Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Sheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It is ridiculously difficult to contract it from vaginal sex alright. A German pop star who was hiv positive was sued by some of her sexual partners, but got off becuase her doctor had advised her the risks were very low.

However. Charlie Sheen was reported as having sexual partners from both genders, and I wouldn't rule out him being more adventurous than just vaginal sex.

I dunno if CS ever did intravenous drugs, but obviously that raises all sorts of issues too. Weird, when this thread opened, he'd already been diagnosed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

errlloyd wrote: »
    Weird, when this thread opened, he'd already been diagnosed.

In his interview he mentions when he started being outspoken is after diagnosis and down to the 'droids (steroids I'm assuming).

Fair play to Charlie.
    F*ck the people who blackmailed him.
    F*ck the media for forcing him to have to announce this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I hope he'll be ok and his family too. The press and paparazzi will be all over them now. Now more than ever the media will be hounding them and anyone that's close to the family for a news story on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In his interview he mentions when he started being outspoken is after diagnosis and down to the 'droids (steroids I'm assuming).

Fair play to Charlie.
    F*ck the people who blackmailed him.
    F*ck the media for forcing him to have to announce this.

Couldn't agree more.

Samaris wrote: »
    Regarding life-destroying;

Yeah, it can be managed and treated now, but it requires a complex regimen of pills to be taken

One pill a day.
    constant checking the white blood cells, decreased immune system,

A blood test, every 6 months. ETA: if a person is undergoing proper treatment, their immune system will be fine.
    -thoroughly- disrupted home life, prospect of having children,

No disruption to home life, and the risk of passing it to a child while pregnant is negligble if undergoing the treatment - of one pill a day.
    restriction of free movement (due to the complex nature of treating the illness)

Treatment is remarkably uncomplicated for people who aren't chaotic drug users or have other separate devastating illnesses.
    etc, etc, that while it -probably- won't kill you nowadays, it's certainly a horrible enough disease to warrent the title!

That certainly used to be the case, but it really isn't anymore. Which is great news.
    Yeah, but the cocktail of nauseating drugs you have to take everyday is a misery.

Not the generation of drugs currently in use, after a period of initial adjustment for a few weeks, people tolerate the drugs as well as an aspirin.

There's a lot of hope for people with HIV, and most will have a near normal life expectancy and live uncomplicated and happy lives. Their biggest problem is the way both the illness and it's treatment is misunderstood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ongarboy wrote: »
    Thankfully HIV is not the death sentence it once was. It may also change some perceptions that this is somehow still a "gay plague" and make more, particularly young people cop on about safe sex.
    Yeah, great idea. Maybe if his interview can be broadcast in 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Steroids used medically? I doubt that was the cause. They make you at most a bit giddy and excitable. I say this as someone who was previously on a high dose of steroids for a medical issue. I didn't even get the expected giddiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Thanks for the info, Candie, I'm apparently out of date! It certainly used to be a hell of a lot more complicated.

As for the rest of it, well, guess the start of the thread is right, its been spun to make everyone sorry for him. I honestly...no, no-one has the right to put anyone at risk in that way. That Bree woman certainly was implying she didn't know about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Steroids used medically? I doubt that was the cause. They make you at most a bit giddy and excitable.

Not sure that it specifies for medical reasons, my assumption that it may be part of treatment but I aint no doctor....but Chuck wouldn't be the type to do things in moderation if he got drugs in his hands.

Thanks for the info, Candie, I'm apparently out of date! It certainly used to be a hell of a lot more complicated.

As for the rest of it, well, guess the start of the thread is right, its been spun to make everyone sorry for him. I honestly...no, no-one has the right to put anyone at risk in that way. That Bree woman certainly was implying she didn't know about it.

If he knew he had it, then he was legally and morally obliged to disclose that. If he was in ignorance and untreated and was sticking his head in the sand, then that is a moral failure and not a legal one.

Its not a fun thing to have, but if he cuts out the recreational drug use, he'll be absolutely fine. The people who don't have the best outcomes are unfortunately the drug abusers or the mentally ill who might not be able to be consistent with the treatment, and most of all, the desperately impoverished who can't afford treatment, meaning most of those affected in Africa and other developing countries.

Unfortunately there's no treatment to make him a decent person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

My man Charlie. It's a bad buzz but as said it's entirely livable these days (especially when you've the money!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Candie wrote: »
    If he knew he had it, then he was legally and morally obliged to disclose that. If he was in ignorance and untreated and was sticking his head in the sand, then that is a moral failure and not a legal one.

Sounds like he was getting treated while keeping up his lifestyle. If so, he can't really say he was hiding from it.

**** him.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Domo230 wrote:
    Two and a half men is pretty funny too

Two and a half men is the best American comedy ever

Sounds like he was getting treated while keeping up his lifestyle. If so, he can't really say he was hiding from it.

**** him.

If thats the case, he was legally required to disclose. If he didn't, he's an absolute psycho.

If he was abusing drugs the legalities and consequences probably weren't his top priority.

I never liked the man, but I hope he and all his former partners are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wow he's really fcuked his life up, also there's multiple rats leaking stuff to the press saying he's been using crack since 2010. I know all of his woes are probably self inflicted but I still feel sympathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Sorry about that, it was actually ceadaoin.'s previous post I had in mind writing that, not the one I quoted.
    Should have multiquoted.

Anyway, doesnt matter.

Shame for Charlie Sheen and all concerned. I'd reserve judgement though until it actually comes to let what happened, if he knew, etc.

What do you mean? I never implied anyone deserves HIV? My post was saying that many people won't have sympathy for these women because of what they do for a living. Doesnt mean I think like that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wow he's really fcuked his life up, also there's multiple rats leaking stuff to the press saying he's been using crack since 2010. I know all of his woes are probably self inflicted but I still feel sympathy for him.

What a life though

What a life though

I don't think the life of a HIV+ drug addict is anything to envy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Candie wrote: »
    I don't think the life of a HIV+ drug addict is anything to envy.

Boys will be boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

errlloyd wrote: »
    It is ridiculously difficult to contract it from vaginal sex alright. A German pop star who was hiv positive was sued by some of her sexual partners, but got off becuase her doctor had advised her the risks were very low.

However. Charlie Sheen was reported as having sexual partners from both genders, and I wouldn't rule out him being more adventurous than just vaginal sex.

I dunno if CS ever did intravenous drugs, but obviously that raises all sorts of issues too. Weird, when this thread opened, he'd already been diagnosed.

Both genders? First I've heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

XplaygirlX wrote:

No, no its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Both genders? First I've heard of it.

That's according to the national enquirer, which might be a terrible source, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

XplaygirlX wrote: »

Two and a half men is utter tripe. Obviously all the budget went on paying Charlie's wages because they sure didn't spend it on script writing

Boys will be boys.

Oh, you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Bree Olsen is in the media today saying Charlie never disclosed to her that he has HIV. She says they used lambskin condoms which don't prevent transmission of HIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Another of his exes became pregnant after a condom failure and had an abortion. She says she was never informed of his illness either. Personally, I don't believe that he told everyone, this is Charlie sheen we are talking about here. Does anyone really think that a person working in the adult film industry would risk it? I'd imagine he has paid off anyone else and they will have had to sign non disclosure agreements. Maybe that's what he calls blackmail?

Either way I hope he can stay healthy for the sake of his kids and grandkids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've seen him named all over the net for over a week now so it was no real secret, apparently he paid some of his former partners millions to keep quiet up until now.

If he went bareback knowing he had HIV he was a Grade A scumbag but I think people should wait and see if it's true first before judging him.

Doubt many would want to be with him now, no way would I go near someone who has HIV and I doubt I'm alone in thinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Doubt many would want to be with him now.

Money Money Money.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

anna080 wrote: »
    She says they used lambskin condoms which don't prevent transmission of HIV.

:eek:
    What the blazes are they?!

On second thought, I prefer not to know!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

XplaygirlX wrote: »

I despair. :(

Advertisement