tax & insure - any thoughts on if I should go for this car or look out for something else, and if so what? I could spend 3000 if it would get me something decent.

thank you!

I'm still looking at the punto; just found out the top mounting shocks on the left hand side need replacing. It has passed NCT but i'm wondering will this give me trouble in the future or be expensive to fix?
    any advice would be much appreciated

Buying. I think that makes me slightly at less risk in a way. Il have met the guy once before the cash is exchanged aswell. He also claims he owns a business in the town.

Don't even dream of handing over 20k cash! Be very, very cautious.

Any reason not to do part bank draft?

Paying a dealer should be no problem but buying privately very unlikely someone would take a draft. Too many scams.

• Advertisement

Ya he seems pretty casual about it all. He has identified a business he owns in the town.

Il probably go 15k draft and the rest cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Anyone know is it still possible to do a reg check to see if a car is taxed and tested. I remember seeing a link to one on here last year but can't remember what website does it nor find the link

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

shineon23 wrote: »
    Anyone know is it still possible to do a reg check to see if a car is taxed and tested. I remember seeing a link to one on here last year but can't remember what website does it nor find the link

http://mywheels.ie/
    http://www.motorcheck.ie/
    http://www.cartell.ie/

sebphoto wrote: »

Thanks but them sites are only giving me general vehicle details, year and engine size, without paying.

I have used a free check before that stated when the NCT and tax were due. Just cannot remember where
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

shineon23 wrote: »
    Thanks but them sites are only giving me general vehicle details, year and engine size, without paying.

I have used a free check before that stated when the NCT and tax were due. Just cannot remember where
    :rolleyes:
    http://www.carsireland.ie/add.php
    Stick the reg in there and it should tell you.

Brasso wrote: »
    http://www.carsireland.ie/add.php
    Stick the reg in there and it should tell you.

Thats the one, thanks Brasso!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Currently looking at used A5's up north, found the following (will post spec as I cant post link). Why is this so cheap in comparison to similar models, is it worth viewing?
    Any advice is appreciated

Type/Year: 2011 Audi A5 2.0 TDI S Line Special Ed [Start Stop]
    Miles:81000
    Colour:White
    Engine Size:1,968
    Fuel Type:Diesel
    Transmission:Manual
    Seller: Private
    Price:£8500

ABS, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Audio Remote Control, Body Coloured Bumpers, Climate Control, Drivers Airbag, Electric Door Mirrors, Folding Rear Seats, Front Electric Windows, Front Fog Lights, Headlight Washers, Heated Door Mirrors, Immobiliser, Leather Seats, Passenger Airbag, Power Steering, Radio/CD, Remote Central Locking, Reverse Parking Aid, Service Indicator, Side Airbags, Sports Seats, Steering Wheel Rake Adjustment, Steering Wheel Reach Adjustment, Traction Control, Trip Computer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Time to finally move on my 04 1.9 TDI golf.

Budget would be 12-13k and I'd be trading in my own with it.

I do a lot of motorway driving and probably average 30,000kms a year.

I play a lot of golf so need room for the clubs and a trolley! The boot in the golf is small. Ideally I'd like something with the same size engine as I have and around the 10 or 11 mark.

You will get better money for that Golf by selling it privately than trading it into a dealer who will most likely sell it on to the trade as it's too old to retail.

Not the prettiest of yokes but the boot will definitely swallow a set of golf clubs:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Superb/AMBITION-1.9/135114225243863220/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How bad are the 1.6 petrol mondeos performance/economy wise? Some gorgeous 08/09s out there with nice spec in the €8-10k but I'm guessing there's a reason?

• Advertisement

They are underpowered and at 30k km per year they will rob you on petrol. Tax on the 09 ones is high too. They stopped selling them in 2010 because nobody wanted them anymore.

If you want to stick to petrol in that size car then have a look at the new generation Toyota Avensis. 1.6 litre dual VVTi engine has 130bhp, €390 to tax and they are decent on fuel.

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/TOYOTA-AVENSIS/107414164023846920/

That got a bit of paint anyway, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

When getting a vehicle inspection does the car have to have a current MOT? Justing reading on the RAC website:

'A valid MOT Certificate (where applicable) and the vehicle’s DVLA registration documents should also be available for inspection.'

The MOT has no bearing on cars in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

bazz26 wrote: »
    The MOT has no bearing on cars in Ireland.

Whoops. I meant to put this in the importing from uk thread!!

Whoops. I meant to put this in the importing from uk thread!!

I'd ring the RAC for clarification to be honest. At a guess I'd presume they need the car to be MOT'd so that they can test drive it on a public road. Registration is probably to prove that the seller is the registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Thanks again. Just got off the phone with an insurer who said we couldn't get insurance without an Irish license, at least a provisional license. Is that correct? Will try other insurers to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭phoenix99

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I am just wondering has anyone had any dealings with this guy and what kind of experience you had? Based near Tramore in Waterford going by the ads.

http:// cars.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/?filters%5BuserId%5D=1312773

(had to put a space in the above address as I can't post URLs)

Any feedback appreciated.

Buy the time the VRT is paid on that you'd more than likely buy one in a main dealer, on a straight deal, with a full and proper warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've been looking to change my car (00 golf 1.4 - been giving some trouble) for a while but hadn't really seen anything I was too gone on in the budget (around €8k).

Out of the blue, the mother is after offering me her Audi TT - 2005, around 100k miles - for €3.5k. It's the 1.8 petrol.

From looking at prices people are looking for online for similar cars it seems like a great price, but there aren't many of them up for sale I can see to get a really good sense.

Anyone care to comment on the bargain status or otherwise of this deal?

I know people call TTs hairdressers cars etc and that the back seats are worthless, not too bothered on either of those fronts.

More interested in whether €3.5K is a good price, whether they're reliable after 10 years/100k miles, and anything else if anyone has any experience of them?

Advertisement