Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Hopefully O’Connell will do a job on O’Donoghue otherwise we will be in big bother beyount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The information I had from weeks ago was that he’d play no more county football this year and would be back at some point in the club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well that fairly burst the balloon. We were never in that game, not for a minute. Mayo toyed with us in the 2nd half and played the game like an in house training match. If anyone needed any more proof of how screwed we are with forwards today should have educated you. 1-8 on a form pitch, 2 points from play I think and a fortuitous goal. Dread to think what could happen against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭rrs

Derry brushed aside Tyrone earlier in the da,y in the Minor game. Cavan got praise for the performance last week, but counts for nothing now.

I honestly don’t think I’ll go to another Cavan game if James Smith is continued to be wasted in at FF when we are struggling so badly in midfield. Our own kick out was atrocious today and we struggled on Mayo’s. Kicks outs are now one of the most basic parts of the game that you have to get right.

The Mayo supporters I was speaking to thought we were absolutely terrible. Toothless in attack apart from a man who should be at midfield. Then in defence Mayo ran through us without a glove laid on them.

The Monaghan & Tyrone games had given me hope after a terrible end to the League but that’s dashed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Mayo fan here, feel sorry for the people who travelled from Cavan to see that, was speaking to a few of ye and terrible pretty much summed up the shot taking display.if it wasnt for that might have been a little closer.

It's as simple as this, we do not have a couple of Div 1 level forwards. We relying on our marauding runs from deep and Mayo matched those runs today. As a result we scored 1-8, a pitiful return. It'll be something similar I'm afraid against Dublin.

Roscommon would be the weakest of the 3 teams Cavan will play,but they have some excellent forwards, Conor Cox, Donie Smith, Ben O Carroll, Diarmuid Murtagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭celt262

Never going to get scores starting the game with in reality 1 forward and a thrown together midfield.

James Smith had a good game he must have won nearly every ball that went into him but had zero support. He needs to be played in midfield though, it looks like he is the only intercounty level midfielder in the County which isnt good.

Who do you play in forwards? My assessment is that Oisin Brady is struggling at this level, he lacks the pace and power. Cormac O Reilly is a tryer but lacks the football skills. Caoimhin seems to be named to start every game but then vanishes and is not seen on match day. I'm not sure is there a county in Ireland that struggles to produce scoring forwards as badly as we do. I think we've now moved to converting a midfielder to a forward as a result, to the detriment of midfield. I don't see a solution and unfortunately (bar Lovett who we all hope can be the forward we crave) I don't see much in our minors or u20s in terms of forwards to get excited about. I think the next few years could be bleak.

• Advertisement

Tyrone had a couple of brilliant forwards on the U20 team. Both footed. They always have a few to come through.

I think for this year Ray is going to make do with what he has in there. I can see why he had James Smith in there the last day but any benefit in that was outdone by been cleaned out around the middle for the whole game. I though it would have been better to concede the kickouts against Mayo and at least be setup to defend instead of trying to press.

Looking at next year Caoimhe McGovern has a bit of size to him and can kick a score hopefully he is back to himself and gets a chance. Hopefully Lovett gets some meaningful game time in the next couple of games to give him a taste of it.

Who else is there Matthew Smith?

Any other young lads who might make the breakthrough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Roscommon beat Meath last sunday in mullingar 2-18 to 0-14. meath struggling now too with forwards Jordy Morris gone for group stages. Meath will lose all three games i think.

Jack Tully is a decent young forward. He featured in the McKenna Cup. But there isn't many standing out at Club level that haven't already been involved. Niall McDermott and Ado Cole still playing well at Club level but their County days are finished.

Paddy Lynch will likely miss a good chunk of next years league, if not all. Cavan will need someone to step up or it will be a relegation battle. They would have went down this year without Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Myles, we could have played David Clifford on Saturday and he would have struggled. It was an unbelievably limp display. I've seen Cavan teams put more effort at pressing and running in McKenna cup games. I said to a Mayo fan on the train that if we started well, we would give them a game. I knew after 5 minutes that we were done for. It was a miracle to be down by 4 points at half time, even with the wind. Mayo cut us open at will and their first three scores conceivably should have been goals.

A few Mayo fans were worried about their forwards' form. Well, a game where there is zero pressure on the ball and multiple running options will do wonders for your confidence. I don't think they kicked a wide in the first half and the reason was they were willing to run the ball at ease and kick under no pressure.

Even days later, I don't really want to think about Saturday. Woeful stuff. Can anyone explain how we were set up in the first half with a very strong breeze? I was texting someone saying there was 2/3 points in it minimum.

We played extra defenders, yet were cut open at will. Mayo played like Mayo have for years. It's not like they ambushed us by playing high ball into the square. They are incredibly fit with mobile half backs and half forwards who run and run and run. They often struggle with a blanket, so when I heard the changes I thought, right we are going to make them kick the ball and absolutely cover off space. And in the first five minutes they just ran through us. And again. And again.

We looked gassed and could not keep up. At one stage it was like they had 3 extra players they had so much time and space. And they targeted our left hand side (I was on the terrace and I would say they played the ball that side twice in the first half) and it wasn't like Armagh where they quickly switched sides, it was pass and go and we were caught out again and again. How was that not addressed?

And saying "Mayo go man for man" ignores that they stream back at pace when they get turned over (which we managed so rarely). So when we went slow, they could cut out anything we tried by running (something we did not know how to do).

And considering we had a strong breeze, did we have a tactic on Mayo's kick out? I couldn't see one. Yes, we left some scores behind in the first half but lads the level of intensity we showed in that game was a million miles of what you need to compete. And you can't help but feeling that tactically we got it very wrong on the day.

No sign of the Dubs game been fixed yet which is a bit of a pain for a bank holiday weekend and have other plans to work around. The GAA really need to get the finger out we have known it will be either the Saturday or Sunday for weeks now.

It's a bit of a mess, especially for anyone looking to plan their weekend around it.

After last Saturday's "performance" my preference is to have it on Sunday evening. That way a crushing defeat won't ruin my night out on Saturday :)

Hold on, I just got the Celt and Paul Fitz is saying Saturday with a 4pm throw-in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

It's on score beo as the sunday at 1.45pm

• Advertisement

Adam Reilly would have been with Maghera up to Minor level and then went to Cuchulainns.

Both were wrong its up now for the Saturday at 7pm and live on GAAGO.

I heard someone saying that the County board are only expecting little over 10k for this one.

I’d say GAA Go showing it and the amount of dodgy sticks about will hit even that figure. The handicap will probably be about 15 points.

A miss match to be showing but they have to show something. Dublin will probaly field a second string and go strong for Dublin the following week

I think even Damien Donohoe will have to concede that a bad beating is highly likely. I have heard rumours about some agro in the camp too around the Maddens not starting - hopefully thats without foundation as one thing the team has seemed to be this year is united.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Forgot that was on the Rugby final is on aswell.

I’m hearing all three of the Maddens have left the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Blue47

Well if Cian wasn’t injured I’ve no idea why he didn’t start against Mayo and Tiarnan can feel hard done by too, hopefully rumours aren’t true it would be just too Cavan if it was

• Advertisement

Conor Madden wasn't involved this year . Tiernan Madden didn't seem to be in favour during the the league after a excellent Club Championship.

Advertisement