Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming the Yearly Allowance for the Garda Reserve

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gabbytheking

Are there any other benefits or expenses given to reserves i.e. Medical/Travelling expenses/Food allowances etc. Just wondering as considering joining but thinking it may actually cost money at 1000 per year just travelling to and from station etc at say 26 shifts of 8 hours(208 total) travel at say 15 petrol(to limerick or other local(non resident) station) and 15 food equals an expense of 780 plus other expenses that are likely to arise dental, medical clothing etc. I just think I may be missing something. Part time fire brigade get 3k of a retainer and average of 15 per hour. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense that Garda reserve would get 1k per year and nothing else. I'm coming across very greedy here but that is not my intention just trying to get a full picture on the financial side.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

Nope, no other expenses are payable.

Only other that I have heard of is for HepB vaccinations that you get and submit a receipt together with a claim form that you get during your training.

There was "talk" of compensation of some sort if you need to take time off work for Court duty. But no one seemed to know anything about that or how it was claimed or from where.

By the by, just for everyone's info as the thread has been revived:

- Got claim form and instructions from Garda portal computer
    - contacted revenue to set up as employer with Zero tax credits assigned
    - Received new tax credit cert from revenue
    - Spoke to chap in my district station staff office. Your skipper should be able to give you a name.
    - Sent in completed claim form (included summary of hours worked in case they lost my R85s) together with copy of revenue cert.
    - Received "pay-slip" in the post to home. Overpaid by such an amount so as to make the net payment 1000.
    - Received 1000 euro transferred into my bank account.

All very handy. only took about 6 weeks from when I got my arse moving to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gabbytheking

djh wrote: »

Only other that I have heard of is for HepB vaccinations that you get and submit a receipt together with a claim form that you get during your training.

There was "talk" of compensation of some sort if you need to take time off work for Court duty. But no one seemed to know anything about that or how it was claimed or from where.

Thanks man, wouldn't be the part time option I was looking for in that case :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HighTower88

Just to clarify, Does the training phases account for 164 of your 208 hours for the year??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just to clarify, Does the training phases account for 164 of your 208 hours for the year??

I deleted my reply as it's now as: This has been answered above. I found those posts dated from 2009 in the main thread and moved them over for ease of access/info for everyone.

• Advertisement

I've had the three HepB vaccines done now and even got myself a tetanus booster. (yes I had side-effects, 3days of side-effects after the visit with the 3rd HepB vaccine & tetanus booster on the one-day but anywhoo...)

What I've done though is:
    - filled out the B.17 form as I went along to each visit
    - have a printout of the titre test results
    - have a print-out of total cost of visits for re-imbursement for HepB vaccines only

To be sent back to Garda Reserve Office, H.R.M ... address on the B.17 form.

This is all that's required for this as far as I am aware. I'll be sending mine on Wednesday, I'm sure if I am wrong with anything that's required, then I won't be long in finding out :)

kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Thanks for the reply-but in-between my last post I asked about it and they said to send off the completed form to the GR office but submit the receipts and a claim form to your district Garda office, they will do the refunds of monies???.. I am now confused officially ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Sorry K4S- though I was on some other tread... But post still applies to here anyhow!

Thanks for the reply-but in-between my last post I asked about it and they said to send off the completed form to the GR office but submit the receipts and a claim form to your district Garda office, they will do the refunds of monies???.. I am now confused officially ...
    Sorry K4S- though I was on some other tread... But post still applies to here anyhow!

I haven't a notion. I have a B.17 form complete now and the print-outs (mentioned above). The address on the B. 17 form states where to return it to, so that's straight-forward (surely this Kerry woman can get that piece correct) :rolleyes:

I'm going to send the titre-test results along with it and the other print-out and see what's returned. I'm in no rush anyways so, can play send the form back & forth as long as they want.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ais2012

Whats the story with getting your annual 1000euro??
    Im in the reserves for two years and never bothered.
    How do i go about it? How long will it take for me to get my mula? etc.... anyone here already claimed it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Hi can someone explain to me how you know when each roster ends and each new roster starts? as on the top of the form it says to put the date the roster ends.

Also where can more sheets be gotten if all the ones in the station are already used up?

Need a quick reply on this, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Hi can someone explain to me how you know when each roster ends and each new roster starts? as on the top of the form it says to put the date the roster ends.

Look for Garda Credit Union Calendar around the station. Each date is highlighted a colour. One day a month is highlighted white. The white day is the end of the roster.

Also where can more sheets be gotten if all the ones in the station are already used up?

Need a quick reply on this, thanks

As above:
    stiofanD wrote: »
    If you need the forms, search on the portal for 'R85' or 'Garda Reserve Allowance'. You'll find PDF versions of the R85 and the claim form there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Icecar

djh wrote: »

By the by, just for everyone's info as the thread has been revived:

- Got claim form and instructions from Garda portal computer
    - contacted revenue to set up as employer with Zero tax credits assigned
    - Received new tax credit cert from revenue
    - Spoke to chap in my district station staff office. Your skipper should be able to give you a name.
    - Sent in completed claim form (included summary of hours worked in case they lost my R85s) together with copy of revenue cert.
    - Received "pay-slip" in the post to home. Overpaid by such an amount so as to make the net payment 1000.
    - Received 1000 euro transferred into my bank account.

All very handy. only took about 6 weeks from when I got my arse moving to do it.

Court expenses are covered by getting a loss of earnings letter from your employer and submitting it with a note from your Sgt to the finance person in your stn or district.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

it is very scatty out where i am in DMR West. No problems with allowances before, but just because there's different skippers in district office now due to maternity covers, then all allowances are on long finger.
    God knows when i will get it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

clayton1 wrote: »
    it is very scatty out where i am in DMR West. No problems with allowances before, but just because there's different skippers in district office now due to maternity covers, then all allowances are on long finger.
    God knows when i will get it now

typical.....when its not their money..........

get onto them and get them to push it through. its your money and your entitled to it

could u imagine the uproar if that were a fulltimers allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Does anyone know if the claiming procedure differs if your unemployed at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ppaddy

Can you submit all of your hrs on one sheet and send off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

ppaddy wrote: »
    Can you submit all of your hrs on one sheet and send off
    No has to be by roster

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    No has to be by roster
    Just to clarify the process
    1. All your hours are recorded on the R85 and this is in line with the monthly roster. Start times ,finish times ,nature of duty etc
    2. This form is then signed by your skipper.
    3. Send original to the Reserve Liasion Inspector and keep copy for yourself
    4. Your claim year starts from the time you started your basic training in Templemore.
    5. At the end of each claim year you complete a yearly claim form , attach copies of all your R85's to it and send to Liasion Inspector who then get the Super to sign off. It is then sent to the Disctrict Finance officer.
    6. You contact your PAYE office and inform them that you are a GR and will require a Tax cert to be sent to Garda Pay section
    7. The pay section will gross up your €1000.00 (paying the tax and PRSI) and you get the full €1000.00 into your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

6. You contact your PAYE office and inform them that you are a GR and will require a Tax cert to be sent to Garda Pay section
    7. The pay section will gross up your €1000.00 (paying the tax and PRSI) and you get the full €1000.00 into your account.[/QUOTE]

--

Just on section 6 & 7, this is no longer required. There was a change inthe ruling about Jan / Feb this year and we are now being paid our €1000.00 as expenses rather than pay.

On a separate issue, there was a court case lately about a reserve and not being able to wear his turban. The Judge ruled that we are not employees of AGS as part of the Judgement.

I'm not sure why a letter was not sent out from Killarney to everyone, but i do know people who went looking for their P60's for last year got a letter for the revenue to say they were no longer being taxed on the allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    7. The pay section will gross up your €1000.00 (paying the tax and PRSI) and you get the full €1000.00 into your account.

--

Just on section 6 & 7, this is no longer required. There was a change inthe ruling about Jan / Feb this year and we are now being paid our €1000.00 as expenses rather than pay.

On a separate issue, there was a court case lately about a reserve and not being able to wear his turban. The Judge ruled that we are not employees of AGS as part of the Judgement.

I'm not sure why a letter was not sent out from Killarney to everyone, but i do know people who went looking for their P60's for last year got a letter for the revenue to say they were no longer being taxed on the allowance.
    [/QUOTE]

I was never taxed on the allowance the Dept always paid the tax to ensure the nett figure of €1000 was sent to my account

Advertisement