Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wouldn't be my cuppa tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How would a VW rate in terms of reliability? '95-'99 Polos and Golfs?
    '95-'99 Toyota ftw every time over VW, imo. Petrol anyway - I don't combust the devil's piss.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AdrianSandu

Esel wrote: »
    '95-'99 Toyota ftw every time over VW, imo. Petrol anyway - I don't combust the devil's piss.

Arigato! Hai!

Esel wrote: »

I've had 5 very good years with a diesel Alfa Romeo 166 (left hand drive 2.4 litres JTD). The engine itself never gave me any problems. The issues were mainly related to suspension and electric systems. All that and moving to Ireland forced me to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your talking about cars that are 15 years or older, how reliable they car will depend on the particular car in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Noticed this today when browsing:

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/2008-bmw-e92-msport/6343649

The photos do not match. The two interior photos are two different cars. One is auto, with SE seats and black trim. The other is manual with sports seats and silver trim. The photo of the speedo is also from a petrol car.

Is this a scam or laziness?

They're taken from carzone, you can see the logo. One interior pic is from pistonheads

First interior photo is of an auto SE, second interior is from a manual M Sport. Exterior photo is of a SE too yet the seller claims it is a M Sport in the description. Leather in both is Dakota too, not Nappa. Dash photo is from a petrol too, diesel models have "Diesel" written under the fuel gauge needle. Some of the manuals don't match the ones I had with my E90 either. Very unlikely to get an X3 manual with a 3 Series.

Seems like too much effort for just a lazy seller so smells of scam to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Hi - my reliable ford focus (01) got hit overnight while it was parked and this stupid eejit hadnt protected her no claims bonus so not worth getting fixed as insurance would go up 80% and 500 excess on policy.. Will cost 350 to fix...just wondering what should i be expecting to get to sell it on as is for scrap/or to garage to repair and resell?? I have it taxed til May and nct til may

Also more questions... looking at 2007 cmax - from a dealer thats closing down, in business for 50 years....will get someone to look at it, how much should that cost? I think its a good deal but I am female after all!! With 2 kids, need bigger boot...Its a diesel 1.6 - any advice on the much would be mucho appreciated cause no car in this fab weather is not fun!

Cheers

If the accident hadn't happened, would you have been changing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 redser16

Hi all.
    Looking to change our 7 seater petrol 1.6 which is an 07 model. Need to get another 7 seater and originally was looking at going to a 2010 model - its diesel and more fuel efficient so would save about €600 in fuel per year and €230 in tax. However, there is a shortage of good 2010 models because not many were sold in that year due to recession. When we looked at 2011/2012 ones these are even scarcer because owners are not yet trading in these models. We have been offered a 2013 model for a good price for that year but I really didn't want to spend that sort of money however, in the longer term, maybe it represents better value. Basically it would be:
    Trade in +10k for a 2010 model
    Trade in +16k for a 2013 model

I have no idea how to crunch the numbers to see with depreciation etc which is the better option.
    Would appreciate all thoughts and comments please!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If there is a shortage of the model/year you want here, then look in the UK.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9 redser16

Had considered the north but was worried about reports of 60% of cars being clocked? Wouldn't have a clue about that stuff. Also had been told they wouldn't take a trade in of a southern reg. have tried selling ours privately but not one phone call even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Hi,

Thanks for this tread. I read the first post and it looks great. I have a couple of questions. Is there any chance someone knows where's there's decent photos of the oil colours on the dip stick. ie the light dark or coffee.

Secondly is there any advice or bargin hints for finance on a used car. Are all banks the same or does someone have a great deal going? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

hi

so i'm buying a used car

the seller showed me the nct-document and the service book.

is there any other document i need from him? what about the car license? as far as i know i have to give the seller my data and he has to fill it in and send it to some institution.

can someone please tell me what documents i should ask the seller for and he should provide me with.

also, is it usual in ireland to write 2 copies of a small "sales contract" that i sign and give the seller and the seller signs the other and gives me? i'm german, and its normal here, thats why i'm asking.

/edit

also, what about parking permit? our apartment doesnt have its own parking, so i would have to park on the street (if i manage to find a spot) or use the parking house. where do get a parking permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

oops, and another questions.... a quote from citizeninformation.ie:
    Buying a vehicle registered after 1 January 1993
    If you privately buy a vehicle that was first registered after this date, the seller must fill in your details on part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (Vehicle Registration Certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles) and return it to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division. The new details will be registered and the amended certificate will be sent to you. The seller will give the Vehicle Registration Certificate for a pre-April 2004 vehicle to you when you buy the vehicle.

now what? does the seller fills in my details and send it to driver and vehicle division or does he give it to me? thats part is extremely ambiguous.

or is there a difference between a Vehicle Licensing Certificate and a Vehicle Registration Certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

You fill in your details and the seller will post it. There does not tend to be a contract in a private sale but nothing to stop you asking for one.

To avoid a bit of aggravation, I'd advise you bring an envelope and a stamp so that the seller can drop it in a post box straight away once you have signed the change of ownership section. As some people tend to forget to post it or just don't bother.

You'd wanna make sure the sellers ID matches the name on the ownership document.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Cool thread.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I found this car on DoneDeal:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-3-1998-new-nct-today/6351787

'98 Toyota Corolla, 1.3l

Everything on the page looks OK (3 month tax, 1 year NCT, serviced, belt changed). Yet, though it is marked as private sale, the descriptions says to "call Liam at SP Motors" and there's another car on that sellers's name too. Should I be worried about it? Or should I just go and check it first?

Thanks,

Adrian

P.S. Motortax.ie says this:

VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 98D6887
    Vehicle Details TOYOTA / COROLLA
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Transferred to an Individual on :

Notified on : 01/11/2013

28/11/2013
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 03/12/2013

Treat any car at this price level as a private sale. Would be interesting to see who's name is on the book. Maybe they put it in their name just to tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXDarkstarXx

Hi all

I will be changing my car in the next few months. Recently got a job in Kilkenny so will be driving up and down the motorway everyday. I currently have a 00 focus 1.4 and it's costing me the bones of €80 a week. I was thinking of a diesel corolla maybe the 2004 or 2005 model. Something like this maybe:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-toyota-corolla-d4d-t3/6368228

Would this be a good idea or does anybody know of a similar car? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

€5k for a 10 year old Corolla diesel. You are paying top dollar for those Corolla diesels but the cheap tax and reliability is what makes them sell at that price.

bazz26 wrote: »
    €5k for a 10 year old Corolla diesel. You are paying top dollar for those Corolla diesels but the cheap tax and reliability is what makes them sell at that price.

Yeah I know they are a bit expensive, but I don't mind paying a bit more for reliability. Plus it will be cheap to tax and run. I'm hoping I would put in about €40 to €50 in a week with the diesel. Can anybody recommend any similar cars to this?

It's hard to recommend anything else really with those requirements. Just make sure the car is checked over comprehensively.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's hard to recommend anything else really with those requirements. Just make sure the car is checked over comprehensively.

Yeah my uncle is a mechanic so he would give it the once over and give me his opinion. Thanks very much for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

murfilein wrote: »
    hi

so i'm buying a used car

the seller showed me the nct-document and the service book.

is there any other document i need from him? what about the car license? as far as i know i have to give the seller my data and he has to fill it in and send it to some institution.

can someone please tell me what documents i should ask the seller for and he should provide me with.

also, is it usual in ireland to write 2 copies of a small "sales contract" that i sign and give the seller and the seller signs the other and gives me? i'm german, and its normal here, thats why i'm asking.

/edit

also, what about parking permit? our apartment doesnt have its own parking, so i would have to park on the street (if i manage to find a spot) or use the parking house. where do get a parking permit?

Hi, you should be looking to see the VLC (Vehicle licensing certificate) or "Logbook" as it's referred to here

vlc_example1.jpg

All of the cars information will be inside this, the number of owners, the chassis number, the colour make models etc. etc. Make sure all of this matches the car. (There is a list of letters and numbers inside at the top, and their corresponding meaning at the bottom)

My advice is to take a photo of the VLC once you have filled in your name and address. This is handy should it go missing etc.

As for the parking permit, that very much depends on your area. You might be best asking the local County council about that. There's nothing wrong with writing up a sales contract, something simple ie. "I ______ have purchased x car off y seller on 06/02/2013".

What you have to remember is that you have very little rights in Ireland buying a car privately, should anything go wrong. There are a lot of dishonest cars on the market at the moment, and an equal amount of dishonest sellers, so I would recommend getting the car and the documentation checked out by a local mechanic for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Hi,
    Looking at changing my current petrol yaris to something a bit bigger.
    I've got rural commute of approx 90km daily and couple of large dogs.
    Any thoughts on this one

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/V50/2.0-D-SE/38613909040279330/advert?channel=CARS
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Myyra wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking at changing my current petrol yaris to something a bit bigger.
    I've got rural commute of approx 90km daily and couple of large dogs.
    Any thoughts on this one

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/V50/2.0-D-SE/38613909040279330/advert?channel=CARS
    Thanks in advance

Looks good, it's an Irish car too. Great power in that engine, and they're still a good looking car IMO.

Would be a big change from the yaris.

Advertisement