Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescriptions.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Some of the generic brands are more expensive than the branded ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

bleg wrote: »

not quite true - a 'generic' drug means the chemical name of the drug - rather than a brand name. In other words an antibiotic like amoxicillin is manufactured by a number of companies and comes under names like Amoxil and Clonamox. If the doctor prescribes the drug under the generic (ie. chemical ) name 'Amoxicillin', the pharmicist then dispenses (or should dispense) the cheapest one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

not quite true - a 'generic' drug means the chemical name of the drug - rather than a brand name. In other words an antibiotic like amoxicillin is manufactured by a number of companies and comes under names like Amoxil and Clonamox. If the doctor prescribes the drug under the generic (ie. chemical ) name 'Amoxicillin', the pharmicist then dispenses (or should dispense) the cheapest one.

Not a correct reply at all, Bleg is completely right.
    A lot of branded drugs are now cheaper than the generics.Under Irish law if the generic version is prescribed the pharmacist id free to dispense whichever version they want not necessarily the cheapist.
    Ideally Irish Doctors should prescribe the cheapist branded version of the drug.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not a correct reply at all, Bleg is completely right.
    A lot of branded drugs are now cheaper than the generics.Under Irish law if the generic version is prescribed the pharmacist id free to dispense whichever version they want not necessarily the cheapist.
    Ideally Irish Doctors should prescribe the cheapist branded version of the drug.

You misunderstand me. If the doctor prescribes the generic version - then the pharmacist is at liberty to dispense the cheapest version of the medication. If the doctor prescribes a brand name drug - then they have to prescribe that particular formulation of it. I would be very impressed if many doctors were able to keep up with current medication prices and which version is the cheapest.

Therefore - if you use the generic name of the medication on the prescription, the pharmacist should be giving you the cheapest version of it.

Yea but doctors don't usually use the generic name, they usually use a generic brand, like Ramilo or Amlid for ramipril and amlodipine respectively.

Oh and there is a difference between the generic name and the branded generic name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

not quite true ...
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Not a correct reply at all, Bleg is completely right...
    You misunderstand me...

I think you are the one doing the misunderstanding here.

Bleg's statement was not only 100% correct, but also easily verifiable.
    There's a very special kind of arrogance involved when someone says "Not quite true" to such a statement and then "You misunderstand me" when they're pulled up on it.

Would you not just have the balls to hold up your hand and say "I'm sorry, I misunderstood you"?

You are at the bottom of a deep hole. Stop digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I think you are the one doing the misunderstanding here.

Bleg's statement was not only 100% correct, but also easily verifiable.
    There's a very special kind of arrogance involved when someone says "Not quite true" to such a statement and then "You misunderstand me" when they're pulled up on it.

Would you not just have the balls to hold up your hand and say "I'm sorry, I misunderstood you"?

Easy...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

People have been giving you a hard time over this, I don't agree. You got confused between generic and generic brand but your point still stands that GPs should be prescribing generic all the time. Then the pharmacist should give the cheapest version. It's not for GPs to be keeping track of prices of brands, they can change all the time and are different in different jurisdictions, as are the names. A locum from Oz/Asia might not be familiar with the names used here. Using generic names all the time is by far the most sensible option.

Hey - I'm just trying to make a point - getting insulting has no part to play in a discussion!

Define Generic brand- a simple search
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=define+generic+brand

a. Not having a brand name
    b. Of or being a drug sold under or identified by its official nonproprietary or chemical name

Not to be pedantic - but generic implies the drug name - which as Orly said - is how drugs should be prescribed. The original patented name is what people typically call the 'brand name' but other companies produce their version of the drug under their own brand once the patent expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I seem to remember this being explained to me before when I worked in pharmacy that the computerised programmes used to generate scripts in GPs surgeries could not write up the generic name of the drug (e.g. atenolol) and instead had to choose a branded generic (e.g. Atenomel) which Irish law then insisted on the pharmacy dispensing meaning the pharmacy I worked in kept every brand available even though there would have been no issue with generic substitution in this case. Keeping all those brands, including the ones you didn't ever dispense cost money.

That was over 10 years ago and it looks like things haven't changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

Pharmacists have a business to run, in the case where a drug is written generically on a script, they will dispense the generic that makes them the most profit, not necessarily the cheapest for the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

smtdos wrote: »
    Pharmacists have a business to run, in the case where a drug is written generically on a script, they will dispense the generic that makes them the most profit, not necessarily the cheapest for the customer.

I work in a pharmacy and have never seen that happen. To be honest there is very little profit anyway.

The biggest problem is that we have to dispense what is on the script. To dispense otherwise is classed as fraud.

Also they will dispense what generic product they have. It would be impossible to stock all generic brands and with the recent cuts the branded product may be the cheapest for both the pharmacist and patient to buy

FluffyCat wrote: »
    I work in a pharmacy and have never seen that happen. To be honest there is very little profit anyway.

The biggest problem is that we have to dispense what is on the script. To dispense otherwise is classed as fraud.

Also they will dispense what generic product they have. It would be impossible to stock all generic brands and with the recent cuts the branded product may be the cheapest for both the pharmacist and patient to buy

Im not suggesting stocking all generic brands as an option but surely the one stocked should be the most profitable.

Gone are the days of stocking the generic of your favourite/most charming rep, the one with the best bonus is picked.

Im not suggesting stocking all generic brands as an option but surely the one stocked should be the most profitable.

Gone are the days of stocking the generic of your favourite/most charming rep, the one with the best bonus is picked.

If that was the case then all pharmacies would have the exact same generic profile... most definitely not the case.

If that was the case then all pharmacies would have the exact same generic profile... most definitely not the case.

I don't agree that pharmacies would end up with the same generic profile if the most profitable generic is stocked.

All pharmacies have different negotiating power and business acumen (e.g. chains) and hence end up stocking different generics based on deals agreed with reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Disagree. All pharmacies have different negotiating power and business acumen (e.g. chains) and hence end up stocking different generics based on deals agreed with reps.

Surely, you should agree with bleg on his last point then?

scanlant wrote: »
    Surely, you should agree with bleg on his last point then?

All I'm saying is that IMO pharmacies stock the most profitable generic for their business and that this may differ from pharmacy to pharmacy based on deals agreed. Apologies for being unclear with last post.

Hey - I'm just trying to make a point - getting insulting has no part to play in a discussion!

Define Generic brand- a simple search
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=define+generic+brand

a. Not having a brand name
    b. Of or being a drug sold under or identified by its official nonproprietary or chemical name

Not to be pedantic - but generic implies the drug name - which as Orly said - is how drugs should be prescribed. The original patented name is what people typically call the 'brand name' but other companies produce their version of the drug under their own brand once the patent expires.

You still miss the point.

Many originator medicines are now cheaper than their generic counterparts. That's the point, not the (factually correct btw) tangent you have taken.

All I'm saying is that IMO pharmacies stock the most profitable generic for their business and that this may differ from pharmacy to pharmacy based on deals agreed. Apologies for being unclear with last post.

You might want to edit your post then because you disagree with bleg's point then agree with it in the next sentence. :)

scanlant wrote: »
    You might want to edit your post then because you disagree with bleg's point then agree with it in the next sentence. :)

Done :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Frusterlum

If you believe that,
    1. The prescription charge is a tax on sickness,
    2. The tax ought to be abolished,
    3. A single-issue forum to end the charge will succeed,
    THEN let's do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

The recent budget announced an increase in the medical card co-payment from 50c an item to 1.50 an item. There was also an announcement increasing the DPS payment from 132 to 144 euros.

To date (24/12/2012) there has not been any confirming letter from the HSE to any of the Health professionals. The HSE has not written to GPs or pharmacists in relation to these price increases which are due to be introduced on 1/1/2013.

Advertisement