Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming the Yearly Allowance for the Garda Reserve

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi, how and when do reserves claim the expenses, do the training hours count for some of the years total of 208 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

I was just wondering how much of an allowance do you get for being i the reserves? I presume your travel expenses are covered anyway. Also with rerads to the medical and specifically the eye exam. I am a little shortsigted and was wondering what is the starndadrd required in terms of the eyesight

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering how much of an allowance do you get for being i the reserves? I presume your travel expenses are covered anyway. Also with rerads to the medical and specifically the eye exam. I am a little shortsigted and was wondering what is the starndadrd required in terms of the eyesight

You get a flat figure of €1,200 a year tax free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Just to let all gr's that are coming up to the end of the first year as a gr know, claiming your expenses - the time is taken from the first weekend in templemore (phase 1). So if you were in phase 1 on March 9th last year - your year is up on March 8th this year. One thing to note- on phase 4, you are required to do 40 hours, but if you did more than this as i know some people did you are only counted as 40 hours. If you do not reach the 208 hours in the year and even fall short by 1 hour, you will not receive the expenses. Just said i would mention it as for the first year as a gr people might not know that the training is counted as 138 hours only, no more no less. So don't get caught on the time scale!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Just to let all gr's that are coming up to the end of the first year as a gr, claiming your expenses - the time is taken from the first weekend in templemore (phase 1). So if you were in phase 1 on March 9th last year - your year is up on March 8th this year. One thing to note- on phase 4, you are required to do 40 hours, but if you did more than this as i know some people did you are only counted as 40 hours. If you do not reach the 208 hours in the year and even fall short by 1 hour, you will not receive the expenses. Just said i would mention it as for the first year as a gr people might not know that the training is counted as 138 hours only, no more no less. So don't get caught on time!:o

Hi, this is another cock up! Our bunch should have graduated in September, thus giving us plenty of time until March 2009 to work in the remaining hours. However as you know it was November again we were attested, thus only giving us a few months to work in the acquired time!
    I think this will have to be looked at as most of us would have done 80 hours in phase 4 while waiting to be attested. Did they want us to the 40 hours and then sit at home for 3 months until November?:mad:

Just to let all gr's that are coming up to the end of the first year as a gr know, claiming your expenses - the time is taken from the first weekend in templemore (phase 1). So if you were in phase 1 on March 9th last year - your year is up on March 8th this year. One thing to note- on phase 4, you are required to do 40 hours, but if you did more than this as i know some people did you are only counted as 40 hours. If you do not reach the 208 hours in the year and even fall short by 1 hour, you will not receive the expenses. Just said i would mention it as for the first year as a gr people might not know that the training is counted as 138 hours only, no more no less. So don't get caught on the time scale!:o

There is no time limit for claiming your expenses just you cannot claim them until you do 70 hours after graduation. As some know graduations were put off for six months last year and as you cannot start your final 70 hrs till after you graduate it would nearly be impossible to complete within 1 year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Jack O'Neill

As far as I am aware you can still submit your year's hours and claim a pro rata amount of the allowance - now I could be wrong. But over the years each intake is told different things about everything - that's what we were told! Especially with the delay in Graduating and the short window you had to work the hours after training. Also remember your year starts from the first day of Phase I.

On the taking a year off thing - you don't have to rejoin unless you've actually resigned from the service. Speak to your liaison officer locally, I'm sure the sabbatical would be accomodated satisfactorily.

See you all in Westmanstown this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

anyone claimed the expenses yet, I mean actually gotten them by now, what was the procedure ? PM Me if you dont wish to post info, thanks.

anyone claimed the expenses yet, I mean actually gotten them by now, what was the procedure ? PM Me if you dont wish to post info, thanks.

Just about to, tomorrow. I will ask my Serg. as he has done it before for another GR. Will let you know what he says :)

Yeap, I simply gave my R85 to my Serg. and he said he would do the rest, he has done it for another Reserve so I left it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Hi all,

Does anyone know how much the Annual allowance is for the Garda Reserve? It says on the site "A reserve member shall be paid by the Garda Commissioner in respect of expenses incurred in performing functions as a reserve member an annual allowance in an amount not exceeding the amount that may be determined by the Minister for Finance".

anyone any ideas??? Thanks for all your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Mark37 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know how much the Annual allowance is for the Garda Reserve? It says on the site "A reserve member shall be paid by the Garda Commissioner in respect of expenses incurred in performing functions as a reserve member an annual allowance in an amount not exceeding the amount that may be determined by the Minister for Finance".

anyone any ideas??? Thanks for all your help.

€1,000. Dont know how you claim or if you have to prove expenses but thats the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ryu_fantana

€1,000. Dont know how you claim or if you have to prove expenses but thats the limit.

nice_guy_always is correct. Its €1,000 a year.

You should be completing an R85 form every roster, which your skipper will look after. Once you've completed a year, your skipper will receive a claim form, which you will have to complete and which is then sent off for processing and payment by your skipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

any GR been to court yet?

If you've to take time off work to appear in court, how does that work out with regard to expences?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

lehanemore wrote: »
    any GR been to court yet?

If you've to take time off work to appear in court, how does that work out with regard to expences?:confused:

Reserves will never be in court, there is no need for them too.

Think it was just put in the Garda Siochana act 2005 just encase it ever did happen in the unlikely event

nice_guy_always is correct. Its €1,000 a year.

You should be completing an R85 form every roster, which your skipper will look after. Once you've completed a year, your skipper will receive a claim form, which you will have to complete and which is then sent off for processing and payment by your skipper.

All correct above, but they lodge it into your account now instead of a cheque, so have your bank account number, prsi table, prsi number,etc...handy for the claim form and Kilarney will take care of the rest. Usually payment is made at the end of every month.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

All correct above, but they lodge it into your account now instead of a cheque, so have your bank account number, prsi table, prsi number,etc...handy for the claim form and Kilarney will take care of the rest. Usually payment is made at the end of every month.:o

It was always lodged into your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Usually payment is made at the end of every month.:o

wait now, I thought it was a once a year payment of 1K, you're saying it gets pain every month?

is this by choice, ie can you leave it until a year has passed and get the 1K on one payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ryu_fantana

wait now, I thought it was a once a year payment of 1K, you're saying it gets pain every month?

is this by choice, ie can you leave it until a year has passed and get the 1K on one payment?

i'm open to correction...but as far as i know the sub is paid after you've completed your commitment of 208hrs...

Ya the payment is made after you do the 208 hours within 1 year only and no other way, it is one payment only not bits every month. When you submit your form, it takes 2 weeks to process and depending on what time of the month the form was submitted they pay out on the end of each month. So if you handed it in on the 24th of september 09 after completing your 208 hours within 1 year lets say, you will not be paid until the end of december, and so on and so on. But if you handed the form in in the middle of the month you should be paid at the end of that month. Hope that explains it a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey what if you put a lot more time in lets say if you were unemployed and you did double the amount of time required say you did 408 hours instead of 204 hours, would you get 2,000 then for that year as it says you will be payed after every 2 hours???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Hey what if you put a lot more time in lets say if you were unemployed and you did double the amount of time required say you did 408 hours instead of 204 hours, would you get 2,000 then for that year as it says you will be payed after every 2 hours???:confused:

Nope, €1000 a year no more. You can do more hours but you will not get extra allowance for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

can anyone remember how much the training takes up of the 208hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

WilcoOut wrote: »
    can anyone remember how much the training takes up of the 208hours?

About 124 hours from phase 1-4? 14+56+14+40

eru123 wrote: »
    About 124 hours from phase 1-4? 14+56+14+40

Nice one!

what about ASP and Pepper Spray Training, are they included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Nice one!

what about ASP and Pepper Spray Training, are they included?

approximately 6 hours for ASP and 3 for CS gas, which would not be included in the above. I also think that officially the other five phases are considered as 120 hours? And when in training in Phase IV you are likely to do more than your 40 hours.

lst wrote: »
    approximately 6 hours for ASP and 3 for CS gas, which would not be included in the above. I also think that officially the other five phases are considered as 120 hours? And when in training in Phase IV you are likely to do more than your 40 hours.

cheers for that

but on Phases IV, only the minimum 40 hours apply.

exceeding 40hours is allowed of course, but it does not count towards your allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

Hi folks,

Celebrated the first year as a Garda Reserve last month, and have asked the skipper about the yearly expenses of 1000 euro. He doesn't know anything about it unfortunately.

- Wondering if anyone on here has recently claimed/recieveed the allowance and what the mechanics of it are?

- Also, a classmate (who received a form from her skipper) got her payment but it was taxed at the higher rate of PAYE, leaving them with only 560 or so.
    Anyone know if this is correct? I had thought that it was an expenses claim and not income so not liable for tax.

Cheers,
    -DeeJay

B&stards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Princess_J

Call your local revenue office, tell them you're a Garda Reserve and ask them to forward your current tax certificate to the Dept of Justice through ROS. Employer no: <mod snip>. Your super will submit your R85's and you should have your payment within a month.
    You should get 1000 as they need to pay the tax on your behalf, which is why they need your tax cert, to calculate the value of tax they need to pay so you get €1000 net!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

If you need the forms, search on the portal for 'R85' or 'Garda Reserve Allowance'. You'll find PDF versions of the R85 and the claim form there.

Advertisement