Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Sheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Azalea wrote: »
    And because he's a bad boy, a lad, "mad", all that sh-te (some men AND women think that stuff is great).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mad-Bad-And-Sad-History/dp/1844082342

comes to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's not so much apportioning blame as considering it not entirely honest to depict Charlie Sheen, lowlife that he may be, as the only one with responsibility in the scenarios in question.

Well they say he told them he was tested for std's and was clean, so what are they meant to do? Ask for proof? Who does that? In normal life people just take each other's word that they've got tested and they're clean. Only messed up people lie about that kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Oops, when I said "mad", I didn't mean mental illness! I meant more the way it's used about someone who's deemed great craic and reckless!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Oops, when I said "mad", I didn't mean mental illness! I meant more the way it's used about someone who's deemed great craic and reckless!

strangely we re both talking about the same thing. ive been highly recommended this book for such subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Sleepy wrote: »
    Every time I read about Charlie Sheen, I feel sorry for his father. Every interview I've seen with him, and anyone I know who interacted with him during his time in NUIG gives the impression that Martin Sheen is a lovely man and could only be heart-broken by his son's self-destructive behaviour.
    I don't get why that guy gets such a free pass. It almost certainly is largely the result of Martin's sizable personal demons over the course of the 70s. His unwillingness to directly acknowledge that (he usually takes a holier than thou "I had problems too, if only he'd listen to me" attitude with some born again nonsense about the importance of faith) has always grated on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I hope now he has brought it out in the open he goes after the lowlifes who blackmailed him out of millions to keep it quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

anna080 wrote: »
    Well they say he told them he was tested for std's and was clean, so what are they meant to do?
    Still use condoms. Unprotected sex with someone you don't know is, as should be well known 30 years after the AIDS scare hit its peak, very foolish, no matter what the other person says.
    I've never heard of it being the standard for people to take strangers' word for it that they've been tested and are clean, just that it would be ill advised to leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Sleepy wrote: »
    Every time I read about Charlie Sheen, I feel sorry for his father. Every interview I've seen with him, and anyone I know who interacted with him during his time in NUIG gives the impression that Martin Sheen is a lovely man and could only be heart-broken by his son's self-destructive behaviour.

Was at The Way premiere in the Savoy back in early 2011, which was the night after Charlie's winning interview aired in the states. Both Martin and Emilio were there and Martin was asked about Charlie towards the end of the Q&A and he was quite emotional. He seemed close to tears and just said that it's hard when you have someone you love so much that is in the grip of addiction but can't see it themselves. The next question was something like, 'Who would like to work with next?' and he said, 'Charlie'.

Was hoping Bree was one of the women that Charlie was referring to when he said in the interview today that he had told certain women he could trust about his HIV diagnosis, but according to Bree (on Howard Stern today) she was not one of those women. If that's true, I have a lost a lot a lot of respect for the guy and I think she should sue him tbh, if that is, what she says is true. If he didn't have enough respect for her to let her know that she was having unprotected sex with someone with HIV, then why should she bother looking out for him for one second longer. IMO, she shouldn't. If he only ever had sex with her when using condoms though, that's somewhat different. Haven't heard the Stern show in full yet so not 100% sure as the quotes so far from the interview don't seem to make it clear if the the lambskin condoms were always used.

Here is today's interview for those that haven't seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ponzook

He was paid 1.8 million per episode in his final season of two and a half me. Winning! I actually quite enjoyed it and got some laughs from it. It's good and watchable and can relate to his lifestyle. Maybe it's not for everyone but each to their own. Better than a lot of ****e I watched but a lot of episodes were repetitive

I'll just leave this here. He's a total frickin rock star! Charlie Sheen my idol

<youtube>youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg</youtube>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I don't think I could shake someone's hand if I knew they had HIV/AIDS... I guess that makes me a rotten person.

I'm quite neurotic about germs, and HIV is the king of germs! (or at least it used to be and still has that stigma in many ppl's minds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I don't think I could shake someone's hand if I knew they had HIV/AIDS... I guess that makes me a rotten person.

I'm quite neurotic about germs, and HIV is the king of germs! (or at least it used to be and still has that stigma in many ppl's minds)

Iiiiit does make you rather hurtful to someone with it. It's absolutely not transferrable like that, and can you imagine how dirty you would feel if people refused to as much as shake hands with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Samaris wrote: »
    Iiiiit does make you rather hurtful to someone with it. It's absolutely not transferrable like that, and can you imagine how dirty you would feel if people refused to as much as shake hands with you?

I don't shake hands with people that have a cold... so why would I be any more likely to do so with someone who has an incurable disease?

I know it's unlikely, but it's not totally impossible to contract it by shaking hands... you have a cut, they have a cut. (slightly irrational, but that's the mind of someone who's neurotic about this stuff)

... so why would I be any more likely to do so with someone who has an incurable disease?

Because you can't catch HIV by shaking hands with someone?
    I know it's unlikely, but it's not totally impossible to contract it by shaking hands... you have a cut, they have a cut. (slightly irrational, but that's the mind of someone who's neurotic about this stuff)

I haven't heard such nonsense in this context since the late 80's / early 90's. It was at least understandable then as people could be excused for being ignorant. There is no such excuse today however.

Have you ever seen the film Philadelphia? Watch it. You might recognize yourself in one or two of the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I don't shake hands with people that have a cold... so why would I be any more likely to do so with someone who has an incurable disease?

No-one can change your mind on this, and there's little point in really trying.

But a cold -is- different, and I think we all know that. A cold is a temporary inconvenience that we all get at some point, that has no permanent social side-effects, that people don't look at you differently because you have. It's treated with vague sympathy (or mild slagging depending on the level of whining about it). It's also well-known to be extremely easily transmissable.

HIV isn't easily transmissable. It's not transferable by skin-to-skin contact. The likelihood of you both having a cut is very remote and it'd be pretty obvious if you did. It's a bit like...refusing to shake hands with someone suffering from cancer. Something that little as refusing basic social contact with them is making them out to be a pariah and it's insult to injury.

Having said that, phobias are hard to control. I hope that should the situation ever arise, the person realises it's your problem and not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

He caught it from the air conditioner being too low on movie sets, proving that women aren't the only ones who suffer from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I really hope you are getting appropriate treatment for your neurosis because it must be quite serious if you think things like that.

It's nearly as serious as one guy I heard of who used to make his girlfriend wash her hands in boiling hot water after she gave him a handjob just incase she got pregnant.

Your doctor should be able to help you identify the things that you believe that are not realistic. You should tell him/her about this HIV thing because as another poster pointed out, your hangup could really upset a person who has a very serious disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Slight contrast to your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Still use condoms. Unprotected sex with someone you don't know is, as should be well known 30 years after the AIDS scare hit its peak, very foolish, no matter what the other person says.
    I've never heard of it being the standard for people to take strangers' word for it that they've been tested and are clean, just that it would be ill advised to leave it at that.

They did use condoms. One lover said they used lambskin condoms but as I already stated earlier they don't prevent HIV transmission. But having told her he was clean she may have thought these were sufficent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

He was in NUI when I was studying there. Very normal, unassuming man. Seemed very down to earth

He does seem like a decent guy, it was hard to watch him falling off that building in 'The Departed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

Apparently one in every two and half men are HIV positive :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Sounds like you don't really know that much about germs to be honest.

It's nearly as serious as one guy I heard of who used to make his girlfriend wash her hands in boiling hot water after she gave him a handjob just incase she got pregnant.

Sounds like she had the problem there if she put up with that. She could have just refused to give the hand jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

They did use condoms. One lover said they used lambskin condoms but as I already stated earlier they don't prevent HIV transmission. But having told her he was clean she may have thought these were sufficent enough.
    Candie wrote: »
    Latex allergy is very common, they're the alternative.

Not true, there is many widely available in shops non latex brands that aren't made of sheep guts and prevent viral transmission. Its irresponsible to suggest that lambskin are a widely used alternative.

I probably wouldn't speak to you if we were introduced. You sound like an asshole and if we exchanged words then I might end up catching it from you verbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Indeed and that's why I feel bad for Bree. She has some responsibility for her own lifestyle choices, of course she does, but she was of the belief that her choices were informed ones, now it turns out they were not, well then that diminishes her responsibility to a large degree. If it's proven that Charlie was aware that Lambskin condoms do not adequately protect against HIV (and that he could have used polyurethane if he has a latex allergy) then without question is going to facing some lawsuits for knowingly putting people's lives in danger. It's America, they sue for a lot bloody less. Hard to know if Bree will sure, her anger could be temporary but she is fcuking seething.

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like she had the problem there if she put up with that. She could have just refused to give the hand jobs.

She was basically in an emotionally abusive relationship but you're right I've no idea how she put up with it!

He always seemed like such a normal guy. I'd met and hung around with them loads of times.
    brevity wrote: »
    Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

That isn't even half of it I'm afraid. They never had penis in vagina sex but he always accused her of being pregnant and made her show proof that she wasn't (you can work that out for yourself in all it's gory detail).

He basically had no idea how women get pregnant. He thought just touching/sleeping in the same bed/blow jobs could get a woman knocked up.

Anyway, my 2 cents on Charlie Sheen is that he seems like he has a lot of addiction and mental health problems. I feel sorry for his kids mostly. They are the ones who suffer and had absolutely no choice in how/to who they were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Samaris wrote: »
    HIV isn't easily transmissable. It's not transferable by skin-to-skin contact. The likelihood of you both having a cut is very remote and it'd be pretty obvious if you did. It's a bit like...refusing to shake hands with someone suffering from cancer. Something that little as refusing basic social contact with them is making them out to be a pariah and it's insult to injury.

Depends on the work. I work largely outdoors and have several outdoors hobbies, and i have cuts on my hands most of the time.

If i knew someone had hiv, i wouldn't touch them without a hazmat suit first.

CruelCoin wrote: »

If i knew someone had hiv, i wouldn't touch them without a hazmat suit first.

Oh sweet Jesus....

I really hope the ignorance being shown in this thread is because the posters are in their 50's or older and it's just a hangover from the time when their was hysteria about the disease.

You obviously have access to the internet, educate yourself.

It's 2015 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

That isn't even half of it I'm afraid. They never had penis in vagina sex but he always accused her of being pregnant and made her show proof that she wasn't (you can work that out for yourself in all it's gory detail).

He basically had no idea how women get pregnant. He thought just touching/sleeping in the same bed/blow jobs could get a woman knocked up.

Sounds like he was too young to be doing any of that business.

Advertisement