Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenge -- yes or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nah. Unless its immediately after something nasty has been done to me. But I'd probably never talk to the person again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Not a fan of revenge of the physical variety.

Best revenge is to hit people where it really hurts....the pocket.

Sure isn't that what solicitors are for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Personally, I don't really bother with revenge, but some of my friends see things differently.

My friend was getting good friends with some guy. His girlfriend didn't like this and made them stop talking. So my friend decided to get revenge. Over about 2 months she worked on seceretly getting friends with the guy, got him to her house She convinced him to play strip blackjack. She took photos of them together in just his boxers. She put these on the internet for the girlfriend to see. Conviently, the guy had a bruise on his side which the girlfriend decided was a hickey. They broke up the next week.

Poor chap. He certainly didn't deserve to be dumped for your friend's amusement. Doesn't sound like a nice girl. It also sounds like he didn't even get da roide.

OP, I think most of the time it's best to just let something go but occasionally when someone does something that not only affects you but goes against basic human decency or showing compassion for other people, then it's appropriate to issue a measured response. That is, one that goes well beyond whatever it is they have done and will remind them of their transgressions every time they look in the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I could crush him like an ant, but it would be too easy. No, revenge is a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until... oh, what the hell, I'll just crush him like an ant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

There's nothing like revenge for getting back at people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Conviently, the guy had a bruise on his side which the girlfriend decided was a hickey. They broke up the next week.

Does your friend live in an eighties sitcom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Glenster wrote: »

hey whats wrong with the word hickey!

What do you call them, a "L-L-Love Bite".. get off my internet frenchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Honestly i dont think revenge is ever a good idea, i mean when you dwell so much on something it cant be a good idea really.

Best to forget but you sure as hell dont have to forgive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Revenge is good.

I got a battering when i was about 15. The fella was about 18-19 at the time and kicked off with me.. I was high as a kite so put up little fight.

I brought the mrs back to the uk a few years back and ended up at a house party and the same dude was there... Every time I left the room he was takin the pi55 out of the mrs's irish accent... I figured this out and promptly gave him an absolute hiding...

So yes revenge is good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

Spunge wrote: »
    Beta as fúck

I really have no idea what you mean by this :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

HoneyRyder wrote: »
    I really have no idea what you mean by this :confused:

Think they meant this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_(ethology)

bronte wrote: »

So not believing in revenge is Beta as opposed to Alpha behaviour?!
    Either that or Spunge has a fondess for text speak. Maybe I just need more coffee..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Ah, the best revenge is living well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

In kind is never enough, but chopping them into small pieces might suffice. That's what I usually think... I never seem to get around to doing it though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It depends ,some people have zero tolerance and it doesn't take much to set them on the revenge trail so a bit of Zen philosophy ( let it go ) can make up for any shortcomings .But if the stakes are high then revenge can sometimes seem the only option .

Being happy is the best revenge of all .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Glenster wrote: »
    Why, what do you call them? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Personally, I don't really bother with revenge, but some of my friends see things differently.

My friend was getting good friends with some guy. His girlfriend didn't like this and made them stop talking. So my friend decided to get revenge. Over about 2 months she worked on seceretly getting friends with the guy, got him to her house She convinced him to play strip blackjack. She took photos of them together in just his boxers. She put these on the internet for the girlfriend to see. Conviently, the guy had a bruise on his side which the girlfriend decided was a hickey. They broke up the next week.

WOW now that's just pure nasty!!

I nearly was about to vote yes in the poll until I thought perhaps I have a very different viewpoint of revenge than others!

When I was younger, as in teenage years, I'd take "revenge" on guyss I liked who ended up being arses/guy I was kissing was with someone else or something else as trivial. But NEVER would I do anything like that even in my young and silly years.

When I think back now, my revenge seems completely silly rather than evil, for example a guy I was seeing for a couple of weeks (oh the days when a relationship meant you met a bloke more than twice!) and he decided he wanted to be with someone else....he was quite obessive over the cleaness of his runners, so I put dirt on them....nothing that couldn't be washed off, just pain mud

:o I'll never make an evil accomplice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I always get revenge.

I'm just a very patient person, and I'm perfectly capable of making sure no-one knows it was me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Revenge is a dish best served cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Really depends on the situation in question - whether it warrants revenge or just moving on, the latter which could be revenge in and of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

just don't torment yourself in the process, you may end up with the emotional equivalent of an ingrown toenail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

BengaLover wrote: »
    Pop a poo in the post and send it to em.
    Satisfaction garuanteed.

Hey guys, it's sharon osbourne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

HoneyRyder wrote: »
    Nope, for me rising above it and retaining my dignity is the best revenge.

This.

And a fork in the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's good to rise above it, but sometimes people say/do stuff they shouldn't be allowed get away with - there comes a point when ignoring becomes being a push-over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

sorry , meant to start new thread there. ignore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

The-Rigger wrote: »
    And a fork in the eye.

just a question, sunshine n lollipops mod.. is the ! button broke on your computer? !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

just a question, sunshine n lollipops mod.. is the ! button broke on your computer? !

No!

Dudess wrote: »
    there comes a point when ignoring becomes being a push-over.

It doesn't have to be an extreme case of either full-on ignoring or all-out revenge though. There is a middle ground where you can make it clearly known that you don't accept somebody's behaviour without resorting to extremes like ignoring them or pursuing revenge.

It's just called being in control of your emotions and able to communicate
    i.e. a rational adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

just don't torment yourself in the process, you may end up with the emotional equivalent of an ingrown toenail
    Once you've made your mind up .....Do it .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

This old saying that you might of heard..
    "The man who goes looking for revenge, he should dig two graves"

I think this means that after killing your enemy you need to kill one of his friends or family or something. Not sure how you're supposed to pick which one.

Advertisement