Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

celt262 wrote: »
    I think the league will be played and that will be that if we go level 5 that will end of it anyway.

As pointed out above, intercounty games are expected to be allowed at Level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭rrs

Well actually no, Varadkar ruled out Inter County Championship yesterday, if moving to Level 5. It was going against what was said last week by Tony Holahan.

Varadkar said GAA inter County couldn't be be defined as elite when it's Amatuer, where players are working. Not professional like Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭celt262

rrs wrote: »
    Well actually no, Varadkar ruled out Inter County Championship yesterday, if moving to Level 5. It was going against what was said last week by Tony Holahan.

Varadkar said GAA inter County couldn't be be defined as elite when it's Amatuer, where players are working. Not professional like Rugby.

Exactly there would have been warn if they had of went against there own roadmap and allowed GAA.

Varadkar is well known for engaging his mouth before he engages his brain. Decision would have to go through cabinet.

From listening to the We Are Cavan lads, they seem to be hinting that a lot of players are missing for Cavan and we don’t know what sort of team will line out this weekend.

Cavan minors just robbed. Perfectly good goal disallowed for square ball. They went behind for the first time 2 minutes into injury time and the ref blew up in the third minute despite 5 minutes being announced.

That said, far too many wides and a lot of possession squandered. Poor discipline too. A silly black and red card.

• Advertisement

Yevon wrote: »
    Absolutely robbed. There was meant to be 2 minutes left! And even if there wasn't a ref almost always allows a final attack but he blew up while we were in possession going forward. I was surprised he wasn't challenged by Cavan management right after the final whistle.

The Cavan goal should have stood too, he was miles outside the small rectangle when the ball was kicked.

If our shooting had been better we would have won comfortably, there was a lack of quality up front. Lovett didn't have a good game when he came on and wasted several shots. But the full back and centre back for Cavan were outstanding. Both look like they wouldn't be out of place physically on an U20 side.

That's a real missed opportunity. Nice to see a few good prospects coming through I suppose.

Yet again though our lack of a top class inside forward killed us. Even with the ref’s poor performance, we should have had that game put to bed.

Yevon wrote: »
    They wouldn't even needed to have been top class, Lovett kicked a ball into the goalkeeper's hands from 15 meters. The wing forward blasted wide from right in front of goal in the last few minutes. And a huge amount of other poor decisions on the ball in the final third. But yeah the game should absolutely have been put to bed.

I wouldn't be confident for tomorrow. We have a terrible record against Kildare.

A terrible record against Kildare and I’m hearing up to one third of the panel missing through injury and Covid related issues. That’s why no team has been named yet. Apparently they are leaving it as late as possible to see who is available.

We could be in real trouble after Westmeath beat Laois today. Clare will beat Fermanagh tomorrow to cut Fermanagh adrift but it’s about who goes down with them.

It's needless really. Fermangh have just the 18 players in the Squad for the match against Clare. Leitrim not fulfilling the fixture against Down.

Kerry players travelled up to Monaghan in cars. Players not allowed shower.

Bernard Brogan proposing that all the County panels stay in local hotels and isolate whilst the Championship is on. Might suit Dublin who are semi pros but not everyone else and who would fund that. Dubs out of touch with rest of Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Cavan_King wrote: »
    A terrible record against Kildare and I’m hearing up to one third of the panel missing through injury and Covid related issues. That’s why no team has been named yet. Apparently they are leaving it as late as possible to see who is available.

We could be in real trouble after Westmeath beat Laois today. Clare will beat Fermanagh tomorrow to cut Fermanagh adrift but it’s about who goes down with them.

Calm down, Laois and Fermanagh will go down, no doubt about it.

It's needless really. Fermangh have just the 18 players in the Squad for the match against Clare. Leitrim not fulfilling the fixture against Down.

Kerry players travelled up to Monaghan in cars. Players not allowed shower.

Bernard Brogan proposing that all the County panels stay in local hotels and isolate whilst the Championship is on. Might suit Dublin who are semi pros but not everyone else and who would fund that. Dubs out of touch with rest of Country.

I heard the Kerry lads travelled up the night before so may have stayed in a hotel somewhere.

Cavan are driving up separately today and Mickey said he hoped for a good day so they wouldn’t be soaked getting back into cars. Changing rooms are available but they won’t be using them. They will be giving them food to eat after the game.

3 hours to throw in and still no team named. I wonder will we be seeing a lot of debuts....

• Advertisement

Calm down, Laois and Fermanagh will go down, no doubt about it.

Laois play Fermanagh next week. Fermanagh will probably be down by then. A win would put Laois on 7 points and leave us to go down if we don’t pick up any points and Clare beat Fermanagh today.

I heard the Kerry lads travelled up the night before so may have stayed in a hotel somewhere.

Cavan are driving up separately today and Mickey said he hoped for a good day so they wouldn’t be soaked getting back into cars. Changing rooms are available but they won’t be using them. They will be giving them food to eat after the game.

3 hours to throw in and still no team named. I wonder will we be seeing a lot of debuts....

My head is saying that there should be no inter county football this year. However, my heart is (guiltily) ruling today and I’m looking forward to the distraction of the game today.

Team wise as noted it’s close to impossible to predict who we will have out. Post Covid I hope Cusack from Lavey and a few others give us the option of getting Faulkner out the field- to at least centre half back but ideally midfield. He’s been immense for us at full back but as Dunphy said of Keane playing centre half, it’s like having a Mercedes and keeping it in the garage.

Having Faulkner at centre half back could allow James Smith and Thomas Galligan (who was superb pre lockdown) to rampage forward and Gearoid on the 40. I know Timoney ideally will take up centre half back but we need Faulker’s power and Drive to win out the park.

Whoever we put out today, I’m looking forward to it. We know from all the league performances (barring the Armagh aberration) that Mickey will have the lads fired up and that whoever lines out will put a shift in.

Also, from yesterday- expect a mad score line! Hope it’s us on the right end of a shoot out.

My head is saying that there should be no inter county football this year. However, my heart is (guiltily) ruling today and I’m looking forward to the distraction of the game today.

Team wise as noted it’s close to impossible to predict who we will have out. Post Covid I hope Cusack from Lavey and a few others give us the option of getting Faulkner out the field- to at least centre half back but ideally midfield. He’s been immense for us at full back but as Dunphy said of Keane playing centre half, it’s like having a Mercedes and keeping it in the garage.

Having Faulkner at centre half back could allow James Smith and Thomas Galligan (who was superb pre lockdown) to rampage forward and Gearoid on the 40. I know Timoney ideally will take up centre half back but we need Faulker’s power and Drive to win out the park.

Whoever we put out today, I’m looking forward to it. We know from all the league performances (barring the Armagh aberration) that Mickey will have the lads fired up and that whoever lines out will put a shift in.

Also, from yesterday- expect a mad score line! Hope it’s us on the right end of a shoot out.

Faulkner can do a job anywhere. Even full forward if we are chasing a game.

Gearoid lined out in the half forwards in the Meath challenge game and apparently played well.

Timoney from Ballinagh looks a great option at CHB. That said, inter county will be a big step up from the intermediate championship.

I don’t know if Danny Cusack would suit full back. I see him as more of an option in the corner marking the opposition’s best forward. He also isn’t very vocal, which is fine as that’s his personality, action rather than words, but a full back needs to organise the backline.

McLoughlin & Cusack would leave is with two very mean corner backs. Full back is the big issue.

I’m more worried about the forwards than the backs to be honest. We need a forward who is going to score 4-5 points from play a game. Hoping Conor Smith will be that but injury is his big issue.

Oisin Pierson was Cavans best scoring forward in the League before Covid but seems to be out. Madden capable of scoring 1-5 or missing the same rally.

Daniel Flynn not starting the for Kildare.

Oisin Pierson was Cavans best scoring forward in the League before Covid but seems to be out. Madden capable of scoring 1-5 or missing the same rally.

Daniel Flynn not starting the for Kildare.

Pierson didn’t have a great club championship though. You’re right about him being the best forward pre Covid though. He has a cockiness too that I love to see in a forward.

I think Madden is best coming off the bench as an impact sub. In fairness to him though, he was very poorly treated by McGleenan and stuck at it. A lot of players would have walked after Mattie put him on against Dublin and then took him back off with a couple of minutes left. It showed a huge lack of respect. We were seven or eight points down anyway.

Pierson didn’t have a great club championship though. You’re right about him being the best forward pre Covid though. He has a cockiness too that I love to see in a forward.

I think Madden is best coming off the bench as an impact sub. In fairness to him though, he was very poorly treated by McGleenan and stuck at it. A lot of players would have walked after Mattie put him on against Dublin and then took him back off with a couple of minutes left. It showed a huge lack of respect. We were seven or eight points down anyway.

Live stream on tg4 online for anyone who hadn't heard.

Live stream on tg4 online for anyone who hadn't heard.

Does that include the TG4 app?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Stream works on the phone app...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

scoopmine wrote: »
    Stream works on the phone app...

Works on laptop now!

Have to win next week and hope Clare are beat to stay up?

• Advertisement

Have to win next week and hope Clare are beat to stay up?

A draw will be enough. Even if Laois beat Fermanagh. And Laois are awful and Brewster is a tough place to go to. They ran Clare close.

The Clare result before the Covid was the game that killed us. We lost that game chasing against the wind, and still could’ve clawed it back.

Lots of heart again today. Many teams would have folded after the goal. We kicked some awful wides just before their goal that would have brought us to within a couple of scores and we almost could’ve stolen a draw at the ends. Nice cameo from McGovern.

Would have to hope we throw the kitchen sink at the Rossies and Madden has another game against them! They might be up but they won’t be doing us any favours.

I still think we will stay up (based on sheer hope that Fermnangh dig something out!!!!)

A draw will be enough. Even if Laois beat Fermanagh. And Laois are awful and Brewster is a tough place to go to. They ran Clare close.

The Clare result before the Covid was the game that killed us. We lost that game chasing against the wind, and still could’ve clawed it back.

Lots of heart again today. Many teams would have folded after the goal. We kicked some awful wides just before their goal that would have brought us to within a couple of scores and we almost could’ve stolen a draw at the ends. Nice cameo from McGovern.

Would have to hope we throw the kitchen sink at the Rossies and Madden has another game against them! They might be up but they won’t be doing us any favours.

I still think we will stay up (based on sheer hope that Fermnangh dig something out!!!!)

Fermangh will have the 10 players back from Covid too.
    Agree Laois a poor team. Better teams in Divisions 3 like Cork, Derry or Down

Roscommon have their strongest panel in a while. They will want to carry the momentum into Championship.

Conroy was very good with the frees today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

That's a game we should have got something out of. Rossies in Breffni we have a chance but I'd be more hopeful of fermanagh doing us the favour to stay up
    20 points is a damn good score and as previous posters have said but for some erratic shooting and the goal chances we'd be having a different discussion now
    We have to be hopeful

Is McGovern only 18?

Yes, McGovern played with Cavan U17s last year.. 2019.

Yes, McGovern played with Cavan U17s last year.. 2019.

Looks a decent prospect.

Did Clarke play or not? I’m going to watch it on TG4 now at 5.40. Got listening to the first half on Northern Sound and Mickey Brennan seemed to think the backline was too loose. If that was the case, surely a tight man marker like Cusack should have been thrown in.

Watching a few other league games, the defences were loose too. The teams playing more off the cuff. They probaly haven't been back long enough to work on the defensive system.

Cavan had some decent attacking moves. Conor Smith, and Cormac Reilly showed well enough in the full forward line. McGovern when introduced showed well too.
    They seemed a bit slow at times to kick the ball in, and when they did, some of the passing was sloppy. But another game next week should bring them on, if its not lulled

Kildare looked a more physical team. They are a solid team without being spectacular.

Faulkner badly missed in the FB line I thought. We’re in real trouble IMO. Relegation will be tough to avoid. I can see Laois beating Fermanagh so we need a result to stay up which won’t be easy.

That Clare game could really come home to haunt us.

• Advertisement

Laois got a big beating yesterday against Westmeath. Fermanagh will have no pressure next week and might give it a lash. Tomas Corrigan started today against Clare, he wasn't involved earlier in the League or last year. He played very well by all accounts.
    Eoin Donnelly and Ryan Jones are good at midfiel, scoring was Fermanghs problem. Maybe Corrigan will ease that.

Yes Faulkner could be back in defence to pick up Conor Cox next week. Or maybe they'll bring in Clarke.

Advertisement